Is it a bad time to buy a PC now?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by GarGx1 (2426 posts) -

@@There will always be new hardware just around the corner so no point in quibbling about it, if you want to upgrade go for it, if not then wait a bit longer.

I've upgraded most of mine at the end of last year but I'm leaving my graphics card until this years chips come rolling out. My GTX 590 can soldier on for a while longer.

Went from an i5 2500k on a Z77 Mobo with 8Gb RAM (1600) to an i7 4770k on a Z87 mobo and 16Gb RAM (2400), not overclocked anything yet but I suppose the legit question would be, Have I noticed a difference? Absolutely not! but then again I don't really care, I had an itch to scratch ;)

#52 Posted by Rage010101 (5470 posts) -

Wouldn't even think about it until I start seeing some games to justify it. Where are the exclusives??

lol if joking. Face palm and fail if serious.

#53 Posted by lostrib (33438 posts) -

It's always a shitty time if youre just going to hook it up to a shitty LCD monitor with shitty speakers and no subwoofer

You keep telling yourself that

#54 Edited by NFJSupreme (5131 posts) -

Right now I'd say wait. Cards are too expensive right now because of miners. It sucks because cards that were going for $300 this same time last year and as low as $180 over the summer are selling for $450. If you can wait I say wait. If you can't wait dare I say get a PS4 instead? Eventually the prices will drop but right now they are clearly marketing GPUs to miners and inflating the prices because of miners who will gladly pay extra because these cards are capital to them and not for play. It sucks but this unforeseen mining craze (or maybe people predicted it) has me telling people to hold off on building a rig right now if they want to get the most bang for their buck. Now if money is not an issue to you then by all means build a bad ass rig. What have you been waiting for?

Also I wouldn't concern yourself with running "next gen" multiplats. Any modern gaming rig that you invest $600 to $1000 dollars in will easily best next gen consoles and will have you running multiplats at a higher level than the PSOne for their entire generation. So don't concern yourself with running console games. MS and Sony did PC gaming a HUGE favor by starting a new console generation with relatively weak hardware. You don't need to go out buy a $600 GPU just to compete with consoles at the start of this gen like last gen. Midranged hardware will be just fine this time around. The high end stuff is simply for those who want to be on the bleeding edge.

#55 Posted by roulettethedog (10946 posts) -

It is always a bad time to buy a P.C. Is it a bad time to buy P.C. parts and build a machine? NO.

#56 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -

There 's always new tech right around the corner,

There will always be new tech right around the corner.

#57 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4142 posts) -

yes. its a good time.

i recommend posting a budget, and what you goal is in the pc hardware thread. really helpful dudes there, well, they are pc gamers after all.

#58 Posted by Snugenz (11740 posts) -

i would wait until DDR4 Motherboards come out.

I'd wait till they're out a while before i go near DDR4 give it time for the bugs and insane manufacturing costs to clear before changing over.

As for the TC's question as others have said there's never a bad time.

#59 Posted by IgGy621985 (4605 posts) -

There's never a bad time to buy a brand new PC or upgrade existing one. You could wait for DDR4 MBOs, but then again, you don't have to.

Basically, PC hardware has peaked, so hardware manufacturers probably won't offer anything noteworthy this year except the technology will be smaller and somewhat faster. But Core i7 will always be Core i7, regardless of the year it was manufactured.

You might want to check AMD's Kaveri APU.

#60 Posted by bezza2011 (2321 posts) -

The worst thing you did in this topic was you said doing next gen CHEAP, i'm sorry but any true pc gamer, knows that to stay with the times and esp heading into proper pc NEXT GEN your going to have to spend big, and from what seems like it, is next gen cpu's and graphics cards are on their way and your best waiting till summer or maybe christmas and buy big, because you need to build a machine which will be future proof, and the fact is, if you only want visuals like the ps4 and xbox one you might aswel buy them, but if you want better you need to spend more, oculous rift is going to take alot of power from pc's so you need to build a rig which is $1000+ to really feel the benefit of being a pc gamer

#62 Edited by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

There 's always new tech right around the corner, but atm there seems to be unusually many things on the the horizon. G-sync, Oculus Rift, Steam Machines+SteamOS, Mantle, Windows 9. There are no full next-gen mutliplats out yet, so it's hard to know exactly how powerful PC you need to dominate next-gen gaming for cheap. Finally I wonder if the console architecture (shared memory pool) will become more common on PC and how that will affect cost/performance.

Anyway would you say this is a risky time to invest in PC-gaming and it's better to hold on for a year or so, when we should have a much clearer picture of some of these things?

1. I would pay zero attention to windows 9. It may or may not be relevant to gaming.

2. I have an Oculus Rift dev kit now and it works on my $700 pc.

3. Just dont buy top of the line because the price curve goes up quickly near the top tier. mid range to above mid range is more than enough to last you 3 years.

#63 Edited by bbkkristian (14917 posts) -

I think right now is probably the best time to get a gaming PC: tax returns!

#64 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23435 posts) -

i'm not going to sweat new shyt coming out.

if you do that you will never get started because there is always something on the horizon.

although with that being said i was going to build a new one last fall but put if off until this coming fall because i wanted to see if any 2014 games were going to benefit from anything special and for prices on some components i specifically wanted to drop.

#65 Edited by Ripsaw1994 (94 posts) -

A decent PC is still the best gaming device on the market in terms of power and graphical performance, and you'll end up saving money from Steam Sale but it kinda depends on what you want in a gaming machine.

#66 Edited by MiiiiV (299 posts) -

It's never a bad time to build a pc. But I wouldn't do it when a new generation of graphics cards are like a month away. In that case I think it's wiser to wait an extra month for the new GPU's or price drops on existing models. But that's not the case today. Go for it! :)

#67 Edited by -Unreal- (24535 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

it's hard to know exactly how powerful PC you need to dominate next-gen gaming for cheap.

I keep seeing this shit over and over again.

If you buy a PC that's a good bit more powerful than a console, it's going to remain more powerful than the console. The console doesn't gain anything over time. There is no secret sauce. If you want a PC that can outperform a console, it isn't hard to know how powerful you need it to be. What it comes down to is the developer's ability or intention of making a worthy and functional PC game. A game that performs as well as it can on PC hardware will perform similarly to the console on comparable specs.

#68 Edited by Eddie-Vedder (7776 posts) -

It's never a bad time, but the beginning of a new gen is def among the worst.

#69 Edited by EndlessInfinity (219 posts) -

@-Unreal- said:

@Sushiglutton said:

it's hard to know exactly how powerful PC you need to dominate next-gen gaming for cheap.

I keep seeing this shit over and over again.

If you buy a PC that's a good bit more powerful than a console, it's going to remain more powerful than the console. The console doesn't gain anything over time. There is no secret sauce. If you want a PC that can outperform a console, it isn't hard to know how powerful you need it to be. What it comes down to is the developer's ability or intention of making a worthy and functional PC game. A game that performs as well as it can on PC hardware will perform similarly to the console on comparable specs.

#70 Posted by Zaraxius (205 posts) -

...The PC gamer bristled his neckbeard in approval. He called up to his mother who was working hard on providing for her 30 year old son and herself, "Fundie bitch, I won't be up for dinner tonight." He grimaced. "Just bring my Doritos and Mountain Dew down here."

He saw a console gamer who clearly would've rather been dead than to hear such news: "Darn it, that would've been cool to have on consoles. Oh well, enjoy PC gamers," the console gamer said before signing off to workout at the gym and later hang out with friends.

The PC gamer licked his Cheetos-stained lips in anticipation. It was another glorious achievement that he had every much a part of as the developers who made the game. It was time to bask in the glory he had helped create. He pictured the poor console gamers shaking in their cheap boots at what he had wrought, as he wrote

Its never a bad time to join the master race

before ordering a new fedora in celebration and jerking off to children's cartoons. Before the fundie bitch demanded he go to bed, he muttered under his breathe, "Fine, but god's not real, and when you die, nothing happens." The grimace appeared again.

It was hard to fall asleep that night, but even harder for the console gamers, he imagined. He decided he would take time off from World of Warcraft and harassing good-looking, confident women tomorrow to put the console gamers in their place. The grimace appeared on his face once again, as he fantasized about the irreparable damage he was going to cause. You could say he felt quite euphoric that night.

#71 Posted by Heil68 (43273 posts) -

I would wait for the new hardware revisions to come out shortly, then current hardware will drop in price or you can get the latest stuff.

#72 Edited by psx_warrior (1504 posts) -

It's always a shitty time if youre just going to hook it up to a shitty LCD monitor with shitty speakers and no subwoofer

That's not true. It just means you don't have the ability to get the most out of bleeding edge hardware, so you don't need to buy the latest video card. A person can save money and buy a slightly older card that still runs all the games at good settings. After all, as long as the rest of the hardware is up to snuff, one can upgrade the gpu without having to upgrade the rest of the machine.