Is Microsoft doing a good job promoting the Xbox One?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

andfx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Microsoft doing a good job promoting the Xbox One? (40 votes)

Yes - I see advertisements/promotions all the time 28%
No - I've seen few, if any, promotions 48%
No, but they don't need to 8%
Undecided - We'll see come November 18%

Is it me or is Microsoft dropping the ball when it comes to promoting their next gen console?

We all know the company spares no cost in research and development (controller redesign costs, etc.) and infrastructure (cloud servers, etc.), but all that may go down the drain because consumers are being slowly but surely won over by Sony's entertaining PS4 commercials. Does MS not have any more money in their budget for advertising? I, for one, cannot recall an Xbox One advertisement and it makes me think: Had I not had an Xbox 360, would I be leaning on the side of Sony? I do not see Microsoft trying to win over new consumers or convince people to fork over the extra $100!

Whether or not Sony's advertising campaign is successful remains to be seen, but at least they're trying. What do YOU think? (UncleSam.jpg)

• 
Cpt_Chaplin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1 Cpt_Chaplin
Member since 2012 • 94 Posts

Haven't seen any.

Then again, it's not releasing here this year.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

I have yet to see one commercial on tv

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

Other than the crappy XB1 NFL ad that I saw once on TV I haven't seen any XB1 ads. I've seen a lot of the "Perfect Day" and Taco Bell PS4 ads while watching TV though.

Kats_RK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kats_RK
Member since 2010 • 2080 Posts

@Chutebox said:

I have yet to see one commercial on tv

Same.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

ya, They have tour spots across nations

They changed all their SO called "anti customer" things for cry babies

They have ads in game stores and facebook about getting the facts to people that's feeding off of June data

Very sone they be having ads on t.v Just like cows tacobell ads...

taco bell is luring all the cows in to slaughter them~~HEHE just thought of that,

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6  Edited By Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

I've seen this ad on ESPN MNF, but that's it.

No street ads, no other commercials.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

Haven't seen any major ads yet, but I'm sure we'll see something before the end of this month. They already kicked off their world tour, so that's a good start. Commercials will start flooding television and ads a few weeks before launch. Probably the beginning of Nov.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

Haven't seen anything..

DJChuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 DJChuy
Member since 2010 • 1851 Posts

I've only seen one TV ad which was yesterday during the Walking Dead, but I have seen some ads for it at the movies, before they start showing the movie previews. But yeah, I expected a lot more from Microsoft.

KellyKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 KellyKelly
Member since 2013 • 386 Posts

Haven't seen any commercials on tv or anything, there is no hype whatsoever for that console

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

considering where they were after their reveal and E3 I think they're doing good so far

andfx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 andfx8
Member since 2010 • 590 Posts

@k2theswiss: Cool, thanks for the info.

@blackace: They better!

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#13 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

Don't have TV so no idea.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Yes there doing a good job imos.

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

if theres one thing m$ is good at, its marketing and advertising, hell, they were able to sell a faulty console with few exclusive games, ofcourse with the help of justin beiber

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

in the uk i've seen no ad's what so ever for any of the consoles to be honest.

i must admit alot of the major stores here like asda, xbox one is advertised alot more than the ps4 but that may just be my shop, but i think they don't need to advertise the fact is all pre orders have sold out day1, so they don't need to advertise due to demand being so high they will advertise more near christmas and have a campaign in the new year to drive up sales.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@bezza2011 said:

i must admit alot of the major stores here like asda, xbox one is advertised alot more than the ps4 but that may just be my shop, but i think they don't need to advertise the fact is all pre orders have sold out day1, so they don't need to advertise due to demand being so high they will advertise more near christmas and have a campaign in the new year to drive up sales.

Its actually similar in my town also (south east coast) X1 is seeing a lot more visible advertising in pretty much every store.

Whats interesting is HMV's on shelf advertising of the two products side by side. The X1's feature list is substantially longer than that of the PS4. The higher tech specs just dont translate well to the advertisingon the PS4 presumably because until we see some actual gameplay they are meaningless in the eyes of the "average" consumer, but I was surprised they were not included.

Again could just be in my local store not nationally.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@always_explicit said:

@bezza2011 said:

Its actually similar in my town also (south east coast) X1 is seeing a lot more visible advertising in pretty much every store.

Whats interesting is HMV's on shelf advertising of the two products side by side. The X1's feature list is substantially longer than that of the PS4. The higher tech specs just dont translate well to the advertisingon the PS4 presumably because until we see some actual gameplay they are meaningless in the eyes of the "average" consumer, but I was surprised they were not included.

Yes I've seen this in my local HMV as well, there also seems to be a lot more space dedicated to the Xbox One while the PS4 shelf advertising just looks like a bit of a mess, and almost like an afterthought. I'd say the average consumer would definitely be more attracted to looking at the Xbox One than the PS4 judging by the advertising, and even in my local GAME store there seems to be more focus on promoting the Xbox One than PS4!

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#19 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Yes. See it everywhere but they aren't good ads. Less about gaming and more about TV from what I've seen. The only gaming related ad I've seen is Forza 5, and that was in theaters. They tried to show off the power of the Xbox One.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
deactivated-5c79c3cfce222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5c79c3cfce222
Member since 2009 • 4715 Posts

EAT SHIT AND DIE! EAT SHIT AND DIE! EAT SSSSSHIT! AND DIE!

Sorry we told you to eat shit and die earlier. Although we still believe in the idea, we were too aggressive and our timing was poor. But you know...maybe just a lil munch? A lil munch on the doodoo? Sports, sports, TV (US only), delay. Here, have a headset!

I mean, they've been doing better at it, but you know, no, not particularly good at it from my point of view.

Oh you're talking about actual advertisements and such. I wouldn't know. Haven't seen anything on the internet. All I know about is that Gamestop thing where they're telling you things you won't be forced to do.

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

For TV, I think Sony is doing a better job. The only broadcast TV I watch is ports and I see way more PS4 ads (not even advertising games, just straight PS4) than pure X1 ads, of which I've seen none.. Plus the Taco Bell one runs all the time. The only X1 stuff I can think of is seeing the logo at the end of Call of Duty commercials.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#22 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@lamprey263 said:

considering where they were after their reveal and E3 I think they're doing good so far

Agreed. Main example is the Microsoft store, two Gamestops, and Walmart are all pre ordered out around Ft. Sill. Cant be the only place its not available anymore.

andfx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By andfx8

Hmmmm, I guess I haven't been in many game/electronics stores lately, it seems like most of you are saying the in-store advertising is what MS is currently focusing on. I'd just like to see some TV ads, where I would assume most of the casual gamers are easily reached.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

I dont ever see ads, I have not watched TV in over a year and I have adblock so no ads on the web either. As for instore ads I dont even see those because I am on a campus and the last time I been to any store with games was to get GTAV

andfx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 andfx8

@redskins26rocs said:

I dont ever see ads, I have not watched TV in over a year and I have adblock so no ads on the web either. As for instore ads I dont even see those because I am on a campus and the last time I been to any store with games was to get GTAV

Impervious to advertising I see!

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

they're doing a terrible job since i haven't seen a single ad about the xbox one. Meanwhile sony has a huge promotion with tacobell that airs constantly.

andfx8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 andfx8

Welp, here we go!

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/25/5027480/xbox-one-advert-uk-microsoft-vision

I think this will only be for the UK, but I doubt it will change too much for the US/Canada.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
deactivated-5afcc99c5544f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5afcc99c5544f
Member since 2012 • 1917 Posts

I saw the Invitation trailer twice during Jimmy Fallon and the Dead Rising 3 "Happy Together" commercial once. I'd say they're doing good.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

Ask this again in about 10 days. The answer will be yes. They have the money and the top advertising companies. It will come.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

@I-AM-N00B said:

@always_explicit said:

@bezza2011 said:

Yes I've seen this in my local HMV as well, there also seems to be a lot more space dedicated to the Xbox One while the PS4 shelf advertising just looks like a bit of a mess, and almost like an afterthought. I'd say the average consumer would definitely be more attracted to looking at the Xbox One than the PS4 judging by the advertising, and even in my local GAME store there seems to be more focus on promoting the Xbox One than PS4!

I thought i was the only one who has been noticing the bias for a while now, it is no suprise because i later found out that Microsoft has deals with the retail stores here in the UK, hence why they dedicate more in store advert for the Xbox brand in comparison to the PS4. Like in Game Cambridge for example, once you enter the store, you would find all the major blockbuster games with big posters on the Xbox side, even close to the middle section of the store, in comparison, the PS4 has like a little tiny space in the other corner lol

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#32 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

Definitely a no for me. Seen an absolute ton of PS4 stuff, but it almost feels like XB1 is a complete no show. This is really odd actually as I expected the exact opposite out of the marketing as MS has been usually very good at that. However, they may still be holding off for a big media blitz.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

I voted No, but I see plenty of advertisements and promotions for the Xbox One. Problem is most of them are convincing me to buy a PS4 instead. I don't want another cable box in my living room that spies on me, I just want to play games without all the hidden strings attached.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Haven't seen any ads yet,

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts

Not even close. I haven't seen a single ad on tv, and my plug-ins are set on "click to run," so I haven't even seen an ad on the internet yet...

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 blackace

That didn't take long, now did it?

Loading Video...

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

That XboxOne Invitation ad is way better than the sing-a-long PS4 ad imo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

Think they've done well for the unassuming masses. It's the core they've struggled with, a lot of what they do now feels like DC. Personally i think that Albert guy and Major Nelson are bumbling idiots and don't do them any favours. I mean do Sony have such tacky PR guys? Sony's stuff tends to come from people working on the console like Shu and Cerny. Tretton's not been as vocal this time round.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

its pretty horrible imo...

sony advertising more than nintendo and MS put together.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blackace

@gago-gago said:

That XboxOne Invitation ad is way better than the sing-a-long PS4 ad imo.

It's better because it actually should the games and the hardware, while still being entertaining and informative.

The PS4 ad was entertaining, but didn't show any games or hardware. It also didn't give us any information. "Greatest Awaits" isn't telling me sh!t.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blackace

@hoosier7 said:

Think they've done well for the unassuming masses. It's the core they've struggled with, a lot of what they do now feels like DC. Personally i think that Albert guy and Major Nelson are bumbling idiots and don't do them any favours. I mean do Sony have such tacky PR guys? Sony's stuff tends to come from people working on the console like Shu and Cerny. Tretton's not been as vocal this time round.

Tretton is a clown. A puppet if you will. He's made a few bonehead remarks in the past. Thankfully Kaz moved up, as he was made some stupid comments as well, but I think he's matured a lot since then. Cerny is a smart and respectable guy. My only problem with him is he tends to ramble and become boring. He puts me to sleep .

As for Albert and MJ, I'm fine with Major Nelson for the most part. He can say the wrong things at time, but he is usually very informative. I check his blog from time to time. I don't know much about Albert. Besides being a pretty intelligent guy, he seems to speak his mind and isn't as boring as Cerny. I've met Major Nelson in person. Never met Tretton surprisingly.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#42  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

Anecdotally, I've seen it on the sides of buildings adjacent to major roads in LA. But that's my only perspective. I haven't seen PS4 ads yet.