Is PC a console?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sammojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Sammojo
Member since 2007 • 967 Posts

Please redirect me if there is still an open thread about this.

I have heard a lot of 360 users claim that a game which is on 360 AND PC is 360 exclusive. This would mean that the PC is being disregarded as a gaming platform. If you can play the game on it then it is a console. Handheld are still consoles so how is a PC not. Your ideas please?

Lord_Ahti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Lord_Ahti
Member since 2007 • 1262 Posts
PC is not a console, however if a game is on a console and the PC it is not considered exclusive
Sammojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Sammojo

PC is not a console, however if a game is on a console and the PC it is not considered exclusiveLord_Ahti
'

Thank you. So you would not consider Gears of War or Bioshock exclusive? (I don't mean to be 360 bashing but there isnt really an example of a game that is on PS3 and PC only)

vegeta_god_dbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 vegeta_god_dbz
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts
I agree that PC is not a console but if a game like Battle for middle earth 2 is on both X360 and PC. so,is it not exclusive??
Sammojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Sammojo

I agree that PC is not a console but if a game like Battle for middle earth 2 is on both X360 and PC. so,is it not exclusive??vegeta_god_dbz

well you can play the game on something other than the console, so technically it is not exclusive to that console.

TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts
I believe it is a Personal Computer :P
TREAL_Since

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TREAL_Since
Member since 2005 • 11946 Posts

[QUOTE="Lord_Ahti"]PC is not a console, however if a game is on a console and the PC it is not considered exclusiveSammojo

'

Thank you. So you would not consider Gears of War or Bioshock exclusive? (I don't mean to be 360 bashing but there isnt really an example of a game that is on PS3 and PC only)

Well there's The Agency, a MMO that will be released on both the PS3 and PC.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 True_Gamer_
Member since 2006 • 6750 Posts

[QUOTE="Lord_Ahti"]PC is not a console, however if a game is on a console and the PC it is not considered exclusiveSammojo

'

The PC is same as a console and with more functionality...it can use any controller AND M/K...so its a gaming device same as a console...

Sammojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sammojo
well would you consider the agency PS3 exclusive?
PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

'

Can you play those games on a Console other then the 360?

PS3_3DO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PS3_3DO
Member since 2006 • 10976 Posts

well would you consider the agency PS3 exclusive?Sammojo

It's a Console exclusive like Age of Conan is to the 360 and PC.

Sammojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sammojo
PC is a games system, so yes you can. Define console someone...
darkplayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13 darkplayer
Member since 2003 • 13318 Posts
PC is not a console, it is however a system just like the DS is a handheld but still a gaming system, thats why it still applies in System Wars.
Sammojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Sammojo

[QUOTE="Sammojo"]well would you consider the agency PS3 exclusive?PS3_3DO

That means you exclude PC as a console. It is still a gaming system. Is a console not essentially a gaming system? If you can play games on it then it is a console. If a game is on more than one system then it isnt exclusive.

A_New_Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 A_New_Life
Member since 2007 • 494 Posts

No because PCs aren't gimped and not standardized.

And online is FREE/

Sammojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sammojo

No because PCs aren't gimped and not standardized.

And online is FREE/

A_New_Life

Explain "gimped and standardized". Online is free on PS3 and that is considered a console. What makes a console a console?

The fact that it runs through your TV and uses a controller? PC can do both those things, so I dont see why it cannot be considered as a console, just with extra features.

mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

No one cares about "console exclusives." Only EXCLUSIVES. Pure and simple. Adding any other word in front of "exclusive" like "console exclusive" or "timed exclusive" or "MS exclusive" or whatever is insecure rationalization that it's NOT exclusive.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts
Hurray, we're back to the console exclusive argument.
Sammojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sammojo

Hurray, we're back to the console exclusive argument.ImaPirate0202

Nope not the console exclusive, the system exclusive. the difference is that pc is included. :)

zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#20 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
Why would anyone think that the PC is a console? Consoles relay on specific hardware, PCs have multiple configurations.
ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

[QUOTE="ImaPirate0202"]Hurray, we're back to the console exclusive argument.Sammojo

Nope not the console exclusive, the system exclusive. the difference is that pc is included. :)

I know...

I was reffering to a thread made a while back by Casey dissecting this whole argument.

Avatar image for RKfromDownunder
RKfromDownunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RKfromDownunder
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

Ahhh... a truly important issue for nerds such as us, it creates so much strife over the interwebs.

Firstly: no the PC is not a console. Its a personal computer. Its everything a console tries to be and so much more.

As to the question of whether there is such a thing as console exclusive the answer is realistically no but idealistically yes. At the end of the day, if Gears is on 360 as well as PC, it cannot be called exlusive. A PC is not a 360. No matter how you twist it, its not exclusive. But it should be. It wasn't designed for PC and feels out of place on a PC. Its an arcade shooter with reticles the size of saucers. Its just NOT RIGHT. It works the same way for games that are 'console exclusives' but are simply ported PC games. Strategy games that are ported to consoles might as well be counted as PC exclusive, the port is generally an abomination.

Games like Oblivion and UT3 might as well have been console exclusive... They just aren't the same as their PC-orientated prequels.

Xolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xolver
Member since 2005 • 2052 Posts
PC is a platform, not a console. If a game's on a console and the PC, then it's a console exclusive, but that doesn't mean a lot.
garey017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

#24 garey017
Member since 2006 • 1725 Posts
I don't think they're trying to mislead anyone. The point they're making is that you can't get the game on another console (their competition). The PC is completely different, and not something console makers would consider competition, I would imagine. So, it's just easier to put "XBox 360 exlusive!!!" on the box, rather than "Not available on other consoles", which would be more accurate but doesn't sound as good. I'm sure they know people will figure it out.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
console exclusives was invented by lemmings to make their own games seem more appealing and then deny that the PC is hurting their overall sales. One look at Europe, where PC gaming is the dominant platform, and you'll see that these so called "360 console exclusives" are still hurting the 360.
raynimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 raynimrod
Member since 2005 • 6861 Posts
Basically it is a gaming "System" - hence its inclusion in System Wars. If any game is available on more than one System/Platform, then it is NOT exclusive. End of story.
Sammojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Sammojo

Ahhh... a truly important issue for nerds such as us, it creates so much strife over the interwebs.

Firstly: no the PC is not a console. Its a personal computer. Its everything a console tries to be and so much more.

As to the question of whether there is such a thing as console exclusive the answer is realistically no but idealistically yes. At the end of the day, if Gears is on 360 as well as PC, it cannot be called exlusive. A PC is not a 360. No matter how you twist it, its not exclusive. But it should be. It wasn't designed for PC and feels out of place on a PC. Its an arcade shooter with reticles the size of saucers. Its just NOT RIGHT. It works the same way for games that are 'console exclusives' but are simply ported PC games. Strategy games that are ported to consoles might as well be counted as PC exclusive, the port is generally an abomination.

Games like Oblivion and UT3 might as well have been console exclusive... They just aren't the same as their PC-orientated prequels.

RKfromDownunder

I agree with some parts but not most. Oblivion is the same game no matter what it is on. I dont think Gears is out of place on pc, although I agree with the strategy games one. Halo Wars however will be probably the first successful console strategy.

As we were saying, saying something is "Console" exclusive is pretty useless at it isnt truly exclusive. Exclusive essentially means you can only play it on that system and no other. PC is a system which plays much the same games. PC might not be a console as such, but it is a gaming system and gaming platform. The thing is that PC is involved in the competition. I am not going to buy COD4 for anything other than PC because I like the mouse. Their, PC is competing with and influencing the other systems. The only people saying that PC doesn't count is 360 owners who want to keep their "exclusives".

The argument about computers having too amny models making it not a console is stupid. It just means that it is harder to develop on, but that happens on the PS3 aswell due to the cell processor. There are a few different versions fo each console, so the PC isnt really that different. You put a disk in and it runs games on a screen. That is what "consoles" have been for ages and the PC does just that. The definition of a Console is a computer designed for the sole purpose of playing videogames. PC does that and then does more. Some people have PC's for that reason so technically some PC's are consoles. They are gaming system just like the rest and they should be treated like one. They should be included in the list of exclusives and should be able to have their own, such as Crysis.

Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

I think we need to define console. (Edit: I just read the post above mine which gives a definition)>

What is a console?

E

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

The word exclusive generally means something not shared or widely accessible. This is why the term console exclusive doesn't make sense, since it actually doesn't matter nearly as much if a game is on another console as it does on the PC.

Take Bioshock for example. It would actually be MORE exclusive to the 360 if it was on the PS3, instead of the PC. Why? The number of people with PS3's is literally a small fraction of the global PC gaming userbase. Heck, based on GPU sales it's a fraction of the Dx10 userbase.

By creating the term console exclusive, your basically saying "available to around 200 million people globally, but not another 10 million". It's completely against the spirit of the world and concept exclusive.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 True_Gamer_

console exclusives was invented by lemmings to make their own games seem more appealing and then deny that the PC is hurting their overall sales. One look at Europe, where PC gaming is the dominant platform, and you'll see that these so called "360 console exclusives" are still hurting the 360._Pedro_

I wanna see lemmings reply to this...

Im in the same place... I was that close to getting a 360 after I read that RE5 is highly likely to come on PC...

Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

The definition of a Console is a computer designed for the sole purpose of playing videogames.

Sammojo

If this truly is the definition of a console, then neither the PS3 or the 360 are consoles. Which brings up the important question: Is console gaming dying?

Both of these products do more than what consoles have traditionally done. They are becoming media devices and essentially miniPC's. Every proud console fanboy likes to think that PC gaming is dying, yet their consoles are becoming PC's, or multimedia devices. In essence theyare closed architecture media devices controlled by a mega-corporation that restricts gamer freedoms and charges for everything.

c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 c_smithii
Member since 2003 • 1505 Posts

PC is not a console, however if a game is on a console and the PC it is not considered exclusiveLord_Ahti

Its Microsoft exclusive.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Danm_999

[QUOTE="Lord_Ahti"]PC is not a console, however if a game is on a console and the PC it is not considered exclusivec_smithii

Its Microsoft exclusive.

If that term was worth it's salt, Gears of War wouldn't be going to MAC.

And MS doesn't control PC gaming. It actually pays developers to put the GFW logo, as opposed to 360 licensing fees.

c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 c_smithii
[QUOTE="c_smithii"]

[QUOTE="Lord_Ahti"]PC is not a console, however if a game is on a console and the PC it is not considered exclusiveDanm_999

Its Microsoft exclusive.

And MS doesn't control PC gaming. It actually pays developers to put the GFW logo, as opposed to 360 licensing fees.

you betcha by golly its worth the salt.

Since those PC Gears of War owners are playing their game on Microsoft Windows.

Believe it if the situation was in reverse and Sony and Nintendo was in Microsoft position, you guys would be pulling the same strings.

True_Gamer_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 True_Gamer_
[QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="c_smithii"]

[QUOTE="Lord_Ahti"]PC is not a console, however if a game is on a console and the PC it is not considered exclusivec_smithii

Its Microsoft exclusive.

Believe it if the situation was in reverse and Sony and Nintendo was in Microsoft position, you guys would be pulling the same strings.

And 90% of world's harwdare is running on windows...it doesnt mean that M$ is getting a squat out of gamers...not all of us are Billy's wipping boys...

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Danm_999

Its Microsoft exclusive.

Untrue.

Ever seen a thread where a Cow has claimed the Agency as a PS3 exclusive?

And why do you insist on applying the term exclusive on a situation where the game just isn't exclusive, since so many more people have access to it.

c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 c_smithii
[QUOTE="c_smithii"][QUOTE="Danm_999"][QUOTE="c_smithii"]

[QUOTE="Lord_Ahti"]PC is not a console, however if a game is on a console and the PC it is not considered exclusiveDanm_999

Its Microsoft exclusive.

Untrue.

Ever seen a thread where a Cow has claimed the Agency as a PS3 exclusive?

And why do you insist on applying the term exclusive on a situation where the game just isn't exclusive, since so many more people have access to it.

It it is, what it is, an exclusive Microsoft game. More people that have access to it the marrier. It just helps Microsoft and its 3rd party devs. increase their marketshare.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Danm_999

It it is, what it is, an exclusive Microsoft game. More people that have access to it the marrier. It just helps Microsoft and its 3rd party devs. increase their marketshare.

c_smithii

Again you make the assumption that Microsoft controls the PC like it does the 360. It does not. That's an irrelevent argument the people of System Wars put to bed ages ago.

This has been debated to death, and your not really providing any tangible argument why the terms Microsoft (since MS doesn't control PC gaming) or exclusive (since it's so accessible) should be used.

c_smithii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 c_smithii
[QUOTE="c_smithii"]

Danm_999

Again you make the assumption that Microsoft controls the PC like it does the 360. It does not.

This has been debated to death, and your not really providing any tangible argument why the terms Microsoft (since MS doesn't control PC gaming) or exclusive (since it's so accessible) should be used.

Then what you essentially saying is that PC gaming doesnt count, which defeats your argument about someXbox 360 exclusive games being available for it.

Otherwise, your just playing a PC game for Microsoft Windows which applies right back to the same company. There's no escaping it, no matter how you try to twist this.

Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Danm_999

c_smithii

Again you make the assumption that Microsoft controls the PC like it does the 360. It does not.

Then what you essentially saying is that PC gaming doesnt count, which defeats your argument about someXbox 360 exclusive games being available for it.

Otherwise, your just playing a PC game for Microsoft Windows which applies right back to the same company. There's no escaping it, no matter how you try to twist this.

Please explain to me how I'm saying PC gaming doesn't count if I'm arguing it is so similar to the 360 that they can't share a library. How does Microsoft doesn't control PC gaming turn into PC gaming not counting? If anything, I'm more closely integrating it to comparison with the consoles.

And we don't decide exclusivity based on what operating system, we decide it based on which system can play the games.

If we did, people wouldn't ask themselves "which games do I want and which systems are they on" when they went out, they'd ask "which systems give Microsoft indirect and direct revenue"?

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts

c_smithii

The same company has nothing to do with it, the PC and the 360 are both competing for the same spot. That is all that counts, if people abandon the 360 for the PC and buy a PS3 or the Wii for exclusives. Microsoft would just be losing money on one platform and the same happends the otherway around. Only the winner is supported in the end and that leaves room for debate and REAL exclusives.

Why Microsoft has 2 systems competing for the same spot is something entirely different.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts
http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=25865702