Is Horizon Zero Dawn the most subtle feminist AAA first party title to date?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Ive been looking around reading reviews and checking out social media and it seems one things clear. Aloy is a strong female protagonist that seems to appear quite refreshing in today's industry. Her design is so graceful and fits the game perfectly. Nothing seems out of place or silly. Its like this studio has really given the game their heart and soul. Loving the feedback from this one.

Something else that really impresses me is just how awesome and prevalent women and people of color (and especially women of color!) are in this world. We have matriarchies here, and other forms of tribal society, and everywhere I went there were women as war chiefs, mechanics, hunters, tribe elders, women in positions of power and authority. Complex women. Many of these ladies were black or Latino, and so were many of the men in this world.

Speaking of men, they also enjoy a wide representation here—and are often just as capable as nurturers as they are warriors or kings or "braves," proving that, hey, when there's something approaching gender parity, everybody wins.

The writer continues...

Aloy herself, and the character that she shares a special connection with (no spoilers), Elisabet, are women of conviction, skill, intelligence, and enormous heart. There were so many moments in this game, really weighty moments, where that shines beautifully, and neither of them are presented as unrealistically perfect. They are flawed, but capable of greatness. Honest-to-god heroes.

In some ways, this game feels quietly revolutionary. It's maybe the most subtly feminist AAA first-party game I can think of. I say subtly because it doesn't feel the need to proclaim anything; it just happens to show a world where gender roles didn't develop along the patriarchal lines in the same way for everyone, where women and folks of color can take on any position and thrive.

Source, https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/women-shine-brightest-in-horizon-zero-dawn?utm_source=wptwitterus

What does System Wars think of the games positive feedback so far? Do you agree with the thread title? Care to share about any other strong female roles in AAA gaming?

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Pfff

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#3 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

I honestly don't care if it's a guy or a girl, as long as the game is good

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#4 kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

Lara & Ellie > Aloy

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Incoming shitstorm of gamers who think they know everything about feminism.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By iandizion713

@kvally: The gameplay reminds me of Tomb Raider a lot. Appears to be an inspiration.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

It doesn't matter.

Man or woman. Whatever. People are more than their genders.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kvally

@iandizion713 said:

@kvally: The game reminds me of Tomb Raider a lot.

Indeed, there are a few similarities.

OldProf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 OldProf
Member since 2003 • 1513 Posts

Yes I agree, it makes me happy that this game strayed away from your typical white, handsome male. Game protagonist need to be more diverse. It pisses me off that Nioh has a white male characters as the protagonist when this game takes place in a Japanese world. Diversity and minorities make for a more interesting story and world. AKA all the Elder Scroll games. :)

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 aigis

@OldProf: do you actually believe that?

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iandizion713

@OldProf: Agreed, diversity is much needed. Its refreshing to have a game welcome the challenge and succeed in implementing such a request.

@jumpaction said:

It doesn't matter.

Man or woman. Whatever. People are more than their genders.

Well said, i think thats what makes this game so beautiful.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

Probably not. People just like to blow shit out of the water.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Can we leave this crap at gaf, not sw material btw!

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Zero_epyon  Online
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Chutebox said:

Probably not. People just like to blow shit out of the water.

this.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

The author of the article calls the game subtly feminist and then proceeds to lay out how the game is obviously egalitarian.

Once again people think feminism has some sort of monopoly on the concept of equality.

I'm all for more strident efforts for diversity and being inclusive in games but this is just a weirdly written article.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Who cares? Honestly though. As long as the protagonist isn't two-dimensional, I wouldn't care if it's male or female.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

The world doesn't give a fucks about "SJW", that's just a thing in the USA. People all over the world laugh at you for keeping that crappy term alive and it shows.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iandizion713

@22Toothpicks: Feminist strive for an egalitarian society. This is a game they and everyone else can respect. Something this industry is in much need of. Its good to see things changing for the good.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

@aigis said:

I honestly don't care if it's a guy or a girl, as long as the game is good

Normally I would agree with you. It wont affect my enjoyment of playing the game in the slightest. I enjoy playing as Samus as much as I enjoy playing as Link.

But sometimes the drama and stupidity coming from both sides can be more entertaining than the actual game itself.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By iandizion713

@jasonofa36 said:

Who cares? Honestly though. As long as the protagonist isn't two-dimensional, I wouldn't care if it's male or female.

Agreed. Lets have both. Thats whats so great about diversity in gaming.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56092 Posts

@zaryia said:

She looks like a dude, cows are into that.

She just looks like an ordinary woman with Dreadlocks who's independent and looking out for herself, so hardly any man materials.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 22Toothpicks

@howmakewood said:

Uck. GAF is such a hive mind of far left thinking. Ideologues are truly scary people when they coalesce into large groups and completely trap themselves in an echo chamber. And what's worse is many posters vehemently deny the GAF hive mind. Their lack of self-awareness is pretty frightening, actually. You can't even whisper a praise for Trump without everyone jumping down your throat with accusations of racism, homophobia, sexist being called a Nazi etc (I can't stand Trump BTW just citing this as an example of what I've seen)

Sorry to go on such a tangent. GAF is just one of the strangest communities on the web.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iandizion713

@davillain- said:
@zaryia said:

She just looks like an ordinary woman with Dreadlocks who's independent and looking out for herself, so hardly any man materials.

I love the dreads. Its a nice touch for she doesnt have time to comb her hair everyday. Would have been weird for characters to have perfect hair in such an apocalyptic world.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@davillain- said:
@zaryia said:

And a manly face/arms.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 22Toothpicks

@iandizion713:

If that were true they would call themselves egalitarian. But they don't.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@zaryia said:
@davillain- said:
@zaryia said:

And a manly face/arms.

Some women have manly features and some men have womanly features. Have you been in the outside world? :P

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By iandizion713

@22Toothpicks: Thats cause theyre fighting for a certain group. They want to achieve egalitarianism. Your aware men and many other groups do the same arent you? Yet those are fighting for egalitarianism also.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I really don't care about whether I play as a man or woman in a game as long as it's good. Looking at my avatar and sig you can tell I'm clearly not a feminist, I just don't give a crap. I'm all for equal rights and diversity but I'm also about artistic freedom, and allowing artists to do whatever they want in their medium without fear of being criticized and called out by SJWs.

Defiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Defiler
Member since 2016 • 298 Posts

Actually, I agree with the fact this game is a feminist AAA title. As for it being subtle about it? Not even close. Apparently, every man in the game is portrayed as either weak or evil. The main antagonist is a white man. Also, the dialogue sprinkled throughout the game is even more misandrist, alluding that men are the downfall of humanity and shouldn't partake in things like science. Also, Alloy outright admits that she never wants to have a male child, only female.

This is definitely a feminist game. Funny how none of the video game journalists never mention the misandry though.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@quadknight said:

I really don't care about whether I play as a man or woman in a game as long as it's good. Looking at my avatar and sig you can tell I'm clearly not a feminist, I just don't give a crap. I'm all for equal rights but I'm also about artistic freedom, and allowing artists to do whatever they want in their medium without fear of being criticized and called out by SJWs.

Ivy is a strong female lead. Even if drawn by jigglygirls.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@22Toothpicks said:
@howmakewood said:

Uck. GAF is such a hive mind of far left thinking. Ideologues are truly scary people when they coalesce into large groups and completely trap themselves in an echo chamber. And what's worse is many posters vehemently deny the GAF hive mind. Their lack of self-awareness is pretty frightening, actually. You can't even whisper a praise for Trump without everyone jumping down your throat with accusations of racism, homophobia, sexist being called a Nazi etc (I can't stand Trump BTW just citing this as an example of what I've seen)

Sorry to go on such a tangent. GAF is just one of the strangest communities on the web.

Oh I know, been a member for years and ye that is awfully common.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@Juub1990: You're absolutely right and that's what I like about her but some people think she's just eye candy. Yea she's eye candy but I also see a confident woman who owns her sexuality and body and isn't scared of being called a slut. She's also a fierce warrior to boot and highly intelligent. It's just a plus she has jiggly boobs lol. Yea I'm not a feminist but I do admire strong confident women and I'm all for women's rights, I just don't make a big deal out of it and demand it in all my games.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 22Toothpicks

@defiler said:

Actually, I agree with the fact this game is a feminist AAA title. As for it being subtle about it? Not even close. Apparently, every man in the game is portrayed as either weak or evil. The main antagonist is a white man. Also, the dialogue sprinkled throughout the game is even more misandrist, alluding that men are the downfall of humanity and shouldn't partake in things like science. Also, Alloy outright admits that she never wants to have a male child, only female.

This is definitely a feminist game. Funny how none of the video game journalists never mention the misandry though.

How very interesting. I'd have to play the game or see it for myself but I'm not at all surprised if that's the case. After all the "f.uck white men/culture" agenda has been pervading every other form of media for some time now. I'll still eventually play the game and will most likely really enjoy it. Except for them hair physics. It floats around like Alloy is roaming inside of a giant snow globe or something.

Defiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Defiler
Member since 2016 • 298 Posts

@22Toothpicks: There's a topic on GameFAQs that all but confirms it from someone who has already played it. God what a mess.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

@DragonfireXZ95 said:
@zaryia said:
@davillain- said:
@zaryia said:

And a manly face/arms.

Some women have manly features and some men have womanly features. Have you been in the outside world? :P

I never said anything was wrong it, just not my cup of tea.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

it is sjw propaganda in disguise

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 22Toothpicks

@ShepardCommandr:

That might be true but they have every right to exercise their artistic license to make games as they see fit. It's also hard to make the claim that these themes/concepts are an endorsement by the creators or just merely a depiction of these ideas. Intent is crucial here.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

Strong indepedent woman with tons of weapons who don't need no tribe. With white girl dreadlocks.

"Subtle" is not the word I would use.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

As long as female characters are more than just eye candy or trophies in a game, I'm happy. To most of the what's being said in here, just make good -characters-. It just becomes an issue when the only actual characters in games are more often than not guys only. I don't consider a strong female protagonist in a game a huge stride for feminism, I think of it as "hey, this should be just as normal to people as the strong male protagonists". Unfortunately it's not, so yeah, the industry can use more of this.

-Byshop

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#41 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

... what?

I'm all about playing as a man but... what?

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

This review screams of some SJW stuff written by some beta male. This is the type of guy that holds a sign saying "Male Feminist" at a women's protest hoping to get a pity screw.

I have no problem with a female character but the guy that wrote this is the same type that holds his female BFF purse while she makes out with a real male.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iandizion713

@Byshop said:

As long as female characters are more than just eye candy or trophies in a game, I'm happy. To most of the what's being said in here, just make good -characters-. It just becomes an issue when the only actual characters in games are more often than not guys only. I don't consider a strong female protagonist in a game a huge stride for feminism, I think of it as "hey, this should be just as normal to people as the strong male protagonists". Unfortunately it's not, so yeah, the industry can use more of this.

-Byshop

Well said. This should just be the norm.

OldProf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#44 OldProf
Member since 2003 • 1513 Posts

@aigis: I mean, it's nice to play a game once in a while where the protagonist resembles you in some way, it adds to the thrill of the whole gaming and world experience. Why you think some games even let you customize your character?

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

I will only say that her design is fine and I like her running animation. Not much to say about this feminism stuff.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 iandizion713

@m_machine024: Agreed, her animation running down a hill is pretty sweet.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Horizion looks like a cool game, I also like Aloy's design and having different tribes and different races is cool.

Only reason I'm not getting this game is because I don't have a PS4 lol.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kvally

@zaryia said:

Dude looks like a lady!

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 iandizion713

@DJ-Lafleur: Im in the same boat. This is that one game id love to have. My brother has a PS4, so i might borrow after Zelda.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By aigis

@OldProf: honestly I don't care what race or gender I am in most games, it's more about the character's personality that has to be interesting. Character creator games are just there for immersion rather than complexity. Both have their places in certain types of games, but it's never been a hindrance for me