Is Microsoft's new pro-PC gaming stance because of SteamOS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kjranu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kjranu
Member since 2012 • 1802 Posts

I think after a very long time Microsoft finally have real competition in the PC gaming space : Valve and SteamOS. It's something that has potential to seriously damage Windows traditional dominance in gaming and programming. A two-pronged attack essentially. SteamOS is also giving Linux a second wind of sorts with a massive amount of mainstream PC games being ported over to Linux/Steam OS. It's a wake up call for Microsoft. I believe it is the reasoning used by the high ups at Microsoft to finally get behind PC gaming for once rather than treated as second fiddle to Xbox.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Maybe, they know if the next opengl is actually decent and devs start to use it and with the support of valve and steam they could lose a lot of ground, microsoft never tried to properly support pc because they knew people didn't have an alternative to directx, but if the next opengl can compete with directx12 (which is another reason why they actually made a decent directx this time) that could start to change, still that just me hoping, i doubt opengl will be as good, it has always been a step or two behind directx.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

It's partly the reason why online would be free on the PC. There was no chance they would be able to compete with a paid subscription.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Bit bemused as to this pro-pc gaming stance.

So far, the big pc focus was basically about using windows as a Trojan horse for Xbox. Everything was directed at Xbox promotion and not an ounce of it towards actual pc gaming.

Even DirectX is being primarily promoted for Xbox.

Yet: a sect of pc gamers seem to be running around jumping for joy. Very odd.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@bldgirsh said:

It's partly the reason why online would be free on the PC. There was no chance they would be able to compete with a paid subscription.

Didn't they already try that with the original Games For Windows Live? It was predictably a failure so they dropped it.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

I don't buy it. With Valve and SteamOS, there's a lot of 'on paper' theory about what could or should happen. But the only thing that could make it a success is not what developers or manufacturers could do, but whether the general public adopts it in a large enough manner to make it a threat. I don't see anyone outside of a niche crowd going for SteamOS.

I certainly don't think SteamMachines will be a big deal. Having powerful hardware for a SteamMachine is just too expensive, to be dedicated purely for gaming. That's why consoles have a limit as to how much the general public are willing to spend on the hardware, because generally, no one is going to spend that much just for gaming.

@Krelian-co said:

Maybe, they know if the next opengl is actually decent and devs start to use it and with the support of valve and steam they could lose a lot of ground, microsoft never tried to properly support pc because they knew people didn't have an alternative to directx, but if the next opengl can compete with directx12 (which is another reason why they actually made a decent directx this time) that could start to change, still that just me hoping, i doubt opengl will be as good, it has always been a step or two behind directx.

They've always had an alternative. OpenGL has been very good for quite a while, I've heard some developers say it has been better. But they go where the users are. Developers haven't been putting up with DirectX for their health all this time.

Even if OpenGL could compete or better DX12. It wouldn't be enough. In the past, with anything, if people are happy with whatever, to a standard and it's popular, they won't move on to something else, even if it could be arguably better.

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

@Postosuchus: Yup. They thought they could've competed with steam but ultimately failed.

EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

MS has been working on this for years so I doubt W10 is a reaction to Steam OS. Of course Steam OS probably Lit a Fire under MS's ass.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

What pro-PC gaming stance ?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Using pc as a means to advertize Xbox.

*shrug*

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61473 Posts

Possibly... Though SteamOS is a while away from being your only viable PC gaming avenue. Valve will push it hard mind you.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Until SteamOS supports word processing, Photoshop and other non-gaming related activities, it won't ever intrude on the Windows market.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46188 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Using pc as a means to advertize Xbox.

*shrug*

Their pro PC gaming stance:

Hey, PC gamers, we give you Fable Legends, but if you want any interesting games like Forza or Quantum Break you better get an Xbox One.

Or even better:

Hey, PC gamers, we just gave Square Enix a bunch of money so they'll delay the PC version of Rise of The Tomb Raider.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

microsoft is facing a war on many fronts. chromebooks were taking a bite out of the cheap pc market. windows 8 tablets were too expensive so android schooled them. Now steam os gives people less reason to buy windows at all.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17809 Posts

@foxhound_fox: personaly i dont think i will ever use steam OS. i will just use a linux distro with steam (and whatever other services). a lot more options open to the user that way.

12Danny123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By 12Danny123
Member since 2014 • 110 Posts

@osirisx3