Is PS4's Japan support its golden gun?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45089 Posts

Do you think X1 or PC will be able to match this? It looks like Japan is all on board for Sony. Obviously, this isn't true for all franchises, like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. But generally speaking? The fact that we have From Software on board is great. Level 5 too. Persona, Deep Down, Dragon Quest Heroes, God Eater, Tales Games, Disgaea and more. I'm really looking forward to it. Reminds me of the PS1 days. What about you, SW? Do you care about Japan?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

I care about Japan games. SCE Japan is one of the most versatile devs out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 deactivated-5a7fcf5e55c95
Member since 2011 • 2103 Posts

PlayStation definitely has a lot probably the most Japanese dev support, but PC is increasingly getting the amount of Japanese support as well. Maybe not the biggest titles ever, but it's getting there.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Japanese games are the only reason I'm even a gamer, so I hope the support is strong for my future console of choice. And that they can do better games, or let's say more games that are to my liking, compared to the ones they released on consoles the last generation.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

I don't think so, compared to 3DS, the interest in PS4 is miniscule at best and you know it's true. By the way the only Japanese games that interest me are on Nintendo systems.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Salt_The_Fries

Sony isn't even Japanese now. Only Nintendo is. Sony are Weeaboos at best.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

consoles are weak in japan, they support sony, not that much the ps4

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

...a one shot pistol made out of tacky crap?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Salt_The_Fries

Scott, what you've said about Xbox is not true, as they've released a lot of new Japanese IPs and exclusives last gen. And this gen you see Xbox roster being colourful and diverse and PS4 is geared towards gritty shooters like Killzone and The Order.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

The Japanese are trend followers when it comes to technology. They'll support the PS4 until the next big flashy thing comes out.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

For lower tier games such has Disgaea 5, Musou games, Ys and whatever else? Sure.

For huge, high tier productions? Hell no. Square Enix, From Software, Kojima Productions, Platinum games, etc, they've gone full multiplat.

Bloodborne and Scalebound are exclusive because they payed for it.

Even Arc System Works is slowly moving into PC. And who knows if SEGA migh contact ATLUS to give the Persona IP to one fo their studios for steam porting, now that the series seems to be getting popular in the west.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DEadliNE-Zero0

@scottpsfan14 said:
@deadline-zero0 said:

For lower tier games such has Disgaea 5, Musou games, Ys and whatever else? Sure.

For huge, high tier productions? Hell no. Square Enix, From Software, Kojima Productions, Platinum games, etc, they've gone full multiplat.

Bloodborne and Scalebound are exclusive because they payed for it.

Even Arc System Works is slowly moving into PC. And who knows if SEGA migh contact ATLUS to give the Persona IP to one fo their studios for steam porting, now that the series seems to be getting popular in the west.

Sony Japan studios are helping develop Bloodborne. MS aren't helping Platinum.

So? BB is exclusive because Sony is financing the project, like MS. Sending some of your studios to help out doesn't mean much.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

The Japanese market is too small for it to matter anymore.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

ps4 sales in japan are a joke

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DEadliNE-Zero0

@scottpsfan14: What are you talking about Scott? I'm just pointing out that japanese devs aren't giving the ps4 special treatment when it comes to high tier projects, unless sony pays for it, like MS and Nintendo.

Ense, Kingdom Hearts 3 coming to xbox. All these games the TC meantions are small scale, expect Persona.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

a new dynasty warriors game was released for the ps4 last week....it sold 11k lol

30k on ps3

[PS4] Dynasty Warriors 8: Empires (Koei Tecmo, 11/20/14) – 11,725(New)

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

I agree that PS4 is a more western oriented device. Designed in the west, first released in the west, and filled with buggy software. The ps4 is probably a shameful head hanger for the classic Japanese Sony crew.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

I don't personally care for most Japanese games. Used to love Mario and Zelda, still play the occasional Metal Gear, but those are the only Japanese franchises I've played since PS2.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

Nah.

PC gets more Japanese support than the PS4, and when it comes to consoles/handhelds I'd choose 3DS, Wii U, or even the PS Shita over the PS4 right now.

Hell, I'd actually take the Xbox One over PS4 because of D4 (by the dev who made Deadly Premonition), and Scalebound.

How the PS4 reminds you of the PS1 days is beyond me. The PS4 has barely gotten games let alone Japanese games, and a small list of Japanese games of "questionable" quality doesn't get the PS4 anywhere close to the PS1

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Do you think X1 or PC will be able to match this? It looks like Japan is all on board for Sony. Obviously, this isn't true for all franchises, like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. But generally speaking? The fact that we have From Software on board is great. Level 5 too. Persona, Deep Down, Dragon Quest Heroes, God Eater, Tales Games, Disgaea and more. I'm really looking forward to it. Reminds me of the PS1 days. What about you, SW? Do you care about Japan?

You can't be serious right? Its not going to be like the days of the ps1. Far from it. Thanks to the western devs sony fans love so much, Japan has been reduced to a shell of its former self. The only ones still alive are the big publishers. I wouldn't be surprised if Japan is completely forgotten after this generation outside of a few holdouts. No, even Sony isn't Japanese anymore. They used to be the home of quirky fun games. Those days are over. The last Japanese company, and the last console maker is Nintendo.

MikeHockbourns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MikeHockbourns
Member since 2014 • 754 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I don't think so, compared to 3DS, the interest in PS4 is miniscule at best and you know it's true. By the way the only Japanese games that interest me are on Nintendo systems.

3ds get japanese games but they are limited to the weak 3DS hardware. ps4 will get some revolutionary japan games.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44553 Posts

Not until Persona 5 releases, for me at least.

I don't think Deep Down will amount to much.

Though, I expect Bloodborne to be a big hit.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the end the upcoming Silent Hill game goes multiplat.

I've one friend who will probably get a PS4 because of Disgaea 5.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Golden gun? If you call selling 5,000 to 9,000 PS4 units a week golden gun then sure.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

Actually, Sony is pretty much dead in Sonyland aka Japan. PS4 is selling like crap, Vita too. What else? Deader than a beaten cow.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

game development in japan is dead and irrelevant. nintendo is the only exception

Caseytappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Caseytappy
Member since 2005 • 2199 Posts

Is OP drunk ?

Xbox was always dead in Japan but now Sony is struggling with PS4 .

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45089 Posts

@deadline-zero0: I'm pretty sure you were the guy who creamed his pants when lower tier Valkyrie chronicles announced a port for PC

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think Japanese developer support will become very important in a few years. Some of them need to get back in the good graces of the western market such as Capcom and Square-Enix. Now that the XBox is largely irrelevant in the world market, I think the pressure to "Westernize" their big franchises isn't quite as great as it was last gen. It should be a perfect storm, but it won't happen right away.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DEadliNE-Zero0

@SolidGame_basic said:

@deadline-zero0: I'm pretty sure you were the guy who creamed his pants when lower tier Valkyrie chronicles announced a port for PC

Post my exact quote showing i "creamed my pants"? I was surprised and somewhat interested considering how old the game is. But i also stated i knew barely anything about it

I excitement was about the possibilty of other SEGA IPs, namely Vanquish and Bayonetta coming to PC. I stated that right at the end of my "SEGA pleased with pc sales" thread.

Like i said, when the PS4 gets a high tier exclusive, like it used to with FF, KH, MGS, then yes. Note saying Disgaea, Ys, Tales of, God Eater, etc, are bad games. Just that they haven't reach high levels of acclaim, sales or production values. Well, has far has i know on that last one

Avatar image for deactivated-58bd60b980002
deactivated-58bd60b980002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 1

#37 deactivated-58bd60b980002
Member since 2004 • 2016 Posts

Saddly with the PS3 and X360 ... many japanease game maker started to "westernizd" their games and it didn't work that well. It seems that the gaming world is dividing in a USA vs Japan. We have many games with either sand box style or very cinematic and big focus on FPS or 3rd person point of view with of course costomizable caracter ...

Japan is more about story telling with epic proportion or quirky game with a lot of WTF moment.

At least 3DS is striving with good japanease games. Even Square acknoledges Bravely Default and how ... maybe they are in the wrong with the way they handled Final Fantasy or any other RPG they made during last gen.

Capcom used to be one of my favorite and now I think they are pretty much a joke , I still love Final Fantasy but still I think Square is quite low and they bought so many studio to pull out game like Tomb Raider or the where you are a detective ( can't remember the name ) ...

We could say that X360 did a revolution in gaming for the USA by turning PC centric games ( and so USA centric games ) to consol which was dominated by Japanease game studio and now we face a moment where games pretty much feel empty.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#38  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

PS4 and Wii U are Japanese, so they'll obviously get more Japanese support.

Likewise, since Xbox is American, it got more American support last gen... although PS4 seems to be getting just as much American support this gen.