Is Japan's game industry a sinking ship?

Edited 3 months, 3 days ago

Poll: Is Japan's game industry a sinking ship? (25 votes)

Yes, it is becoming completely irrelevant 32%
Yes, it's just all mobile now no console, handheld, and PC 40%
No, indie games can save it 0%
No, SCE, Nintendo, etc. can still save it 28%

We all know how console and handheld sales have been going down and how Japanese franchises have been going stale. Do you think there is still hope for Japan's game industry to bounce back and replicate once again its glorious days of producing high quality titles? Do you think if the indie game scene in Japan gets better, it will save Japan from irrelevance?

Japan used to rule video games

PS4 Launch compared to PS2

#1 Posted by osirisx3 (1711 posts) -

japan in general is in trouble. They have a declining population and wont do anything about it. More people are dying and retiring then are being born. plus they hate outsiders so no one moves to Japan.

gaming is to expensive these days and mobile is doing very well in japan. console and pc games are expensive in japan hell VNS often cost over 100 bucks.

#2 Edited by SolidGame_basic (16074 posts) -

I know people will start coming in here with stats and numbers trying to show its impeding doom, but I think there will be resurgence. Gaming is hard to kill :p

#3 Posted by princeofshapeir (13605 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

plus they hate outsiders so no one moves to Japan.

This isn't true. At all.

#4 Edited by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

No, since the only good video games still come almost exclusively from Japan.

#5 Posted by MBirdy88 (7203 posts) -

This assumes games are less important in Japan... they are not. their Western Influence is still here, people seem to think that because we don't see as many godamn crap JRPG's that somehow Japan has disappeared... whats up with you people?

Where has it been said console sales are going down? I thought they were going up with everything else... handhelds... well yea that was obvious... people buy s*it 3DS like devices because if "TEH MARIO aND POKEMONS" instead of quality devices like the vita.... so quality nose dives.

#6 Edited by Spitfire-Six (463 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

lol what

#7 Posted by clyde46 (43685 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

This isn't true. At all.

Really? I thought the Japanese were very xenophobic.

#8 Posted by osirisx3 (1711 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

This isn't true. At all.

i disagree they treat anyone not born in Japan like they are weird or dangerous. People call the cops because a white person used a vending machine lol. I think i read some where that japan only gets like 15,000 outsiders a year that get citizenship. when your population is 127 million thats a drop in the ocean.

#9 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6231 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

*facepalm*

#10 Posted by Gue1 (9171 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

and britney spears is a virgin. lol

#11 Edited by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

*facepalm*

I don't see how this is hard to believe. In almost every genre Japan makes the best games, while the best that comes out of the west is still pretty mediocre.

#12 Posted by mems_1224 (45811 posts) -

Yes, a lot of it seems to be because they refuse to change and that there is no fresh blood. Its all old people from 20 years ago still making the same games.

#13 Posted by ominous_titan (455 posts) -

So the ps4 doesn't sell like wildfire in Japan so now gaming is dying there?

#14 Posted by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

Yes, a lot of it seems to be because they refuse to change and that there is no fresh blood. Its all old people from 20 years ago still making the same games.

But they have changed.

#15 Posted by super600 (29973 posts) -

@MBirdy88 said:

This assumes games are less important in Japan... they are not. their Western Influence is still here, people seem to think that because we don't see as many godamn crap JRPG's that somehow Japan has disappeared... whats up with you people?

Where has it been said console sales are going down? I thought they were going up with everything else... handhelds... well yea that was obvious... people buy s*it 3DS like devices because if "TEH MARIO aND POKEMONS" instead of quality devices like the vita.... so quality nose dives.

The PS4 is selling worse than the PS3 right now in Japan and it will most likely stay that way throughout the whole entire 8th gen. The WiiU is selling worse than the Wii. The xbox one will be lucky to sell as well as the 360 in Japan and both of the handhelds are selling way worse than their predecessors.

#16 Edited by Ballroompirate (21737 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@osirisx3 said:

This isn't true. At all.

Pretty sure that's people China and not in Japan.

#17 Posted by TigerSuperman (1835 posts) -
#18 Posted by Wiimotefan (4062 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Pffrbt said:

*facepalm*

I don't see how this is hard to believe. In almost every genre Japan makes the best games, while the best that comes out of the west is still pretty mediocre.

I could have fully gotten behind this argument before last gen. There were always some good games coming from non-Japanese devs, but they did have things on lock for about 4 gens straight.

It's not really that way anymore though. They still make some of the best games around every so often, but those examples are so few and far between nowadays. Add to that the very sudden rise of quality among western devs over the past 8 years or so.

#19 Edited by Pffrbt (6367 posts) -

It's not really that way anymore though. They still make some of the best games around every so often, but those examples are so few and far between nowadays. Add to that the very sudden rise of quality among western devs over the past 8 years or so.

The games may be fewer and further between, but great games still come almost exclusively from Japan. I don't know what sudden rise in quality among western devs you're talking about since most western games are still terrible, with the "best" games still being pretty mediocre in comparison to Japanese counterparts.

#20 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9294 posts) -

The Japanese gaming industry had been going down the toilet since the beginning of last gen. Many Japanese devs studios have acknowledged it and have explain to why Japan and the Japanese market is just not the same anymore.

Sure since they have had some great talent, once in a while you get some a great game out of them, (Mario Galaxy, MGS4, Demon Souls).

#21 Edited by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

Needs moar indie games.

To answer the topic, I dunno. If we take certain gamer's and Keiji Inafune's word for it, then yes, they're sinking. I don't think so though, just that they have yet to really adapt to the changing industry. There's still some great stuff coming out of Japan. But I still think they're a little stuck in the past. But whatever, western gaming isn't flawless either...

#22 Posted by melonfarmerz (1012 posts) -

Not if you're a mobile/handheld dev.

#23 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16440 posts) -

Um last I checked the 3DS was selling very well, and the Japanese are still putting out great games.

#24 Posted by osirisx3 (1711 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@osirisx3 said:

This isn't true. At all.

pretty sure you don't know anything about japan

#25 Posted by Ballroompirate (21737 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@clyde46 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@osirisx3 said:

This isn't true. At all.

Pretty sure you're just ignorant and bad at English (not talking about Clyde or Prince)

#26 Edited by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

Japan is irrelevant to me anyways, bunch of casuals.

#27 Edited by clyde46 (43685 posts) -

@osirisx3 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@clyde46 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@osirisx3 said:

This isn't true. At all.

Pretty sure you're just ignorant and bad at English (not talking about Clyde or Prince)

Having Googled it, Japan does have a history of being racist and xenophobic however from what I'm reading its not out of spite. Its more of a cultural thing.

#28 Edited by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@osirisx3 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@clyde46 said:

@princeofshapeir said:

@osirisx3 said:

This isn't true. At all.

Having Googled it, Japan does have a history of being racist and xenophobic however from what I'm reading its not out of spite. Its more of a cultural thing.

#29 Edited by clyde46 (43685 posts) -
#30 Edited by BattleSpectre (5952 posts) -
#31 Posted by Ballroompirate (21737 posts) -

@clyde46: They've actually opened up a lot the past decade or so, but they do still have their xenophobic tendencies with their spiritual beliefs that they still hold on to. I see why some people might think people in Japan are douches/racists, but they are no where near as bad as China, North Korea, Africa, Cuba and the whole Middle East.

#32 Edited by ominous_titan (455 posts) -

Cubans aren't fucking racist. They love tourists. Best place to go on vacation since yanks aren't allowed to go there