Is Nintendo biased against the West?

• 96 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Not following. They're a japanese company. They look at games as a trade. The original post makes the assmption that they operate under the same criteria as everybody else. They don't. I'm unsure what the article is even asking. It sort of reads like, "well why doesn't nintendo make games based on current, popular, western design. "

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#52  Edited By super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

I think nintendo started to shift towards the east like a decade ago because there western strategy even though it was great it wasn't that effective outside North America and Canada to an extent. Nintendo does need to focus on the west a bit more. One way they can do this is by partnering with western companies that they can easily align with.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I thought they were always biased. That's why they got an actual sequel to SMB and we got that alternative SMB 2 quite sometime later. Plus all their games back then were always released in Japan first.

Yet all their characters resemble Easter European Caucasians as apposed to Oriental but whatever. Also, Sega never exactly had a good track record with the west, actually I think they have always been worse.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@speak_low said:
@inb4uall said:

Why would sheep so desperately want that 8.0 flop of a game TLOU? just lol.

Well my whole post (when you don't address some things I've said, I assume you loved it and agreed with it) was about Nintendo having all that marvelous company freedom to surpass those games if they wanted. I know the moment I mention anything that isn't a Nintendo 1st/2nd party game, and the moment it makes too much money, it's automatically crap and trash to many Nintendo owners (AC, COD, GTA, TLOU, Uncharted, Gears, etc). So that's why I said "okay, Nintendo, show me better."

I'm just saying that Nintendo could've assembled a stronger dream team of Japan + Western devs years ago, and we'd be seeing more games today that rival or even destroy whatever deep storytelling or more "Western" titles ND, Ubisoft and Rockstar could create. But when I look at what's cookin in Nintendo land when it comes to 2nd party today, I see The Devil's Third. And that's a Nintendo-funded game that's trying to compete with popular Western titles? Ugh.

The reality is, it's not so easy making a successful game with good storytelling and something that can satisfy Western tastes. It took Rockstar, ND and other devs many titles and years of hard work, and they're still figuring things out (and there's room for improvement even from these very seasoned and talented developers). Whoever made The Devil's Third couldn't make something as interesting or a good as TLOU or GTA V. People who say they could are like those delusional couch potatoes who say they could win the Olympic Gold Medal, Heisman Trophy and Pulitzer Prize if they wanted, but just don't feel like it. Suuuuuuure you could, buddy.

My suggestion for Nintendo and 2nd parties to branch out and readjust their focus a tad more towards Western-style games doesn't mean it will suddenly change everything overnight either. Nintendo should've started a more Western focus years ago, and should've been entering their creative stride and peak right now, not just starting and reacting to the desperate install base situation they're seeing now. So, to put it simply - it's kind of too late, and many of Nintendo's teams are too undercooked to handle what ND, Rockstar, Ubisoft, etc are doing because they didn't put the time in (and neither can Rockstar or Ubisoft easily do whatever platform games Nintendo 1st party makes, so it goes both ways. Dev teams need to go through those long learning phases).

There is one alternative that could work imo, and that is going with the smaller "piece-by-piece" episodic method like what TellTale Games do with The Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us (and their future Borderlands/Game of Thrones). Other than that, I don't see Nintendo successfully forcing their 2nd parties to make games that can rival polished Western AAA titles like TLOU, Uncharted, AC and GTA (popular games that Nintendo really needs to capitalize on and have as exclusives too). And I'm tired of hearing people say "EW I don't want those games!" The point I keep making is, these varied games attract more console buyers, so I'm not saying Nintendo has to make it exactly the way those devs make it, and maybe they could make it better or add their own Nintendo stamp or flair. It'd be nice if people stop flipping out whenever I mention AAA action, blockbuster, movie-esque, TPS, FPS or open world sandbox games. Some Nintendo owners act like they're absolute poison (if you're going to act so resistant and elitist, why do you accept The Devil's Third as a good addition to the Wii U library? lmao)

@Boddicker said:

Cool. Even Xtina agrees there needs to be more Western partnerships!

@funsohng said:

@speak_low said:
Miyamoto probably don't play or care much about Western games (seriously, imagining them playing Gears, Uncharted and Mass Effect is hilarious)

Actually, Miyamoto does play Western games. I remember one E3 where he was playing Killzone 2 or 3.

So he just played a demo at E3 and that is enough? Is he a fan and has he played more than five of them to completion the past two years? If he doesn't play them, I don't really mind it - you can't force him to change his tastes, obviously. But I just have a feeling he and Iwata are more about games like Pikmin/Animal Crossing/Brain Age and don't care one bit about games like Far Cry 4, The Order, GTA V, TLOU and Halo 5. Still, Iwata and those in charge still need to make the successor cater to all types of gamers next time (I don't think the Wii U is quite there with the small Hard Drive, low power output, low specs, etc)

Not going to lie, I skimmed your post. Mainly because I think you're crazy, a hater, and I don't really value your opinion as a result. That said I was really only making fun of TLOU not the rest of the games you mentioned. I'm also not sure wtf the point of this thread as a whole is. Sure people can be salty because Nintendo doesn't conform to the industry. Personally I like that they do things differently. I like GTA, Gears, God of War etc. but I don't need nintendo to make games like that also. I prefer a balance. Nintendo contrasts the western industry well as they are and provide something no one else does.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#55 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

Yup Nintendo is bias...but the issue is also - keeping Japan only games in Japan. If they don't want a western devs team fine..but at least release them "Japan only games" to the west..not releasing it just means "no games" for the west..& the west is a bigger market. Do on the cheap just english subtitle them. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Bias implies a level of consideration. Nintendo just doesn't give much of a shit about the west.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#57 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

This was a great article by vgchartz. This is an issue more vg news sources should asking about. Nintendo used to be more international.

The biggest issue was their restructure. To encourage game development, propped by mega wii dollars, they built a giant studio in Japan meant for Nintendo to help third parties to develop games. Companies like Platinum benefit from this, but no western companies at all.

The point about Retro is right on the money. Nintendo seems obsessed with keeping them under tight control and not to be creative at all. Retro was the driving force behind Metroid Prime, but Nintendo gave increasing control to Sakamoto and other leaders of theirs. Now Retro just makes Nintendo sequels, with Nintendo's own people firmly in charge. They are nothing like Rare was for Nintendo. I'm sure this is a good way to make sure they don't lose IPs like they did with Conker and Banjo Kazooie but imo it's worth losing something in the future if you get something special in the here and now.

It's no wonder that Retro loses good people, like with 343 studios. At some point good people want to be creative instead of falling into line.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@GunSmith1_basic: The other argument was that Nintendo kept them focused by making them develop one game at a time. When Nintendo first acquired Retro, Retro was in flux between 7 projects. This was a studio that has overextended itself.

It was a perfect relationship between Retro and Nintendo. Nintendo has the capital and the expertise for a talented studio like Retro, who btw, actually wanted to do a new Donkey Kong game. The only thing Nintendo really has input is offering feedback and suggestions, which is ultimately to the studio's discretion.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#59  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

Dude, it's a well written article with facts and evidence to support it's points. You don't have to agree with it but just screaming BULLSHIT doesn't have the same impact.

How? I'm sorry, but have you looked at that thread hard enough? A few users have also provided facts on why some of his points are... just that, BS, even to the point of sourcing them.

Its the butthurt of some sheeps when someone telling his opinion while backing up his claims ... Let him be ! He goes mad mode whoever says something about Nintendo in a bitter fashion ! Typical fanboys

There goes Azatis again. The anti-Nintendo feelings in this guy are insane. Probably the most butthurt person on these boards.

Read my reply once again you butthurt sheep. You see , all i do is answer to your pathetic cries and claims. A decent article and you go into rage mode , then im the butthurt ? You are the butthurt over a constructive article/criticism!! You are telling other consoles are BS , you are telling Wii U is the best , you are telling other consoles have no games or are in pathetic states and you are crying over and over in any kind of constructive criticism.... Whos the butthurt again ?

all i did was to answer to YOUR cries !! Understand what im doing here ? How im the butthurt , for what ? hahaha. You are the ones cried over this article calling it BS ... I found it pretty decent , that guy backed up his points and it had a point overall. You dont have to agree but to go mad mode ? Really ? I will repsond again and again to that kind of fanboyism/rage/respond. Even if it was for Wii U , PS4 or X1. Period

Sheeps you are so funny its getting ridiculous. I can feel your cries all over me .. Calling BS this article and cry over it while calling me butthurt which all i did was respond to a butthurt comment .... Lol ... ok !!! If that makes you feel better im the butthurt !! Ok now , how you feeling , any better? ..... so much rage and cries from sheeps unlike last gen! I wonder why .... So sensitive over every single constructive criticism. Every single one.

PS : As for my anti-Nintendo feelings ... You missed my posts of praising Nintendo decisions and some of their games when they really delivered . Im being fair to all and you know who doesnt like that ? Fanboys. Sensitive over everything. Truth hurts right ? Only if you are a fanboy though , and you people are !!

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 hiphops_savior

@AzatiS: You know, it would help if you weren't as condescending as your posts implies. Not because you're not making good points, but it is hard to hear them out through presumptions (which I am guilty of, and I apologize).

There is nothing wrong with being a fan of a product, and in Nintendo's case, much of it is certainly justifiable. However, holding anyone but God up on a pedestal will always leave you disappointed. In Iwata's case, his business practice should be called into question. That, and combined with his health, has reasons to convince me that a new CEO who has connections with both Western and Japanese developers might be beneficial (Iwata himself would be promoted to a more vague role).

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#61 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

Here's a question brought up by someone in that VGChartz thread: Is SONY biased for the US?

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

The article makes a good point.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#63 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41527 Posts

@mr_huggles_dog said:

The article makes a good point.

Not when there's flawed research involved.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#64  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I wonder if you would be able to say the same about MS if you would look at the state of their developers :P
They got rid of plenty of western devs too.

Maybe it's bias. I'd be interested to know. Don't know how to tell, since it could just as well be an almost cultural disagreement on game theory.

So let's say they are biased and they would change that, what effect are you hoping for?
If they would do an FPS or simulator I would actually WANT them to approach it from a Japanese game developer perspective... but I wouldn't mind Nintendo creating some games that are slightly more targeted at a smaller audience such as a Mass Effect kind of game.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

I've said it many times here already. Japan is insular and isolationist. And along with it comes ignorance of the outside world, decadent creativity (experiencing arts outside of your own culture widens your creativity pool), etc. It is why Nintendo is so behind the times when it comes to online and even though they have so much potential for other genres they don't risk and try. For those blaming Westernization bringing down Capcom and Konami lol Even without westernization they were doomed in the start because they don't know how to cater to the audience outside of their small country (again because of insularity). It is why they gave their franchises to Western companies that are by the way not that known for good games. Does Double Helix games even have a good history before Silent Hill Homecoming? And if they still focus on their own country, they're gonna be catering to old people and otakus in the future (population decline in Japan).

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#66 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I hope WiiU shows Iwata that Western 3rd Parties are needed.

Then again WiiU isn't even getting Eastern support either.

SambaLele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SambaLele
Member since 2004 • 5552 Posts

@nintendoboy16 said:

Here's a question brought up by someone in that VGChartz thread: Is SONY biased for the US?

Sony? Sony may be one of the few that are still trying to overlap the eastern and western scenes with their studios (Japan Studio, Team ICO and Project Siren + partnerships with 2nd and 3rd party eastern devs), or at least trying to hold a foot in each market. Though the fact that the Last Guardian went to limbo status, among other signs of a clear preference for western. MS used to try to reach for an eastern appeal as well (partnering with Mistwalker, tri-Ace, Q Entertainment and others), but also opted for a heavy preference towards the western scene. Is this bias as well?

Other than that you have western publishers backing western devs, and eastern publishers backing eastern devs. Why people make it seem like only plaform holders have the $ or means to try and reach for different markets or overlapping them?

I did mention this in the first page of the thread though: it's not a Nintendo issue, it's not a bias issue, it's an industry issue. No one talks about EA, Ubisoft, etc.not making eastern appealing games. This is a question of market and culture barriers. The japanese doesn't understand our market that well; and we westerns don't understand their market that well too. There needs to be interaction up to the development point (like the Kojima + Del Toro SH game), not only in the publishing and financing point, or you're most certainly financing a very, very risky project. @lordlors: completely agree with you.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

@SambaLele said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

Sony? Sony may be one of the few that are still trying to overlap the eastern and western scenes with their studios (Japan Studio, Team ICO and Project Siren + partnerships with 2nd and 3rd party eastern devs), or at least trying to hold a foot in each market. Though the fact that the Last Guardian went to limbo status, among other signs of a clear preference for western. MS used to try to reach for an eastern appeal as well (partnering with Mistwalker, tri-Ace, Q Entertainment and others), but also opted for a heavy preference towards the western scene. Is this bias as well?

Other than that you have western publishers backing western devs, and eastern publishers backing eastern devs. Why people make it seem like only plaform holders have the $ or means to try and reach for different markets or overlapping them?

I did mention this in the first page of the thread though: it's not a Nintendo issue, it's not a bias issue, it's an industry issue. No one talks about EA, Ubisoft, etc.not making eastern appealing games. This is a question of market and culture barriers. The japanese doesn't understand our market that well; and we westerns don't understand their market that well too. There needs to be interaction up to the development point (like the Kojima + Del Toro SH game), not only in the publishing and financing point, or you're most certainly financing a very, very risky project. @lordlors: completely agree with you.

The difference is the Western market is big and has diverse taste. The Japanese market on the other hand is now mobile-centered and is insular (Western games failing to sell well) and due to population decline will have more old people. I don't know but the way I see it, Japan's market is all downhill from here. It's no question they'll become irrelevant if they don't appeal to the Western market.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#69 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

Great article. Well done criticism. But I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing. Its a Japanese company. They cater and support other Japanese first. Big deal. I don't like all that many of their games so they don't get my money as much as the other two.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

not sure really. Nintendo does seem to focus on Japan, which is fine by itself, but as far as I gather they are more focused on the EU aswell over the US? Seems they put out more games there, such as fatal frame 2 for the Wii.

Dunno if it has to do with sales of games and platforms in general or bias. And I doubt I would ever know unless I saw concrete numbers.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#71 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@nintendoboy16: yea, perhaps because it doesn't fit their usual delusional, persecution complex agenda that always goes towards Nintendo's defense and innocence.

Perhaps these thing, y'know, actually happened under Iwata when he became president.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@AzatiS said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

Dude, it's a well written article with facts and evidence to support it's points. You don't have to agree with it but just screaming BULLSHIT doesn't have the same impact.

How? I'm sorry, but have you looked at that thread hard enough? A few users have also provided facts on why some of his points are... just that, BS, even to the point of sourcing them.

Its the butthurt of some sheeps when someone telling his opinion while backing up his claims ... Let him be ! He goes mad mode whoever says something about Nintendo in a bitter fashion ! Typical fanboys

There goes Azatis again. The anti-Nintendo feelings in this guy are insane. Probably the most butthurt person on these boards.

Read my reply once again you butthurt sheep. You see , all i do is answer to your pathetic cries and claims. A decent article and you go into rage mode , then im the butthurt ? You are the butthurt over a constructive article/criticism!! You are telling other consoles are BS , you are telling Wii U is the best , you are telling other consoles have no games or are in pathetic states and you are crying over and over in any kind of constructive criticism.... Whos the butthurt again ?

all i did was to answer to YOUR cries !! Understand what im doing here ? How im the butthurt , for what ? hahaha. You are the ones cried over this article calling it BS ... I found it pretty decent , that guy backed up his points and it had a point overall. You dont have to agree but to go mad mode ? Really ? I will repsond again and again to that kind of fanboyism/rage/respond. Even if it was for Wii U , PS4 or X1. Period

Sheeps you are so funny its getting ridiculous. I can feel your cries all over me .. Calling BS this article and cry over it while calling me butthurt which all i did was respond to a butthurt comment .... Lol ... ok !!! If that makes you feel better im the butthurt !! Ok now , how you feeling , any better? ..... so much rage and cries from sheeps unlike last gen! I wonder why .... So sensitive over every single constructive criticism. Every single one.

PS : As for my anti-Nintendo feelings ... You missed my posts of praising Nintendo decisions and some of their games when they really delivered . Im being fair to all and you know who doesnt like that ? Fanboys. Sensitive over everything. Truth hurts right ? Only if you are a fanboy though , and you people are !!

It is clear by your ridiculously long response who is the one that is crying and butthurt. I normally don't do this, but please work on your grammar. Your responses are sometimes almost incomprehensible.

- "You are telling other consoles are BS , you are telling Wii U is the best , you are telling other consoles have no games or are in pathetic states and you are crying over and over in any kind of constructive criticism.... Whos the butthurt again

At what point in time did you see me say anything about another system? All I did was call out your consistent Nintendo trolling.

"You are the ones cried over this article calling it BS"

Point to the spot in my 3-sentence post that I called the article BS. I'll wait...

"Even if it was for Wii U , PS4 or X1."

You won't. We've seen it. You don't need to lie to yourself. You're a Playstation fanboy.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

But after around 35 years of them making the west hate them it was only a matter of time until they came back around and decided to say screw it. Gamecube timeline was just the beginning.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#74  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19543 Posts

Interesting article, but it's clearly biased against Nintendo. It's not Nintendo that has changed that much, but it's the Western markets that have changed significantly. The Western studios that Nintendo formerly worked with shared a similar game design philosophy to that of Nintendo. Nowadays, it's rare to find Western studios with a Nintendo-style game design philosophy besides indie studios. Nintendo's school of game design (e.g. gameplay-centric, colourful art-style, all-age audiences, etc.) is becoming increasingly rare in the Western "AAA" markets but remains prevalent in Japan.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By AzatiS

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

It is clear by your ridiculously long response who is the one that is crying and butthurt. I normally don't do this, but please work on your grammar. Your responses are sometimes almost incomprehensible.

- "You are telling other consoles are BS , you are telling Wii U is the best , you are telling other consoles have no games or are in pathetic states and you are crying over and over in any kind of constructive criticism.... Whos the butthurt again

At what point in time did you see me say anything about another system? All I did was call out your consistent Nintendo trolling.

Point to the spot in my 3-sentence post that I called the article BS. I'll wait...

You won't. We've seen it. You don't need to lie to yourself. You're a Playstation fanboy.

What long response ?! All i do is responding to " your " pathetic generic claims and statements without any logic behind them.

When i say you , i mean "you sheeps" apparently. " You " , all of you that getting sad/mad/butthurt over my responses to your ridiculous claims while im providing proofs , facts and backing up everything.

So for a sheep to say " PS4/X1 is crap , pathetic , has no games , Wii U is the best "" is solid and valid arguments right ? But when im RESPONDING to those ridiculous craps "you" saying ... im the butthurt , anti-nintendo , troll , hater ... Sure !!

As if im a PS fanboy , go dig my posts of 2006. Back then cows , like you do now , were saying that im a Sony hater , lem , sheep , bastard ...all kind of things.

Conclusion : Truth hurts and you know who hurts most ? Fanboys , thats it.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By hiphops_savior

@Jag85: Should that matter? Nintendo has no problems working with Mistwalker or Monolith. When you have system desperate for games, you'll take what you can get.

The article is calling Into question about Iwatas connections with western developers, or lack there of. Even if design philosophy has changed, the change is already more apparent in Japan if anything else.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#77 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Just something to add:

I want to see Nintendo around for a looooong time. I appreciate that their games are different, but like many have said Japan is moving towards handhelds/mobile devices AND the population is slowly shrinking (elderly will become a sizeable chunk of the pop.).

Maybe Nintendo should go 3rd party, but I still think they have one more console in them. If only that console would take a "back to basics" approach and just play games with a regular controller and maybe stream movies.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

IMO Nintendo's problem is they look at the market as how they want it to be not for what it is. In other words they are not in touch with reality ie the market is in the west as are most of the leading game devs and game types.

Avatar image for REVOLUTIONfreak
REVOLUTIONfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#79 REVOLUTIONfreak
Member since 2005 • 18418 Posts

Hilarious timing for Nintendo to announce a Pokemon partnership with a Japanese third party. Just further proves the point.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 no-scope-AK47

@REVOLUTIONfreak said:

Hilarious timing for Nintendo to announce a Pokemon partnership with a Japanese third party. Just further proves the point.

Nintendo is nothing if not predictable.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@AzatiS said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@locopatho said:

What long response ?! All i do is responding to your pathetic generic claims and statements without any logic behind them.

When i say you , i mean "you sheeps" apparently. " You " , all of you that getting sad/mad/butthurt over my responses to your ridiculous claims while im providing proofs , facts and backing up everything.

So for a sheep to say " PS4/X1 is crap , pathetic , has no games , Wii U is the best "" is solid and valid arguments right ? But when im RESPONDING to those ridiculous craps "you" saying ... im the butthurt , anti-nintendo , troll , hater ... Sure !!

As if im a PS fanboy , go dig my posts of 2006. Back then cows , like you do now , were saying that im a Sony hater , lem , sheep , bastard ...all kind of things.

Point to a single post in this entire thread that claims that PS4 and Xbox One are crap and the Wii U is the best console...There isn't one.

You're right though? You're not a fanboy. You're just a pure hater. Which is actually worse.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@Boddicker said:

Just something to add:

I want to see Nintendo around for a looooong time. I appreciate that their games are different, but like many have said Japan is moving towards handhelds/mobile devices AND the population is slowly shrinking (elderly will become a sizeable chunk of the pop.).

Maybe Nintendo should go 3rd party, but I still think they have one more console in them. If only that console would take a "back to basics" approach and just play games with a regular controller and maybe stream movies.

Many have stated, and I think it is actually an incredibly promising idea, that Nintendo is moving towards a unification process under which both their home console and handheld function under the same operating system. I think if they took this route and concentrated their focus on creating games for one OS instead of two separate platforms they would be much more successful.

They wouldn't need to have teams just focusing on 3DS or Wii U, but the games would be playable on both devices. Their home "console" would be just a beefier version of the device they could easily travel with. The console would have higher specs of course. But this is an idea that could very well work for Nintendo.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

Any Nintendo fan trying to argue against this is pulling a filter over their eyes, ignoring what is actually going on in the world today. The reality is that the center of the gaming world has moved away from Japan. It used to be that Japan created most of the notable games that were accepted worldwide. Japan's developers still make great games, but they have not kept up with technology advances made in the West (which included NA and EU). Also the taste of the Eastern consumer market has hit a fork in the road from where the Western market is going.

Sony and MS have fully recognized this. Nintendo since its regime change has pushed out Western influence while Western influence became more relevant in the gaming world. Nintendo also has huge gaps in the year where there aren't titles that have excitement to them. Nintendo was more in touch with Western markets in a time when that was less important, not to mention other platforms have grown that suit third parties so those devs have also been lost as a whole to Nintendo platforms.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

Didn't Miyamoto work directly with Next Level Games? A Canadian developer? They pretty much at this point claim to be a second party studio. That would be considered a western collaboration, right? Isn't it more likely that maybe both Japanese/Western developers and publishers could do a better job when collaborating and communicating with each other? Rather than thinking automatically that it's all about bias?

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 thedude-

@Wild_man_22 said:

Didn't Miyamoto work directly with Next Level Games? A Canadian developer? They pretty much at this point claim to be a second party studio. That would be considered a western collaboration, right? Isn't it more likely that maybe both Japanese/Western developers and publishers could do a better job when collaborating and communicating with each other? Rather than thinking automatically that it's all about bias?

Its Nintendo's job to get games on Nintendo platforms.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Wild_man_22

@thedude-: I agree. When did i say it wasnt? Isn't the article accusing them of bias? And avoiding western companies? Yet they directly work with some western companies obviously. Isn't it far more likely they just aren't doing a very good job in communicating or capitalizing on certain oppurtunities?

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By AzatiS

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

What long response ?! All i do is responding to your pathetic generic claims and statements without any logic behind them.

Point to a single post in this entire thread that claims that PS4 and Xbox One are crap and the Wii U is the best console...There isn't one.

You're right though? You're not a fanboy. You're just a pure hater. Which is actually worse.

Dont play games with me , you know exactly what im saying ... dont make me come with links to prove you what you already know.

Besides you said " There goes Azatis again. The anti-Nintendo feelings in this guy are insane. Probably the most butthurt person on these boards " out of nowhere just because i criticized a guy called all original topic BS and various other things ... So whos the hater , whos the fanboy !! Read posts and decide.

Cry me a river all i care , at least im backing up everything im saying unlike some of you.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 thedude-

@Wild_man_22 said:

@thedude-: I agree. When did i say it wasnt? Isn't the article accusing them of bias? And avoiding western companies? Yet they directly work with some western companies obviously. Isn't it far more likely they just aren't doing a very good job in communicating or capitalizing on certain oppurtunities?

Citing one case where a second party works out does not disprove an overall bias. Maybe bias is too strong of a word but the overall sentiment of the thread is correct. Nintendo has downsized its relationship with western developers on a massive scale. I would say there is evidence to prove that they are avoiding companies in the West and it is hurting their lineups year after year. They work with NLG on a limited basis and they have downsized Retro games. Not to mention they have them working on a sidescroller when big 3d worlds like MP3 should be their kind of games.

Whatever Nintendo has been doing in relation to western developers, its dead wrong. Nintendo just assumes their fanbase is happy with endless variations of sidescrollers.

Kaze_no_Mirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Kaze_no_Mirai
Member since 2004 • 11763 Posts

Didn't Nintendo try this gen with western publishers? Launching with assassins creed, call of duty, arkham city, mass effect. They really did try. I honestly think the problem is that the games don't sell on their platforms and because of that third parties refuse to launch on their platforms. So as a result they slowly start to care less about the games showing up. Not to mention some developers seems to hate them or just dislike them. I recall quite a few times that there articles of people in the industry making fun of Nintendo and their hardware. There's no way that Nintendo would be able to secure a western exclusive like starcraft, now now. People may say "but Bayonetta and devils third" yeah those where projects that apparently no one wanted and were borderline dead not a huge game that the other two would want on their platform.

Either way, with all that being said I'm sure Nintendo is partly to blame. But the western publishers have a lot to do with it. I can't say anything about their personal investments on western studios since they do seem rather limited but they still pump out fantastic games. Even if they don't do western focused titles. I don't see them as western studios under Nintendo but a part of Nintendo in the west working on what Nintendo works on, which are Nintendo games.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I've posted this before, but it always needs to be seen.

From 1990-2000. Nintendo of America had production and management autonomy from Japan. NOA basically culminated its own production team, along a few co-designers, and started funding and producing games with developers.

• DMA Design: Uni Racers, Body Harvest (Nintendo dropped it in 1997, Midway took it)
  • Angel Studios: Ken Griffey Baseball, Buggie Boogie
  • Bits Studios: Warlocked, Riqa (canceled)
  • Rare: Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark
  • Software Creations: Ken Griffey Baseball, Tin Star
  • Silicon Knights: Eternal Darkness (N64 version)
  • Left Field Productions: Kobey Bryant in NBA Courtside, Excitebike 64
  • Looking Glass Studio: Mini Racers (canceled)
  • Mass Media: Star Craft 64
  • H20: Tetrisphere
  • Saffire Corp: Nester's Funky Bowling, James Bond 007
  • Midway: Cruisn Series

Nintendo of America also procured the Ken Griffey and MLBPA license, NHL License, Kobe Bryant and NBA license, PGA license, Disney license, James Bond license, StarCraft license. Star Wars Episode I license. They were producing their own first-party games separate from Nintendo of Japan. That all changed when Iwata transitioned from Global Marketing Chief to President. NOA Production was killed, and Nintendo of Japan's SPD Department took over all Western development (Star Fox Adventures, Geist, Eternal Darkness GC).

Henry Sterchi, Brian Ullrich, Ken Lobb, Ed Ridgeway, Jeff Hutt, Faran Thomason, and the whole crew left NOA to Microsoft and other developers. Since then, we've seen the Western model we have today. Western developers reporting directly to Japanese management, and pretty much making B/C sequels to Nintendo IPs.

All those studios dismantled, licenses lost. Good thing that Iwata is a game designer and isn't just some business suit who actually cares for the morale of his company so he won't lay anyone off. Or maybe that only applies to his own people and where he has to work.

I don't understand why Iwata would gut NoA in such a way. Was it to save money? Why amputate one entire arm dealing with a segment of you international market when you're an international company? Or possibly, due to putting a former game designer in the seat of a CEO, you're taking someone with a very focused and inherent bias in what they deem important in their work and in doing so you're risking putting that designer's philosophies at great odds with other territories who hold their own philosophies and as he has the power and decides to shut them down. Maybe putting Iwata who has been so intimate in relation to a game's creation working his way up through to where he is is now was a error in judgement.

Whereas Yamauchi could be able to keep his biases in check by not being a gamer and recognize the stark cultural differences and their need to be individually left to their own devices by granting NoA and NoE some real freedom. Not to mention, back in the day, a Western (Howard Lincoln) was actually on NoJ BoDs......that hard driving ass no doubt giving valuable information, insight, and perspective into a market Nintendo was otherwise clueless in. Not today, where it's solely Japanese.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321

@AzatiS said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

Dont play games with me , you know exactly what im saying ... dont make me come with links to prove you what you already know.

Besides you said " There goes Azatis again. The anti-Nintendo feelings in this guy are insane. Probably the most butthurt person on these boards " out of nowhere just because i criticized a guy called all original topic BS and various other things ... So whos the hater , whos the fanboy !! Read posts and decide.

Cry me a river all i care , at least im backing up everything im saying unlike some of you.

My point stands and you look more foolish by the second. There is not a single post in this thread that refers to X1 and PS4, yet here you come...the Anti Nintendo Avenger. And you look like an idiot every time.

Why would you need to link to anything. I'm talking about this thread. You're talking nonsense.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Wild_man_22

@thedude- said:

@Wild_man_22 said:

Citing one case where a second party works out does not disprove an overall bias. Maybe bias is too strong of a word but the overall sentiment of the thread is correct. Nintendo has downsized its relationship with western developers on a massive scale. I would say there is evidence to prove that they are avoiding companies in the West and it is hurting their lineups year after year. They work with NLG on a limited basis and they have downsized Retro games. Not to mention they have them working on a sidescroller when big 3d worlds like MP3 should be their kind of games.

Whatever Nintendo has been doing in relation to western developers, its dead wrong. Nintendo just assumes their fanbase is happy with endless variations of sidescrollers.

I wouldn't really say that 4 games across 3 platforms is limited, with a Wii-U game confirmed to be in development as well. When did they downsize Retro? Didn't Reggie say just last year that he thinks they are big enough to be working on more than one project? I'm going to avoid the arguments of what Retro studios ''should'' make.

I agree though, clearly they need to start making a better effort in working with western developers. We've already seen some cool collaborations recently with third parties. Things like Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Fighters, and SMTXFE are pretty awesome ideas. Hopefully they have more in the pipeline with some western companies.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 no-scope-AK47

All the people claiming Nintendo is not biased against western devs are smoking some new shit. If this was a bias case in a court of law Nintendo would be convicted or have to settle. Fact is Nintendo is a Japanese company and it is tightly controlled by Japan.

Sony is Japanese company with great 1st party games. Yet they seem to go out of their way to bring 3rd party games to their console. This IMO makes the Playstation brand strong and gives me a sense of comfort when I buy a Sony console. This confidence in the brand is what drives ps4 sales. With the ps4 I know I will be getting the highest quality console gaming with the most games across a wide category of games for many years to come.

The lack of confidence in the Nintendo brand is what is killing the wii u. The brand is stale and the wii u is only 100 bucks cheaper than a ps4. It's a shame really I grew up on Nintendo but as I changed Nintendo remained the same. Clearly NOJ is out of touch with the current console market and it shows in their console. Unless the leadership changes I fear Nintendo will have to leave the console market. Nintendo has a great history and it should be respected however they will be history if they don't step their game up.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By AzatiS

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

My point stands and you look more foolish by the second. There is not a single post in this thread that refers to X1 and PS4, yet here you come...the Anti Nintendo Avenger. And you look like an idiot every time.

Why would you need to link to anything. I'm talking about this thread. You're talking nonsense.

Im backing up everything im saying. All i do is respond to "your" pathetic claimings while you backing up nothing. You came here ,attack me among others for no reason. Ill speak the truth and what is right again and agian in your face as blantly as ever . Live with it or block me. Its that easy really. You know exactly what im saying here and you cant come up with anything better than generic craps just to annoy me !! Typical sheep thats for sure.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 thedude-

@Wild_man_22 said:

@thedude- said:

@Wild_man_22 said:

I wouldn't really say that 4 games across 3 platforms is limited, with a Wii-U game confirmed to be in development as well. When did they downsize Retro? Didn't Reggie say just last year that he thinks they are big enough to be working on more than one project? I'm going to avoid the arguments of what Retro studios ''should'' make.

I agree though, clearly they need to start making a better effort in working with western developers. We've already seen some cool collaborations recently with third parties. Things like Hyrule Warriors, Pokken Fighters, and SMTXFE are pretty awesome ideas. Hopefully they have more in the pipeline with some western companies.

Somewhere around MP1 and 2 they did. There are many indications that they were made smaller and most importantly key members left, which generally happens when they are unhappy. If they are increasing their team size that is awesome, I haven't seen anything of it. I can think of so many good devs with a solid history in sidescrolling. I know Retro Studios could really benefit from doing their own IP or something more multilayered like Star Fox.

I am happy that Nintendo is creating bridges recently and I want to see more of that, specifically from Western developers. Its a worldwide market that needs more creative minds from other parts of the world. We really don't need to see much from third parties from Nintendo platforms. Nintendo collaborations with other companies could bring Nintendo into a new era.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 sHaDyCuBe321

@AzatiS said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AzatiS said:

Im backing up everything im saying. All i do is respond to "your" pathetic claimings while you backing up nothing. You came here ,attack me among others for no reason. Ill speak the truth and what is right again and agian in your face as blantly as ever . Live with it or block me. Its that easy really. You know exactly what im saying here and you cant come up with anything better than generic craps just to annoy me !! Typical sheep thats for sure.

"All i do is respond to "your" pathetic claimings while you backing up nothing"

What pathetic claim am i making? This is what I'm talking about. You're babbling about nothing.

"You came here ,attack me among others for no reason."

I attacked others? Again false claims. I "attacked" you because I'm calling you out on your senseless bashing and fanboyism.

"You know exactly what im saying here"

Honestly, your post are often times incomprehensible.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Kjranu: Nintendo was always an "East" company. What has changed is the development of high-profile video games has shifted from East to West. Back in "the day (NES/SNES days)", Konami, Sega, Capcom, Nintendo, SquareSoft, Activision, and Enix were the big development studios/publishers. Only Activision was from the West. EA, Blizzard, and Ubisoft were in their infancy; and most of the powerhouse western studios today weren't even around yet.