Is Shadow warrior best FPS in recent memory?

• 59 results
SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT
Member since 2014 • 658 Posts

Hello everyone

Im currently playing Shadow warrior and its my 3rd playthrough and i cant stop playing. i love how They nail it. i mean this is what FPS is all about. proper old school game. with exploration, fast paced gameplay and it has surprisingly a good story and one of the best protagonist ever Lo wang. i just LOVE his dialouges. sometimes i laugh. he is such a badass.

from the gameplay point of view the melee is probably best i have ever seen. its so much fun to cut demons with katana. gunplay was also good. pacing was decent. its probably best FPS i have played in years.

in my opinion this is best FPS in years. what do you think? do you think it is??

Regards

System-Reboot-

Nanomage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3 Nanomage
Member since 2011 • 2371 Posts

It was the best in 2013 that´s for sure.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Nah, The Master Chief Collection comes out in a few months.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Wolfenstein: The New Order came out this year.

That game is great.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@jg4xchamp said:

That game is great.

i thought new wolfenstien was crap. i just cant finish it once. too much on rail.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

That game is great.

I haven't played Shadow Warrior yet but I will...however I agree that Wolfenstein: New Order was special.

Maybe I am an average player but the AI was challenging, making the game pretty intense.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Far Cry 3

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

It was decent but also extremely repetitive. It still has nothing on the classic.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jg4xchamp

@system-reboot said:

@jg4xchamp said:

That game is great.

too much on rail.

OOOOOOOO....I get it, you didn't play the game.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I was decent but also extremely repetitive. It still has nothing on the classic.

i thought it was better than classic...

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

the game looks like it was made in the 90's, no wonder you like it....

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@jg4xchamp said:

@system-reboot said:

@jg4xchamp said:

That game is great.

too much on rail.

i stop playing it after that moon level. by on rail i mean scripted linear follow path. there was not enough shooting to proclaim it as old school shooter. not to mention broken stealth with some of the worse AI ever.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ReadingRainbow4

@system-reboot said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I was decent but also extremely repetitive. It still has nothing on the classic.

I loved classics level design, this was more like hard reset.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@system-reboot said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Thats harsh.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Shadow Warrior was pretty good but it doesn't hold a candle to Wolfenstein TNO and Far Cry 3

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ReadingRainbow4

@mems_1224 said:
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@system-reboot said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Thats harsh.

I'm nothing if not a paragon for truth.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

Indeed it is.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jg4xchamp

@system-reboot said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@system-reboot said:

too much on rail.

i stop playing it after that moon level. by on rail i mean scripted linear follow path. there was not enough shooting to proclaim it as old school shooter. not to mention broken stealth with some of the worse AI ever.

Let me get this straight, as a primarily PC FPS elitist who doesn't like console shooter trash (I got the lingo down right? right? right?) thinks that Wolfenstein was this super scripted linear follow path.

A game where the following happens when you pull the trigger

Let me get this straight. In a game where there are health packs, body armor, and the level design is built around a mixture of level by level shooters of today, with the open secrets driven feel of old. Minus the shitty repetition of environmental design of old. So you get encounters that are built for you to be sneaky in multiple different (yes the AI is dumb in stealth, fair point), or you can run n gun, or you can play wack a mole if you really need to. For instance you could run in buck wild and shoot everybody, because instead of being a 2 weapon bullshit the game has a weapon wheel, and fucking dual wielding. Dual wielding pistols and assault rifles for maximum efficiency. Dual wielding sniper rifles because the devs wanted to say "you can dual wield sniper rifles". And more importantly Dual Wielding Automatic Shotguns, Why? Because **** it, that's why.

In that game, where you have the option to handle encounters to either run n gun like it's the 90s, or be sneaky in a shooter where the game needs genuine maps. As seen by exhibit C

and actual exploring rewards you with secrets, unlocks (which eventually unlock 999 mode, aka unlimited ammo mode, because unlimited dual wielding auto shotguns, Why? because **** it, that's why). And hey that guard that can put the base on alert and create respawning enemies can be found in compromising situations like this:

You're telling me. That game, with all that going on. With it's variety of combat encounters revolving around stealth, boss fights (okay those were lame), run n gun, shooting galleries, battles of attrition, wack a mole, and all that jazz because unlike Nazi's, Wolfenstein don't discriminate to how you want to play the game...you know, unless you a shitty Nazi. You are telling me in your infinite PC Shooter affair, this game that was clearly CLEARLY built to be played on the grand daddy of all FPS interfaces the glorious mouse and keyboard with its lovely lean n peak and jazz. You're telling me that you played that game as just any other on rail, scripted shooter? And your pussy got wet for Shadow Warrior?

You played the game wrong Sniper.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@jg4xchamp: sniper doesnt play games, he just talks shit. he was making up all sorts of crap up about splinter cell black list without having actually played the game, he called it conviction 2.0 lol

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

That game is great.

yup, Best FPS in years,

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@Gue1 said:

the game looks like it was made in the 90's, no wonder you like it....

Joke?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jg4xchamp

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@jg4xchamp: sniper doesnt play games, he just talks shit. he was making up all sorts of crap up about splinter cell black list without having actually played the game, he called it conviction 2.0 lol

Conviction 2.0 is technically accurate, because really it's like "hey what if they had done what they were going for in Conviction, just not shit this time". And that's what game is. It's not the cerebral tense experience Chaos Theory is, and is very much stealth for bitches. But, it's actual good action stealth. The level design is more open, and in general does what the best mission in Conviction did (that mansion in the early going): give you pocket sandboxes to **** around in.

It gives you options, abilities, and rewards you for thinking more creatively, even if none of it is ever actually tense the way Splinter Cell used to be. So yeah I wouldn't exactly dismiss Conviction 2.0, because it is still very much Conviction ideas, just not shit.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

I still haven't played Shadow Warrior yet, I'm going to add it to my wishlist for the next steam sale. Thanks for the reminder!

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Wolfenstein: The New Order is easily the best fps in many many years

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#26 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

LOL SNIPER's opinion

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I really liked it, but for me to call it an FPS is somewhat ingenuous since I spent 95% of the game hacking dudes up with the sword

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Conviction 2.0 is technically accurate, because really it's like "hey what if they had done what they were going for in Conviction, just not shit this time". And that's what game is. It's not the cerebral tense experience Chaos Theory is, and is very much stealth for bitches. But, it's actual good action stealth. The level design is more open, and in general does what the best mission in Conviction did (that mansion in the early going): give you pocket sandboxes to **** around in.

It gives you options, abilities, and rewards you for thinking more creatively, even if none of it is ever actually tense the way Splinter Cell used to be. So yeah I wouldn't exactly dismiss Conviction 2.0, because it is still very much Conviction ideas, just not shit.

he called it conviction 2.0 to discredit it as a stealth game and claimed it was a simple action shooter, that is flat out wrong. i cant compare it to chaos theory because i got bored of that game after playing it for 15min.

fgjnfgh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fgjnfgh
Member since 2005 • 2649 Posts

Best FPS for me is Metroid Prime on GC

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@ghostwarrior786 said:

Blacklist pretty much was Conviction 2.0; it simply expanded on Convictions gameplay by adding more stealth elements, but at its heart, it still uses the conviction line-of-sight/convenient chest-high-props style stealth in comparison to the light/dark w/noise stealth of the FAR superior Chaos Theory. Chaos Theory and the earlier Splinter Cell games had stealth systems almost identical to the stealth systems used in the original Thief games, whereas the newer Splinter Cells use a more common TPS style stealth system that relies on moving from chest high cover to chest high cover unseen.

@fgjnfgh I'd consider Metroid Prime a first-person adventure game rather than an FPS; one of my favorite games of all time, but the lock on feature imo invalidates it from being an FPS.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Yes , it is indeed . No doubt about that . Lo Wang was also the most badass character of 2013 .

Loading Video...

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SYSTEM-REBOOT

@jg4xchamp said:

I was Huge fan of RTCW and i dissapointed by this. this game is nothing on RTCW. infact they ruin everything was good about RTCW. i mean first of look at movement. slow movement with console sprint. you shoot while you cant run. hold alt to lean . why not Q and E??

and yes game has so many shitty cutscenes its not even funny. and useless love story (and poorly done too)

now look at fast paced movements

look at this

as for TNO i enjoy at first. then i was forced and finally i Quit. this should have been made by same guys who did RTCW.

@Cloud_imperium said:

Yes , it is indeed . No doubt about that . Lo Wang was also the most badass character of 2013 .

Prologue was so amazing i mean dialogue betwen Lo wang and one who is going to sale sword was pure gold. how lo wang negotiate is simply amazing.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#33  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I thought it had its problems; it's completely overrated by old-school FPS purists. But then again, those guys will take what they can get.

The upgrade system that it had has no place in Shadow Warrior. All it did was make the game boring for half of its the game

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#34 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Let me get this straight, as a primarily PC FPS elitist who doesn't like console shooter trash (I got the lingo down right? right? right?) thinks that Wolfenstein was this super scripted linear follow path.

Let me get this straight. In a game where there are health packs, body armor, and the level design is built around a mixture of level by level shooters of today, with the open secrets driven feel of old. Minus the shitty repetition of environmental design of old. So you get encounters that are built for you to be sneaky in multiple different (yes the AI is dumb in stealth, fair point), or you can run n gun, or you can play wack a mole if you really need to. For instance you could run in buck wild and shoot everybody, because instead of being a 2 weapon bullshit the game has a weapon wheel, and fucking dual wielding. Dual wielding pistols and assault rifles for maximum efficiency. Dual wielding sniper rifles because the devs wanted to say "you can dual wield sniper rifles". And more importantly Dual Wielding Automatic Shotguns, Why? Because **** it, that's why.

In that game, where you have the option to handle encounters to either run n gun like it's the 90s, or be sneaky in a shooter where the game needs genuine maps. As seen by exhibit C

and actual exploring rewards you with secrets, unlocks (which eventually unlock 999 mode, aka unlimited ammo mode, because unlimited dual wielding auto shotguns, Why? because **** it, that's why). And hey that guard that can put the base on alert and create respawning enemies can be found in compromising situations like this:

You're telling me. That game, with all that going on. With it's variety of combat encounters revolving around stealth, boss fights (okay those were lame), run n gun, shooting galleries, battles of attrition, wack a mole, and all that jazz because unlike Nazi's, Wolfenstein don't discriminate to how you want to play the game...you know, unless you a shitty Nazi. You are telling me in your infinite PC Shooter affair, this game that was clearly CLEARLY built to be played on the grand daddy of all FPS interfaces the glorious mouse and keyboard with its lovely lean n peak and jazz. You're telling me that you played that game as just any other on rail, scripted shooter? And your pussy got wet for Shadow Warrior?

You played the game wrong Sniper.

I have to admit, those are some badass gifs. Makes me want to pick the game up.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jg4xchamp

@system-reboot said:

I was Huge fan of RTCW and i dissapointed by this. this game is nothing on RTCW. infact they ruin everything was good about RTCW. i mean first of look at movement. slow movement with console sprint. you shoot while you cant run. hold alt to lean . why not Q and E??

and yes game has so many shitty cutscenes its not even funny. and useless love story (and poorly done too)

now look at fast paced movements

Key bindings fix your q and e issue, learn 2 pc game.

RTCW had a trash campaign (awesome mp though), you absolutely can run n shoot. It's your fault for playing that game boring. Truly a talent you took fun, and made it not fun. Way to go sport. Videogame stories suck, more at 11.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

I need to get me a copy of Wolfenstein.

I've been interested in it since one of the first trailers (which was insanely badass).

It looks so good.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@jg4xchamp said:

Key bindings fix your q and e issue, learn 2 pc game.

RTCW had a trash campaign (awesome mp though), you absolutely can run n shoot. It's your fault for playing that game boring. Truly a talent you took fun, and made it not fun. Way to go sport. Videogame stories suck, more at 11.

RTCW was what Doom 3 should have been (althought Doom 3 was excellent too no doubt). RTCW doesnot have iron sights, have amazing soundtracks, better pacing, better gunplay and more variety of enemies. only same human enemies in new order? lame. and RTCW doesnot have follow someone linearly and cutscene and big icon show where to go .

padaporra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By padaporra
Member since 2005 • 3508 Posts

Hm, might give it a look. Sometime ago I created a topic asking for FPS that didn't try to be CoD, I have played some like Bioshock Infinite, but I wanted to see if there were more. Since there I played Far Cry 3 and Rage, the former was incredible and the latter ok, both left me satisfied.

We really need more daring FPS.

Btw, Splinter Cell Blacklist is a 5 stars game.

byhzyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By byhzyy
Member since 2014 • 48 Posts

shadow warrior is a great fps i liked it so much

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

Yep along with Wolfenstein TNO.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

"Good" gunplay and decent pacing makes it the best FPS in recent years,seriously?

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@MonsieurX said:

"Good" gunplay and decent pacing makes it the best FPS in recent years,seriously?

theres other thing i explain. try it first you will see. Lo wang is enough for this game.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

Shadow Warrior? ...not sure if I have much interest, besides, the best FPS (at least imo) is Perfect Dark (the N64 version, not the XBox versions.)

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SYSTEM-REBOOT

@Toph_Girl250 said:

Shadow Warrior? ...not sure if I have much interest, besides, the best FPS (at least imo) is Perfect Dark (the N64 version, not the XBox versions.)

I mean in recent years. not all time beside i think perfect dark was bad.

FPS should be like Doom, Quake, Blood, Half life etc.

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

NO. I played the game i liked the game but it gets a bit repetitive midway through the campaign and the lack of enemy variation hurts the game (still killing enemies with the sword is immensely fun ). A good game worth its money but i can think at least another 10 better fps games ( FC3,Stalker games,Crysis 1/warhead,Battlefield 3, Serious Sam games and Metro games )

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

@system-reboot said:

@Toph_Girl250 said:

I mean in recent years. not all time beside i think perfect dark was bad.

FPS should be like Doom, Quake, Blood, Half life etc.

But Perfect Dark is not bad, only you...

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

That game is great.

I'm surprised with some with taste as refined as you enjoy it.

It really is a solid game.

SYSTEM-REBOOT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SYSTEM-REBOOT
@Toph_Girl250 said:

As a FPS veteran who have played too many FPS since decades i would say it sure is. might be good for nintendo 64 like goldeneye. but not for FPS standard.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

Mods gonna cut you down, Sniper.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#50 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

@system-reboot said:
@Toph_Girl250 said:

As a FPS veteran who have played too many FPS since decades i would say it sure is. might be good for nintendo 64 like goldeneye. but not for FPS standard.

An excellent admirable point my friend. While these console titles have aged badly, Halflife incredibly still makes modern FPS look poor. Amazings.