Is Last of Us Better than halflife 2?

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by uninspiredcup (9722 posts) 11 months, 18 days ago

Poll: Is Last of Us Better than halflife 2? (120 votes)

Last Of Us is 100% better than halflife 2 and sets a new, thing. Fgr people to look up too and stuff 43%
Halflife 2 57%

My friends, Halflife 2 is a game held by many as the greatest game humanity has ever known. Multiple times, it has been voted game of the decade, greatest fps of all time and overall greatest pc game of all time.

But, in recent times, Naughty Dogs have received all the "bestest in the world" praise. Both of these developers have been called "the pixar of the industry".

Has the latest game, "the last of" outclassed Valve or is Valve's Halflife 2 still regarded and held with higher stature in the grand scheme of things?

#101 Edited by uninspiredcup (9722 posts) -
@zaza__ said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Half Life 2 had a huge effect on the industry and the genre. We don't know yet what impact, if any, the last of us will have on future games.

What impact? HL2 was just another generic shooter.

@MirkoS77 said:

HL2 is a good game, but I find it held a bit too much in high regard. The shooting felt like you were gunning down cardboard cut-outs, which wasn't helped by the braindead AI. The weapons sounded like pea shooters as well. For a FPS, it seriously lacked where it mattered. I also found Gordon being a mute to deaden the experience and characters.

The whole game just felt incredibly sterile and engineered. It didn't feel like a living world, it felt like a world created by a computer, which it was. But that's the art of any good game-giving the illusion of reality, and it's hard for me to articulate why, but HL2 failed monumentally at this.

TLoU is in my top ten games of all-time, so you know where I stand.

Modern shooters, 8 ywars later.

#102 Posted by TheEroica (13837 posts) -

@Mozelleple112 said:

@TheEroica:

@TheEroica said:

I like apples more than oranges personally... a good granny smith is to die for...

In video game terms however, there are easily 2 dozen games better than the last of us and Half Life 2...

2 DOZEN? Are you nuts? Half Life 2 was one of, if not THE best game of the 6th generation. The EXACT same statement is more or less true for The Last of Us, but with the 7th generation.

It's all opinion right? I mean... there is no real way of quantifying the best game of all time, let alone have everyone agree on it. For me personally, neither of those two games would register on my top 25 list, given there are so many games that offered a more memorable experience for me. Great games, sure... but neither resonated with me in any "ZOMG!!!" type way...

#103 Edited by cainetao11 (18024 posts) -

TLOU is better at being a great, linear, cinematic gaming experience. HL2 I enjoyed more.

#104 Edited by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

lol no

HL2 = Game

TLOU = Movie

#105 Posted by Comduter (2201 posts) -

I think it would be more suitable to compare Half Life 2 to New Super Mario Bros. U or Plants Vs. Zombies in order to debate which game is better.

#106 Posted by clone01 (24964 posts) -

Completely different beasts. Both are excellent, IMO.

#107 Posted by clone01 (24964 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@TheEroica said:

@Heil68 said:

@TheEroica:

I can only think of 4 or 5 and MC agrees. Awww yeahhh :D

Why are there 45 games ahead of it then? Awwwwwww no :P

The two highest rated FPS of all time are console built shooters. Sadly, this cannot be taken seriously. Most likely casual "official xbox magazine" gaming media with 20 something FHM generation men who have never touched a pc. Disgusting.

Or they're popular, good games. Perhaps you should top being an idiot all of the time.

#108 Edited by Link3301 (1708 posts) -

Half-Life outdoes any modern shooter's single-player. Half-Life 2 has only aged in the graphics department.

#109 Posted by uninspiredcup (9722 posts) -

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@TheEroica said:

@Heil68 said:

@TheEroica:

The two highest rated FPS of all time are console built shooters. Sadly, this cannot be taken seriously. Most likely casual "official xbox magazine" gaming media with 20 something FHM generation men who have never touched a pc. Disgusting.

Or they're popular, good games. Perhaps you should top being an idiot all of the time.

But I'm right.

#110 Posted by Joedgabe (5129 posts) -

hermits get worse and more desperate by the day... :/

#111 Edited by Jankarcop (9967 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

PC won the last 3 gens here at SW with the most high quality games and most gamers and sales, dat' desperation.

#112 Posted by clone01 (24964 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@clone01 said:

@uninspiredcup said:
@TheEroica said:

@Heil68 said:

@TheEroica:

But I'm right.

Not remotely. But at least you admit you're an idiot.

#113 Posted by foxhound_fox (89458 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

In video game terms however, there are easily 2 dozen games better than the last of us and Half Life 2...

#114 Edited by Joedgabe (5129 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

@Joedgabe said:

PC won the last 3 gens here at SW with the most high quality games and most gamers and sales, dat' desperation.

dat desperation comes from almost every day with these type of threads. When something leads and wins it doesn't need to bend over and compare to that which feels it has won over. I sense insecurity in these daily threads. Why don't we make a Doom 2 Vs Half life thread ? :O

#115 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4679 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Lol. Half Life 2. The first person shooter with shitty shooting. Also no ending, and worse AI than Half Life 1 (how they manage that?). That was the game that made me realise how full of shit hermits are with regard to their exclusives. Yeah the level design and the gravity gun are awesome, they don't make a whole game though.

Last Of Us is better.

Only thing I like about the game is the gritty urban atmosphere, That's the only thing that made me play as far as I did, but after a while I just gave up.

I've played it on multiple platforms, and I don't get why orange box gets so much praise. It just seems lazy to me. On the 360, HL2 is a bit of a shabby port. It's an undemanding game, the graphics aren't even as good as the PCs if I remember and the loading screens are annoying.

#116 Edited by Jankarcop (9967 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@Jankarcop said:

@Joedgabe said:

dat desperation comes from almost every day with these type of threads. When something leads and wins it doesn't need to bend over and compare to that which feels it has won over. I sense insecurity in these daily threads. Why don't we make a Doom 2 Vs Half life thread ? :O

Because this isn't SW and 90% of the front page threads aren't the 3 major console fans bashing every possible games, saying RTS/MMO "don't count", or bragging over a 1 fps difference between each others inferior hardware.

Right.

#117 Posted by MirkoS77 (7810 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: .....what's your point showing me these vids?

#118 Edited by KHAndAnime (14091 posts) -

@zaza__ said:

@KHAndAnime: Puzzles and environment interaction was nothing new. Half Life 2 had greatly improved physics and graphics, but physics and graphics improve in time with all games. In terms of gameplay it was as generic as they get, run through very linear levels while shooting stuff.

What FPS shooters included environmental interaction to the degree Half-Life 2 did? Any games where you could kill enemies with objects in the environment? And those objects were governed by an advanced physics system?

And it has nothing to do with it being anything new, does it? Doom didn't create the FPS genre - Wolfenstein 3d preceded it. Doom did nothing new compared to Wolfenstein 3d - it simply popularized the basic run-n-gun FPS genre that evolved into more complex FPS genres as time went on. Half-Life games did the exact same thing when it came to environmental interactivity (and puzzles based upon that), storytelling structure (you inhabit the character in first person perspective from start to finish), and integrating physics with gameplay. Other games had traces of these elements, but none of them brought it to the forefront like Half-Life 1 and 2 did.

#119 Edited by Pray_to_me (2924 posts) -

Half Life 2 was fuckin' garbage even by 2004 standards. It looks and plays like 1965 cgi. Compare it to RE4 which came out less then a year later on Gamecube and dumps on it. Hermits gotta nuthug every game that was ever a PC exclusive of course.

They tried to say the Wither was amazing even though the graphics story and gameplay were shit.

They tried to hype Crysis even though it was a generic offline shooter with the depth of a rain puddle.

They still talk about no name low budget doo-doo like stalker, and are still playing gta4 with mods when the rest of the world has moved on not only to RDR but GTA 5 that they both missed.

PC is the flyover state of gaming.

#120 Posted by Jankarcop (9967 posts) -

@Pray_to_me said:

Half Life 2 was fuckin' garbage even by 2004 standards. It looks and plays like 1965 cgi.

Thats the worst trolling ever lmao.

#121 Edited by locopatho (20421 posts) -

@ripsaw1994 said:

@locopatho: Not exclusive, just shows how ignorant and probably prepubescent console plebs are

It was an exclusive in 2004 when PC folks were crowing about it, you idiot.

#122 Posted by Cloud_imperium (4400 posts) -

Half Life 2 had much bigger impact on game industry than The Last of Us . TLOU is great game but not something revolutionary like HL 2 that makes HL3 most anticipated game in the world , along with Shenmue 3 .

#123 Posted by speedfog (3281 posts) -

HL2 is still better.