Is Last of Us Better than halflife 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by uninspiredcup (12802 posts) 1 year, 3 months ago

Poll: Is Last of Us Better than halflife 2? (120 votes)

Last Of Us is 100% better than halflife 2 and sets a new, thing. Fgr people to look up too and stuff 43%
Halflife 2 57%

My friends, Halflife 2 is a game held by many as the greatest game humanity has ever known. Multiple times, it has been voted game of the decade, greatest fps of all time and overall greatest pc game of all time.

But, in recent times, Naughty Dogs have received all the "bestest in the world" praise. Both of these developers have been called "the pixar of the industry".

Has the latest game, "the last of" outclassed Valve or is Valve's Halflife 2 still regarded and held with higher stature in the grand scheme of things?

#51 Posted by nutcrackr (12847 posts) -

Only two games are better than Half-Life 2 and neither of them are Last of Us.

#52 Posted by stuff238 (948 posts) -

I love how PC gamers can praise HL2 for it's great story telling, yet ignore it's obvious gameplay flaws. Sounds like MGS1 fanboys to me and I am a MGS fanboy.

Let's forget HL2's storytelling. What does that leave us with? Boring gameplay. I leave Ravenholm, jump on jet ski, drive 10 miles doing nothing, park the jet ski, go into a small tunner, shoot 4 guards, press a button, get back on jet ski, drive another boring 10 miles, get off, shoot 4 guards......repeat this a couple more times boring you to tears. The beginning to ravenholm, to this part to the boring parts after was so annoying.

Don't even forget the boring FPS gameplay. Shooting anything in the game is simply not fun. It feels like a poor mans FPS. Was this game great in 2004? Sure, why not? But it is terrible now and no amount of mods can save the boring gameplay.

At least TLOU was fun the entire way through and never had you being bored. There was always something new to show or do.

#53 Edited by killatwill15 (855 posts) -

@nutcrackr said:

Only two games are better than Half-Life 2 and neither of them are Last of Us.

which 2?

#54 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I'd say so. HL2 is decent but not great.

#55 Posted by Roler42 (859 posts) -

@stuff238 said:

I love how PC gamers can praise HL2 for it's great story telling, yet ignore it's obvious gameplay flaws. Sounds like MGS1 fanboys to me and I am a MGS fanboy.

Let's forget HL2's storytelling. What does that leave us with? Boring gameplay. I leave Ravenholm, jump on jet ski, drive 10 miles doing nothing, park the jet ski, go into a small tunner, shoot 4 guards, press a button, get back on jet ski, drive another boring 10 miles, get off, shoot 4 guards......repeat this a couple more times boring you to tears. The beginning to ravenholm, to this part to the boring parts after was so annoying.

Don't even forget the boring FPS gameplay. Shooting anything in the game is simply not fun. It feels like a poor mans FPS. Was this game great in 2004? Sure, why not? But it is terrible now and no amount of mods can save the boring gameplay.

At least TLOU was fun the entire way through and never had you being bored. There was always something new to show or do.

And yet the trailers for TLOU bored me and the idea of babysitting another girl made me remember the pain of resident evil 4

#56 Posted by silversix_ (16169 posts) -

TLOU for 2013 wasn't anywhere near as impressive as HL2 was for 2004.

#57 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

@princessgomez92: I see you have swapped Selena for Chloe, you have good taste sir.

On topic, why would anyone in their right mind compare an old game to a new one especially one that is already outdated. Please anyone who still thinks highly of Half Life is either in denial or drunk, go play the game again and come tell me its aged well

#58 Posted by Bigboi500 (31309 posts) -

HL2>TLOU. Although I have no idea why they're being compared.

#59 Edited by uninspiredcup (12802 posts) -

@megaspiderweb09 said:

On topic, why would anyone in their right mind compare an old game to a new one

True young man Citizen Kane is very poor and antiquated compared to a modern classic such as Tranformers 3. Let us forget about the shitty sled story.

#60 Posted by Ballroompirate (23741 posts) -

Both are awesome, but HLF 2 isn't even the best FPS anymore, so TLOU wins by being the superior game.

#61 Posted by Krelian-co (13098 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@megaspiderweb09 said:

On topic, why would anyone in their right mind compare an old game to a new one

True young man Citizen Kane is very poor and antiquated compared to a modern classic such as Tranformers 3. Let us forget about the shitty sled story.

an analogy worthy of one of the dumbest people in this forum /clap clap you outdo yourself every post when people think you cannot get more dumb.

#62 Posted by mems_1224 (48572 posts) -

lol of course it is. HL2 is one of the most overrated games ever.

#63 Edited by GTSaiyanjin2 (6017 posts) -

HL2... what a disappointment that was. HL2 is a decent game at best.

#64 Posted by Tqricardinho (434 posts) -

Don't make me choose. Different games and I really loved both.

#65 Edited by Jankarcop (10791 posts) -

HL2 by far.

LOTU is more of a movie, not really a game. However LOTU will win this poll since its newer and in peoples minds.

#66 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1454 posts) -

Looks like TLoU is better. Sorry TC.

#67 Posted by uninspiredcup (12802 posts) -

@Jankarcop said:

HL2 by far.

LOTU is more of a movie, not really a game. However LOTU will win this poll since its newer and in peoples minds.

Personally, I disregard about 75% of the last of us votes in order to make the poll objectively fair. Many will simply be blind votes devoid of intellect.

#68 Posted by blamix99 (2575 posts) -

love both,. but love TLOU much more

#69 Posted by handssss (1898 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@Jankarcop said:

HL2 by far.

Personally, I disregard about 75% of the last of us votes in order to make the poll objectively fair. Many will simply be blind votes devoid of intellect.

So, you admit you're biased and would be tampering with the results of a poll (which one uses if they want to hear the majority opinion) just because you know things won't go your way?

Nevermind the people blindly voting for HL2 like that one right there.

#70 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

HL2 is extremely overrated. It may have been amazing for its time but it hasn't aged terribly well. Plus despite the "no cutscenes" thing the story is boring and underdeveloped. That being said, it's still a fun game.

#71 Edited by Krelian-co (13098 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Looks like Halflife 2 won again.

so, i heard you thought half life was going to win.

#72 Edited by uninspiredcup (12802 posts) -

My friend, we disregarded 75% of the youth vote. Halflife 2 won many hours ago. Also, you've quite clearly been making alt accounts.

#73 Posted by Krelian-co (13098 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

It did win. The poll ended when I posted that,

don't be such a bad loser, i thought you were some pathetic old guy, and by the dumb way you act you should be used to losing by now.

#74 Posted by padaporra (3440 posts) -

There is only one game in the history of mankind that is better than Half Life 2, but it's not The Last of Us.

#75 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9497 posts) -

Someone is jelly of Sony's bounty of world class games. Long live Sony

#76 Edited by Jankarcop (10791 posts) -

Both games are genre defining.

Sadly the genre of movie-games is something people don't exactly want defined, they want it dead. A quick 5 hour long rental is fun every now and then, but we don't need clones and copies and resources spent in their wake in place of real games.

I'm glad Last of Us only got an 8.0, and that Ryse got a 4.5. These movie-games are being unraveled as the over-priced movies that they are.

#77 Edited by KHAndAnime (14713 posts) -

The Last of Us is one of the most overrated games of all time. The pacing in the game is so poor, I couldn't bring myself to beat it because it was so consistently boring and repetitive. Half Life 2, on the other hand, is one of the best. It's an adrenaline rush from start to finish. No crappy 'daughter dies at beginning' shlock.

#78 Edited by ArisShadows (22665 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

I like apples more than oranges personally... a good granny smith is to die for...

In video game terms however, there are easily 2 dozen games better than the last of us and Half Life 2...

Nailed it, good sir.

#79 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29746 posts) -

Half Life 2, but they're both phenomenal games.

#80 Posted by TheEroica (14469 posts) -

@ArisShadows: why thank you ;)

#81 Posted by HAZE-Unit (10497 posts) -

Yes zombie game is better.

Valve is overrated, didn't make a game in a decade for a reason.

#82 Posted by Sweenix (5957 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Anything's better than Half Life 2.

#83 Posted by Seabas989 (11023 posts) -

They are about the same to me but I enjoyed HL2 more then TLOU.

#84 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6701 posts) -

@TheEroica:

@TheEroica said:

I like apples more than oranges personally... a good granny smith is to die for...

In video game terms however, there are easily 2 dozen games better than the last of us and Half Life 2...

2 DOZEN? Are you nuts? Half Life 2 was one of, if not THE best game of the 6th generation. The EXACT same statement is more or less true for The Last of Us, but with the 7th generation.

#85 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6701 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@TheEroica said:

@Heil68 said:

@TheEroica:

I can only think of 4 or 5 and MC agrees. Awww yeahhh :D

Why are there 45 games ahead of it then? Awwwwwww no :P

The two highest rated FPS of all time are console built shooters. Sadly, this cannot be taken seriously. Most likely casual "official xbox magazine" gaming media with 20 something FHM generation men who have never touched a pc. Disgusting.

Console FPS standards. 97 metacritic scoring FPS on console is equal to a 91 or 92 on PC, hence Half Life 1-2 are still the two best shooters ever made.

#86 Edited by zaza__ (25 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Half Life 2 had a huge effect on the industry and the genre. We don't know yet what impact, if any, the last of us will have on future games.

What impact? HL2 was just another generic shooter.

#87 Posted by sukraj (23975 posts) -

I prefer HL2.

#88 Posted by marinko123 (416 posts) -

Half-Life 1 >>>>>>>>>>> Half-Life 2. It's about on par with gta4 for the most boring game ever.

#89 Posted by Ripsaw1994 (194 posts) -

@locopatho: Not exclusive, just shows how ignorant and probably prepubescent console plebs are

#90 Edited by MirkoS77 (8377 posts) -

HL2 is a good game, but I find it held a bit too much in high regard. The shooting felt like you were gunning down cardboard cut-outs, which wasn't helped by the braindead AI. The weapons sounded like pea shooters as well. For a FPS, it seriously lacked where it mattered. I also found Gordon being a mute to deaden the experience and characters.

The whole game just felt incredibly sterile and engineered. It didn't feel like a living world, it felt like a world created by a computer, which it was. But that's the art of any good game-giving the illusion of reality, and it's hard for me to articulate why, but HL2 failed monumentally at this.

TLoU is in my top ten games of all-time, so you know where I stand.

#91 Posted by HaloinventedFPS (4736 posts) -

Half Life 2 is in another league, TLOU was forgotten in a month, HL2 is still being discussed 10 years later

#92 Edited by AzatiS (8133 posts) -

Comparing an FPS to an action/adventure style of game ... Good job ...

As for Half - life , maybe you are young , is NOT half-life 2 that is considered one of the best games ever made ... Its the original Half-life which revolutionized almost every aspect/mechanic in FPS genre.

So if someome thinks Half life 2 is the best game ever created on earth then definitly original Half - life is the best game in the universe.

Next time try to compare games under same genre , not 10 years difference , and do a video gaming history lesson because you sound like a newbie.

#93 Posted by Cyberdot (3925 posts) -

HL2, no doubt.

#94 Edited by KHAndAnime (14713 posts) -

@zaza__ said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Half Life 2 had a huge effect on the industry and the genre. We don't know yet what impact, if any, the last of us will have on future games.

Doom was just another generic shooter too, so it couldn't have had an impact, right?

#95 Posted by zaza__ (25 posts) -

@KHAndAnime said:

@zaza__ said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Doom was just another generic shooter too, so it couldn't have had an impact, right?

Doom was one of the first shooters ever made, it created the genre and it's mechanics along with Wolfenstein 3D.

Half Life 2 was just following the same old fps formula (run forward and shoot stuff) with no real innovation.

#96 Posted by SirSlimyScott (275 posts) -

I couldn't get into HL2, the gameplay and story bored me alone.

#97 Posted by SirSlimyScott (275 posts) -

@locopatho: Glad someone agrees with me, I couldn't get into HL2 as the gameplay was dull, and the story was just meh; I honestly don't why it gets so much praise.

#98 Edited by KHAndAnime (14713 posts) -

@zaza__ said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@zaza__ said:

Doom was one of the first shooters ever made, it created the genre and it's mechanics along with Wolfenstein 3D.

Half Life 2 was just following the same old fps formula (run forward and shoot stuff) with no real innovation.

What? Did you even play Half-Life 2? Are you just pretending like you did? How do you run and shoot all the puzzles in it? Can you name any FPS games before Half-Life 2 that focused highly on environmental interactivity? Seems like every FPS since Half-Life 2 had most objects governed by physics in the environment, yet no FPS games seemed to have any before hand...

Before Half-Life 2, there were no games where you could, for example, break a board that was holding barrels and then watch the barrels roll down the hill and kill enemies. Yet since Half-Life 2, tons of games focus on using physics objects to kill your enemies. Even FPS-RPG games, like Oblivion, copied Half-Life 2's innovations and saw fit to make sure they showcased them within the first 5 minutes of the game.

Half-Life 2 completely popularized that. Even Doom 3, the "big name" FPS rivaling HL2 in 2004, introduced an expansion copying HL2's gravity gun.

To say HL2 didn't innovate just demonstrates how awfully ignorant you are about your gaming history.

#99 Posted by zaza__ (25 posts) -

@KHAndAnime: Puzzles and environment interaction was nothing new. Half Life 2 had greatly improved physics and graphics, but physics and graphics improve in time with all games. In terms of gameplay it was as generic as they get, run through very linear levels while shooting stuff.

#100 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

Lol. At least put tlou up against some real competition, cause it poops all over hl2.