Is Infamous: Second Son the Best Looking Game Ever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (718 posts) -

I've had Infamous since Friday and have been in constant awe at how good it looks. I honestly cannot remember the last time this has happened to me while playing a console game. I have a gaming PC that can handle any game I throw at it. Before Infamous, I had almost written-off my PS4 as never being able to produce graphics of the likes of Crysis or Battlefield on PC (although BF4 does admittingly look very good on PS4).

I own every PC game that is considered to be a graphical powerhouse and will put your rig to the test. But Infamous might have all of those games beat. The lighting, reflections, particle effects, in-game cutscenes (that would have been pre-rendered to look this good on any previous console), and textures are all incredible. I am consistently finding myself just looking at how good everything looks rather than playing the game.

What do you guys think? Do you still think that Crysis 3 is the king? It was still the king a week ago, but things have changed it my opinion...

#2 Posted by MonsieurX (28705 posts) -

Ever?

That would be a stupid thing to say since it'll get outclassed soon even if it's considered the best looking game now

#3 Edited by SolidTy (41525 posts) -

Infamous 3 is truly a fantastic looking game and I'm only at the bridge at the beginning lol. I'm looking forward to this weekend for more time.

#4 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2537 posts) -

Best looking game is hard to classify, as the scale of the game will affect its graphical output. In sheer visuals, Infamous doesn't stack up to the likes of Killzone and Ryse, but both of those are controlled, linear games with limited gameplay options compared to Infamous. If we're talking open world games, then it's very possible that it's the best looking open world game.

However, I think had GTA 5 launched on next-gen consoles, it wouldn't even be a competition.

#5 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

It's the best looking sandbox game on consoles so far.

#6 Posted by I_can_haz (6481 posts) -

I dunno about it being the best looking ever but it's definitely the best looking console game ever for sure and the best looking open world game. It's a technical marvel and I can't wait to see what devs like Naughty Gods and Sony Santa Monica do with the PS4's hardware.

#7 Edited by Underdog123x (266 posts) -

Maybe on consoles.

#8 Posted by Kjranu (769 posts) -

No, Killzone SF outclasses Infamous' slightly cartoony style but it is a great looking game in its own right.

#9 Posted by Spartan070 (16307 posts) -

Best looking game is hard to classify, as the scale of the game will affect its graphical output. In sheer visuals, Infamous doesn't stack up to the likes of Killzone and Ryse, but both of those are controlled, linear games with limited gameplay options compared to Infamous. If we're talking open world games, then it's very possible that it's the best looking open world game.

However, I think had GTA 5 launched on next-gen consoles, it wouldn't even be a competition.

I'm betting it won't be on Infamous level, they'll still be ports where as Infamous was designed around a single platform.

GTAV PC maybe...

#10 Posted by Blabadon (25215 posts) -

Ughhh, I need to play this

#11 Edited by tymeservesfate (1469 posts) -

uh...theres a sticky. its dead in there too...it could use your posts.

#12 Edited by Mozelleple112 (6611 posts) -

Best looking game ever? It would have to compete with the likes of Crysis 3, The Witcher 2, Metro: LL, Mirror's Edge, Arma III, GTAIV (PC mod), original Crysis, Metro 2033, Battlefield 3 & 4 and so on... in 4K resolution... Not happening.

#13 Posted by blackace (19745 posts) -

Ever? No.

Consoles? Probably.. for now anyways.

#14 Edited by darkangel115 (1405 posts) -

Its not even the best looking console game let along best looking game ever. I mean maybe it can be called the best looking open world console game ever. But with the small amount of NPCs limited enemies, lack of dynamic lighting and shadows, its not like its some sort of graphically impressive feat.

#15 Posted by bobbetybob (19086 posts) -

Ever? Lol no. It can be pretty inconsistent, stuff like water looks terrible, the distant buildings are pretty flat (also half the world is just an illusion which is a bit lame) and outside of cutscenes the character models are pretty much on par with plenty of other AAA release in recent years.

On consoles? Sure, it's top 3.

#16 Posted by MrXboxOne (742 posts) -

Nope. Its not.

#17 Posted by LanceX2 (305 posts) -

just no. PC says hi. on console? debatable but top 3

#18 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (718 posts) -

Best looking game ever? It would have to compete with the likes of Crysis 3, The Witcher 2, Metro: LL, Mirror's Edge, Arma III, GTAIV (PC mod), original Crysis, Metro 2033, Battlefield 3 & 4 and so on... in 4K resolution... Not happening.

I own all of those games (except for Arma III). There's no way The Witcher 2, Metro, Crysis 1, or Mirror's Edge (not sure why you included that) looks better than Infamous. And I'm talking 1080p, the resolution the whole world basically plays in. I'm pretty sure about .000001% of the population actually has a gaming rig that can play those games above 30fps in 4K. Not many people even own 4K TV's, I'm tired of that argument - nobody games in 4K.

As I said in my original post, Crysis 3 and Battlefield look amazing but Infamous has wowed me more than any game in recent memory.

#19 Edited by kuu2 (6806 posts) -

Sandbox yes.

#20 Edited by LanceX2 (305 posts) -

in all honesty it depends on what you mean? Im sure a lot of people look at games like Journey and the artsy way it looks and may think its the best looking to them. Prince of Persia was beautiful but in a different way then Infamous SS is

#21 Posted by tormentos (16509 posts) -

Its not even the best looking console game let along best looking game ever. I mean maybe it can be called the best looking open world console game ever. But with the small amount of NPCs limited enemies, lack of dynamic lighting and shadows, its not like its some sort of graphically impressive feat.

Hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa..............

#22 Edited by SuddenlyTragic (718 posts) -

@darkangel115 said:

Yeah I was confused by this as well, the dynamic lighting and shadows are part of what make this game look so good....

#23 Posted by rogelio22 (2342 posts) -

Witcher2, crysis2/3 metro ll and others still looke better and more detailed but theyre not open world like infamous ss.. still I ss has no af which makes ground textures look really blurry a few feet away from the character

#24 Posted by Ackad (3130 posts) -

In terms of sandbox games, probably.

#25 Edited by Chutebox (36210 posts) -

On consoles, easily.

#26 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2537 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

I'm betting it won't be on Infamous level, they'll still be ports where as Infamous was designed around a single platform.

GTAV PC maybe...

Well, yes, but what I meant was if GTA 5 was built specifically for next-gen consoles. Even on ps3/xbox 360, that game looks better than it has any business looking. Of course, it's riddled with horrendous jaggy's out the ass.

#27 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1364 posts) -

On consoles, easily.

#28 Edited by silversix_ (13631 posts) -

Of course not EVER but its certainly is the best looking game on consoles and also the most technically impressive console title.

#29 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10043 posts) -

InFamous is a good looking game, but it's not that good looking of a game.

#30 Posted by GravityX (677 posts) -

From what I seen it looks very good, however the city seems void of life, bare and empty.

#31 Posted by _Matt_ (8787 posts) -

Best looking console game sure.

#32 Posted by AM-Gamer (3326 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: I disagree I think it looks better then both and it's far larger it looks insane.

#33 Posted by blackace (19745 posts) -

At least cows agree it looks better then KZ:SF. lol!!

Compared to what's on the PC however, no.

Of course there are more console games coming that will be better looking in the end. Right now this is the PS4 best exclusive game.

#34 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9419 posts) -

I'll be the judge of that.

#35 Posted by darkangel115 (1405 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@darkangel115 said:

Yeah I was confused by this as well, the dynamic lighting and shadows are part of what make this game look so good....

Except its removed for performance reasons. You can see on cut scenes where shadows pop in and then disappear afterwards.

[quote]I’d like to make every light cast shadows : ). But there’s always tradeoffs in games, and there’s a lot of streetlights.[/quote]

that's from suckerpunch on why they removed dynamic lighting and shadows. Only the static sources (sun and moon) cast realtime effects.

#36 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (15798 posts) -

No user screenshots?

#38 Edited by FastRobby (793 posts) -

I've had Infamous since Friday and have been in constant awe at how good it looks. I honestly cannot remember the last time this has happened to me while playing a console game. I have a gaming PC that can handle any game I throw at it. Before Infamous, I had almost written-off my PS4 as never being able to produce graphics of the likes of Crysis or Battlefield on PC (although BF4 does admittingly look very good on PS4).

I own every PC game that is considered to be a graphical powerhouse and will put your rig to the test. But Infamous might have all of those games beat. The lighting, reflections, particle effects, in-game cutscenes (that would have been pre-rendered to look this good on any previous console), and textures are all incredible. I am consistently finding myself just looking at how good everything looks rather than playing the game.

What do you guys think? Do you still think that Crysis 3 is the king? It was still the king a week ago, but things have changed it my opinion...

Sandbox, yes. In general, no. Ryse and KZ look better.

#39 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (12822 posts) -

It's definitely up there, and yes I'm counting pc.

#41 Posted by m3dude1 (826 posts) -

infamous/killzone/ryse. best looking games ever

#42 Edited by darkangel115 (1405 posts) -

@AM-Gamer said:

@darkangel115: not true some of the car lights do and other sources as well. I've played pretty much the best looking games and infamous SS is currently the king.

It looks good yes, but its far from the best looking game ever. For instance it looks much better then DR3, But whats the tradeoff? DR3 had a large open scale no loading screen world that felt overrun by zombies. there were hundreds everywhere. Infamous has a city that feels small and dead. hardly any NPCs or enemies to be found and they removed lighting. in the end it turned out to be a tech demo more then a fun game which is sad

#43 Posted by GiantAssPanda (1590 posts) -

From what I've seen it looks fantastic. I'd say it's up there.

#44 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5893 posts) -

One of the criteria a game needs for graphics king is shadows. NotFamous is disqualified.

#45 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12822 posts) -

One of the criteria a game needs for graphics king is shadows. NotFamous is disqualified.

infamous has a shit ton of shadows, it's even got soft shadowing.

#46 Edited by Boggle_Dragon (85 posts) -

Most definitely better looking than Ryse and KZ:SF. Don't think it beats some of the top PC games but you would need an expensive one to beat it, at that. Anyone got some comparison pics?

#47 Posted by madskills6117 (4021 posts) -

Killzone looks better but its certainly the best sandbox I've seen. I cant speak for Ryse as I've never played it but it looks impressive in videos. Either way infamous is the better game imo.

#48 Edited by Shewgenja (7947 posts) -

On console, yes.

#49 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5893 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: sure but not everything has a shadow. Like the main character standing in front of light. Immersion killer.

#50 Posted by cimbom1993 (38 posts) -
just no, it looks very good for a console game but you cant compare it with pc games. but its amazing for a 400$ system vs 800~10000$ system