Is PlayStation Now what Virtual Console should have been?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

There can be no doubt that Nintendo completely dropped the ball with the Virtual Console. Infrastructural issues such as a lack of unified accounts leading to repeated purchases of the same software for each new hardware aside, Nintendo handled the release schedule very poorly- they have the richest back catalog in all of gaming, but they staggered releases until the service lost all steam and interest, and no one cared.

On the Wii, it was still handled somewhat decently (although the N64 selection was shockingly lacking); on the 3DS and Wii U, it's an embarrassment. Add to this something as stupid as Nintendo's emulators lacking in basic functionality such as optional filters, and it seems like the ball was dropped completely.

Meanwhile, while Sony's handling of PS Classics is commendable by comparison, let's look at PlayStation Now instead- an on demand subscription based service that promises access to all PlayStation classics across all currently active PlayStation platforms, and even non PlayStation ones (which Nintendo should have done). Is PlayStation now, as currently pitched, what Nintendo should have been going for with Virtual Console all along?

#2 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11598 posts) -

Playstation now is a pretty incredible idea, let's just see if Sony pulls it off.

#3 Edited by ninjapirate2000 (3011 posts) -

I'd rather download than stream.

#4 Edited by navyguy21 (12744 posts) -

If they allow downloads, then yea, it will be better.

But for now, Downloads > Streaming

#5 Posted by -RPGamer- (34283 posts) -

There are many Nintendo games that would suck with any sort of input lag.

I'm actually growing very tired of so many services relying on streaming over DLing.

#6 Edited by starwolf474 (548 posts) -

Hell no!

I rather download than stream and I rather buy the games I want and own them over a subscription service.

#7 Posted by Seabas989 (10095 posts) -

If they allow downloads, then yea, it will be better.

But for now, Downloads > Streaming

^This. Still Nintendo should of had unified accounts from the beginning.

#8 Posted by bbkkristian (14940 posts) -

@ninjapirate2000: same here. That's why I value VC more than this Now service. You have to keep in mind that the entire library of PS/PS2/PS3 games will not be there at launch

#9 Posted by Glitter (353 posts) -

I do not feel it would have made a deference. I can see Sony making the same decisions with PlayStation Now, that Nintendo made with the Virtual Console; such as a lack of a library of video games for the service over time. I can see PlayStation Now as being worse than the Virtual Console. The Virtual Console is actually a better idea then PlayStation Now in my opinion, as you do not have to worry about possible latency, lag, or freezing issues or the fact these issues may never be fully resolved if at all and possibly simply ignored and not improved. Over all I feel that Nintendo thinks it is smart to not release video games that they own, in a timely manner onto the Virtual Console; other wise it possibly be doing better. Unless there is something I am missing on why they cannot do it, I just feel their decisions as a company are idiotic.

#10 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24844 posts) -

No, Playstation Now is simply what OnLive should have been.

Virtual Console is more of a Games on Demand type of deal. Not Subscription based, but you can buy your crap and have somewhat of owner ship of the titles.

That's what Playstation Classics, Virtual Console, and Games on Demand are about. While they are riddled with DRM and such you can redownload the titles as much as you wish (unless your Nintendo craps out and you can't get it repaired/don't want it repaired).

Playstation Now is just a better OnLive. Granted not much better, but PS Now has Playstation games.

#11 Edited by _Matt_ (8863 posts) -

No.

I want to be able to buy and download them, not rent them.

For that reason, virtual console is superior for me

#12 Posted by Ghost120x (3737 posts) -

Too early to tell. I couldn't imagine playing a fight in game on ps now. This won't really work with Nintendo's older virtual console games with the twitch controls they tend to have.

#13 Edited by MirkoS77 (7118 posts) -

I prefer VC in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, Nintendo is run by incompetent, clueless bumbling morons. Why is it that a company with such an amazing games legacy can be so held back by such ineptitude? Could you imagine the VC in the hands of Sony? An account system, retro trophies and accomplishments, all past systems covered with timely releases reasonably priced.

What a waste of potential. I hope Nintendo continues to suffer worse and worse so they're forced to change, and soon. Nintendo deserves so much better than those who are currently grounding the ship.

#14 Edited by Opus_Rea-333 (944 posts) -

charizard a Sony fanboy hiding in sheep clothes it seems LOL

#15 Posted by trugs26 (5285 posts) -

Personally I hope it doesn't become a subscription service. But in terms of care and quality, possibly, yes (we'll actually have to see how it turns out and how much is on offer, etc.). I hope what comes from this is motivation for Nintendo to pick up their game and get the VC on track.

#16 Edited by tymeservesfate (1563 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

There can be no doubt that Nintendo completely dropped the ball with the Virtual Console. Infrastructural issues such as a lack of unified accounts leading to repeated purchases of the same software for each new hardware aside, Nintendo handled the release schedule very poorly- they have the richest back catalog in all of gaming, but they staggered releases until the service lost all steam and interest, and no one cared.

On the Wii, it was still handled somewhat decently (although the N64 selection was shockingly lacking); on the 3DS and Wii U, it's an embarrassment. Add to this something as stupid as Nintendo's emulators lacking in basic functionality such as optional filters, and it seems like the ball was dropped completely.

Meanwhile, while Sony's handling of PS Classics is commendable by comparison, let's look at PlayStation Now instead- an on demand subscription based service that promises access to all PlayStation classics across all currently active PlayStation platforms, and even non PlayStation ones (which Nintendo should have done). Is PlayStation now, as currently pitched, what Nintendo should have been going for with Virtual Console all along?

@PhazonBlazer said:

Playstation now is a pretty incredible idea, let's just see if Sony pulls it off.

i'll just post this here lol. amazing how Sony gets away with shii in this place as if they're giving people gifts while they're blatantly trying to screw over the whole community with this Playstation Now crap. this crap should be the biggest outrage we've seen in decades...but hey its, lets overlook the obvious scam and get behind this. smh lol wow:

this is why its an issue. F video game quality and the like. this is the issue we never had to pay for backwards compatibility....ever. now Sony has it that you have to ditch the games you do have and re-rent them. its a blatant fuck over to their consumer. it doesnt matter if the rentals are a penny each. especially since the price of past playstation games are going to drop like a rock because of this, the physical copies. because Sony is going digital rental service. why would gamestop or anyone give you a good price for your games now. with Playstation Now n next gen here they're useless. so now ur going to lose money on trade-ins AND you have to pay to rent the games loved again, smh. the situation is fucked up.

seeing cows/others crow about this is odd...especially since the Xbox Live fee was suppose to be a big deal to them for so long. if that was then how is Sony making you pay for games twice not. especially when the second time you pay its only to rent.

this is the biggest scam i've seen a company try and pull in years. and Sony fans are applauding it lol. yea you can say its optional n this and that. doesnt make it not an issue. they're making you all pay for every little thing now. the system is watered down and if you want to get the full experience of it you have to pay Sony...not just one, or twice. they keep throwing little charges all over the ps4....or make reasons why u need to buy shii like the ds3. Sony is hurting for money and they're using every way they can think of to nickle and dime their consumers to recoup it. all these conspiracy theories about microsoft and you cows can't even see ur own situation??

the main issue is all the charges popping up with this system. i hear cows complain about Xbox Live and its ONE paywall but are now all for Sony nickle and diming them with paywalls for all these services is fine. that's a hell of a shift from last gen. you guys went from, "i'm appalled buy the thought of paying for online play." to,

"wow this is great. for a fee i get access too music unlimited...video unlimited...my TV app...my online play...PlayStation Now, where i can subscribe then rebuy opps, i mean rent, all the games you loved last gen without having to have an old console taking up space in my home. and if i support Sony even more and buy a Bravia tv, along with rebuying the controllers i sold to get a ps4, i can RENT the games straight from there! this is great!!" O_o

Xbox Live has 81 features behind its paywall while Sony is taking the route of trying to charge for as many features as they possible can. so if cows want an experience something similar to its next gen counterparts they end up paying close, if not more, too the hundred dollars they saved buying the system. pay or deal with a watered down console is the deal. pay on the individual basis for backwards compatibility is the deal. and you guys are rolling with it...its completely hypocritical honestly. and it should be an outrage. slapping a charge on backwards compatibility and you don't even get to own the games.

amazing how this sham of of feature is being promoted and pushed forth by the "gamers" who were outraged by MS's E3...saying they were anti-consumer or a cancer in the industry. then turn around and promote this obvious fuck over by Sony. i can't wait to hear the "i'm butthurt" posts...or crying, or whatever. while the main points i spoke go overlooked. it only puts it back to my original point.

Sony, it only does free passes, but it's gonna cost you lol.

playstation fanboys and others as it seems LOL

#17 Posted by blamix99 (1668 posts) -

jelly above me

#18 Posted by tymeservesfate (1563 posts) -

@blamix99 said:

jelly above me

you can't read.

#19 Posted by osan0 (12619 posts) -

they should look into offering a subscription option for the VC and this business of having to rebuy your VC games for the wiiu is absolute nonsense (though can you play your existing VC titles when the wiiu is in wii mode?). the system could call back to validate VC licences once every 30 days or something.

personally i would still buy them rather than subscribe...but its nice to have the option.

as for streaming the games down like PSNow....absolutely not. it was a crap idea with gaikai, it was a crap idea with onlive and its still a crap idea. the games should still be run on the local hardware.

#20 Edited by Blabadon (25892 posts) -

Nope, it's what OnLive should have been.

#21 Posted by Desmonic (13378 posts) -

i'll just post this here lol. amazing how Sony gets away with shii in this place as if they're giving people gifts while they're blatantly trying to screw over the whole community with this Playstation Now crap. this crap should be the biggest outrage we've seen in decades...but hey its, lets overlook the obvious scam and get behind this. smh lol wow:

this is why its an issue. F video game quality and the like. this is the issue we never had to pay for backwards compatibility....ever. now Sony has it that you have to ditch the games you do have and re-rent them. its a blatant fuck over to their consumer. it doesnt matter if the rentals are a penny each. especially since the price of past playstation games are going to drop like a rock because of this, the physical copies. because Sony is going digital rental service. why would gamestop or anyone give you a good price for your games now. with Playstation Now n next gen here they're useless. so now ur going to lose money on trade-ins AND you have to pay to rent the games loved again, smh. the situation is fucked up.

seeing cows/others crow about this is odd...especially since the Xbox Live fee was suppose to be a big deal to them for so long. if that was then how is Sony making you pay for games twice not. especially when the second time you pay its only to rent.

this is the biggest scam i've seen a company try and pull in years. and Sony fans are applauding it lol. yea you can say its optional n this and that. doesnt make it not an issue. they're making you all pay for every little thing now. the system is watered down and if you want to get the full experience of it you have to pay Sony...not just one, or twice. they keep throwing little charges all over the ps4....or make reasons why u need to buy shii like the ds3. Sony is hurting for money and they're using every way they can think of to nickle and dime their consumers to recoup it. all these conspiracy theories about microsoft and you cows can't even see ur own situation??

the main issue is all the charges popping up with this system. i hear cows complain about Xbox Live and its ONE paywall but are now all for Sony nickle and diming them with paywalls for all these services is fine. that's a hell of a shift from last gen. you guys went from, "i'm appalled buy the thought of paying for online play." to,

"wow this is great. for a fee i get access too music unlimited...video unlimited...my TV app...my online play...PlayStation Now, where i can subscribe then rebuy opps, i mean rent, all the games you loved last gen without having to have an old console taking up space in my home. and if i support Sony even more and buy a Bravia tv, along with rebuying the controllers i sold to get a ps4, i can RENT the games straight from there! this is great!!" O_o

Xbox Live has 81 features behind its paywall while Sony is taking the route of trying to charge for as many features as they possible can. so if cows want an experience something similar to its next gen counterparts they end up paying close, if not more, too the hundred dollars they saved buying the system. pay or deal with a watered down console is the deal. pay on the individual basis for backwards compatibility is the deal. and you guys are rolling with it...its completely hypocritical honestly. and it should be an outrage. slapping a charge on backwards compatibility and you don't even get to own the games.

amazing how this sham of of feature is being promoted and pushed forth by the "gamers" who were outraged by MS's E3...saying they were anti-consumer or a cancer in the industry. then turn around and promote this obvious fuck over by Sony. i can't wait to hear the "i'm butthurt" posts...or crying, or whatever. while the main points i spoke go overlooked. it only puts it back to my original point.

Sony, it only does free passes, but it's gonna cost you lol.

playstation fanboys and others as it seems LOL

TL;DR :

#22 Posted by SonicNextGen2 (3422 posts) -

I just really want more details, I feel as though people are jumping to conclusions.

I want to hear about the price, game library, and features until I can form a solid opinion on it.

#23 Edited by pillarrocks (1317 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

I prefer VC in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, Nintendo is run by incompetent, clueless bumbling morons. Why is it that a company with such an amazing games legacy can be so held back by such ineptitude? Could you imagine the VC in the hands of Sony? An account system, retro trophies and accomplishments, all past systems covered with timely releases reasonably priced.

What a waste of potential. I hope Nintendo continues to suffer worse and worse so they're forced to change, and soon. Nintendo deserves so much better than those who are currently grounding the ship.

I kinda feel Nintendo is stuck in the past when it comes to stuff like account system. I could care less about trophies/achievements as it's something Nintendo would never consider. I hope one day the VC can be up to par with PSN in terms of games offered from past systems like GBA, SNES, NES, N64, etc but until then I guess I can just dream. I agree if Sony were in charge of the VC, you would have things better like an account system that ties all your games to one account and not linked to the system. You would have imports and past systems and game prices priced reasonably instead of ripping off gamers.

#24 Posted by foxhound_fox (87614 posts) -

Indeed. Especially if a handheld is involved.

I just spent an hour trying to connect to Steam this morning, but because I have my games installed to my computer, I could have played in offline mode if I wanted to (I was trying to connect because a friend of mine had gifted me my copy of EYE Divine Cybermancy that we bought the four-pack of and we wanted to start playing).

If Steam were just a streaming service, I would be shit out of luck if I wanted to play my games. I'm not sure why anyone could laud a streaming game service. Movies/TV shows are different (i.e. Netflix).

#25 Posted by cainetao11 (16838 posts) -

Need to see if streaming Demons souls is going to work, you know? I think it rolls out choppy, gets smoothed out over time. Industry is changing, exclusivity, by sw definition is leaving. I would rather download and be able to play offline then stream, as psnow will have to have always connected. I remember when that was bad.

#26 Posted by gago-gago (9335 posts) -

PSNow is still an idea. Sony could still mess it up. This idea is nothing new. Video streaming became very popular and is now found on every electronic device. Same thing is happening with gaming. I think it's going to be a mess with game licensing and lag issues just to name a couple. Also if this is not included in the PS+ sub, it's going to fail unless sony does a bait and switch somehow, hoping it won't fail as fast.

#27 Posted by Zassimick (6320 posts) -

Being reminded of the potential Virtual Console has always had yet knowing it is utterly terrible still breaks my heart. So many games I want to play on 3DS or through the Wii U gamepad... so many...

#28 Edited by tymeservesfate (1563 posts) -

@Desmonic: well this is surprising...i took you as one of the more rational level headed posters on here. ok, then. but yea, the only way you or anyone could take that post as crying is if they didnt actually read it. i gave reason why there is a need for concern for both Sony users, as well as Xboxers if MS decides to follow suit. this is fucked up if this is the way gaming is going. but fine....tease me...whatever makes you feel better :)

#29 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@osan0 said:

they should look into offering a subscription option for the VC and this business of having to rebuy your VC games for the wiiu is absolute nonsense (though can you play your existing VC titles when the wiiu is in wii mode?). the system could call back to validate VC licences once every 30 days or something.

personally i would still buy them rather than subscribe...but its nice to have the option.

as for streaming the games down like PSNow....absolutely not. it was a crap idea with gaikai, it was a crap idea with onlive and its still a crap idea. the games should still be run on the local hardware.

Yes you can. To Nintendo's credit, if you already own a VC game on Wii, it can also be upgraded to a Wii U VC game license for just $1. It's just everything else with the Wii U VC that they have dropped the ball completely on.

#30 Posted by Shielder7 (5151 posts) -

Hell no!

I rather download than stream and I rather buy the games I want and own them over a subscription service.

this.

#31 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23499 posts) -

if onlive could not get their shyt together to make streaming games work after years of development what do you thinks sonys streaming service will be like.

make this a download service and you have a shot at my money but until then.

lol...

#32 Posted by osan0 (12619 posts) -

@charizard1605: is there a difference between the wiiu and wii version of a VC game. any upgrades? if not then that really should be free. even if there is, ideally the user should ba able to access their existing VC catalogue from the wiiu OS.

#34 Posted by charizard1605 (55955 posts) -

@osan0 said:

@charizard1605: is there a difference between the wiiu and wii version of a VC game. any upgrades? if not then that really should be free. even if there is, ideally the user should ba able to access their existing VC catalogue from the wiiu OS.

Yeah, a lot of differences. Wii U VC games get additional functionality like more emulator functions, Gamepad support, Miiverse, and so on.

#35 Posted by lundy86_4 (42952 posts) -

I say no, based solely on my aversion to streaming content. Hell, I don't even use Netflix.

#36 Edited by Phazevariance (10936 posts) -

Well they can[t make it a download service because the PS4 hardware cannot run PS3 and PS2 games without emulation or actual PS2/3 hardware inside it since they were designed with different hardware architecture than the PS4. This means it has to be streamed and decoded/rendered on a Sony server first then sent to your device.

The downside to this is that you have to rebuy your games, and you likely won't be able to play them on a PSVita while on a bus. Another is you will need to have a good net connection, and that could be a make it or break it part of the deal for many. If they ever shut down the service then you will lose access to your games, and if they get DDos attacked, people will not be able to use it at all.

It's a good concept for backwards compatibility (thanks onlive!) but you know there will be drawbacks and problems once its out in the wild.

#37 Posted by MBirdy88 (7640 posts) -

PC is what virtual console should of been.... x 1000.

#38 Edited by madsnakehhh (14135 posts) -

No, Playstation Now is simply what OnLive should have been.

Exactly.

#39 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6954 posts) -

Something tells me that I would end up spending a whole lot less money on Nintendo's Virtual Console, and end up playing it just as much if not more than PS Now.

#40 Posted by nini200 (9572 posts) -

charizard a Sony fanboy hiding in sheep clothes it seems LOL

The Wolf Among Us lol

#41 Posted by blackace (20238 posts) -

Me too, after seeing how bad OnLive streaming turned out. Still need a lot more information on PSNow before even considering it.

#42 Edited by navyguy21 (12744 posts) -

Well they can[t make it a download service because the PS4 hardware cannot run PS3 and PS2 games without emulation or actual PS2/3 hardware inside it since they were designed with different hardware architecture than the PS4. This means it has to be streamed and decoded/rendered on a Sony server first then sent to your device.

The downside to this is that you have to rebuy your games, and you likely won't be able to play them on a PSVita while on a bus. Another is you will need to have a good net connection, and that could be a make it or break it part of the deal for many. If they ever shut down the service then you will lose access to your games, and if they get DDos attacked, people will not be able to use it at all.

It's a good concept for backwards compatibility (thanks onlive!) but you know there will be drawbacks and problems once its out in the wild.

Then they should do like PC or 360 (xbox originals) and have the games run inside an emulator. Streaming games is just asking for trouble as internet speed fluctuates depending on a ton of variables