Is it safe to say Yoshi's New Island is gonna bomb on GS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts

This is just the preview and Tom is already whining so much. Seriously, I'll just say it again, how can someone rip-off their own work from the past?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64039 Posts

He's not reviewing it. Usually preview guy=/= review guy. Might be wrong, but that's usually how these have worked out. Even if they did slam it so what? It's not exactly some ridiculous opinion to be bothered by Nintendo doing more of the same shit.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Why does the Snes original still look so much better? That looks hideous.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Maybe?

As long as footage of the game shows that it isn't as lame as the DS game, then I really do not care if GS doesn't give the game a really high score.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lordlors

@jg4xchamp said:

He's not reviewing it. Usually preview guy=/= review guy. Might be wrong, but that's usually how these have worked out. Even if they did slam it so what? It's not exactly some ridiculous opinion to be bothered by Nintendo doing more of the same shit.

Instead of spouting your own opinions and your own feelings towards Nintendo, one should look at a game from different perspectives and angles. When you put your own feelings towards a review, it doesn't feel journalism anymore. It's shit.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

It's going to flop everywhere. I have yet to read a preview that liked it very much. The kindest thing said so far is that it's better than the DS game, which is faint praise at best.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lordlors
@Randolph said:

It's going to flop everywhere. I have yet to read a preview that liked it very much. The kindest thing said so far is that it's better than the DS game, which is faint praise at best.

I wasn't really following this game at all. Last time I've heard about it was last year's E3. lol I was surprised it's gonna be another rehash similar to NSMB2. Oh well.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jg4xchamp

@lordlors said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Instead of spouting your own opinions and your own feelings towards Nintendo, one should look at a game from different perspectives and angles. When you put your own feelings towards a review, it doesn't feel journalism anymore. It's shit.

A review isn't journalism. It's a critique. It's an opinion. Pretending there is anything super objective to it when it's really a reflection of a person's thoughts on a piece of entertainment is straight up ignorance of how reviews have been like in entertainment for gee I don't know, the last 3 to 4 decades? If you want a product review, don't read gamespot. It's that simple. Plus critical pieces wouldn't fall under journalism, it be much closer to being a columnist. Which in the 21st century actually are two different things.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

It's safe to say this game lost all hype for it when they revealed it was being done by the same people that did the DS game

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Hopefully it does bomb, then Nintendo can actually start rolling out the IP's that matter.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 DJ-Lafleur

@Shinobishyguy said:

It's safe to say this game lost all hype for it when they revealed it was being done by the same people that did the DS game

Damn, I do forget that fact sometimes. :(

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordlors
@jg4xchamp said:

@lordlors said:

@jg4xchamp said:

A review isn't journalism. It's a critique. It's an opinion. Pretending there is anything super objective to it when it's really a reflection of a person's thoughts on a piece of entertainment is straight up ignorance of how reviews have been like in entertainment for gee I don't know, the last 3 to 4 decades? If you want a product review, don't read gamespot. It's that simple. Plus critical pieces wouldn't fall under journalism, it be much closer to being a columnist.

At least in the past, there doesn't seem to be too much emotions involved as far as I can remember. Thoughts are essential but feelings towards a specific game or a specific series should be kept under control. I don't really much care from what site a review comes from. I tend to visit genre specific review sites like adventuregamers and rpgamer. When it comes to GS, it's more about the reviewer which goes to show how much it has become personal for GS reviews. If it's IGN you wouldn't care much who's reviewing it. It may be a good thing or a bad thing.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

That preview looked awful.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46445 Posts

I really don't care about GS reviews anymore. The quality of their last ones (Thief, DKC, Rambo) was laughable.

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Why does the Snes original still look so much better? That looks hideous.

Yeah, they really seem to have messed up the artstyle. It's a shame when the SNES and DS counterparts look better than the 3DS one.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jg4xchamp

@lordlors said:
@jg4xchamp said:

@lordlors said:

@jg4xchamp said:

A review isn't journalism. It's a critique. It's an opinion. Pretending there is anything super objective to it when it's really a reflection of a person's thoughts on a piece of entertainment is straight up ignorance of how reviews have been like in entertainment for gee I don't know, the last 3 to 4 decades? If you want a product review, don't read gamespot. It's that simple. Plus critical pieces wouldn't fall under journalism, it be much closer to being a columnist.

At least in the past, there doesn't seem to be too much emotions involved as far as I can remember. Thoughts are essential but feelings towards a specific game or a specific series should be kept under control. I don't really much care from what site a review comes from. I tend to visit genre specific review sites like adventuregamers and rpgamer. When it comes to GS, it's more about the reviewer which goes to show how much it has become personal for GS reviews. If it's IGN you wouldn't care much who's reviewing it. It may be a good thing or a bad thing.

That's fine, and if you want more of what you like from a source, go there. But there is nothing wrong with this medium actually having a range of thoughts and opinions. Every other medium does, and they have a better group of critics for it. This medium albeit is still very much in its diapers, could benefit from having some critics actually did act like they were tired of the same old same old. Because hearing "Nintendo has done it again, they just keep turning water into wine because they are what Jesus Christ would be like if he was like Superman without the kryptonite weakness" is several layers of vomit inducing hoetry.

lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 lordlors
@jg4xchamp said:

@lordlors said:
@jg4xchamp said:

@lordlors said:

@jg4xchamp said:

That's fine, and if you want more of what you like from a source, go there. But there is nothing wrong with this medium actually having a range of thoughts and opinions. Every other medium does, and they have a better group of critics for it. This medium albeit is still very much in its diapers, could benefit from having some critics actually did act like they were tired of the same old same old. Because hearing "Nintendo has done it again, they just keep turning water into wine because they are what Jesus Christ would be like if he was like Superman without the kryptonite weakness" is several layers of vomit inducing hoetry.

I'm not talking about Nintendo. If it's just another rehash then it is. I wasn't even following this game anyway. Critics should use thoughts more and feelings less when they review a product. That's what I'm saying. If it's the same old formula then it is no matter how you feel about the game. Praising a game even though it's got nothing new because of your feelings towards it is also not good.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Game never appealed to me much, nor did the franchise. I wouldn't be surprised if it bombed.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#18 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

Tom whining? What?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

ouch...

damn man...the game looks fun to me.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

@Shinobishyguy: What was wrong with the DS one? I never bought it but it didnt look bad at all

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I don't have much faith in this game at all. The original Yoshi's Island is still one of the best platformers ever made. Unfortunately they've never made a Yoshi game after that that was anything more than mediocre. Not even the direct sequel Yoshi's Island DS was very good and I believe the same developers are making this one.

ratchet_usa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 ratchet_usa
Member since 2005 • 376 Posts

@lordlors: It is a nintendo game, of course it will Flop. The nostalgia factor can only take you so far.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Is there anyone here that is even hyped for this game? Even a little?

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

If you learn how to read between the lines of previews, you can tell most gaming sites weren't too impressed with this. Unless Nintendo's pulling our leg and holding back a bunch of exciting levels, this seems like its going to end up in the 6-7 territory. That said, the original Yoshi's Island is my favorite 2D platformer ever, so I'll end up getting this at some point.

I just hope it has the touch fuzzy levels, but after the whole druggie debacle, I doubt they'd include them.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

There's chance it might.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DJ-Lafleur

@Capitan_Kid said:

@Shinobishyguy: What was wrong with the DS one? I never bought it but it didnt look bad at all

The level design was not as impressive and I didn't care much for the baby-switching feature. The visuals and music were both worse and a bit too cartoony for my likes. they added a dumb story, and I would have actually much preferred them keep as simple as they did in the original.

The game itself wasn't terrible, but compared to the original it is very disappointing and mediocre.

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Talk about ruining a classic. Another game trying to hit on the nostalgic factor.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

@Ballroompirate said:

Hopefully it does bomb, then Nintendo can actually start rolling out the IP's that matter.

What are the IPs that matter?

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ballroompirate

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Star Fox, Fire Emblem and LoZ, everything else is irrelevant.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

This honestly looks really really annoying. As annoying as Tom's stupid voice. It's been done. Better. Many times. On steam for £5. Take the yoshi and mario out of it and come up with two new characters and nobody cares about it.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

Nintendo needs to stop murdering it's classic franchises, Yoshi's island was the best platformer they had and now they've fucked it up.

Avatar image for Jolt_counter119
Jolt_counter119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jolt_counter119
Member since 2010 • 4226 Posts

Looks like Yoshi's Island to me. And I usually don't take tom's opinions very seriously, he is probably the most subjective reviewer on this site, he'll contradict everything he said in this preview in a future one or review. Skyward Sword somewhat tries to be different "I want it to be like the nes one!!"

Whatever, horrible preview aside (really what was the point of that, basically didn't say anything besides hit shitty monologue) I wasn't really excited about this game anyways, I didn't really think the original or the DS game were that great.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shinobishyguy

@ReadingRainbow4: you say that like nintendo is murdering franchises left and right

*protip* they aren't

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ReadingRainbow4

@Shinobishyguy said:

@ReadingRainbow4: you say that like nintendo is murdering franchises left and right

*protip* they aren't

Nintendo is certainly lowering their value. There was a time when a new Mario game was an OMFG moment, now that's not the case as evident from fucking Knack beating it over the head and throwing it in a dumpster, Knack. lol. Mario just isn't a block buster commercial hit like it used to be anymore, the same thing goes for DKC.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Shinobishyguy

@ReadingRainbow4: that has nothing to do with mario's quality. That's like calling wii fit the best game ever because it sold so much but we all know that's not the case

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

*protip* they aren't

Nintendo is certainly lowering their value. There was a time when a new Mario game was an OMFG moment, now that's not the case as evident from fucking Knack beating it over the head and throwing it in a dumpster, Knack. lol. Mario just isn't a block buster commercial hit like it used to be anymore.

Super Mario 3D World was the best Mario game that Nintendo has ever made, though. Knack only beat it in the UK.

Nintendo really should probably give the full-priced 2D platformers a break or something, though.

IMAHAPYHIPPO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 IMAHAPYHIPPO
Member since 2004 • 4197 Posts

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

*protip* they aren't

Nintendo is certainly lowering their value. There was a time when a new Mario game was an OMFG moment, now that's not the case as evident from fucking Knack beating it over the head and throwing it in a dumpster, Knack. lol. Mario just isn't a block buster commercial hit like it used to be anymore, the same thing goes for DKC.

That's if you consider sales the biggest contributing factor to the quality of a game. You should be more concerned with how enjoyable a game is, rather than how many people other than yourself are buying it.

ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ReadingRainbow4

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

*protip* they aren't

Nintendo is certainly lowering their value. There was a time when a new Mario game was an OMFG moment, now that's not the case as evident from fucking Knack beating it over the head and throwing it in a dumpster, Knack. lol. Mario just isn't a block buster commercial hit like it used to be anymore.

Super Mario 3D World was the best Mario game that Nintendo has ever made, though. Knack only beat it in the UK.

Nintendo really should probably give the full-priced 2D platformers a break or something, though.

I have a hard time believing that.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shinobishyguy

@ReadingRainbow4: it's right up there with the galaxy games at the very least.

Now if you want to shift goal posts from quality to sales that a whole different ballpark that you'll find yourself alone in

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 93BlackHawk93

@Ballroompirate said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

Star Fox, Fire Emblem and LoZ, everything else is irrelevant.

Your opinion, but being relevant or not is a matter of facts.

If we are talking logically and with preferences aside, not even all of those combined top Mario's relevance.

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Shinobishyguy said:

*protip* they aren't

I have a hard time believing that.

If you doubt the game's quality and don't want or have the time to play it, check its scores and fan reception.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#42 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

@g0ddyX said:

Talk about ruining a classic. Another game trying to hit on the nostalgic factor.

Like you at one point even cared for Nintendo...

vincent380

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 vincent380
Member since 2003 • 2244 Posts

Nothing about this game looks appealing. It looks awful too.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Ballroompirate

@93BlackHawk93:

Sorry but Mario is crap and is drastically over done as much as CoD, in fact Mario is the definition of a milked franchise. Also the matter of fact you think Mario has more relevance than LoZ....lol that's classic and is up there with one of the stupidest thing's I've ever heard here in SW.

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By 93BlackHawk93

@Ballroompirate said:

@93BlackHawk93:

Sorry but Mario is crap and is drastically over done as much as CoD, in fact Mario is the definition of a milked franchise. Also the matter of fact you think Mario has more relevance than LoZ....lol that's classic and is up there with one of the stupidest thing's I've ever heard here in SW.

I see your preferences surpass your common sense. What you said sounds like an opinion without argument to me (except the CoD and milked thing).

http://classicgames.about.com/od/consoleandhandheldgames/p/Super-Mario-Bros-The-Game-That-Saved-Video-Games.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_game_franchises

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/super-mario-series-from-best-to-worst

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ballroompirate

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@93BlackHawk93:

I see your preferences surpass your common sense.

http://classicgames.about.com/od/consoleandhandheldgames/p/Super-Mario-Bros-The-Game-That-Saved-Video-Games.htm

I see your ignorance knows no bounds

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By 93BlackHawk93

@Ballroompirate said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@93BlackHawk93:

Care to elaborate? Do you even know what being relevant means?

As much as I love Zelda (I like it more than Mario), you can't deny Mario is bigger and is more important to gaming than it.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ballroompirate

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@93BlackHawk93:

As much as I love Zelda (I like it more than Mario), you can't deny Mario is bigger than it.

Bigger does not mean better, with that logic that means no other FPS can be as good as CoD. People will buy a name brand just cause it has a popular name/brand on it amongst many other reasons (there's literally dozens of reasons why people do this). Example, Final Fantasy 13 has sold 5.5+ million units, does it make it one of the best FF games? (answer is: hell no), same thing with RE6 which sold over 5 million, people will buy a game just cause it has -insert famous game series- on the cover.

The next Mario game could have him and Luigi club baby animals while kicking Toad off a building while we see Peach drink 40's while dancing and people would still buy it regardless. Mario fans will never admit how stale the series is getting cause they have nostalgia up to their eyelids. I give mad props to the LoZ devs/team for actually making each LoZ game look different each game, while we have had the same looking Mario for how long?

Ask yourself what is the highest rated game of all time (answer is: LoZ OoT) which will most likely never be beaten, what series defined a genre? (answer is: LoZ)

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 93BlackHawk93

@Ballroompirate said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@93BlackHawk93 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@93BlackHawk93:

As much as I love Zelda (I like it more than Mario), you can't deny Mario is bigger than it.

Bigger does not mean better, with that logic that means no other FPS can be as good as CoD. People will buy a name brand just cause it has a popular name/brand on it amongst many other reasons (there's literally dozens of reasons why people do this). Example, Final Fantasy 13 has sold 5.5+ million units, does it make it one of the best FF games? (answer is: hell no), same thing with RE6 which sold over 5 million, people will buy a game just cause it has -insert famous game series- on the cover.

The next Mario game could have him and Luigi club baby animals while kicking Toad off a building while we see Peach drink 40's while dancing and people would still buy it regardless. Mario fans will never admit how stale the series is getting cause they have nostalgia up to their eyelids. I give mad props to the LoZ devs/team for actually making each LoZ game look different each game, while we have had the same looking Mario for how long?

Ask yourself what is the highest rated game of all time (answer is: LoZ OoT) which will most likely never be beaten, what series defined a genre? (answer is: LoZ)

I never said bigger meant better, I know Zelda is better scorewise. And you call Mario stale after SMG/2 and SM3DW (which actually recieved a lot of flack even by me in its 1st reveal)? Mario has also defined and created a genre.

Good thing you like change for Zelda since most of its stupid fanbase wants TLoZ:OoT2 and throw bs everytime a new one is announced since TLoZ:MM.