Is it time PC retail games moved to Blu Ray?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by NoodleFighter (7822 posts) -

It seems the prices have dropped enough for Blu Ray drives and disks to make the switch. A lot of prebuilt Desktops and Laptops seem to have Blu Ray by default or having a simple $50-$100 price up option to use it.

Interal Blu Rays are about $40 minimum currently and External Blu Ray is about $40. By next year these prices should be about $10 cheaper and with places like NewEgg and Amazon you could probably get one on sale before it.

The retail PC market isn't dead yet since it took about 2011 for digital sales to surpass and basically Digital distribution makes up half of the PC market. Every major game/ games ranging over $40 seem to have a retail version and it's interesting seeing even some indie titles trying to get retail versions.

81b%2BI-PN4EL._AA1500_.jpg51js4icl5WL.jpg51sA-DqmKGL.jpg

I did think up somethings that can get in the way of this like adoption rates, it's pretty well known that people hate change and/or refuse anything different, many of the "DVD forever" gang will probably cling to DVDs till they're pretty much dead. Seeing as how all the next gen consoles will be using Slot Loading Blu Ray drives which cost a lot more than fat ones that would, this would probably take a while for the price to drop especially for small form factors PCs. However they could always use an external Blu Ray Drive.

However with those a lot of the cheap ones use USB 2.0 which may limit transfering speed, the ones that use usb 3.0 cost about $60 but that's still cheaper than using a slot loading Blu Ray drive. The price for games may go up a bit but nowhere near consoles since PC gaming doesn't have as many licensing fees as the consoles. Which is why not only Digital Distrubtion but PC retail can be cheaper than console versions of games.

The benefits of Blu Ray in PC gaming I see are since the typical PC game doesn't demand that much HDD space to use up the entire disc, the Blu Ray can be used to optionally play the game directly off the disk for those too impatient to install, and it will give decision to buy a retail copy some use. Although the HDD space required for games is increasing so Blu Ray could future proof itself for quite some time.

#2 Posted by Badosh (12741 posts) -
sure.
#3 Posted by milannoir (1570 posts) -

Time for PC what to move to BluRay?

#4 Posted by Zero5000X (8242 posts) -
There is no need for it on PC.
#5 Posted by Kinthalis (5340 posts) -

The PC is largely a digital market. For where retail makes sense, Blu-ray doesn't make much of a difference. You're still going to install the game to the hard drive so 4 super cheap DVD's which everyone interested in retail PC games will absolutley have, or 1 more expensive blu-ray that onlya subsection of those looking at retail PC games will own?

#6 Posted by GamerwillzPS (8531 posts) -

Sure, that would make sense. It also will save cash by not having to use multiple DVD discs.

Either way, digital distribution will dominate on PC.

#7 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

No. A more likely model is Diablo III's retail release, where you can just get a card with a code on it that you enter into Battle.net. With publishers inevitably using Steamworks or setting up their own Origin-like storefronts, this will keep inventory costs down, control theft and damage losses, and allow retailers to stock more games (including some they otherwise might not have) in less space.

If physical storage continues to be included, I could see Diablo III as a model again - include a playable version on the disc (or SD card), which continues to download the rest of the game in the background as you play.

#8 Posted by blackace (21319 posts) -

milannoir
PC already has Blu-Ray. Most of PC's retail is moving to digital downloads, so why would they need to put anything on Blu-Ray? Just about every software purchase can now be paid for online and just download to your PC. Resale value of PC games is crap or has DRM attached, so you can't even use the software once you've loaded it on your PC.
#9 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17275 posts) -

I still like my install files to be on disc even if it's a Steam game. So yeah. Move to Blu Ray already. It's much more resistant to scratches.

#10 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

PC .... Retail? :lol:

#11 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
does it matter?
#12 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9492 posts) -
Really no need. Most games are digital OR they are completely dumped onto the HDD unlike console games .
#13 Posted by Timstuff (26837 posts) -
No-one uses the disc once the game is installed anyway. I don't even buy PC games at retail anymore because Steam is too convenient and the pricing is much better.
#14 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2982 posts) -
If 720 and PS3 use it then it is a possibility as devs will move to lossless audio/cutscenes. While PC gamers install everything, having 5-6 DVDs for every game will be annoying. It also depends on how much internet speeds increase vs game size. If games start coming in at 30-40gb standard, then more people might move back to retail.
#15 Posted by yellonet (7768 posts) -

Doesn't matter much to me.

#16 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -
who the hell still buys PC games on retail?
#17 Posted by Plagueless (2569 posts) -
I don't really see the point until all the next-gen consoles release. The thing with PC games is, you can have 20 discs and it doesn't matter because it all just gets installed anyway. Blu-Ray isn't necessary for PC like it is for the consoles. But, just for the sake of progress, yes, they need to move. Just to push Blu-Ray as the new primary medium. We still have movies being released on DVD 6 years after Blu-Ray launched just because people refuse to switch. The HDTV adoption rate is to high now for this to be considered normal.
#18 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Completely pointless. DD is taking over

#19 Posted by MK-Professor (3892 posts) -

Blu Ray or not it wouldn't make any difference.

#20 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7607 posts) -
One good thing about the PC market is that is it determined partly by the consumer. If Blu-Ray sales far outweighed dvd drive sales then there will be a shift but if not it will stay the way it is.
#21 Posted by sSubZerOo (43899 posts) -
[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]If 720 and PS3 use it then it is a possibility as devs will move to lossless audio/cutscenes. While PC gamers install everything, having 5-6 DVDs for every game will be annoying. It also depends on how much internet speeds increase vs game size. If games start coming in at 30-40gb standard, then more people might move back to retail.

Its literally once in a blue moon that a game comes with more than one dvd for its install.. And I can't think of any game out there that goes beyond even 2 dvd's..
#22 Posted by PCgameruk (1512 posts) -

I got a blu-ray drive but i don't see the point for PC retail games anymore.

#23 Posted by Plagueless (2569 posts) -

I got a blu-ray drive but i don't see the point for PC retail games anymore.

PCgameruk
Lots of people sitll have dirt-slow internet speeds. I have a buddy who lives about 20 minutes from me and because of where he lives he's lucky to get 500 kbp/s download speeds.
#24 Posted by kraken2109 (13203 posts) -

Multiple DVDs are still cheaper.

#25 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2982 posts) -
[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]If 720 and PS3 use it then it is a possibility as devs will move to lossless audio/cutscenes. While PC gamers install everything, having 5-6 DVDs for every game will be annoying. It also depends on how much internet speeds increase vs game size. If games start coming in at 30-40gb standard, then more people might move back to retail.

Its literally once in a blue moon that a game comes with more than one dvd for its install.. And I can't think of any game out there that goes beyond even 2 dvd's..

That was with compressed audio and video though. With Next gen consoles adopting bluray (with disc being developed to go up 400gb and possibly 1TB that work with current players) they will likely switch to lossless, unless they just decide to continue compressing it for PC.
#26 Posted by Maroxad (8664 posts) -

who the hell still buys PC games on retail?BrunoBRS

*raises hand*

Retail is usually cheaper than DD here.

#27 Posted by sSubZerOo (43899 posts) -

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"][QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]If 720 and PS3 use it then it is a possibility as devs will move to lossless audio/cutscenes. While PC gamers install everything, having 5-6 DVDs for every game will be annoying. It also depends on how much internet speeds increase vs game size. If games start coming in at 30-40gb standard, then more people might move back to retail.APiranhaAteMyVa

That was with compressed audio and video though. With Next gen consoles adopting bluray (with disc being developed to go up 400gb and possibly 1TB that work with current players) they will likely switch to lossless, unless they just decide to continue compressing it for PC.

...... No one is going to want massive games installation on their pc in which we start seeing a extra 20 to 40 gb's of memory all for sound that may or may not be noticable to most people..

#28 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3186 posts) -

Even Apple doesn't believe in Blu Ray. It's useless unless you don't have a computer plugged into your T.V. Talk about living in the past.

#29 Posted by Zurrur (1701 posts) -

They should just remove the disc its useless, you can't play the games without full internet access anyway, its also much faster to just insert the code and download the game from internet

#30 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2982 posts) -

[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"] Its literally once in a blue moon that a game comes with more than one dvd for its install.. And I can't think of any game out there that goes beyond even 2 dvd's.. sSubZerOo

...... No one is going to want massive games installation on their pc in which we start seeing a extra 20 to 40 gb's of memory all for sound that may or may not be noticable to most people..

Well that depends what hard drive space becomes standard in the next 4-5 years. At the moment with the floods they still haven't come down much, but they will eventually and drive space will increase, 20-30gb will mean nothing at that point. Just like Apple currently debating whether to move to 24bit 96khz lossless downloads which will be 1gb per album compared to the 70-100mb they currently sell.
#31 Posted by McStrongfast (4277 posts) -
Optical drives are required for legacy support and things like Windows installs, and those are all on DVD's. The ones who buy blu-ray drives are people who use their PC's more like media centers I imagine. PC gamers aren't going to adopt that format to a significant enough degree, and revert back to buying retail games, where it makes sense for publishers to spend more money on production of a thing that's in the process of being phased out before it was even properly phased in to begin with. We skipped blu-ray and are going straight to digital. It's sad though, while discs and cases are kind of a hassle, it's nice to have a physical thing and an actual collection. Bigger sense of ownership, in a bunch of ways... I'd like to have the option for as long as possible.
#32 Posted by Ben-Buja (2767 posts) -

I do, the games are often cheaper here in retail than on steam. My download speed also sucks, so downloading huge games takes forever.

#33 Posted by radoman (297 posts) -

I could take it or leave it. I stream my movies and download my games.

#34 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17275 posts) -

[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]If 720 and PS3 use it then it is a possibility as devs will move to lossless audio/cutscenes. While PC gamers install everything, having 5-6 DVDs for every game will be annoying. It also depends on how much internet speeds increase vs game size. If games start coming in at 30-40gb standard, then more people might move back to retail.sSubZerOo

:lol: He He He.

Flight Simulator X Deluxe have 2 DVDs, 3 if it's the Gold Edition. X-Plane has 6 DVDs total if scenery for the whole world is installed. Of course I want the whole world.....It costs me 78 Gb though.

xplane9discs.jpg

#35 Posted by Ben-Buja (2767 posts) -

[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]If 720 and PS3 use it then it is a possibility as devs will move to lossless audio/cutscenes. While PC gamers install everything, having 5-6 DVDs for every game will be annoying. It also depends on how much internet speeds increase vs game size. If games start coming in at 30-40gb standard, then more people might move back to retail.sSubZerOo

Plenty games are using more than 1 DVD now.

Black Ops 2, Hitman Absolution, Guild Wars 2, Batman Arkham City, Max Payne 3 (Is on 3 DVDs), BF3... Just to name a few.

#36 Posted by NoodleFighter (7822 posts) -

ukspend.jpg

#37 Posted by ArchoNils2 (6238 posts) -

I guess those who are modern enough to own BR drives are also those that get most digitally. I'd say it's to early to go BR only now and if, then only games that have above average requirements. I don't see a point in selling the next Sims add-on on BR only. Also using a BR for anything that fits on an ordinary DVD wouldn't make much sense

#38 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
It's time to completely switch to DD. No reason to take a step back with Blu-Ray.
#39 Posted by milannoir (1570 posts) -

[QUOTE="milannoir"]

blackace

PC already has Blu-Ray. Most of PC's retail is moving to digital downloads, so why would they need to put anything on Blu-Ray? Just about every software purchase can now be paid for online and just download to your PC. Resale value of PC games is crap or has DRM attached, so you can't even use the software once you've loaded it on your PC.

Thanks for understanding what I was implying. Retail is a thing of the past for PC gaming. We are used to downloading most of our games directly to our hard drives already.

#40 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Why? It's a waste of media when it's either fully installed to HDD, or downloaded directly to HDD. Blu-ray is not necessary for gaming in the age of dirt cheap hard disks and digital distribution.
#41 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17275 posts) -

2314201924.png

I usually get Download around 25-30 Mb/s if my kid isn't home. She is home though right now. Knowing her, she probably has 20-40 browser tabs plus multiple chat lines open.

With these numbers, downloading games will take an awfully long time. Hence, I like disc-based installs better.

#42 Posted by Jebus213 (8920 posts) -
Why? That's stupid. We have DD and more games don't even require the disk to be in your drive to start up....
#43 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]who the hell still buys PC games on retail?Ben-Buja

I do, the games are often cheaper here in retail than on steam. My download speed also sucks, so downloading huge games takes forever.

Making those videos and uploading to youtube must be a right pain if your interent is bad then.

I would love to upload gaming vids or similar to youtube constantly but my internet holds me back a LOT

#44 Posted by Ben-Buja (2767 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]who the hell still buys PC games on retail?seanmcloughlin

Making those videos and uploading to youtube must be a right pain if your interent is bad then.

I would love to upload gaming vids or similar to youtube constantly but my internet holds me back a LOT

Yeah, uploading a video can take a couple of hours... I'm moving soon though and I'll get much faster internet there.

#45 Posted by PcGamingRig (7139 posts) -

only for less CDs, there is no other benefit. PS3 just uses it for the storage space but you can get a bigger HDD in a PS3 anyway, lol

#46 Posted by BrunoBRS (73263 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

Ben-Buja

Yeah, uploading a video can take a couple of hours... I'm moving soon though and I'll get much faster internet there.

i can download a 10GB game in less than 5 hours. i can't upload a 1080p video in less than a day :cry:
#47 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

lol i havnt bought a retail pc game in like 5 years. its ok, you consolites will eventually enter the future where us pc gamers buy all our stuff digitally.

#48 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

lol i havnt bought a retail pc game in like 5 years. its ok, you consolites will eventually enter the future where us pc gamers buy all our stuff digitally.

Rage010101
You mean like Sony is already doing?
#49 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10765 posts) -
ME!
#50 Posted by Bebi_vegeta (13558 posts) -

2314201924.png

I usually get Download around 25-30 Mb/s if my kid isn't home. She is home though right now. Knowing her, she probably has 20-40 browser tabs plus multiple chat lines open.

With these numbers, downloading games will take an awfully long time. Hence, I like disc-based installs better.

jun_aka_pekto

Browswer tabs and chat lines don't take that much speed... There's obviously someone downloading.