Is Nintendo Repeating itself?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GoldenCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GoldenCry
Member since 2007 • 44 Posts
I seriouslly can't help but see the wii as a Cube 2...games/hardware-wise. I see nothing but kiddy type games and in fact limited good games, only good one out there now is like, what... zelda..right? Lets not get into its graphics. Besides only good games i see coming out in the future is Metroid prime 3 corruptions and the New Resident evil: umbrella chronicles. Thats it. I'm sick of constant mario and anime type games.

I seriouslly hope Nintendo have alot of dev support for the wii in the coming months and years..unlike the horrible death cube had.

Also is it just me or is the Wii kinda of a Short lasting thing??...the fun doest really last. I had my fair share at Wiisports etc etc and it was fun at first but after awhile it just gets boring. Graphics aswell hads more to the pain. Like i said lets hope things improve.  Your thoughts???
akatsuki0wn3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 akatsuki0wn3d
Member since 2006 • 1151 Posts
I have a pswii60, and I do think nintendo is on the right track, and the wrong track. they did a good job of getting the nongamers to try wii, however they arent doing a good job looking ahead into the future.
Xbox_PWNS_YOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Xbox_PWNS_YOU
Member since 2004 • 939 Posts

I seriouslly can't help but see the wii as a Cube 2...games/hardware-wise. I see nothing but kiddy type games and in fact limited good games, only good one out there now is like, what... zelda..right? Lets not get into its graphics. Besides only good games i see coming out in the future is Metroid prime 3 corruptions and the New Resident evil: umbrella chronicles. Thats it. I'm sick of constant mario and anime type games.

I seriouslly hope Nintendo have alot of dev support for the wii in the coming months and years..unlike the horrible death cube had.

Also is it just me or is the Wii kinda of a Short lasting thing??...the fun doest really last. I had my fair share at Wiisports etc etc and it was fun at first but after awhile it just gets boring. Graphics aswell hads more to the pain. Like i said lets hope things improve.  Your thoughts???
GoldenCry

The Cube 1.5 is obliterating teh PS3 SuperComputer

mfacek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 mfacek
Member since 2006 • 3000 Posts
Yea the Wii is fun, but in a year or so when all these flashy graphically advanced games continue to come out for the 360 and PS3 it will be in trouble.
GoldenCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GoldenCry
True, Kinda miss the Snes/N64 days...there range of games were insane. I don't see those types of games anymore..but rather on the Xbox and PS platform. Its like they want to stick to Kiddy type games and less violent games etc etc.

GoldenCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GoldenCry

[QUOTE="GoldenCry"]I seriouslly can't help but see the wii as a Cube 2...games/hardware-wise. I see nothing but kiddy type games and in fact limited good games, only good one out there now is like, what... zelda..right? Lets not get into its graphics. Besides only good games i see coming out in the future is Metroid prime 3 corruptions and the New Resident evil: umbrella chronicles. Thats it. I'm sick of constant mario and anime type games.

Also is it just me or is the Wii kinda of a Short lasting thing??...the fun doest really last. I had my fair share at Wiisports etc etc and it was fun at first but after awhile it just gets boring. Graphics aswell hads more to the pain. Like i said lets hope things improve. Your thoughts???
Xbox_PWNS_YOU

Well DUH!, but thats not the point. Its winning cause of the New change..and overall different experience. But how long will this last with its current veriety of games etc etc??? They can seriouslly get old FAST. I seriouslly don't expect sales like this to STAY like this in the coming years...expecially with the way nintendo is going. I hope Devs kinda focus more on great games and graphics rather then HOW to get the game working so well with the controller.
r11011b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 r11011b
Member since 2006 • 487 Posts
I don't own a Wii, so you can take my opinion about it for what it is (not much), but I do get the sense that it may end up the same way the Gamecube did, as far as games go. Granted, Nintendo titles will probably be great, but third-party support is definitely in question. And secondly, will the Wii fulfill its potential, or become simply a machine geared specifically toward non-gamers that will have a mess of mini-games and gimmicky, thrown-together third-party titles (that use the Wiimote just for the sake of using it)? I'm undecided about whether or not I'll eventually get a Wii, and the main reason for that is because of my experience with the Gamecube. Nintendo games are great, no question, but they seem to be few and far between during the lifespan of its consoles.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

GoldenCry
Kiddie games?
True, Kinda miss the Snes/N64 days...there range of games were insane. I don't see those types of games anymore..but rather on the Xbox and PS platform. Its like they want to stick to Kiddy type games and less violent games etc etc.

GoldenCry
I like how you use the kiddy term, that is one of the reason I enjoy their games, it because of their imagination. I mean from Animal Crossing to Pikmin, they are were all great games. Matured theme games; Sadness, Resident Evil: UB, No More Heroes, Godfather.
Xbox_PWNS_YOU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Xbox_PWNS_YOU
Member since 2004 • 939 Posts
[QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

[QUOTE="GoldenCry"]I seriouslly can't help but see the wii as a Cube 2...games/hardware-wise. I see nothing but kiddy type games and in fact limited good games, only good one out there now is like, what... zelda..right? Lets not get into its graphics. Besides only good games i see coming out in the future is Metroid prime 3 corruptions and the New Resident evil: umbrella chronicles. Thats it. I'm sick of constant mario and anime type games.

Also is it just me or is the Wii kinda of a Short lasting thing??...the fun doest really last. I had my fair share at Wiisports etc etc and it was fun at first but after awhile it just gets boring. Graphics aswell hads more to the pain. Like i said lets hope things improve. Your thoughts???
GoldenCry

Well DUH!, but thats not the point. Its winning cause of the New change..and overall different experience. But how long will this last with its current veriety of games etc etc??? They can seriouslly get old FAST. I seriouslly don't expect sales like this to STAY like this in the coming years...expecially with the way nintendo is going. I hope Devs kinda focus more on great games and graphics rather then HOW to get the game working so well with the controller.

Oooo you shouldn't have mentioned games if you wanted to defend the PS3.

The Wii's current game lineups destroys everything on the PS3. The PS3 won't have any games worth playing until "sometime" in 2008 when MGS4 comes out. Meanwhile, the Wii gets Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest...the list goes on and on.

GoldenCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GoldenCry
[QUOTE="r11011b"]I don't own a Wii, so you can take my opinion about it for what it is (not much), but I do get the sense that it may end up the same way the Gamecube did, as far as games go. Granted, Nintendo titles will probably be great, but third-party support is definitely in question. And secondly, will the Wii fulfill its potential, or become simply a machine geared specifically toward non-gamers that will have a mess of mini-games and gimmicky, thrown-together third-party titles (that use the Wiimote just for the sake of using it)? I'm undecided about whether or not I'll eventually get a Wii, and the main reason for that is because of my experience with the Gamecube. Nintendo games are great, no question, but they seem to be few and far between during the lifespan of its consoles.

You nailed it there, buddy...can't agree more. Its looks like its definetly heading that way. But who knows its still early, Just can't shake off the feeling that it will head in some way like the cube did.
GoldenCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GoldenCry
[QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

Xbox_PWNS_YOU

The Wii's current game lineups destroys everything on the PS3. The PS3 won't have any games worth playing until "sometime" in 2008 when MGS4 comes out. Meanwhile, the Wii gets Super Paper Mario, Metroid Prime 3, Smash Bros Brawl, Super Mario Galaxy, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest...the list goes on and on.

Not defending the PS3, Just pointing out that the wii doesn't have such great games coming to it. Besided corny and annoying kiddy games like Mario, Pokemon..etc etc, Where are some awesome mature titles??? that Ninty had in the n64 days?? Nintendo need to work something out here, seriouslly. Just go to your retail store and look at there range of titles and try NOT to laugh.
bloodychimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 bloodychimp
Member since 2006 • 933 Posts
I dont think its going to end up a Gamecube 2 (though I still love my Gamecube). SSBB online will probably match Halo 3 online for number of players, and as far as 3rd Party support goes, Capcom is leading the way with No More Heroes and RE:UC, and other devs will follow soon (including Konami with what appears to be a real DDR and Dewy's Adventure - which looks pretty good but the main significance is that a 3rd party is finally trying to put a character action game up against Nintendo's finest). Square is also bringing FF:CC (the last one was ruined only because you needed 3 friends with GBA's and cables - wont be a problem this time around) and that new DQ spinoff which, if you judge by the last few DQ games (VII, VIII, Rocket Slime) will be simply amazing,
r11011b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 r11011b
Member since 2006 • 487 Posts
One interesting article I read recently talked a little about the Wii reviving old game genres, like the adventure game. In all honesty, the Wiimote would be perfect for such games like Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion (LucasArts, please make a new one and stop it with all the Star Wars), Grim Fandango, etc. I, personally, would be sold if the Wii started releasing those sorts of games, as the adventure genre as it stands is dead (though one of my favorites).

The main point of all this is that the Wii has great potential. It's just a question of whether or not we'll see it.

And also...as far as number and quality of games is concerned...let's just agree that, at the moment, the playing field is bleak for both Wii and PS3, and it just boils down to your own personal preferences.
Pulse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pulse123
Member since 2005 • 160 Posts
[QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

GoldenCry

Not defending the PS3, Just pointing out that the wii doesn't have such great games coming to it. Besided corny and annoying kiddy games like Mario, Pokemon..etc etc, Where are some awesome mature titles??? that Ninty had in the n64 days?? Nintendo need to work something out here, seriouslly. Just go to your retail store and look at there range of titles and try NOT to laugh.

Do u listen to what anyone says how can u still complain about the lack of mature content on the wii when it is getting games like No More Heros, Sadness, and RE:UC and let us not forget that possibly the most violent game this generation is making an appearance, Manhunt 2.
killerkop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 killerkop
Member since 2004 • 2187 Posts
One interesting article I read recently talked a little about the Wii reviving old game genres, like the adventure game. In all honesty, the Wiimote would be perfect for such games like Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion (LucasArts, please make a new one and stop it with all the Star Wars), Grim Fandango, etc. I, personally, would be sold if the Wii started releasing those sorts of games, as the adventure genre as it stands is dead (though one of my favorites).

The main point of all this is that the Wii has great potential. It's just a question of whether or not we'll see it.

And also...as far as number and quality of games is concerned...let's just agree that, at the moment, the playing field is bleak for both Wii and PS3, and it just boils down to your own personal preferences.r11011b

along with the fact that people have already started making games like that for the DS.  Hotel Dusk and to a lesser extent, Phoenix Wright.  I'm sure as long as the sales on the DS look promising enough eventually the Wii will end up with some of the same.  I mean, Cooking Mama did well enough for them to port that to Wii, right?
GoldenCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GoldenCry
[QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

Pulse123

Do u listen to what anyone says how can u still complain about the lack of mature content on the wii when it is getting games like No More Heros, Sadness, and RE:UC and let us not forget that possibly the most violent game this generation is making an appearance, Manhunt 2.

the cube also had its share of mature titles...so whats your point?? IT better have ALOT MORE!! in its lifespan. We shall see...but we are definetly not seeing this happen yet. Like i said i hope things improve, Right now its alot of gimmicky and kiddy games based around the controller. Just look at the titles out now..seriouslly is laugable.
Pulse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pulse123
[QUOTE="Pulse123"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

GoldenCry

the cube also had its share of mature titles...so whats your point?? IT better have ALOT MORE!! in its lifespan. We shall see...but we are definetly not seeing this happen yet. Like i said i hope things improve, Right now its alot of gimmicky and kiddy games based around the controller. Just look at the titles out now..seriouslly is laugable.

Well im pretty sure that there is a few more titles coming out this week such as SSX blur and Tiger Woods ( not 100% on that) , and i dont care what u say there is no poosible way that it could be more fun to play tiger woods with better graphics on the PS3 or Xbox360, than it would be to actually swing the wii mote like u are playing golf.
apolloluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 apolloluke
Member since 2006 • 1273 Posts
nintendo can be as kiddy as they want. ds is kiddy and it owns the competition
apolloluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 apolloluke
[QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Pulse123"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

Pulse123

Well im pretty sure that there is a few more titles coming out this week such as SSX blur and Tiger Woods ( not 100% on that) , and i dont care what u say there is no poosible way that it could be more fun to play tiger woods with better graphics on the PS3 or Xbox360, than it would be to actually swing the wii mote like u are playing golf.

i STRONGLY disagree with the comment on tiger woods. you have far more shot control on the ps3/360, ive seen the tech demos for the wii version. if you simply want to swing your arms around go play a real round of golf.
mtcoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mtcoola
Member since 2005 • 1282 Posts
Imo, Wii is repeating DS. It will have tons of small games as well as games for the hardcore market. We'll have to see though.
laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
[QUOTE="Pulse123"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Pulse123"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

apolloluke

i STRONGLY disagree with the comment on tiger woods. you have far more shot control on the ps3/360, ive seen the tech demos for the wii version. if you simply want to swing your arms around go play a real round of golf.

Its a freaking tech demo. not a full fledged golf game. good job there
apolloluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 apolloluke
[QUOTE="apolloluke"][QUOTE="Pulse123"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Pulse123"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

laughingman42

Its a freaking tech demo. not a full fledged golf game. good job there

everyone knows the wiimote is inaccurate. cant wait for the frustration when players think they hit the ball straight and it ends up in the trees.
coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 coreygames
Member since 2005 • 5027 Posts
...But who knows its still early...GoldenCry
then what was the point in this thread other than: -flame bait -bash attempt -damage control
coreygames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 coreygames
Member since 2005 • 5027 Posts
Its a freaking tech demo. not a full fledged golf game. good job thereapolloluke
1. For a tech demo, it's gotten more awards then most full fledged games. [QUOTE="laughingman42"] everyone knows the wiimote is inaccurate. cant wait for the frustration when players think they hit the ball straight and it ends up in the trees.

2. I laugh at your thoughts. Have you even played Wii Golf?
Pulse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pulse123
[QUOTE="Pulse123"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Pulse123"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

apolloluke

Until u have actually played the game u have no idea that u have far more shot control and anyway when it comes to realism in a game making the motion is about as close as it gets.
Kriact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Kriact
Member since 2006 • 746 Posts

Xbox_PWNS_YOU
The main concern is third party support which I think it will get a lot of. Devs see how popular it is and have little choice there. They have to follow the fans. I wish Square-Enix would make better stuff for Wii other the FF:Crystal Chronicles. It's really just another kiddie game. I guess Fire Emblem is good I hope it continues well on the Wii. PS2 really was the best console last gens.
GoldenCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GoldenCry
[QUOTE="GoldenCry"]...But who knows its still early...coreygames
then what was the point in this thread other than: -flame bait -bash attempt -damage control

Errr, maybe because Nintendo has a history of bad 3rd party support and lack of good mature titles?? Nintendo has yet to show that things have changed this time around...good games are lacking at the moment. and i don't see any good future titles besides like 2 games...rest is kiddy trash and mario games. We shall see tho.
akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts
if the wii does end up another cube, i'll be happy i loved the GC last gen .. so many great games i even preferred it over the PS2 if you can believe that
siafni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 siafni
Member since 2005 • 629 Posts

GoldenCry

Totally agree: the Wii looks likte a short distance runner to me. It started great (I'm takling sales here), but I doubt mini games and stuff will keep everyone interested.
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
Most people would draw a more valid comparison with the DS, what the Wii offers ultimately doesn't matter, it's how Nintendo advertises it.
AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 AvinashTyagi
Member since 2005 • 4433 Posts
[QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

GoldenCry

Think about it, if Ninty keep destroying the PS3, where do you think Devs are going to go, with the small userbase, or the big userbase?
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
[QUOTE="coreygames"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"]...But who knows its still early...GoldenCry

Errr, maybe because Nintendo has a history of bad 3rd party support and lack of good mature titles?? Nintendo has yet to show that things have changed this time around...good games are lacking at the moment. and i don't see any good future titles besides like 2 games...rest is kiddy trash and mario games. We shall see tho.

Doesn't have to change, only the marketing strategy has to.
AvinashTyagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 AvinashTyagi
Member since 2005 • 4433 Posts
[QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"][QUOTE="GoldenCry"][QUOTE="Xbox_PWNS_YOU"]

GoldenCry

No more heroes, Manhunt 2, RE: UC, among others if you need your blood and gore
t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
Could go either way. It's not like it's been a year of two yet.
KJAX90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 KJAX90
Member since 2006 • 8809 Posts

apolloluke

Every fanboy in denial says this. What if I don't feel like going out and paying for 2 games of bowling, or what it's raining outside and I want to golf? I can play it right in my house whenever I want.

NRGCDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NRGCDS
Member since 2005 • 1470 Posts

GoldenCry
if there were online titles on wii do you call it a cube2. I don't and you are to lazy to try Mario Galaxy that will be the best mario game on the wii. and there is other games Like Animal Crossing, Super Paper Mario, Red Steel 2, Mario Party 8, Pokemon Battle Revolution, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. You missed that game because you don't realize that it has an Online Feature in it. My thoughts is you are to Lazy to try Mario before hating it and you didn't read some of the games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl and it will have online feature in it your thoughts suck.
HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 HeedleGlavin
Member since 2005 • 15373 Posts

GoldenCry
The Wii launch is actually nothing like the GC launch. 1. Higher pricepoint 2. Alot more games 3. Zelda at launch 4. Alot more games in the launch window 5. Smaller and sleeker console 6. More than twice as powerful as the GC; more powerful than the original XBox 7. Free online play 8. Online functionality (messaging, news, weather, etc.) 9. Virtual Console 10. Full-GC backwards compatability (complete with GC memory card and controller compatability) 11. Motion-sensitive controller 12. More 3rd party support than the GC could have ever dreamed of
NotEvenClose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NotEvenClose
Member since 2006 • 793 Posts

HeedleGlavin
The Wii launch is actually nothing like the GC launch. 1. Higher pricepoint 2. Alot more games 3. Zelda at launch 4. Alot more games in the launch window 5. Smaller and sleeker console 6. More than twice as powerful as the GC; more powerful than the original XBox 7. Free online play 8. Online functionality (messaging, news, weather, etc.) 9. Virtual Console 10. Full-GC backwards compatability

Dude, you nailed it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
The Wii is vastly different than the GC.I think HeedleGlavin has already proven that above.
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
Yea the Wii is fun, but in a year or so when all these flashy graphically advanced games continue to come out for the 360 and PS3 it will be in trouble.mfacek

If the Wii were focused on the same market of gamers, then yes...you would have a point there, but it's not.
HeedleGlavin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#41 HeedleGlavin
Member since 2005 • 15373 Posts
Yea the Wii is fun, but in a year or so when all these flashy graphically advanced games continue to come out for the 360 and PS3 it will be in trouble.mfacek
Graphics were never the deciding factor in any other generation - why would they be now? :|
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts
When you compare the Gamecube to the PS2/Xbox, what does it offer you? It doesn't offer you anything over the other consoles except for Nintendo exclusives. That's it. It was hardly a reason to pick up the console.

The Wii, however, is so radically different from the PS3 and 360 that it stands out and becomes an attractive buy because it's offering gamers a different gaming experience. In addition, it's fully backwards compatible with Gamecube games, offers you a VC service and some clever online features, and eventually Nintendo will have their online gaming service in full effect (another thing the Cube did not offer). That, and it's really, REALLY fun to play, especially when you have people over.
nytrospawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nytrospawn
Member since 2003 • 3962 Posts
[QUOTE="laughingman42"] Its a freaking tech demo. not a full fledged golf game. good job thereapolloluke
everyone knows the wiimote is inaccurate. cant wait for the frustration when players think they hit the ball straight and it ends up in the trees.

Well, someone has to tell the game reviewers that. Apparently they feel that its pixel point accurate.