Is PC gaming cheap or expensive compared to consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#401 monstersfa
Member since 2014 • 398 Posts

@CrownKingArthur said:
@monstersfa said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@Cranler said:

AC Unity cost same on pc as console

$48 on PC.

on consoles the cheapest i can find is 59.96 from amazon. can someone match the pc price of PC ac unity please? i'm sure cranler couldn't possibly tolerate being proven wrong AGAIN.

So you use preorder deals to make points but feel this way about upcoming games:

well i can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally - i'd never bank on any upcoming game being 'good'.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/why-are-pc-games-never-hyped-like-console-games-31566038/#18

I didn't bank on the upcoming game being good though, did I?

I can stand behind both those posts. Yes it is true that day-1 games will be cheaper on PC. Yes it is true that I won't presume a game has any 'goodness' pre-release.

I'm honored to be the target for such a superficial attack.

So you admint that preorder deals aren't much to brag about and a consolite with the Best Buy deal is much better off than the pc gamer buying through gmg.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#402  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@monstersfa said:

@lostrib said:

@monstersfa said:

@lostrib said:

What does one have to do with the other? He was talking about hyping games, not pre-ordering titles

He has no faith in upcoming games being good but he uses preorder deals to make points.

That's not what he said at all.

Why are you only trying to call out CKA anyways? Why not call out Cranler as well?

Why are you only trying to call out cranler? Why not call out cka as well?

Because I don't see anything wrong with what he said, but good job dodging the question

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#403 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@monstersfa said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@monstersfa said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@Cranler said:

AC Unity cost same on pc as console

$48 on PC.

on consoles the cheapest i can find is 59.96 from amazon. can someone match the pc price of PC ac unity please? i'm sure cranler couldn't possibly tolerate being proven wrong AGAIN.

So you use preorder deals to make points but feel this way about upcoming games:

well i can't speak for anyone else, but for me personally - i'd never bank on any upcoming game being 'good'.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/why-are-pc-games-never-hyped-like-console-games-31566038/#18

I can stand behind both those posts. Yes it is true that day-1 games will be cheaper on PC. Yes it is true that I won't presume a game has any 'goodness' pre-release.

So you admint that preorder deals aren't much to brag about and a consolite with the Best Buy deal is much better off than the pc gamer buying through gmg.

So admit you're Cranler then?

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404  Edited By monstersfa

@lostrib said:

@monstersfa said:

@lostrib said:

@monstersfa said:

@lostrib said:

What does one have to do with the other? He was talking about hyping games, not pre-ordering titles

He has no faith in upcoming games being good but he uses preorder deals to make points.

Why are you only trying to call out CKA anyways? Why not call out Cranler as well?

Because I don't see anything wrong with what he said, but good job dodging the question

I don't see anything wrong with what Cranler said.

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405 monstersfa

@clyde46 said:

@monstersfa said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

Derail attempt. Please don't post unless you have something relevant to say.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406  Edited By clyde46

@monstersfa said:

@clyde46 said:

@monstersfa said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

Derail attempt. Please don't post unless you have something relevant to say.

So you are Cranler then.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#407  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

Expensive. And not just because of the price of high end cards. PC games lose 100% value once you purchase them. You either can't trade/resell them, or if you can its perceived as something of very little value by both retailers and gamers, especially compared to its consoles counterparts.

Basically the money you dump on PC gaming libraries will forever be stuck there.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408 lostrib

@monstersfa said:

@lostrib said:

@monstersfa said:

@lostrib said:

You don't see anything wrong with Cranler promoting buying used games in this thread when evidence posted in this thread shows he doesn't like or support the used game market.

But you're going to try to criticize @CrownKingArthur for saying that he doesn't hype games, which had nothing to do with the discussion

This is just another sad alt that coincidentally seems to only exist to defend Cranler and parrot his point of view

razu2444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#409 razu2444
Member since 2010 • 820 Posts

@indzman said:

I find building a nifty gaming PC is expensive for future proof gaming, but tottally worth it in the long run (minimum 5 years). Building a low budget PC is much cheaper than consoles , but not worth it as one will struggle with newer upcoming games or may need to upgrade all over again in 2- 3 years time. Console is cheaper investment , put disc and play but then again console games are expensive compared to PC games (steam sales), you also need a full HDTV which is expensive compared to PC monitors. Its wise to invest in PC over consoles if one can afford it ... imo as nowadays all new games are releasing on steam.

Whats your opinion warriors? :)

Compared to consoles? No contest...

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#410 monstersfa

@lostrib said:

@monstersfa said:

@lostrib said:

You don't see anything wrong with Cranler promoting buying used games in this thread when evidence posted in this thread shows he doesn't like or support the used game market.

But you're going to try to criticize @CrownKingArthur for saying that he doesn't hype games, which had nothing to do with the discussion

This is just another sad alt that coincidentally seems to only exist to defend Cranler and parrot his point of view

Big difference in those comparisons. Cka admits that a preorderer is taking a risk this making his point null and void.

Cranlers past outlook doesn't make his current points null and void.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411 lostrib

@monstersfa said:

@lostrib said:

@monstersfa said:

Big difference in those comparisons. Cka admits that a preorderer is taking a risk this making his point null and void.

Don't think CKA admitted that anywhere

But we all know you're just here to parrot Cranler anyways, even if he's being hypocritical.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#412 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@monstersfa said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@monstersfa said:

@CrownKingArthur said:

$48 on PC.

So you admint that preorder deals aren't much to brag about (1) and a consolite with the Best Buy deal is much better off than the pc gamer buying through gmg. (2)

1 & 2 - how did you come to that conclusion from what I posted? Actually don't answer that.

The answer to both of your assertions is "no".

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#413 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

I just bought Steam world dig and two other indie games for $1. Yeah.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#414 CrownKingArthur
@monstersfa said:

@lostrib said:

@monstersfa said:

@lostrib said:

Dear timster20/monstersfa/1fragleft:

Where did I admit preordering was risky? Nowhere. I said you can't bank on a game's goodness. Please stop spreading lies about me, and other people on here. I've already explained that those two statements are entirely compatible, and you seem to be the only person who fails to understand. I'll read your words and consider them, but quite honestly I'm comfortable with the two entirely separate arguments about different things, there's no hypocrisy there. If you'd like to be on the record disagreeing - I welcome that. We all do. But I'm telling you now - I've got no need to backpedal. I stand behind my statements.

Just for the entertainment of all I'll play my own devil's advocate here. At best, you've raised a moot point. Preordering exists on both consoles and PC anyway; the games are cheaper when preordered on PC. That's what I was responding to anyway, because someone called "Cranler" was wrong (based on the evidence they provided) about assassin's creed black flag being of equal day-1 cost to consumers on console and PC.

Anyway I'm still honored that you choose to persist with this interaction. I've never upset a triple-alt-account holder like this before.

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415 monstersfa

@CrownKingArthur said:
@monstersfa said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@monstersfa said:

So you admint that preorder deals aren't much to brag about (1) and a consolite with the Best Buy deal is much better off than the pc gamer buying through gmg. (2)

1 & 2 - how did you come to that conclusion from what I posted? Actually don't answer that.

The answer to both of your assertions is "no".

A pc game preorderer is stuck with the game whether he likes it or not. A consolite is not stuck with any game. Thus preordering only makes sense on console because like you said you'd never bank on any upcoming game being 'good'.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#416 CrownKingArthur
@monstersfa said:

A pc game preorderer is stuck with the game whether he likes it or not. A consolite is not stuck with any game. Thus preordering only makes sense on console because like you said you'd never bank on any upcoming game being 'good'.

That's a bit too general I'm afraid because for example Origin has an excellent refund policy, so I don't accept that a PC game preorderer is stuck with the game whether he likes it or not. That's a logical fallacy of a sweeping generalisation.

There's more wrong with that post - but a short answer from me: One can't bank on any upcoming game being good, therefore people (be they pc gamers, consolites - whatever) would be wise not to pre order games based on hype/marketing/developer pedigree/whatever. That was my point in the Mr Bigboi thread.

Yes that's right consolites can on sell their games ... as I have posted ... multiple times ... throughout the thread; this just comes as a set of compromises eg: more expensive games on consoles day-1, greater magnitude of price drop in a more compressed timespace on PC vs the used game console market (and that's used games in poor condition eg: without the case, manual, or any codes).

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#417 monstersfa

@CrownKingArthur said:
@monstersfa said:

That's a bit too general I'm afraid because for example Origin has an excellent refund policy, so I don't accept that a PC game preorderer is stuck with the game whether he likes it or not. That's a logical fallacy of a sweeping generalisation.

There's more wrong with that post - but a short answer from me: One can't bank on any upcoming game being good, therefore people (be they pc gamers, consolites - whatever) would be wise not to pre order games based on hype/marketing/developer pedigree/whatever. That was my point in the Mr Bigboi thread.

Yes that's right consolites can on sell their games ... as I have posted ... multiple times ... throughout the thread; this just comes as a set of compromises eg: more expensive games on consoles day-1, greater magnitude of price drop in a more compressed timespace on PC vs the used game console market (and that's used games in poor condition eg: without the case, manual, or any codes).

Origin's policy is only for EA games and they have no preorder savings.

You said you wouldn't bank on ANY upcoming game being good.

You're confusing price drops with sales. Wolfenstein for example is still $60 msrp on all platforms.

GMG games come with no case or manual so i don't see the problem. Codes are usually only available for preorders. Looks like you're grasping for anything at this point.

Sorry but the best preorder deal on AC Unity for example is to get the console version at Best Buy with the $10 gift card. The extra $2 from GMG doesn't make up for not truly owning the game and having no power over what you do with it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#418 clyde46

Man Cranler, you are really sad. Why are you continuing with this?

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419  Edited By CrownKingArthur

@monstersfa: Dear timster20/monstersfa/1fragleft: (I love the way how you've made attempt to deny this accusation, very honest of you)

that's great you admit that about origin, because it means you accept you made that logical fallacy of a sweeping generalisation, thank you. that's great.

"You said you wouldn't bank on ANY upcoming game being good.", and you quoted me saying "One can't bank on any upcoming game being good", so yes you're reading me correctly without any problems. that's great too.

you're confusing 'something' - i don't care what, with the actual price a person can pay for the game. i care about the price a human can pay and actually get the game.

The problem is that tradeable console games come with cases and manuals, these things have value. Their 'going missing' is an indication (in my opinion) the previous owner was neglectful. I've written about this in this thread.

"Sorry but the best preorder deal on AC Unity for example is to get the console version at Best Buy with the $10 gift card. The extra $2 from GMG doesn't make up for not truly owning the game and having no power over what you do with it."

that's your opinion. It can't be disproven that 48 is a smaller number than 50. It's cheaper day-1 on PC. Why is this such a sore point for you? I don't care that you personally see the value in being able to on-sell your games. I used to do that - I'm not into that any more, because eventually I'll want to revisit a game and it won't be there. that is merely my opinion that's hopefully worthless to you. at least we all know that 48 is less than 50.

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#420 GameFan1983
Member since 2004 • 2189 Posts

The only time when PC games being cheaper was during the mid life cycle of last gen consoles. These days console and PC games cost the same no matter how you cut it, unless PC version of a certain title got 6-12 month delay (GTA4, dark souls, gears of war etc.) or a sports game that are barebone 360/ps3 ports, of course buying and reselling options are always better on console. one thing though, PS4's game share system is the biggest money saver to those who have a lot of friends

Gaming on PC is always more expensive on both hardware and software, it's always known and expected for those who willing to commit.

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#421 monstersfa

@CrownKingArthur said:

@monstersfa: Dear timster20/monstersfa/1fragleft: (I love the way how you've made attempt to deny this accusation, very honest of you)

that's great you admit that about origin, because it means you accept you made that logical fallacy of a sweeping generalisation, thank you. that's great.

"You said you wouldn't bank on ANY upcoming game being good.", and you quoted me saying "One can't bank on any upcoming game being good", so yes you're reading me correctly without any problems. that's great too.

you're confusing 'something' - i don't care what, with the actual price a person can pay for the game. i care about the price a human can pay and actually get the game.

The problem is that tradeable console games come with cases and manuals, these things have value. Their 'going missing' is an indication (in my opinion) the previous owner was neglectful. I've written about this in this thread.

"Sorry but the best preorder deal on AC Unity for example is to get the console version at Best Buy with the $10 gift card. The extra $2 from GMG doesn't make up for not truly owning the game and having no power over what you do with it."

that's your opinion. It can't be disproven that 48 is a smaller number than 50. It's cheaper day-1 on PC. Why is this such a sore point for you? I don't care that you personally see the value in being able to on-sell your games. I used to do that - I'm not into that any more, because eventually I'll want to revisit a game and it won't be there. that is merely my opinion that's hopefully worthless to you. at least we all know that 48 is less than 50.

I'm not those other people but even if I was Timster what's your point?

Generally speaking a pc game preorderer is stuck with the game.

A case and manual has value? So that means all the digital pc game price examples are of less value than the console versions.

A buyer of a disc only game get more savings. A seller of damages discs gets a bad rep and could get banned from ebay.

The Best Buy console version buyer is getting the manual, case and disc which as you said: adds value. Of course the console buyer can trade game in for A LOT more than $2.

The end price is what truly matters.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#422  Edited By CrownKingArthur

"A buyer of a disc only game get more savings. A seller of damages discs gets a bad rep and could get banned from ebay."

this seller of damaged discs, who receives them? a buyer? so the buyer get savings and damaged discs then don't they. THINK monstersfa/timster20/1fragleft.

p3anut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#423 p3anut
Member since 2005 • 6609 Posts

PC cost more up front (that's if you decide to build a good PC) but you will save so much money during Steam sales or any other digital sales, Origin/amazon etc etc.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#424  Edited By lostrib

@GameFan1983 said:

The only time when PC games being cheaper was during the mid life cycle of last gen consoles. These days console and PC games cost the same no matter how you cut it, unless PC version of a certain title got 6-12 month delay (GTA4, dark souls, gears of war etc.) or a sports game that are barebone 360/ps3 ports, of course buying and reselling options are always better on console. one thing though, PS4's game share system is the biggest money saver to those who have a lot of friends

Gaming on PC is always more expensive on both hardware and software, it's always known and expected for those who willing to commit.

Kind of like Steam Family Sharing?

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#425  Edited By GameFan1983
@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

nope, steam family share doesn't allow 2 players access the same game at the same time, let along playing together online. many games on steam aren't sharable yet, plus handful games are "Origin exclusives" (BF3,4 crysis3 etc) some are even "ubi exclusives"

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426 lostrib

@GameFan1983 said:
@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

nope, steam family share doesn't allow 2 players access the same game at the same time, let along playing together online. many games on steam aren't sharable yet, plus handful games are "Origin exclusives" (BF3,4 crysis3 etc) some are even "ubi exclusives"

Are you talking about share play which only lets people play for like an hour?

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#427 GameFan1983

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:
@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

hell no loL!! that's PlayStation now's game leasing beta. i'm talking about the ps4's buddy system that allow 2-3 friends sharing the same game at anytime, even when playing online together.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By lostrib

@GameFan1983 said:

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:
@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

hell no loL!! that's PlayStation now's game leasing beta. i'm talking about the ps4's buddy system that allow 2-3 friends sharing the same game at anytime, even when playing online together.

link?

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#429 GameFan1983

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:
@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

link?

what link?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#430  Edited By lostrib

@GameFan1983 said:

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

link?

what link?

To what you are talking about, because it sounds like share play they recently announced for an upcoming update

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#431  Edited By GameFan1983

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

link?

what link?

To what you are talking about, because it sounds like share play they recently announced for an upcoming update

not sure when this function became available, but current 80% of my games were shared from my friends machine 3 weeks ago right after I bought a PS4, I only bought Killzone and Infamous, but now I pretty much got access to every single PS4 released titles and able to play together online, even some japanese games

This is the feature.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sonys-ps4-sharing-feature-is-a-game-changer-2014-8

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#432 monstersfa

@CrownKingArthur said:

"A buyer of a disc only game get more savings. A seller of damages discs gets a bad rep and could get banned from ebay."

this seller of damaged discs, who receives them? a buyer? so the buyer get savings and damaged discs then don't they. THINK monstersfa/timster20/1fragleft.

You sure did avoid a lot of my points psymoncrown.

You implied that disc only used games were likely to be damaged so I replied: Someone who sells damaged discs won't last long on ebay.

That's a completely separate point from disc only games going for a few less bucks.

I've read plenty of feedback and have yet to see a buyer complain of receiving a damaged disc on a disc only copy.

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#433  Edited By monstersfa

@GameFan1983 said:

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

what link?

not sure when this function became available, but current 80% of my games were shared from my friends machine 3 weeks ago right after I bought a PS4, I only bought Killzone and Infamous, but now I pretty much got access to every single PS4 released titles and able to play together online, even some japanese games

This is the feature.

http://www.businessinsider.com/sonys-ps4-sharing-feature-is-a-game-changer-2014-8

There's also the ability to share any games anytime. Two users can play the same library of games anytime.

With steam the two users can't play simultaneously and ea/ubi games aren't supported.

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Game-Share_with_Family_and_Friends

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#434  Edited By lostrib
@monstersfa said:

@GameFan1983 said:

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

what link?

This is the feature.

There's also the ability to share games anytime. Two users can play the same library of games anytime

http://www.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/How_to_Game-Share_with_Family_and_Friends

your link is broken

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435 monstersfa
@lostrib said:
@monstersfa said:

@GameFan1983 said:

@lostrib said:

@GameFan1983 said:

what link?

This is the feature.

There's also the ability to share games anytime. Two users can play the same library of games anytime

your link is broken

Tried to fix my post and still can't get the link to work. If you copy and paste it to address bar it will work.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#437 lostrib

@speak_low: Cranler and such

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#439 CrownKingArthur
@monstersfa said:

psymoncrown.

psymon100, When was that user last online ... and when did you sign up? Interesting. If this is your real account as you declared, then how can my former posting under psymon100 possibly have any significance to you, unless of course you do have an established account? (or someone's told you, even then why mention it? is this supposed to be threatening? i certainly don't feel threatened, but what's the dealio?)

I don't pretend that's not a formeraccount of mine, psymon100 - retired now. I have pm'd many people declaring that was my former account, so there's lots of ways you could have learned this. No worries! What I haven't done, is operated two or more accounts simultaneously for nefarious purposes. Benign comedic purposes yes, nefarious no.

Avoid? Not at all. You just said something ridiculous, you're not even considering where the damaged discs end up, and what actions of recourse are available for that human. Anyway some of the response already exists:

I'm not those other people (1) but even if I was Timster what's your point?

Generally speaking a pc game preorderer is stuck with the game.(2)

A case and manual has value? So that means all the digital pc game price examples are of less value than the console versions. (3)

A buyer of a disc only game get more savings. A seller of damages discs gets a bad rep and could get banned from ebay.(4)

The Best Buy console version buyer is getting the manual, case and disc which as you said: adds value.(5a) Of course the console buyer can trade game in for A LOT more than $2.

The end price is what truly matters.(6)

1) oh i don't have a point :D

2) post 301 & many others

3) yes ... well ... pc games cost less day-1, if something costs less it has less value, yes. i am 100% ok with this :D

4) post 422. & this: explain in full the actions for recourse a buyer of a bad discs has. cite examples, are there situations where people have got all their money back after receiving bad discs? are there statistics on success of this? make a convincing case, i've made mine. i haven't told you, but i've told cranler - i used to buy/sell games. I have bought a bad game before, not through ebay, but trademe - I had no actions of recourse. I ended up getting the disc resurfaced at my expense - i didn't get what i paid for from the buyer. not that anecdotal evidence is evidence i'm not pretending that, i mention that because i know in advance the answer to the question regarding actions of recourse the buyer of bad discs has, and the likelihood of success getting money back.

5a) has value, but remember - in the first instance you pay more for it on consoles ... and you get a bit more like a manual ... really it's about equal value, innit? makes sense too because the console game is worth less without the manual, the pc game is worthless without being a 'redeemable key' or equivalent. 5b) depends on lots of things but generally yes, but that doesn't make cranler right about the day-1 price being equal. or about 48 being less than 50. look i know all the compromises, post 301 and others.

6) yes as established many times in this thread - pc is the best for that.

hey now listen, if you're actually one of my old cronies playing a bit of joke on me & the rest of the sw gamespotters, sincerely - you do a very convincing Cranler. if you are, i hope all is well in your life (whoever you are - haha, sentiment to the whole gang anyways), and you remember all the laughs we had - we shared them every day for ages man it was good. sorry things didn't work out. remember all the supernovas? god that was great.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#440 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

@GameFan1983 said:

funny how I see people on tight budgets enjoy PC gaming here in Greece (with the crisis and all) while only people with loads of disposable incomes game on consoles.....

And for the life of it you cannot convince any of these PC gamers to switch to consoles....they simply dont have the money.

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441 monstersfa

@CrownKingArthur said:
@monstersfa said:

psymoncrown.

psymon100, When was that user last online ... and when did you sign up? Interesting. If this is your real account as you declared, then how can my former posting under psymon100 possibly have any significance to you, unless of course you do have an established account? (or someone's told you, even then why mention it? is this supposed to be threatening? i certainly don't feel threatened, but what's the dealio?)

I don't pretend that's not a formeraccount of mine, psymon100 - retired now. I have pm'd many people declaring that was my former account, so there's lots of ways you could have learned this. No worries! What I haven't done, is operated two or more accounts simultaneously for nefarious purposes. Benign comedic purposes yes, nefarious no.

Avoid? Not at all. You just said something ridiculous, you're not even considering where the damaged discs end up, and what actions of recourse are available for that human. Anyway some of the response already exists:

I'm not those other people (1) but even if I was Timster what's your point?

Generally speaking a pc game preorderer is stuck with the game.(2)

A case and manual has value? So that means all the digital pc game price examples are of less value than the console versions. (3)

A buyer of a disc only game get more savings. A seller of damages discs gets a bad rep and could get banned from ebay.(4)

The Best Buy console version buyer is getting the manual, case and disc which as you said: adds value.(5a) Of course the console buyer can trade game in for A LOT more than $2.

The end price is what truly matters.(6)

1) oh i don't have a point :D

2) post 301 & many others

3) yes ... well ... pc games cost less day-1, if something costs less it has less value, yes. i am 100% ok with this :D

4) post 422. & this: explain in full the actions for recourse a buyer of a bad discs has. cite examples, are there situations where people have got all their money back after receiving bad discs? are there statistics on success of this? make a convincing case, i've made mine. i haven't told you, but i've told cranler - i used to buy/sell games. I have bought a bad game before, not through ebay, but trademe - I had no actions of recourse. I ended up getting the disc resurfaced at my expense - i didn't get what i paid for from the buyer. not that anecdotal evidence is evidence i'm not pretending that, i mention that because i know in advance the answer to the question regarding actions of recourse the buyer of bad discs has, and the likelihood of success getting money back.

5a) has value, but remember - in the first instance you pay more for it on consoles ... and you get a bit more like a manual ... really it's about equal value, innit? makes sense too because the console game is worth less without the manual, the pc game is worthless without being a 'redeemable key' or equivalent. 5b) depends on lots of things but generally yes, but that doesn't make cranler right about the day-1 price being equal. or about 48 being less than 50. look i know all the compromises, post 301 and others.

6) yes as established many times in this thread - pc is the best for that.

hey now listen, if you're actually one of my old cronies playing a bit of joke on me & the rest of the sw gamespotters, sincerely - you do a very convincing Cranler. if you are, i hope all is well in your life (whoever you are - haha, sentiment to the whole gang anyways), and you remember all the laughs we had - we shared them every day for ages man it was good. sorry things didn't work out. remember all the supernovas? god that was great.

It is possible to browse this forum without an account in case you didn't know.

So why continually bring up those other users then?

You use gmg for price comparisons and then origin guarantee for owner rights comparisons. So on pc you can get savings on preorders or you can buy through origin to get very limited owners rights but you can't have both.

Meanwhile the console gamer can get $10 back on preorders and he actually owns the game, he can trade it in sell it on ebay etc.

Day -1 is but one factor, what about that day when you're done with a game? That's when the console gamer comes out far ahead.

Sorry but $50 for disc, case, manual and the ability to resell or trade destroys the $48 price with no ownership rights.

Again the end cost is where you determine whats cheaper.

Ac Unity $48 on pc

Ac Unity $50 console and then sell for $40

PC end cost $48

Console end cost $10

What about hardware day 1 costs? We can compare the price of a console vs a prebuilt pc.

Well aren't you sweet! In the end it's all about having fun arguing about frivolous things :)

monstersfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#442  Edited By monstersfa

Forgot to add ebay buyers remorse

Here’s how it works

Reach out to your seller.

If your item hasn’t arrived or
isn’t as described, get in touch with your seller.

Not resolved? Let us know.

If your issue’s not resolved in 3 business days, contact us.

We’ll get your money back fast.

You’ll hear from us in 48 hours. If you still haven’t received your item, or it isn’t as described, we’ll refund your purchase price, plus the original shipping.

CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#443 CrownKingArthur

@monstersfa: yes but even if you browsed it without an account, how would you make such a connection? considering you are the first person ever to suggest it, probably because i haven't been attracting attention getting me accused of alting! and yes i am very nice (mode average), frank, and honest indeed - sure you can tell :D you don't have to answer this btw, fun regardless. haha, 'keep me in the dark forever'.

ebay - i just wonder because that sounds open for someone to exploit ebay .... rather than cite what they claim they'll do, any experiences of users?

post 441 - 'then sell for $40' that's what you claim will happen, that is unlikely to happen consistently. the other day i sold 20 games to 9 different people for $180 total. That is unlikely to happen consistently too. more on this (*)

ok you said this "Sorry but $50 for disc, case, manual and the ability to resell or trade destroys the $48 price with no ownership rights."

that's absolutely fine, that is an opinion and i know plenty of people agree with that opinion. when people tell me they wanna get a pc/console/play games i fully inform them of the compromises (like i mention in post 301 except detailed and probably fairer).

course yeah if you game on console you can loan the disc to a friend for free, give it away, sell it, get it resurfaced, lose it, have it physically stolen from you, or burn down in a fire (though maybe good cos insurance). with a digital library on console ... oh yeah and on pc too, there are some advantages - like getting a new machine and just logging in to access the library, quick load times, sales whereby an opportunity for many to purchase the game cheaper than would otherwise be available (on pc, not sure about consoles. do you know? because if that was happening that would legitimately defeat my argument that pc was cheaper)

(*) reselling the console games: just rhetorically i wonder things like what is the loss of money per console game sold? and is it worth it to have the library decrease? you know its great consolites can choose what games they keep and what games they sell. those 9 console games i sold, on pc i can never sell them.

would you like to keep having a discussion about the relative merits of physical console vs pc (and possibly console)? because i will. but i think we'd be best to keep our posts to a minimum. maybe one point at a time? sorry yes i'm already in violation.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#444 clyde46

How many alts is that now Cranler?

napo_sp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445 napo_sp
Member since 2006 • 649 Posts

well steam is now using my country currency instead of USD and many AAA games prices now even reduced like 40% from the USD MSRP, witchers 3 for example is now around USD 29 in my country steam.

ha.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#446  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

I will have more than 6x the performance of the PS4 with my PC that cost me around 1,400USD.

The PS4 is 400USD not including tax and 6 PS4's is 2400USD.

So my PC is a much better bang for buck.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#447 True_Gamer_

@monstersfa said:

@CrownKingArthur said:
@monstersfa said:

It is possible to browse this forum without an account in case you didn't know.

So why continually bring up those other users then?

You use gmg for price comparisons and then origin guarantee for owner rights comparisons. So on pc you can get savings on preorders or you can buy through origin to get very limited owners rights but you can't have both.

Meanwhile the console gamer can get $10 back on preorders and he actually owns the game, he can trade it in sell it on ebay etc.

Day -1 is but one factor, what about that day when you're done with a game? That's when the console gamer comes out far ahead.

Sorry but $50 for disc, case, manual and the ability to resell or trade destroys the $48 price with no ownership rights.

Again the end cost is where you determine whats cheaper.

Ac Unity $48 on pc

Ac Unity $50 console and then sell for $40

PC end cost $48

Console end cost $10

What about hardware day 1 costs? We can compare the price of a console vs a prebuilt pc.

Well aren't you sweet! In the end it's all about having fun arguing about frivolous things :)

Still cannot convince poor people to game on the cheap consoles...strange eh?

GameFan1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448  Edited By GameFan1983

@True_Gamer_ said:

@GameFan1983 said:

funny how I see people on tight budgets enjoy PC gaming here in Greece (with the crisis and all) while only people with loads of disposable incomes game on consoles.....

And for the life of it you cannot convince any of these PC gamers to switch to consoles....they simply dont have the money.

That statement of mine was referring to the big picture, gaming preference from one or two countries where sales aren't that significant to the overall gaming market is not a part of the big picture. My point was, software wise console and PC cost the same, but put hardware cost and upgrade cost into the calculation, PC gaming cost whole lot more. I don't know what's average Greeks' economy status and their gaming preference, I'm only guessing(hopefully not insulting your country) like many PC gamers around the world, Greek PC gamers can gain access to many PC games for "free" hence, it make economically sense to the average not so wealth gamers.

And the heck I have to worry about convincing people to do things out of their reach??? their life, their money, their choose

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449 True_Gamer_

@GameFan1983 said:

@True_Gamer_ said:

@GameFan1983 said:

That statement of mine was referring to the big picture, gaming preference from one or two countries where sales aren't that significant to the overall gaming market is not a part of the big picture. My point was, software wise console and PC cost the same, but put hardware cost and upgrade cost into the calculation, PC gaming cost whole lot more. I don't know what's average Greeks' economy status and their gaming preference, I'm only guessing(hopefully not insulting your country) like many PC gamers around the world, Greek PC gamers can gain access to many PC games for "free" hence, it make economically sense to the average not so wealth gamers.

And the heck I have to worry about convincing people to do things out of their reach??? their life, their money, their choose

What if one IS NOT a complete graphics wh***re?

If I wanna have SAME graphics as consoles I can easily game on same expense....hardware wise.

Even not counting the "free" games sector.....

Now if we pretend that 800p=1080p and 30fps=60 then we gotta seek real professional help.

Avatar image for delete-simplyfatal
delete-SimplyFatal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#450 delete-SimplyFatal
Member since 2008 • 1122 Posts

@Jankarcop said:

$500 every 5 months, no thanks.

Bad troll is bad, i guess...