Is it normal to forget what happened in the games you played / finished?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

For example, I cannot, for love or money, remember what happened towards the end of Half-Life 2??? I just have some random disjointed recollections from various levels and that's that, some things I remember very sharply, and some not at all...Do you think this happens over time regardless of the game's quality? Just like the memories of games' plots tend to get blurry / fuzzy in my head after some considerable time and I wouldn't be able to recap properly or tell anyone else what precisely happened without glancing at some wikipedia entry or review.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts
Yeah, sometimes. It helps if I replay them, of course.
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

I think it just happens over time, FFX is one of my favourite games yet I've pretty much forgotten like 40% of it.

[spoiler] Come on Square, FFX HD do it. [/spoiler]

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

No it's not normal to forget about ...

Wait a second. 

What were we talking about again?

Do you have any problems with your memory? Well, what about your memory?

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

I hope its normal because i'm horrible at remembering what happened in games i played a while ago, i keep a general idea, but specifics are lost very soon after i stop playing it.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Happens to me all the time. Sometimes I'll begin to say something about an older game that I liked but when I go to actually describe something I cannot recall anything specific. It is strange that it happens to me because with most things I have a crazy good memory. I'm one of those people who can read through their notes once before a test and ace whereas people who studied for 8 hours will do worse than me.
50u1r34v3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 50u1r34v3r
Member since 2006 • 1560 Posts

Thank god, I'm not the only one :lol:

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

Guess its normal.. happens to me quite a lot specially when it comes to games i played 3+ years ago...

When i replay games, i pass through sections that i've completely forgot :P

Recent example was SOTC, i was so sure it would be easy to go through all of the colossi but damn i did forget many of the tricks on how to handle most of them :)

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15561 Posts

Isn't this just normal?

Unless the piece in question really resonates with you in some way, I highly doubt you'll remember every detail. Can you say you remember every part of every classic book or movie? Do you remember the lyrics to every song you ever enjoyed?

50u1r34v3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 50u1r34v3r

Guess its normal.. happens to me quite a lot specially when it comes to games i played 3+ years ago...

Recent example was SOTC, i was so sure it would be easy to go through all of the colossi but damn i did forget many of the tricks on how to handle most of them :)

Malta_1980

Hahaha, I have had the same problem. The strange thing is, I often replay old games and remember certain secrets / puzzles from games that I haven't played for over 10 years :P

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#12 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts
yeah it's normal. I forget the plot in games all the time.
Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

50u1r34v3r

Hahaha, I have had the same problem. The strange thing is, I often replay old games and remember certain secrets / puzzles from games that I haven't played for over 10 years :P

Yep, i still remember stuff on games i played back on my Sega MegaDrive & Amiga but then I forget things i played on games 3-4yrs ago :)

Guess I'm getting old and my memory is playing tricks on me hehe

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Never remember, only do when a game really resonates with me, but even then it's only a matter of time before I forget. Which makes playing games seem kind of pointless and futile. Sometimes I'll just forget that I played a game at all.

50u1r34v3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 50u1r34v3r

[QUOTE="50u1r34v3r"]

[QUOTE="Malta_1980"]

Malta_1980

Yep, i still remember stuff on games i played back on my Sega MegaDrive & Amiga but then I forget things i played on games 3-4yrs ago :)

Guess I'm getting old and my memory is playing tricks on me hehe

No tricks, my mind doesn't play tricks on me, just games :P

travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Never remember, only do when a game really resonates with me, but even then it's only a matter of time before I forget. Which makes playing games seem kind of pointless and futile. Sometimes I'll just forget that I played a game at all.

balfe1990
Your rig specs sure are nice. On the topic, I forget games all of the time. Chrono Trigger/Cross are two of my favorite games and I've forgotten certain parts even though I've beat both multiple times.
BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Gaming stoned is tons of fun at the moment of gaming itself, but you wont have many fond memories about the games you played.

50u1r34v3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 50u1r34v3r

Gaming stoned is tons of fun at the moment of gaming itself, but you wont have many fond memories about the games you played.

BlbecekBobecek

I stopped playing stoned a few years ago.

I woke up one morning after a night of playing stoned with ALL my Ninja Gaiden Black Master Ninja save games gone.

Apparently I though Master Ninja was too hard while stoned and figured I should start over on Ninja Dog and use up all my save slots, just to be sure. :(

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#19 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

I think that's a good thing sometimes.

You think you remember the game fully, but then something comes up that you don't remember and you get to experience that all over again.

It's a great feeling.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

It's perfectly natural, man, f*ck, i barely remember what i did all year.

Time flies so damn fast these days.  

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#21 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

Playing RE4 again last year i could remember very little. It was kinda like playing a new game, so its cool :)

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts
It's nothing. Not only do I not remember what the f*ck happened at then end of HL2 (or the entire game, for that matter), I sometimes forget I own MGS4, a game I own two copies of.
Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

ill never final fantasy ix ending <333

samme-mejias-image-lair-zidane-garnet-fi

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4polIfatp4esE3tMlduc

Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Yeah, I can't remember anything from R&C 1, 3, Deadlocked. I remember not liking them, but I can't recall why I don't or anything about them.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I do that too.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts

Depends if the game was good, or if its plot was worthy of note. 

I don't tend to forget much about games, or films, or anything really. Except stuff that actually matters, of course.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
It's normal. You mostly use working memory and short term memory in daily activity In order for you to remember something aka store it within your long term memory, you need to spend a certain amount of time with it, and try to recall it multiple times later.
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
Absolutely, I mostly spoil my games through YT Vids even before i've even opened it. And then after a month i completely forget what was the ending and enjoy the game like i always do.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts
Sometimes if I dont finsih a game and take a break from it, I have to start it over to know what to do and get used to the controls..lol
2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts
I remember films i watch quite well, and great ones stick with me for years. However I literally almost never remember anything about games I play, so it's obviously because I just "don't care" more than my inability to recall. In fact, quite often - if the game allows me to I will just not pay attention to the story at all - no way to recall something you never payed attention to in the first place :LOL. Also I have hardly ever gone back and "replayed" old games, I'm sure some things about the levels/layouts would hit me as I was replaying the game - and for games I actually did pay attention to I'm sure I would remember bits of the story (if not the ending) as I played along. But I really don't sit there and spend any time at all "reflecting" on games I played, and if i tried too I probably wouldn't remember much anyway without actually firing the game up and getting into it again.
Avatar image for crippledmachine
crippledmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 crippledmachine
Member since 2013 • 256 Posts

Of course it's normal. Happens to me too. If you want to recover the lost memories of what happened in the games you like, you can replay them.

Our brain can't remember everything.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#32 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

It's perfectly natural, man, f*ck, i barely remember what i did all year.

Time flies so damn fast these days.

Lucianu

time is flying isn't it

dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

I was just thinking about this the other day. Of the hundred or so games that I have played this gen, I can only remeber a handful of them. Even those I remember, I still only recall bits and pieces. As for Half Life 2, I am not sure how it ended because it wasn't all that memorable. Portal 2 on the other hand had one of the best and most memorable endings.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

Of course it's normal, most of your gaming experiences won't be overly memorable or leave a strong enough impression to be stored in the long-term memory.

The day analogy works well, as some already said. There'll be days you'll end up remembering for years to come, and there'll be days you'll forget very quickly...

Agent-Tojed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Agent-Tojed
Member since 2012 • 160 Posts

Of course, even when the game is memorable. One of my most replayed games is Jak 2, and I have no f*cking clue what happens during the middle of it.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts
it happens to me way to often, unfortunately. i could be sitting down getting ready to do something on my pc, get distracted, go back to what i was initially going to do and totally forget..i think there is something wrong with me though, since alzheimers runs in the family.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Much more smaller and minor parts/details in games i can forget, yes. I can remember a decent amount of stuff about any game though, assuming I liked it and played it to completion. 

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#38 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

I usually have a really good memory but sometimes I just forget what happens then a few hours later I remember but sometimes not when I want to remember.

A trick I have is think of a song while I'm experiencing it and/or learning it (School) and then when I need to remember that information I just recall the song that I was thinking of and I remember what I have to remember.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

50u1r34v3r

I woke up one morning after a night of playing stoned with ALL my Ninja Gaiden Black Master Ninja save games gone.

Apparently I though Master Ninja was too hard while stoned and figured I should start over on Ninja Dog and use up all my save slots, just to be sure. :(

Those days I tried to be high all the time are long gone, but I remember playing DotA with friends high all the time. I never remembered much but when I watched the replays I actually did pretty well :D

fadersdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 fadersdream
Member since 2006 • 3154 Posts

Depends on the Game.

I remember the Bioshock series really well.

BUT...

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 I remember all of, and Battlefield 3 I can remember maybe two scenes from.

I haven't a clue what happened in Modern Warfare 2, and had to Wiki it to know anything that is going on in MW3.

Valkyria Chronicles I took a two year break from and it all came back to me.

No clue what the hell Killzone is about.

Borderlands... no idea.

SingularityI remember really well, and Demons Souls.

Uncharted I fought a guy in swat gear and a bunch of yetis... I have no idea why.

50u1r34v3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 50u1r34v3r

[QUOTE="50u1r34v3r"]

[QUOTE="BlbecekBobecek"]

BlbecekBobecek

Those days I tried to be high all the time are long gone, but I remember playing DotA with friends high all the time. I never remembered much but when I watched the replays I actually did pretty well :D

I guess it depends on the genre but I swore off playing stoned all together, just to avoid a future NGB type of screw up. :P
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

It depends on the game, really. Some games have experiences that truly stick out (like Dragon Age: Origins, The Witcher 2, etc.). But, for me, I really don't remember everything about the video games that I play - someone has mentioned it already, but a lot of the details that go by are held in our short term memories, rather than our long term ones. 

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

I always thought about it as something normal. That's why I never sell games I like a lot because after a few years I play them again and it's almost like playing them for the first time.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I've got an awful memory. It's frustrating sometimes.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
I forget crap that happened yesterday, don't worry about it.
AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Depends on the game. I tend to remember a lot of things on games, or at least what I think I remember about them.

Still though, if they are awful or generic, I tend to not retain nearly as much in comparison.

Genre wise, FPSes are a major offender of this no matter how special they are.

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

When I really like games I find it hard to forget no matter even if I played them only a single time.

You might just not like Half Life, or you might just be forgetful.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Story wise I can barely remember any of HL2 myself. Now if I were to play the game right now, I would remember every puzzle, trap, and might have glimpses of the story when I come to them. Otherwise story, level names and all the less technical stuff are normally fairly blurred.

Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#49 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

If they're not very memorable, yeah. I guess that goes without saying.

jake44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 jake44
Member since 2003 • 2085 Posts

I've played around 400 games in my life....you tend to forgot a few after awhile lol.