Is mediocrity being far more accepted in this generation

• 120 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#101 Flavorysoup
Member since 2011 • 593 Posts

The reason most games are in the 80s is because they aren't perfect. No game is perfect, the highest they got to perfect was portal 2 ans starcraft 2. And that was a 9.5 Game devs cam't make perfect games, why don't you try making a video game and then you might see that challenge. And maybe that's just this website, alot of the games that are in the 80's here are incredable games. TRy some of them and see, on this website 80/100 = 90/100. Just add to the score and that is what the game score should be. And yes... portal 2 gets a 105/100 :D

dovberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#102 dovberg
Member since 2009 • 3348 Posts

I would say that I agree that mediocrity is being accepted plenty but I don't think that's anything new. The entire GoW series is some of the most mindless boring gameplay I've ever seen and it always had high scores both this and last gen. I blame the stronger focus on story. Of course there are great games that show you dont have to sacrifice on either like ME2,Halo and Bio Shock.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#104 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

its been asked before, and I will give my answer like this:

I think the grades for the games this gen, has revealed a weakness in professionel reviews.

By most modern games, when you take them apart and look at tehm like reviewers does, you can see that most things look and work great.

But when you put those parts together and play the games, the weaknesses appear, This gen had far too many games with poor gameplay, or where the different parts were good, but just did not fit too well.

But verall yeah, high scores have been given too often, the games should be measured against comtemporary games, and it often feels that they are not.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#105 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

Ratchet and Clank tools of destrution was an incredibly bad game. nhh18

No it wasn't *leaves thread*

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#106 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I've thought so for a long time. It seems like everything FPS gets good reviews now.

Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#107 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts

Why do all games get a score of at least 80+ on metacritic. Why do all big fps get at least 85. nhh18

1. They don't

2. Because usually "big" games are good, regardless of genre. It's called having a huge budget and being overseen by a huge publisher.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#108 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts
I think there is a problem but it is stagnation moreso than mediocrity. Making games is too much of a science now
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#109 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Making games is too much of a science nowGunSmith1_basic
Well said. Everything is over-thought and focus-grouped now.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#110 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

[QUOTE="Moriarity_"][QUOTE="mmmwksil"]

Super Paper Mario was a fun game on its own. It was a pitiful excuse for a Paper Mario game, though.

mmmwksil

This is my only complaint about super paper mario. It's a great game but it's no paper mario game.

We have little to worry about. Paper Mario 3(DS) will be the true successor to the series... but can it ever top Thousand Year Door?

No. Only Super Paper Luigi: Adventures in Eclair Kingdom can do that.

You win this thread for that statement. :)

And not, mediocrity isn't more accepted. There are better games, and more games.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

Yup but now how you think. The games aren't bad from a design standpoint but more resources are being poured into that mininal difference in graphics which leaves less resources for other key areas. People like to say Uncharted 3 as an example is a great looking game. It looks a little different from the first in the series if you compare it to the huge technology jumps of say 2004-2007. Had they made minor enchantments to the engine with new assets as needed they could have squeezed much more content out as opposed to trying so hard to get the best graphics possible.

I'll take a game like Deus Ex 3 that looks 'bad' (I don't see it but apparently a lot of people on SW do) but is nice and meaty over that crappy tech demo that Crysis. A hermit who has an axe to grind with all the money wasted in graphics, who would have thought?

ps2snesgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 ps2snesgod
Member since 2009 • 771 Posts

At the OPs:

you're right, but if you're using Brawl, Mario Kart and Super Paper Mario as your examples, then you're WAY off base. Those DO happen to be great games and deserving of the scores they got.

Black Ops, MW2, God of War 3, games like Darksiders...these games should've been the examples you used...

svetzenlether
agreed with the first three cod has barely changed since modern warfare 4 and god of war 3 was so dissapointing compared to the second one. however darksiders is a great game....
Gibsonsg527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Gibsonsg527
Member since 2010 • 3313 Posts

[QUOTE="Teufelhuhn"]

[QUOTE="nhh18"]Not really that. It is more 'I can't trust reviews since they don't tell me the difference between great and mediocrity. Only talks about production values.

nhh18

You're talking about games that reviewers call "great" and saying that they're actually "mediocre". Sounds to me like you have a difference of opinion.

So you are saying that all games with high production values should be glamourized by reviewers. This isn't meant out of disrepect of others opinions. This is just saying that every game is great 4 out of 5 stars quality. This just isn't the case.

Mabye games with high production usually are great. If there is a game that has a high production and its bad then reviewers will slam it. Its all opinion.

legol1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 legol1
Member since 2005 • 1998 Posts

i really like resistance2 and ratchet and clank tool of destruction :(

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#115 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

On topic, why does TC consider Super Paper Mario a terrible game? i really want to know his reasons (if by any chance they exist of course)

madsnakehhh

Still waiting.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#116 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I've thought so for a long time. It seems like everything FPS gets good reviews now.

Demonjoe93

I think that's just because there are so many FPS fans now, and they end up getting the FPS reviews. It can be a real problem when the same reviewers are asked to review other genres like RPGs.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

Now a days everything is a business machine where in the past it was more of a refreshing hobby. Who knows what goes on behind closed doors at gaming websites these days...

nhh18

movies are a business. Doesn't mean la times, new york times, among other newspapers give every movie a good review.

Those are journalists, and as such they have to have integrity. They can have integrity because their revenue source isn't limited to the very people they are writing about.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#118 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Just cause you say something is mediorcer doesint mean it is. Its all opinoin in the end. Also Super Paper mario was the last fun mario game to me and yes I own galaxy.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts

Just cause you say something is mediorcer doesint mean it is. Its all opinoin in the end. Also Super Paper mario was the last fun mario game to me and yes I own galaxy.

finalfantasy94
Just cause you say something is not fun, doesn't mean it is not fun ;), talking about Galaxy
enterawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#120 enterawesome
Member since 2009 • 9477 Posts
Because reviewers are incompetent and afraid to give low ratings. A 8 out of 10 is basically 2 stars if it were a movie.