Is Last of Us Better than halflife 2?

• 122 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by uninspiredcup (9016 posts) 10 months, 14 days ago

Poll: Is Last of Us Better than halflife 2? (119 votes)

Last Of Us is 100% better than halflife 2 and sets a new, thing. Fgr people to look up too and stuff 43%
Halflife 2 56%

My friends, Halflife 2 is a game held by many as the greatest game humanity has ever known. Multiple times, it has been voted game of the decade, greatest fps of all time and overall greatest pc game of all time.

But, in recent times, Naughty Dogs have received all the "bestest in the world" praise. Both of these developers have been called "the pixar of the industry".

Has the latest game, "the last of" outclassed Valve or is Valve's Halflife 2 still regarded and held with higher stature in the grand scheme of things?

#1 Edited by TheEroica (13726 posts) -

I like apples more than oranges personally... a good granny smith is to die for...

In video game terms however, there are easily 2 dozen games better than the last of us and Half Life 2...

#2 Edited by PinkieWinkie (1375 posts) -

No...not another uninspired cup shit thread...living in the shadow of the US must be killing him

#3 Edited by uninspiredcup (9016 posts) -

My friends, after much self debating, this (otherwise excellent) poll is slightly flawed. Halflife 2 was 2004. Assuming many of the elder console users are even 20, this would make them around 10 years old at the time of release. It seems a bias towards the contemporary will be likely outcome.

#4 Posted by Krelian-co (11239 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

No...not another uninspired cup shit thread...

yes, yes it is

#5 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1375 posts) -

For the last time, have you ever played tlou or any uncharted games?

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (9016 posts) -

I like strategy games.

#7 Edited by Eisen_Howl (83 posts) -
@Krelian-co said:
@PinkieWinkie said:

yes, yes it is

It's a trap.

He's going to bring up about how he's sooo older than all of us and have experienced Half-Life 2, the most groundbreaking game to him when it came out, and start referring you as "Son", "Kid" and probably "Sport.

He's worse than a 20 year old, he's....Biff...from Back to the Future...an asshole at every point of his life until some nerd punches in his face and alters the timeline of the universe.

That being said, any takers?

---------------

Called it.

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, after much self debating, this (otherwise excellent) poll is slightly flawed. Halflife 2 was 2004. Assuming many of the elder console users are even 20, this would make them around 10 years old at the time of release. It seems a bias towards the contemporary will be likely outcome.

#8 Posted by longtonguecat (2498 posts) -

HL2 in 2004 > TLOU in 2013

#9 Edited by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

I'm not particularly fond of The Last of Us (though it still was fun), but I'd most definitely pick over Half-Life 2. It's about a million times better.

Half-Life 2 on the other hand, fucking sucks. PC gamers always overrate their originally exclusive games. They thought they could keep up the lie that it was actually a good game, but then Valve, deluded by their smug fan-base, began to think their game was worthwhile and so ported it to consoles. Of course, as we all soon found out, it was complete shit.

I played the Half-Life 2 saga on my laptop at the time. System Wars kept lying to me about PC gaming being superior, so I gave it a try. I also gave F.E.A.R., BioShock, Guild Wars, Audiosurf, Team Fortress 2, Portal, Left 4 Dead, Counter Strike: Source, and Braid in 2008 before finally concluding that I wasn't missing out on anything and that I fucking hated PC gaming.

#10 Posted by Consternated (498 posts) -

@longtonguecat said:

HL2 in 2004 > TLOU in 2013

By some margin, too.

Mechanically, TLOU just disappointed me too much to want to see it through to the end.

#11 Edited by glez13 (8876 posts) -

HL2 is totally overrated.

#12 Posted by kingtito (5034 posts) -

@eisen_howl said:
@Krelian-co said:
@PinkieWinkie said:

yes, yes it is

It's a trap.

He's going to bring up about how he's sooo older than all of us and have experienced Half-Life 2, the most groundbreaking game to him when it came out, and start referring you as "Son", "Kid" and probably "Sport.

He's worse than a 20 year old, he's....Biff...from Back to the Future...an asshole at every point of his life until some nerd punches in his face and alters the timeline of the universe.

---------------

Called it.

@uninspiredcup said:

LOL

#13 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9867 posts) -

Stop violating the new thread button.

#14 Edited by Roler42 (770 posts) -

I think Apples are factually tastier than oranges, don't let no dumb orange fanboy tell you otherwise!

#15 Edited by Motokid6 (5730 posts) -

@zaraxius: Ill be sure to take note of your opinion, but the fact is.. at the time.. yes, Half Life 2 was a great game. Far better then what was available.

And you've been here since 2008?... Why doesnt your post count reflect that? Been banned much? Or are you just a 12 year old fakeboy who's never played a HL game in his life? Lets hear it.

#16 Posted by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

I like apples more than oranges personally... a good granny smith is to die for...

In video game terms however, there are easily 2 dozen games better than the last of us and Half Life 2...

Lemme guess Mass Effect? Heuheuheuheuehuehueheu.

Nah OP I prefer Half Life 2 and its episodes more than TLOU. But that's not taking anything away from the quality of TLOU.

#17 Posted by NFJSupreme (5379 posts) -

Terrible comparison. Apples and oranges. But half life 2 is the better game and had a much bigger impact on the industry.

#18 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

@Motokid6 said:

@zaraxius: Ill be sure to take note of your opinion, but the fact is.. at the time.. yes, Half Life 2 was a great game. Far better then what was available.

And if youve been here since 2008?... Why doesnt your post count reflect that? Been banned much? Or are you just a 12 year old fakeboy who's never played a HL game in his life? Lets hear it.

I made my first account here in early 2005. I actually didn't know what System Wars was until late 2007. Banned? Let's just say I lost my password on multiple occasions.

Is it really that hard to believe someone doesn't like Half Life 2 with all that's wrong with it? I'm sure you've heard it before, so I won't get into that. But at the time of The Orange Box release (which was only three years after Half Life 2's original launch), all the defenders of the game responded to any argument simply by saying "it's an old game." Funny how fast it became outdated. Meanwhile, Resident Evil 4 is still awesome even nine years after launch.

#19 Posted by locopatho (20385 posts) -

Lol. Half Life 2. The first person shooter with shitty shooting. Also no ending, and worse AI than Half Life 1 (how they manage that?). That was the game that made me realise how full of shit hermits are with regard to their exclusives. Yeah the level design and the gravity gun are awesome, they don't make a whole game though.

Last Of Us is better.

#20 Posted by lostrib (37804 posts) -

@locopatho said:

Lol. Half Life 2. The first person shooter with shitty shooting. Also no ending, and worse AI than Half Life 1 (how they manage that?). That was the game that made me realise how full of shit hermits are with regard to their exclusives. Yeah the level design and the gravity gun are awesome, they don't make a whole game though.

Last Of Us is better.

...half life 2 isn't an exclusive

And according to the all mighty metacritic it is higher rated than TLOU. so it's not just "hermits"

#21 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17784 posts) -

Half Life 2 had a huge effect on the industry and the genre. We don't know yet what impact, if any, the last of us will have on future games.

#22 Posted by leandrro (904 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

#23 Edited by Zassimick (6674 posts) -
@eisen_howl said:

It's a trap.

---------------

Called it.

Like a book.

Btw, I first saw you (user) today and thought the name was clever. Would love to see a user with an avatar with a wolf wearing glasses named eisen_howler. :P

EDIT: On topic, I enjoyed both games immensely. Like others have said, apples to oranges.

#24 Posted by locopatho (20385 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@locopatho said:

Last Of Us is better.

...half life 2 isn't an exclusive

And according to the all mighty metacritic it is higher rated than TLOU. so it's not just "hermits"

It was in 2004.

Yeah and Metacritic tells me GTAIV is better than Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 as well. Lol.

#25 Edited by Heil68 (45267 posts) -

@TheEroica:

I can only think of 4 or 5 and MC agrees. Awww yeahhh :D

#26 Edited by uninspiredcup (9016 posts) -

Looks like Halflife 2 won again.

#27 Edited by Motokid6 (5730 posts) -

@zaraxius: Was never much for RE. But HL2 hasnt aged well that much i will agree.

#28 Edited by Eisen_Howl (83 posts) -

@Zassimick said:
@eisen_howl said:

It's a trap.

---------------

Called it.

Like a book.

Btw, I first saw you (user) today and thought the name was clever. Would love to see a user with an avatar with a wolf wearing glasses named eisen_howler. :P

EDIT: On topic, I enjoyed both games immensely. Like others have said, apples to oranges.

Hahahaha i was going to use a display picture of a Wolf at first, but then it felt a little too cliche :p

I know a few members have pictures of a Wolf, so i'm cool off being a little different.

But perhaps, i'll have to change it down the line to be more in line with the name.

And yeah, i enjoyed both games just as much as the other - and i get the groundbreaking feel of HL2 - but like you and others have said, apples & oranges maaan.

#29 Edited by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

Don´t be crazy,HL2 is on a whole other level.

#30 Edited by Epic-gamerz (196 posts) -

A Sony Exclusive beating a multiplat? No way, that would be to much ownage for non PS3 owners

#31 Posted by lamprey263 (24238 posts) -

not hard for something new to be better than a game that's 9 years old

#32 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3621 posts) -

Anything's better than Half Life 2.

#33 Edited by lostrib (37804 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Anything's better than Half Life 2.

Infestation (The War Z) begs to differ

#34 Posted by with_teeth26 (6191 posts) -

HL2 does a much better job of blending story and gameplay than TLOU. You are always in control in HL games, even during story sequences, whereas TLOU has 'gameplay' mode and 'cutscene' mode.

#35 Posted by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

I don't see what is so great about TLoU. It seemed so cool at first, but I kept waiting for it to pick up. Overall I found it very boring and only finished it because I payed $60 for it.

I can usually see why people like the games that I don't, but this one I can't

#36 Edited by jg4xchamp (48405 posts) -

Yes.

Half Life 2's "influence" and holier than thou status be damned. For all its variety it's entirely built around some of the dullest mechanics you'll find in a shooter. And everything pre-ravenholm on a gameplay level is an absolute slog. Episode 2 was a far more satisfying Half Life 2 gameplay experience(even with its dull ass mechanics), because it cuts the bullshit and paces itself better.

#37 Posted by drekula2 (1947 posts) -

half life 2 isnt a gold standard to begin with so yes

#38 Posted by TheEroica (13726 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@TheEroica:

Why are there 45 games ahead of it then? Awwwwwww no :P

#39 Edited by uninspiredcup (9016 posts) -

@with_teeth26 said:

HL2 does a much better job of blending story and gameplay than TLOU. You are always in control in HL games, even during story sequences, whereas TLOU has 'gameplay' mode and 'cutscene' mode.

Great point my friend. Kids these days want movies with bare bones interaction, not video games like Halflife 2.

#40 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

Honestly? Yeah it is. I mean HL2 is awesome and all and at the time it came out it was revolutionary in ways but it did have it's crappy sections that just felt like they dragged.

TLOU was much more consistently fun to play

#41 Posted by TheEroica (13726 posts) -

@StriateEnd said:

@TheEroica said:

Nah OP I prefer Half Life 2 and its episodes more than TLOU. But that's not taking anything away from the quality of TLOU.

I know people who were handicapped before they played Mass Effect... Once the good Shepard touched their soul, they could walk again...

#42 Posted by uninspiredcup (9016 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@StriateEnd said:

@TheEroica said:

I know people who were handicapped before they played Mass Effect... Once the good Shepard touched their soul, they could walk again...

As someone who could be handicapped, I find this comment deeply offensive.

#43 Posted by TheEroica (13726 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@TheEroica said:

@StriateEnd said:

@TheEroica said:

As someone who could be handicapped, I find this comment deeply offensive.

Not Handicapped, Handicapable...

#44 Edited by StriateEnd (497 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@StriateEnd said:

@TheEroica said:

legit lol'd

#45 Posted by coasterguy65 (6033 posts) -

Check back with me in 10 years and we will check and see if people are still talking about TLoU.

#46 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

@PinkieWinkie said:

No...not another uninspired cup shit thread...living in the shadow of the US must be killing him

Yeah.....it is sadly.

Oh well. I for one am going to start a trend of never responding to what he says, quote him, and instead just post funny pictures in his threads while completely ignoring him.

#47 Posted by HiraiKazuo (289 posts) -

TC is a big fucking dumb idiot

#48 Edited by uninspiredcup (9016 posts) -
@TheEroica said:

@Heil68 said:

@TheEroica:

The two highest rated FPS of all time are console built shooters. Sadly, this cannot be taken seriously. Most likely casual "official xbox magazine" gaming media with 20 something FHM generation men who have never touched a pc. Disgusting.

#49 Posted by Heil68 (45267 posts) -

@TheEroica said:

@Heil68 said:

@TheEroica:

How are the games rated the same-95, rated higher? They're not and thus top 5 CONFIRMED and SDC.