Is portal 1/2 a more relevant game than Last of Us?

• 147 results
Posted by uninspiredcup (8984 posts) 4 months, 17 days ago

Poll: Is portal 1/2 a more relevant game than Last of Us? (80 votes)

Yes 54%
No 46%

Until Portal, nobody really gave a shit about puzzle games. Gabe Newell said so himself, puzzle games would sell barely any copies on steam. Then portal 1/2 comes along selling millions upon millions of copies appealing to people of all ages and both sex's with dozens of inspired games since.

Is this a more relevant game than Last Of Us? What has Last Of Us contributed or what quality makes it as relevant in the long term as a title such as the Portal series?

According to some, Last Of Us is a landmark game. It seems Portal is relevant for it's contribution towards puzzle games.

#1 Posted by MonsieurX (30451 posts) -

Where are all the awards?

/cows

#2 Edited by parkurtommo (27244 posts) -

Can't comment on the quality of TLOU compared to Portal. Both seem to be great. I know for sure that Portal 2 was an excellent, excellent game. But it's not as "relevant", no. I'm not sure what you are trying to say by "relevant"?

TLOU is more relevant right now... It is a recent release, had a remaster, praised by gamers all over... Portal 2 came out in 2011 and is only remembered by PC gamers.

#3 Posted by Masculus (2869 posts) -

I think so. It's a more novel game than Last of Us. The former is another step forward for AAA games, developing story, narrative, graphics etc. but only taking baby steps with gameplay.

#4 Edited by mems_1224 (47267 posts) -

The Portal games are overrated as fuck. Puzzles for dummies with a funny story. Not much more to them than that.

#5 Posted by lawlessx (46778 posts) -

Last Of Us is a landmark game? lol how?

#6 Posted by darkspineslayer (19790 posts) -

I would be excited for more portal, but nobody at valve can count to 3.

#7 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13659 posts) -

TLOU is way more relevant.... Portal however is just better game.

Remember we live in the era of cutscenes, story and graphics so naturally that makes TLOU more relevant....

#8 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10607 posts) -

Neither is a landmark title or more relevant than the other, they are just both very well made games.

#9 Edited by Gamerno6666 (1584 posts) -

Such different games. But portal left more impact on me.

#10 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3852 posts) -

I'm going to say yes. It paved the way into mainstream for other games, while TLOU "just" excelled at doing it's genre.

I don't mean that in a harsh way ofc, TLOU looks like an absolutely amazing experience. It just tastes a lot like what feels to be 80% of the entirety of last gen.

#11 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8186 posts) -

Comparing puzzle games to a 3rd person story driven action adventure game?

uninspiredcup logic at its finest.

#12 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29392 posts) -

I don't know about "relevant" but TLOU is a much much better game.

#13 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13659 posts) -

@mems_1224

They're not overated.... Barely won any GOTY's and Is outranked on Metacritic. Plus its a niche game appreciated only by "real gamers".

Didn't sell big, didn't win big and didn't score big.... Its rated just fine.

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13659 posts) -

@speedfreak48t5p

I'm afraid this time the comparison is not as simple as Apples and Oranges... He's not asking which is better, he's asking which is more relevant.... Uninspired is capable of making good threads you know ? This happens to be one of them.

#15 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

Lawl portal

#16 Edited by BldgIrsh (2689 posts) -

Now you're thinking with portals, OP.

#17 Posted by KHAndAnime (13896 posts) -

TLOU isn't anything fresh, groundbreaking, or thoroughly entertaining. Portal at the least did something new, and brought some fresh air and popularity to a stagnant genre.

#18 Posted by PapaTrop (1336 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

TLOU isn't anything fresh, groundbreaking, or thoroughly entertaining. Portal at the least did something new, and brought some fresh air and popularity to a stagnant genre.

That's what I was thinking, and I believe Portal will be remembered for a longer time. It's still brought up from time to time almost 7 years after originally releasing.

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13659 posts) -

@KHAndAnime

Yeah... But its not more relevant.

#20 Posted by AcidTango (615 posts) -

@darkspineslayer said:

#21 Posted by uninspiredcup (8984 posts) -

@chessmaster1989 said:

Portal is one of the finest crafted games humanity as a species have ever witness.

The bearded man puts up too many ladders and the AI keeps breaking.

#22 Edited by BldgIrsh (2689 posts) -

@AcidTango said:

@darkspineslayer said:

L4D3 in the Source Engine 2 files.

#23 Posted by hehe101 (783 posts) -

yes

#24 Posted by DEadliNE-Zero0 (2891 posts) -
@MonsieurX said:

Where are all the awards?

/cows

Actually, it won alot of GOTY. And Portal 2 is rated the same has TLOU on MC. 95. So, cows trying to pull that as something are idiots.

Also, TLOU didn't contribute much. Tomb Raider is in the same vein as it, and released the same year. As far as i know, no real portal clone or look alike exist. It really did help define puzzle games in a brand new.

Both good games, but Portal is miles better imo. Also one my favourite last gen games

#25 Posted by Ballroompirate (23046 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

The Portal games are overrated as fuck. Puzzles for dummies with a funny story. Not much more to them than that.

Couldn't have said it better

I honestly feel bad for people who like the Portal games

#26 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5067 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@mems_1224 said:

the people that like portal games are the same ones that probably like half life aka the king of boring fps. its just the beggar race ass licking valve

#27 Edited by AcidTango (615 posts) -

@bldgirsh said:

@AcidTango said:

@darkspineslayer said:

L4D3 in the Source Engine 2 files.

#28 Edited by shadiezz2012 (2595 posts) -

No, TLOU is a Much better game

also i'm not the only one who think that uninspiredcup is soo ossesed with TLOU that he want to compare it to every single game even when all those games ..and i don't think he even played the game or even own playstation console

it wouldn't surprise me that he tamper all the polls he make with his alt accounts

#29 Posted by freedomfreak (40951 posts) -

TLOU. Much better.

#30 Edited by sailor232 (4829 posts) -

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@mems_1224 said:

the people that like portal games are the same ones that probably like half life aka the king of boring fps. its just the beggar race ass licking valve

Saying it is for dummies is ludicrous, you do realize that Portal 2 has user created maps for both single player and co-op? meaning the puzzles can be as hard as a person can imagine or as easy as they want. Seems you only played Portal 2 on consoles.

#31 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5067 posts) -

@sailor232 said:

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@mems_1224 said:

Saying it is for dummies is ludicrous, you do realize that Portal 2 has user created maps for both single player and co-op? meaning the puzzles can be as hard as a person can imagine or as easy as they want. Seems you only played Portal 2 on consoles.

i never called it dumb, just boring. and no i never played it on consoles i bought the orange box for pc

#32 Edited by uninspiredcup (8984 posts) -

Sadly (as expected) this incredible thread is being over-run with Sony fanboys attempting to argue what is the "bestest" out of insecurity due to lack of faith in the product they flaunt.

As emotionally draining as this event is, it also serves as remarkable first hand proof.

#33 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8186 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@chessmaster1989 said:

Portal is one of the finest crafted games humanity as a species have ever witness.

The bearded man puts up too many ladders and the AI keeps breaking.

You're trying too hard my friend.

#34 Posted by aroxx_ab (10089 posts) -

Portal is boring, The last of us is not

#35 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

@darkspineslayer: I would be excited for more portal, but nobody at valve can count to 3."

I don't think anybody at Valve can count, period.

#36 Posted by coasterguy65 (6025 posts) -

I don't know which one is more relevant. It depends on the person I guess. Personally I would love to see a Portal sequel, and I don't honestly care if they make a TLoU sequel or not.

#37 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9842 posts) -

i dont really get why these are being compared and what is the point of finding out which is "more relevant" (whatever that means).

Lots of great games dont really do nothing for the industry, and lots of great games are considered great yet they dont ammount to anything years later (example: franchise and series like Resident Evil, highly acclaimed at one point, now is poo poo. Another, Final Fantasy. As big and ground breaking and dominate Resident Evil and Final Fantasy were, they havent been relevant in anything in the gaming industry in almost a decade now.)

#38 Posted by intotheminx (703 posts) -

Portal 1 was unique and original. TLOU is a linear shooter..so I'm gonna go with Portal on this one.

#39 Posted by clone01 (24841 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Sadly (as expected) this incredible thread is being over-run with Sony fanboys attempting to argue what is the "bestest" out of insecurity due to lack of faith in the product they flaunt.

As emotionally draining as this event is, it also serves as remarkable first hand proof.

0/10 troll.

#40 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26582 posts) -

Portal is good.I just find it way over hyped. I cant say much on TLOU since never played it.

#41 Posted by Zelda187 (950 posts) -

Fuck no...LOL

Evidently it's become a crime in modern gaming to thoroughly enjoy an engaging narrative and emotional experience.

TLOU was fucking amazing...forget your goofy ass allegiance to whatever platform.

#42 Edited by uninspiredcup (8984 posts) -

It should be noted 10% of option 2 will be disregarded as a proportion of this vote will be reactionary Playstation radicalism motivated as opposed to rational objective logic.

#43 Posted by RoboCopISJesus (1408 posts) -

Portal 1/2 are more relevant and better games. LOTU was a rental movie-game, and did nothing to influence the industry.

#44 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13659 posts) -

Guys Please.... This is not about which game is better.... Apples vs. Oranges remember ?

Its about which is much more relevant, and whats relevant doesn't have to the best, which is why TLOU is more relevant, it far closer to conventional mainstream gaming than Portal is, therefore its much more relevant.

#45 Posted by blamix99 (2058 posts) -

TLOU is more relevant of course, what the hell do you mean by your relevant? lol.. do you even know what it means?

#46 Edited by Seabas989 (10401 posts) -

Yes to Portal 1.

No to Portal 2.

#47 Posted by Cloud_imperium (3705 posts) -

Yes . Portal series brings something new to the table and it may not be relevant enough on consoles but on PC , the game had been alot more successful . TLOU on other hand doesn't bring anything new .

#48 Posted by Ballroompirate (23046 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium said:

Yes . Portal series brings something new to the table and it may not be relevant enough on consoles but on PC , the game had been alot more successful . TLOU on other hand doesn't bring anything new .

Probably the stupidest post I've ever seen in System Wars

#49 Posted by jg4xchamp (48367 posts) -

What you wrote has nothing to do with relevance as much as it has to do with influence.

The Last of Us is terrific, but sure Portal has had more influence. For now, but that could change depending on if modern triple A cinematic games take notes from The Last of Us.

#50 Posted by Bigboi500 (30049 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Probably the stupidest post I've ever seen in System Wars

Agreed. Some people just can't break themselves away from the "war" long enough for a clear thought to pop up in their thick heads.