Is MS responsible for Titanfall 2's demise?

• 114 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

If they hadn't secured exclusivity for the original Titanfall, PlayStation fans would have been better acquainted with the series and thus it would have done better sales-wise. Sure, EA released it at a bad time too, but it's hard to introduce a new series in the middle of the holidays. Am I rite on this one, SW? Let us know your thoughts.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

Who's to say that Microsoft secured exclusivity? Who's to say they were not approached and brokered some kind of deal?

This is getting really old.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

No, EA's ridiculous idea of releasing two blockbuster multiplayer FPS games within a couple weeks of each other is.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@dynamitecop: Its a pretty well known fact that MS handed over a huge chunk of money to EA for titanfall to be an Xbox exclusive, and that it was done without respawn knowing until the deal was done.

What surprises me is after leaving (being fired) from Activision they would pick EA to partner with?!?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Your speculation astounds me, but i'd rather chalk it up to releasing in the same window as BF1... BF1.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dynamitecop

@vfighter said:

@dynamitecop: Its a pretty well known fact that MS handed over a huge chunk of money to EA for titanfall to be an Xbox exclusive, and that it was done without respawn knowing until the deal was done.

What surprises me is after leaving (being fired) from Activision they would pick EA to partner with?!?

You got a source for that, because "It's a pretty well known fact" that I don't seem to be aware of.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

What you just said actually implies that Sony fans are responsible for TF2's demise. The fact is, TF2 is not selling well because Respawn constantly shot themselves in the foot, the bad release window and they made a worse game than the first.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dynamitecop

@SolidGame_basic said:

If they hadn't secured exclusivity for the original Titanfall, PlayStation fans would have been better acquainted with the series and thus it would have done better sales-wise. Sure, EA released it at a bad time too, but it's hard to introduce a new series in the middle of the holidays. Am I rite on this one, SW? Let us know your thoughts.

I'd like to point out another thing since hyperbole seems to be the common tone of this shit hole forum, since being a PlayStation 4 owner seems to be synonymous with being a PC gamer according to cows around here, wouldn't they all have already played the first game on PC?

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#10 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

No dumbing it down for PS4 is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

I think that people are just sick and tired of all of the futuristic shooters that have dominated the market in recent years.

I've read that the new Call of Duty game that continues the futuristic trend is selling poorly as well. Meanwhile, the new Battlefield game which has a World War 1 setting is selling very well and exceeding expectations. I think the message is clear, futuristic shooters have been overdone in recent years and people are now sick and tired of them and want to see a return of historical settings in shooters.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

Beta was awful, wasn't Titanfall story over

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts

No the first game didn't have enough content this one IDC about because BF1 taking all my time as of right now.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#14 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Just ignore the fact that EA released it very close to Battlefield 1, which made it fly under the radar.

If anything EA killed TF2

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

What you just said actually implies that Sony fans are responsible for TF2's demise. The fact is, TF2 is not selling well because Respawn constantly shot themselves in the foot, the bad release window and they made a worse game than the first.

How is it worse? The campaign is being praised as almost GOAT level and the MP may not play exactly the same as the original, but it is still being rated the best of 2016 by many.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@dynamitecop: We did, according to you it's called the X1. Remember, X1 and PC are the same, hahaha. Lems logic.

vvulturas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 vvulturas
Member since 2015 • 1249 Posts

The game is excellent. But EA is at fault for the shitty launch, by packing it between the two biggest shooters in gaming history. I don't think I've seen more than 80k online at a time on PC...

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224

@StrongBlackVine: it's actually not a good campaign. It has a handful of really great moments but for the most part it's a bad COD campaign with some basic platforming. The games press is just fickle and stupid. The story and characters are abysmal and it has the worst AI I've seen in a shooter in years.

The multiplayer is a huge step backwards in pretty much every aspect. From the pandering to the COD crowd with a shorter TTK and 3 lane map designs to removing all the customization from the Titans and scaling back the AI in attrition and removing it from hard point. Then there is the awful rodeo and battery system that makes 2 of the 6 Titans unusable. Not to mention the awful third person animations and completely unbalanced guns and Titans. TF2's multiplayer is a mess and it's very clear that Respawn has no idea what made the first game work.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 StrongBlackVine

@mems_1224 said:

@StrongBlackVine: it's actually not a good campaign. It has a handful of really great moments but for the most part it's a bad COD campaign with some basic platforming. The games press is just fickle and stupid. The story and characters are abysmal and it has the worst AI I've seen in a shooter in years.

The multiplayer is a huge step backwards in pretty much every aspect. From the pandering to the COD crowd with a shorter TTK and 3 lane map designs to removing all the customization from the Titans and scaling back the AI in attrition and removing it from hard point. Then there is the awful rodeo and battery system that makes 2 of the 6 Titans unusable. Not to mention the awful third person animations and completely unbalanced guns and Titans. TF2's multiplayer is a mess and it's very clear that Respawn has no idea what made the first game work.

Damn. I've been really on the fence about Titanfall 2, but I was willing to give it shot because of all the praise for the campaign. I might just stick with Overwatch and BF1 for now.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

2 of my homies bought it so today, love it so far.

word of mouth is gonna make money for this game.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

No EA sabotage its own game.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

EA and MS are at fault here, EA more though.

EA is at fault for striking that stupid deal with MS for the first Titanfall. I felt if they hadn't struck that deal Titanfall would have been a bigger franchise than it was with the first game. You don't strike an almost exclusive third party deal with a console that is millions behind and as toxic as Xbone was. They also failed because they released it at a bad time. They started believing their own hype and that Titanfall was bigger than it actually was, and made the idiotic decision to release it between Battlefield and COD. Even a diminished COD game will still sell millions more than a decent BF game much less Titanfall. Titanfall was sent out to die because of EA's arrogance. What's MS role in this? See EA's first mistake, taking money from MS for the first Titanfall and limiting the reach of the franchise at its launch. I know a lot of my casual dudebro Playstation buddies that would have liked the original TF had it released on PS4 who didn't even care to download the beta for TF2 because they still thought TF2 was still exclusive to Xbone.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mems_1224

@StrongBlackVine: it's good for a rental or buying super cheap but I definitely regret blowing $60 on it. There are some genuinely great jaw dropping moments in the campaign and one really good level but it's only like 4 hours long and most of that is just mowing down mindless enemies. There are weapons and kits for the Titan in the campaign that were also in the first game that aren't in the multiplayer in the 2nd game. Idk how the **** that happens.

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StrongBlackVine

@mems_1224 said:

@StrongBlackVine: it's good for a rental or buying super cheap but I definitely regret blowing $60 on it. There are some genuinely great jaw dropping moments in the campaign and one really good level but it's only like 4 hours long and most of that is just mowing down mindless enemies. There are weapons and kits for the Titan in the campaign that were also in the first game that aren't in the multiplayer in the 2nd game. Idk how the **** that happens.

It will be on sale for $27 Wednesday so I figured it was worth a try for that price. It may still be.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:
@mems_1224 said:

How is it worse? The campaign is being praised as almost GOAT level and the MP may not play exactly the same as the original, but it is still being rated the best of 2016 by many.

the campaign is good, but hardly anything transcendent or special, it's typical gaming media shit. And the mp from the people who actually played the first game has had aspects that are divisive. It's still a good game, but it's not a shocker that a lot of the Titanfall 2 gaf thread has a string of posts complaining about one change or another, or especially the fucking map design. That said it doing worse has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

It's pretty straight forward the game is releasing between Battlefield and Call of Duty, it was fucked.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

TF2 is great, there is no demise....they added a great campaign and the MP is improved and they did away with season passes. The release date is what hurt the sales.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

The great Chicago fire was MS' fault also.

This is a ridiculous thread.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

What?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

If I were Respawn, I'd be running and screaming to the nearest publisher that won't do this. They own the IP, so they can do that.

What's also funny is the fact that Infinite Warfare is selling way better than Titanfall 2!

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@mems_1224 said:

the campaign is good, but hardly anything transcendent or special, it's typical gaming media shit. And the mp from the people who actually played the first game has had aspects that are divisive. It's still a good game, but it's not a shocker that a lot of the Titanfall 2 gaf thread has a string of posts complaining about one change or another, or especially the fucking map design. That said it doing worse has nothing to do with the quality of the game.

It's pretty straight forward the game is releasing between Battlefield and Call of Duty, it was fucked.

Yeah, I recently purchased it, and the map design is just atrocious. A couple are passable, but most of them are awful; no rhyme or reason to them, and some of them have these claustrophobic tunnels where Titan play is just annoying.

The campaign was decent, but nothing exemplary, as you say.

I actually refunded it after playing it for a bit. Wasn't worth the 34 dollars I paid.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Bad release window for it and got smashed

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StrongBlackVine

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@jg4xchamp said:
@StrongBlackVine said:
@mems_1224 said:

Yeah, I recently purchased it, and the map design is just atrocious. A couple are passable, but most of them are awful; no rhyme or reason to them, and some of them have these claustrophobic tunnels where Titan play is just annoying.

The campaign was decent, but nothing exemplary, as you say.

I actually refunded it after playing it for a bit. Wasn't worth the 34 dollars I paid.

If it wasn't worth $34 to you then it probably isn't worth $27 to me.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 jg4xchamp

@StrongBlackVine: might want to rethink that; ask dragon fire his thoughts on uncharted lol

StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StrongBlackVine

@jg4xchamp said:

@StrongBlackVine: might want to rethink that; ask dragon fire his thoughts on uncharted lol

I was really looking at his comments about the MP. I'm not a huge MP guy and I'm already in for Overwatch and BF1. Mems comment about the TTK was something I already had pegged as a negative as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

Shouldn't it have done better than the first regardless of the PS4?

I mean, I'm not denying the PS4 is where games go to die, but both PC and Xbox fans were already introduced to Titanfall 1, and the sequel is selling poorly on both those systems too.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jg4xchamp

@StrongBlackVine said:
@jg4xchamp said:

I was really looking at his comments about the MP. I'm not a huge MP guy and I'm already in for Overwatch and BF1. Mems comment about the TTK was something I already had pegged as a negative as well.

Oh yeah, Overwatch and BF1 are both better. Titanfall 2 never really fixes the problems people had with Titanfall 1 (the content and depth of gameplay necessarily), and instead created new ones. Makes sense in a better release schedule, but during the holiday season? And between the two extremely popular multiplayer games? EA should have had more faith in BF1's ability to do well against CoD, without titanfall2 cutting into that audience.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I started playing the campaign last night, so far I'm enjoying it. Let's wait until the end of January to know how good it did. The holiday season will be over and the first quarterly report of its sales performance over the quarter should be available.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

Uh no... it's EA's fault.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

that was one reason.

here are all of them:

1. making the first one pc and xbox exclusive. this pissed off sony fans.

2. going console multiplat. yes i said it. might have sold the same as the first one if it stayed x1/pc. who knows.

3. making stupid fanboy console war tweets before the game realeased. this pissed of xbox fans. aside from the multiplat thing.

4. removing the game from EA access. why? pisses some people off.

5. releasing the game a week after BF1 and a week before call of duty. It's like competing against yourself.

KEND0_KAP0NI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 KEND0_KAP0NI
Member since 2016 • 1231 Posts

BF1 took the spotlight....

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

While Microsoft was aggressive at approaching Respawn for Titanfall early on, Sony was pushing them away when they approached. The message Sony sent to Respawn was that they were not ready to talk about it, although they did have ideas, such as bringing the game to the Vita. There was a point where they had told Sony that the situation would be ‘locked in behind the scenes’, but Sony once again did not respond.

At a certain point, Respawn (Zampella and West at this point) explained to EA’s John Riccitiello that they had run out of funding. They had just enough staff to bring the game to Xbox One and PC, and even then they had to delay the game and cut single player. EA did the work of shuffling around for funding, and finally found it in Microsoft. As a result, Titanfall became a Microsoft exclusive.

It needs to be emphasized here that at the final hour, it was Microsoft that saved the project. We also know that since then, EA and Respawn plan to open up future Titanfall games to more platforms. If Microsoft had not stepped up to the plate, though, the game would have not even been made

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By dynamitecop

@spitfire-six said:

While Microsoft was aggressive at approaching Respawn for Titanfall early on, Sony was pushing them away when they approached. The message Sony sent to Respawn was that they were not ready to talk about it, although they did have ideas, such as bringing the game to the Vita. There was a point where they had told Sony that the situation would be ‘locked in behind the scenes’, but Sony once again did not respond.

At a certain point, Respawn (Zampella and West at this point) explained to EA’s John Riccitiello that they had run out of funding. They had just enough staff to bring the game to Xbox One and PC, and even then they had to delay the game and cut single player. EA did the work of shuffling around for funding, and finally found it in Microsoft. As a result, Titanfall became a Microsoft exclusive.

It needs to be emphasized here that at the final hour, it was Microsoft that saved the project. We also know that since then, EA and Respawn plan to open up future Titanfall games to more platforms. If Microsoft had not stepped up to the plate, though, the game would have not even been made

Exactly as I thought, this is the same case for Remedy regarding Alan Wake and Quantum Break, they came to Microsoft and Microsoft supplied the funding for them to create their games.

I'm so sick of people painting them in such a negative light when they're actually a pretty decent company. They **** up like everyone else, but are very good at setting things straight when they do, they always have been. What I have problems with are the egregious lies and misinformation people spread around here, the below for example, which mind you he never responded back because he's a degenerate liar like so many other cows around here, they have absolutely no integrity of any kind.

I don't defend Microsoft because they're saints or because I have some gross inclination to fanboy for them, I defend them because shit like this is an absurdly common occurrence. They're already the underdog in this market and you can't even go after them for justified reasons? You have to lie and make shit up because you can't create a negative narrative without doing so? I mean seriously, **** you, you're pathetic assholes.

@dynamitecop said:
@vfighter said:

You got a source for that, because "It's a pretty well known fact" that I don't seem to be aware of.

Like, are you actually okay with saying bullshit like this? Just lying straight through your teeth and misinforming the community...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c18005f903a1
deactivated-5c18005f903a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5c18005f903a1
Member since 2016 • 4626 Posts

It's gamers fault for not buying enough games!

Shame on you all!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46278 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

No, EA's ridiculous idea of releasing two blockbuster multiplayer FPS games within a couple weeks of each other is.

I couldn't be happier with Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2

So, thanks EA !

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@foxhound_fox said:

I couldn't be happier with Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2

So, thanks EA !

Far better choice than picking BF1+Infinite War

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

@quadknight said:

EA and MS are at fault here, EA more though.

EA is at fault for striking that stupid deal with MS for the first Titanfall. I felt if they hadn't struck that deal Titanfall would have been a bigger franchise than it was with the first game. You don't strike an almost exclusive third party deal with a console that is millions behind and as toxic as Xbone was.

You do know the deal was made before either console was even on the market right?

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

SMFH yeah MS killed it or common sense would tell you not to release a title like Titanfall 2 when Battlefield 1 and Call of Duty Infinite Warfare are right about the same week. People in system wars love to demonize MS do death if they can. SMH

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

MS are specialists at killing franchises and studios. RIP Rare, RIP Lionhead, RIP Press Play, RIP FASA, RIP Digital Anvil, RIP Ensemble Studios. The Gamers Have Been Owned :(. Thanks MS.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

So now MS is at fault for EA's dumb decision to sandwich the game in between Battlefield and COD?

LMAO

What is wrong with you'll gamers nowadays?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#50 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I think the release date was just awful. It's such a big issue that all the other considerations one might have about its failure are made irrelevant.

But why blame MS when EA is the publisher?