Is Planescape Torment still the greatest written story ever told?

• 68 results
Posted by uninspiredcup (7790 posts) 1 month, 16 hours ago

Poll: Is Planescape Torment still the greatest written story ever told? (37 votes)

Yes 38%
No (state the game please) 62%

In my many, many many, many (really big) experience of gaming forums, whenever anyone says "whats the greatest writing in a video game" almost like a reaction from a mild shock the words "Planescape Torment" are uttered. The love of this game can very easily be seen from the record breaking kickstarter.

But this game is very old and many games and console generation have came and gone.

Is this really still the greatest story ever told or has any game managed to surpass it?

#1 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10313 posts) -

No.

Not in any way, shape or form.

Under no circumstances.

By no means

#2 Posted by uninspiredcup (7790 posts) -

No.

Under no circumstances.

By no means

This seems like a belligerent yes.

#3 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10313 posts) -

@R3FURBISHED said:

No.

Under no circumstances.

By no means

Does a video game have the "greatest story ever told"?

Absolutely not

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (7790 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@R3FURBISHED said:

No.

Under no circumstances.

By no means

Does a video game have the "greatest story ever told"?

Absolutely not

Still getting a yes vibe.

#5 Posted by Maroxad (8034 posts) -

I assume you mean greatest written story for video games, in which case the answer is yes.

#6 Edited by Blabadon (25896 posts) -

Haven't played it but would still put Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors and Virtue's Last Reward over it, if at least serious competition.

Of course, these are visual novels. Planescape is, to the extent of my knowledge, much more of a game than these two.

#7 Edited by CrownKingArthur (4361 posts) -

i'll join the already established consensus and agree yes that it is the bestest story in the whole wide world.

#8 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6896 posts) -

LOL Another uninspired thread.

#9 Edited by Zassimick (6323 posts) -

One of my biggest disappointments in gaming is that I still have yet to play the game. I started it up on an old Dell computer in my first year of college, one that my sister had used and then passed onto me, and I tried Planescape on it but it didn't work too well.

I wish it could be ported to consoles in some fashion. Is there a version out on Steam for Mac or something?

I know, I know, "get a PC." Saying that isn't going to make me get one, nor does it help the situation. A simple no would suffice. :P

#10 Posted by parkurtommo (26446 posts) -

One of my biggest disappointments in gaming is that I still have yet to play the game. I started it up on an old Dell computer in my first year of college, one that my sister had used and then passed onto me, and I tried Planescape on it but it didn't work too well.

I wish it could be ported to consoles in some fashion. Is there a version out on Steam for Mac or something?

I know, I know, "get a PC." Saying that isn't going to make me get one, nor does it help the situation. A simple no would suffice. :P

no

#11 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6896 posts) -

Get a PC and join the glorious master race.

#12 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4361 posts) -

don't worry. i wouldn't tell you to get a pc. i would recommend at least four of the things.

but enough of this fatuous milarky, down to your question. planescape torment and the apple macinamatosh range of computators. http://www.gog.com/game/planescape_torment

"compatible with Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) and Mac OS X (10.7.0 or newer)" and i checked the support forum for the game, there's a lack of people asking for mac support so it'll probably work OK. hope this helps.

#13 Edited by Zelda187 (714 posts) -

No

Final Fantasy III

And yes, I refuse to call it FF VI

#14 Posted by farrell2k (5793 posts) -

Nope. Cosmic Fantasy II for the TG16CD hasd the greatest gaming story ever told. Love, time travel, overcoming evil, and ending in tragedy with hope for the future. Best story in a video game, ever!

#15 Posted by jg4xchamp (47280 posts) -

No.

Under no circumstances.

By no means

First post is correct post.

#16 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

It probably is... Too Bad its a Sh!tty Game ! :p

#17 Posted by uninspiredcup (7790 posts) -

Due to inevitable blind voting from younger or uncultured gamers who have never played it, 20% of the no vote will be removed.

#18 Posted by jg4xchamp (47280 posts) -

Due to inevitable blind voting from younger or uncultured gamers who have never played it, 20% of the no vote will be removed.

"uncultured"

Bitch you just said "the greatest written story", in the English Language that means of all written stories, as in ever. Fuck no, only the twatest of gaming loving twats would seriously try to pimp out a Video Game story (largely good one) as some greatest written story with a straight face.

#19 Posted by siLVURcross (26103 posts) -

Yes.

I haven't played it though so I wouldn't really know.

#20 Posted by mems_1224 (46485 posts) -

Still need to play this game. Its been sitting on my desktop for about a year.

#21 Posted by PapaTrop (474 posts) -

The greatest story ever told is about a rock and a tree separated by a mud slide.

Brings me to tears every time.

#22 Posted by Blabadon (25896 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

"uncultured"

Bitch you just said "the greatest written story", in the English Language that means of all written stories, as in ever. Fuck no, only the twatest of gaming loving twats would seriously try to pimp out a Video Game story (largely good one) as some greatest written story with a straight face.

Hey man, shut the fuck up, Adam Sessler said GTA V's content will live on with Dickens', so he's gotta be right.

At least GTA V and Dickens are both overrated as shit.

#23 Posted by Bigboi500 (29286 posts) -

Better than any written story? GTFO with that silliness.

#24 Edited by Zassimick (6323 posts) -

no

Thank you. :)

MUST... RESIST... ARGH!! Neckbeard growing!!!11!1 Specs and RAM!!11!!1 I think I'm going to go mod Batman into Skyrim now.

don't worry. i wouldn't tell you to get a pc. i would recommend at least four of the things.

but enough of this fatuous milarky, down to your question. planescape torment and the apple macinamatosh range of computators. http://www.gog.com/game/planescape_torment

"compatible with Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8) and Mac OS X (10.7.0 or newer)" and i checked the support forum for the game, there's a lack of people asking for mac support so it'll probably work OK. hope this helps.

HUZZAH! I shall be downloading this once I have settled down in my new place. Bookmarking for later! Thanks!

#25 Posted by foxhound_fox (87623 posts) -

I can't say, I still can't get interested in playing it.

#26 Edited by BldgIrsh (1581 posts) -

@Zassimick said:

MUST... RESIST... ARGH!! Neckbeard growing!!!11!1 Specs and RAM!!11!!1 I think I'm going to go mod Batman into Skyrim now.

HUZZAH! I shall be downloading this once I have settled down in my new place. Bookmarking for later! Thanks!

Don't worry, it's in progress.

#27 Edited by uninspiredcup (7790 posts) -

My friends, having deep contemplative thoughts when clicking the refresh button, when thinking about competition even close to it, Mask Of The Betrayer and Kotor 2 come to mind.

It appears Obsidian/InXile are, as a whole, the greatest writers in the video gaming genre.

#28 Edited by RyviusARC (4246 posts) -

Most of the best stories I have seen in games are from visual novels but Planescape Torment is definitely up there at the top with them.

#30 Posted by NovaFlame112 (79 posts) -

Xenogears say's hi.

#31 Posted by PannicAtack (21013 posts) -

It is not "uncultured" to express doubt that a Dungeons and Dragons story stacks up against, say, Les Miserables.

#32 Edited by Blabadon (25896 posts) -
#33 Posted by illmatic87 (15155 posts) -

It sure has some of the best writing seen in a videogame.

But most of the conclusive "Best stowi eva!1!" comes mostly from those that havent even played it. If it was another--more mature and honest medium, Planescape: Torment's script would likely have its community divided with how its latter half unfolded.

#34 Posted by jg4xchamp (47280 posts) -
#35 Posted by illmatic87 (15155 posts) -

And yeah, fuck Xenogears.

#36 Posted by Cloud_imperium (2476 posts) -

In a video game .? Yes it is , imo .

#37 Edited by uninspiredcup (7790 posts) -

With Wasteland 2, POE and Torment, it could be topped.

#38 Posted by MonsieurX (29474 posts) -

Since you are asking the question,the only answer is no.

#39 Posted by Ballroompirate (22554 posts) -

I'd say it's in the top 3 for me in stories (for video games)

#40 Posted by uninspiredcup (7790 posts) -

@parkurtommo said:

no

Thank you. :)

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

My friend, upon deciding to play this masterpiece and marvel of gaming, vastly superior to any modern game. Doing things to it prior to playing it in the gamers best interest.

http://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide

#41 Edited by KungfuKitten (20835 posts) -

Hmm I never played it. I do own it tho, through GOG.
So far I think Chrono Triggers story is the best. Because of the way that it is interactive, it is expansive, it doesn't pretend to be the real truth and it gets emotional and epic.

In terms of video games.

#43 Posted by Gamerno6666 (452 posts) -

I prefer to read the book that came with the gog version of the game. I jus couldn't get into the game but that story seemed interesting. I hope someone remakes it.

#44 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2106 posts) -

Mafia 1 has greatest story ever told. So much emotions

#45 Edited by Seabas989 (10097 posts) -

I got bored of the game because of the "combat" but dat opening cinematic is extremely impressive.

#46 Posted by heguain (550 posts) -

I don't know about that..I think not..I always prefer Sci-fi or Fantasy stories when they're well written as well, of course.

#47 Edited by Gamerno6666 (452 posts) -

I got bored of the game because of the "combat" but dat opening cinematic is extremely impressive.

If you have the gog version then download and read the book if you have time. I still didn't finish the book yet but it is written well. (The book contains all the ingame dialog.)

#48 Posted by MrYaotubo (2630 posts) -

As far as videogames stories are concerned? Absolutely,by far.

#49 Posted by silversix_ (14043 posts) -

TC lives in the 90's or something... only talks and enjoy shit released 10+ years ago.

#50 Posted by dommeus (9225 posts) -

@illmatic87:

Refresh my memory, if you would. How was the second half of the game so divisive?