Is it a bad time to buy a PC now?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

There 's always new tech right around the corner, but atm there seems to be unusually many things on the the horizon. G-sync, Oculus Rift, Steam Machines+SteamOS, Mantle, Windows 9. There are no full next-gen mutliplats out yet, so it's hard to know exactly how powerful PC you need to dominate next-gen gaming for cheap. Finally I wonder if the console architecture (shared memory pool) will become more common on PC and how that will affect cost/performance.

Anyway would you say this is a risky time to invest in PC-gaming and it's better to hold on for a year or so, when we should have a much clearer picture of some of these things?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#2  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Nah

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

Never a bad time.

Also,anything related to gaming is never an investment,unless you keep it in the shrink wrap for 20years and resell it then

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

There's never been a bad time to invest in a gaming PC.

Go for it.

metal_zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 metal_zombie
Member since 2004 • 2288 Posts

@Sushiglutton: wait for SteamOS

leandrro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#6 leandrro
Member since 2007 • 1644 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

There 's always new tech right around the corner, but atm there seems to be unusually many things on the the horizon. G-sync, Oculus Rift, Steam Machines+SteamOS, Mantle, Windows 9. There are no full next-gen mutliplats out yet, so it's hard to know exactly how powerful PC you need to dominate next-gen gaming for cheap. Finally I wonder if the console architecture (shared memory pool) will become more common on PC and how that will affect cost/performance.

Anyway would you say this is a risky time to invest in PC-gaming and it's better to hold on for a year or so, when we should have a much clearer picture of some of these things?

consoles dont have a real shared memory pool

the Vram is connected by a much faster separate memory controller and system ram is on a much slower controller, X1's GPU and handle more than 1gb Vram and PS4's can handle more than 1,5 Vram

the speeds and what gpus can do with those memories is not different from what a regular 2011's PC can do

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

At the moment, price wise, an XboxOne and it's video game titles (uk currency) is currently more expensive than pc. With a fairly soso library of games. It's a waste of money my friends. If ever a time to hop aboard existed, now is the time.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sushiglutton
@leandrro said:

@Sushiglutton said:

consoles dont have a real shared memory pool

the Vram is connected by a much faster separate memory controller and system ram is on a much slower controller, X1's GPU and handle more than 1gb Vram and PS4's can handle more than 1,5 Vram

the speeds and what gpus can do with those memories is not different from what a regular 2011's PC can do

I thought the full (within reaons) 8gb of RAM on the Ps4 could be used by either the CPU or GPU?

@Cyberdot said:

There's never been a bad time to invest in a gaming PC.

Go for it.

I allready have a reasonable one GTX580, but I'm thinking about when it's a good time to upgrade. And it seems like so much is going on atm.

Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts

i would wait until DDR4 Motherboards come out.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

Not really.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

you don't buy PC's you make them. If you buy a PC you'll only get ripped off.

Daious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Daious
Member since 2013 • 2315 Posts

You can make an argument that it is a bad time to build a computer because of the jacking up of prices of AMD gpu. Other than that its a great time to make one.

I don't think it is a bad time to build a computer considering Maxwell is still 28nm so there will not be a huge improvement from the successor of the 700 series.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Its never a bad time to join the master race

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I don't have the money to upgrade anyways, but if I did I'd hold off for similar reasons. Wait until you can buy a PC that's future-proof through most of the new generation of games.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@metal_zombie said:

Why, so you can play a fraction of the Steam library because the OS is built on a Linux kernel?

To the TS: There probably isn't going to be a much better time to buy a PC. With the competition from phones and tablets, desktop hardware is as cheap as it has ever been, historically. Hell, even IBM is selling off their server business because margins on servers (similar to PC architecture) are razor thin (due largely to VM).

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

I have my choice of:

1. Totally new PC

2. Major upgrade, eg motherboard/CPU/RAM + video card

3. Incremental upgrade, eg video card only

Any time is a good time for me.

That said..... I'm in no hurry to replace my GTX 560 Ti just yet.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

It's never a bad time to get into PC gaming! If you aren't PC gaming, get on dat shit asap!

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

A good time to upgrade is wen you need to. If your PC can handle anything right now, there's no reason at all to blow cash. Save that money in your bank account, and upgrade wen it is necessary.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#19 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

I thought the full (within reaons) 8gb of RAM on the Ps4 could be used by either the CPU or GPU?

I allready have a reasonable one GTX580, but I'm thinking about when it's a good time to upgrade. And it seems like so much is going on atm.

Why would you upgrade with such a good card? I still have a GTX 460 and I see no significant reason to upgrade.

Avatar image for thereturnoftheg
theReturnoftheG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 theReturnoftheG
Member since 2013 • 89 Posts

There's never been a bad time

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

@Lucianu said:

@Sushiglutton said:

A good time to upgrade is wen you need to. If your PC can handle anything right now, there's no reason at all to blow cash. Save that money in your bank account, and upgrade wen it is necessary.

This. If you are happy witht he current performance of your PC and aren't looking to purchasea higer rez monitor soonish, you're good to go until that changes.

When your GTX 580 starts to chug more than you want it to at the resolution you want to play games at, or when you decide on a new monitor resolution or an Oculus Rift, etc, then you cna upgrade.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Sushiglutton

Yeah I'm not really thinking about upgrading atm as so far my card performs well enough for me. But soon the Witcher 3 will be out and then we will see :). But I didn't want to make a thread based on my personal setup, was thinking more in general. Suppose you are thinking about sinking $1k+ into a PC (not unreasonable at all in my country). It does seem like a somewhat bad time to do it imo.

@hummer700 said:

The best time to upgrade or build a PC is about 2-3 years after the launch of consoles. That's the sweet spot right there my friend.

This is similar to what I'm thinking as well. It's also something people need to realize whne they write off the Steam machines. Right now is the absolute worst time for them in terms of price/performs vs consoles.

bforrester420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bforrester420
Member since 2014 • 3480 Posts

@thereturnoftheg said:

There's never been a bad time

You must not have been alive or old enough to remember the '80s when PCs were thousands of dollars.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Always a good time to. Not usually a good practice to wait for new hardware either, although I could find a few exceptions I'm sure. If you play the waiting game for new technology it will be a perpetual cycle.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11780 Posts

More importantly Maxwell and Pirate Islands along with DDR4 RAM and Motherboards are coming out later this year

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Great time to join. I'm having a blast with my PC these days. I may not be playing PC exclusives all the time but it matters little to me. Though I use my PC for much more than games so the price is warranted

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

There's never really a bad time to get into it. It's always getting some good stuff, and there's an insane backlog you can get into.

I'm building a PC this year myself.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

It is a bad time to buy a PC with new parts at this very moment. In a few months the new hardware revisions will be out and prices for existing hardware will drop and there will be new hardware to buy that will be more powerful and last you longer.

Less literally speaking it's always a good time to buy a PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@metal_zombie said:

yea, so you can play 10% of the pc gaming library. smart.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Sushiglutton said:

Yeah I'm not really thinking about upgrading atm as so far my card performs well enough for me. But soon the Witcher 3 will be out and then we will see :).

Instead of preempting the game like I see some do, wait until the game is out, evaluate how it runs on the current hardware, and then make a decision.

When Crysis 3 was first set to come out, I thought for sure I needed to upgrade everything. I did fine with my Phenom II X3 720BE (unlocked 4th core) and GTX 560 Ti, albeit at Medium textures, High details, and FXAA at 1080p.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

@Led_poison said:

i would wait until DDR4 Motherboards come out.

If anything, this. But at the rate at which Intel is updating their sockets, whether you build now or wait for DDR4, by the time you want to upgrade next you will probably have to buy a new CPU/Mobo/RAM trio anyway.

I would say build now. Waiting just means wasting more time without your would be PC IMO

Peanutbutterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Peanutbutterz
Member since 2011 • 219 Posts

Relative to other times, I'd say it's a bad time at the moment, and my reasoning is because Maxwell is right around the corner. The new cards are probably going to hit the shelves in March. Personally, I'd wait to get into PC gaming right now because 1. the prices on the GTX 7xx series will significantly drop when Maxwell releases, and 2. You'll have some new, really powerful cards to choose from if you're going to build a high end PC.

That said, obviously you can build a really powerful PC and be completely satisfied with it especially if you're only wanting to get into 1080p gaming. Personally, I'd wait and see how the new chip performs.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15541 Posts

GDDR6 and DDR4 memory updated hardware will be releasing in the near future; maybe a year, more or less. If you want a slightly more future proof PC you can comfortably upgrade without buying a whole new mobo for newer parts, I'd wait for those cards to start coming out.

Honestly though, there's no bad time to get into it.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#35 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

There's never a bad time to build a PC.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Not really, but it's probably not the best time to do it. You could afford to wait a couple months or a year when we start to see next gen specs and "next gen" graphic cards out.

I haven't been keeping up with all the new stuff, so I'm not sure how future proof a lot of the new stuff is as of now tbh, so I could be off base.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#37  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

Wouldn't even think about it until I start seeing some games to justify it. Where are the exclusives??

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@biggest_loser said:

Wouldn't even think about it until I start seeing some games to justify it. Where are the exclusives??

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Depends! Are you working or going to school? I always upgrade my or build a new PC in every couple of years or so ( sometimes 3 years depends on new CPU). I usually spend about a thousand to do so. I do not mind to spend the money because I can use it to write off taxes at the end of the year as business related expense but too bad that I can't do that with console lol!

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 45996 Posts

@Sushiglutton: There is always new tech around the corner. The research and development of new technology never stops, and that is a good thing. Having said that, I agree with others: it's never a bad time to get into PC gaming. Lots of multiplats that play best on PC and are cheaper too, lots of great indie games, the biggest amount of games, the biggest amount of exclusives.

@Gue1 said:

you don't buy PC's you make them. If you buy a PC you'll only get ripped off.

But if you buy all the parts needed for a PC, than you can say you bought a PC right ? ;)

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

It's probably the absolute worst time for amazing prices.

You just missed the crazy holiday sales a month ago....I would wait until holiday/black friday/after box/xmas sales 2014.

----

Technologically speaking, it could be in your best interest to wait a bit longer (beyond this holiday 2014 to next holiday 2015) while devs transition from the lowest common denominators (PS360Wii U) assets and move to the new LCD Xbone/PS4. There are big ticket upgrades on the way for PC that you'll miss if you buy now (Maxwell, GDDR6, DDR4, etc). Even when those release, it will drop prices on stuff you would have bought now, but way better prices.

Or just go buy whatever and have a good day.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#42  Edited By AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts

No....it is not a bad time.If you have the money buy a good gaming PC.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Depends what you want you plan to do with it. My PC is my main entertainment system ( for Movies, series, music, and Games ) So for me it's always good to have around even if it's not top notch. Unless you have the money having a high end PC for just games i wouldn't say it's worth it much. But the magic comes from setting it up to do more.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
@hummer700 said:

The best time to upgrade or build a PC is about 2-3 years after the launch of consoles. That's the sweet spot right there my friend.

That's what I was saying when I spoke of LCD. QFT.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

If you have the philosophy of waiting for next big thing when buying a gaming PC you will be waiting forever. There are TONS of great games to be played right now; if you're a gamer it's always a good time to buy/upgrade a PC.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Never wait on things that haven't released yet, because they are unlikely to really be affordable when they do release. If there is a card out there that you really want, but don't want to pay $500 for or something, waiting a year can really pay off, though.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

PC is dying anyways so why bother...

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#48 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

@clyde46 said:

@biggest_loser said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaa

Don't wet yourself there Clyde. Crysis 1 was a long time ago.

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

It's only kind of crappy because RAM/GPU prices are still a bit high.

And you missed out on those $200 7950s/$280 7970s. That's about as good as it got for price:performance last year.

Pretty much all of the GPUs are overpriced at the moment. AMD is overpriced because all of their GPUs are getting bought out due to crazy mining demand. Nvidia is overpriced because they're Nvidia. (barring the GTX 760)

PC always has the games though and that's what matters most. So yeah, it's still worth it.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

It's always a shitty time if youre just going to hook it up to a shitty LCD monitor with shitty speakers and no subwoofer