Is Hideo Konima the smartest man in the industry?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Edited 7 months, 17 days ago

Poll: Is Hideo Konima the smartest man in the industry? (45 votes)

Yes metal gear solids is masterpeice that raises the bar (10) from gamespot (10) from IGN. A thinking mans game 42%
He's alright. 58%

Hideo Kojima is a man system wars brings up lots. When the man says something, you young fellows quote him like god. His Metal Gear Solid franchise has been praised. Is he a very important person in the industry at the moment? Without him, would gaming change?

#1 Posted by Sweenix (5398 posts) -

He is like Gabe newel, except he's attractive.

#2 Edited by Krelian-co (10481 posts) -

a. will you stop making threads, you are a waste of forum space

b. will you stop being butthurt over mgs? #dealwithit

c. will you see how sad it is that an old pathetic guy is one of the dumbest people in a forum

NOW THOSE DESERVE A POLL!!!

#3 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3544 posts) -

Who is Hideo Konima? I have never heard of this person he sounds awful much like your spelling. OH wait you meant KOJIMA! the creator of MGS, ZOE and such.

#4 Posted by Netret0120 (2046 posts) -

MGS2 made me view games in a new light so yeah.

#5 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6191 posts) -

You know he cool.

#6 Posted by uninspiredcup (7993 posts) -

The bit when the lady thinks she has magic but actually revolver ocelot technology is making her deflect bullets but then uses real magic that actually real, is one of the greatest moments in gaming.

#7 Edited by ConanTheStoner (4835 posts) -

Don't know about Konima, but Hideo Kojima made a few awesome games so he's alright in my book.

#8 Posted by charizard1605 (56260 posts) -

He's a pretty talented dude, yo

#9 Edited by seanmcloughlin (38214 posts) -

Smart? yes. Smartest? probably not and almost impossible to judge anyway. But Kojima is a pretty smart cookie when he wants to be in the themese he tackles, but he has also made some serious blunders

Ken Levine I've always thought as a very learned guy as well.

So is Neil Druckman

#10 Edited by Vatusus (4499 posts) -

He's definitely one of the most influential but he's not the gaming god forums seem to believe he is. His writting is average to plain stupid most of the times (one could argue thats what makes MGS unique). Miyamoto is bigger than him, I believe. Personaly, Kojima is among my fav devs among with, Fumito Ueda, Shinji Mikami, Suda51 and Hideki Kamiya.

#11 Posted by sakaiXx (51 posts) -

Kojima is awesome in my book, can't go wrong from the guy who gave us MGS 3 and Peace Walker !

#12 Edited by locopatho (20193 posts) -

@Netret0120 said:

The bit when the lady thinks she has magic but actually revolver ocelot technology is making her deflect bullets but then uses real magic that actually real, is one of the greatest moments in gaming.

You gotta believe.

#13 Edited by Netret0120 (2046 posts) -

@uninspiredcup:

Dude it's like you read my mind:-P That was one of THE moments that made me go "I need to get the entite franchise" Fortune was pretty bad ass. Heck all the enemies were. Seeing Vamp run up the Tanker made me get goosebumps.

Fatman was diabolically brilliant. I can't wait to get MGS Legacy and replay it in HD.

#14 Posted by Mr_Ditters (1906 posts) -

No he makes overrated, pompous, self-important games with 1 hour ridiculous boring monologues. He is also a terrible writer. Terrible. He isn't even good enough to write for cartoons.

#15 Posted by Ghost120x (3751 posts) -

That man reinvigorated metal gear and changed the industry with his cinematic approach to game development. Metal gear solid holds a place in my top five games of all time.

The man is a genius that is falling victim of his own success.

#16 Edited by mrintro (1354 posts) -

He gets way too much credit, but he is talented.

#17 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26326 posts) -

Ask this question to the infamous DarkSydePhil. I dare you!

#18 Posted by jsmoke03 (12786 posts) -

smart? he is trying to sell us on a 2 hour game for $40

#19 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4077 posts) -

hahaha lol... oh you're serious.

#20 Posted by misterpmedia (3364 posts) -

Still can't believe the guy is 50. But smartest? Nope. He canned ZoE and put it on the shelf for rethinking. I peg that as an unintelligent move. The people need less Metal Gear and more ZoE.

#21 Posted by j_assassin (898 posts) -

Dont know about smartest, but he puts so much passion for gaming in metal gear, unlike other devs who prioritize on 'how to market a game first' before 'how to make a quality game'

#22 Posted by Ballroompirate (22581 posts) -

Have no idea who Konima is, but Kojima is awesome.

#23 Edited by Joedgabe (5110 posts) -

TC is still waiting for HL3 lawl.

#24 Edited by hellrazr09 (18 posts) -

Supposedly your confusion between Konami and Kojima led to Konima?

#25 Posted by Epic-gamerz (196 posts) -

MGS1,2 & 3 were all ahead of their time in story telling when compared to Western games then. And the AI is still the best even compared to today's standards

#26 Posted by blackace (20379 posts) -

LOL!! No, he's not the smartest. If he was smart, he would be making other games besides just MGS. Shigeru Miyamoto is easily smarter and have done a lot more for the gaming industry then Kojima. Even Yu Suzuki has done more. Kojima has done mostly nothing but MGS. Sure he also did Zone of Enders, Snatcher, Policenauts and some RPG's, but he abandoned all those games and kept MGS. When is he going to do a new IP?

Hideo Kojima is definitely one of the Top 10 Asian developers, but I don't even have him in the Top 5. Another guy who easily surpasses Kojima is this guy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hironobu_Sakaguchi

#27 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9560 posts) -

I never heard of Konima, but Hideo Kojima is an industry troll

#28 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

smart? he is trying to sell us on a 2 hour game for $40

And millions will buy...

#29 Edited by Boddicker (2585 posts) -

I personally think he's the most overrated dev currently. What's astonishing is he has been in that position for around a decade.

I wonder when hardcore weeaboos are going to put the controller down and admit his storylines make no sense.

Standard weeaboo response: B,b,but nanomachines! Magic robots!

#30 Edited by BiggChonies882 (48 posts) -

MGS3 is not only the best video game ever. It is the best thing ever!!!

#31 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13549 posts) -

Don't you mean Hideo Konami?

#32 Edited by sailor232 (4474 posts) -

@blackace said:

LOL!! No, he's not the smartest. If he was smart, he would be making other games besides just MGS. Shigeru Miyamoto is easily smarter and have done a lot more for the gaming industry then Kojima. Even Yu Suzuki has done more. Kojima has done mostly nothing but MGS. Sure he also did Zone of Enders, Snatcher, Policenauts and some RPG's, but he abandoned all those games and kept MGS. When is he going to do a new IP?

Hideo Kojima is definitely one of the Top 10 Asian developers, but I don't even have him in the Top 5. Another guy who easily surpasses Kojima is this guy - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hironobu_Sakaguchi

Exactly how I feel about the man. Do other things apart from MGS and if they turn out to be amazing then yes, I will consider him to be in the top 10 of developers. It's almost like he got lucky once and is too afraid to move on to other projects. Worse of all is when he says "I'm done" then comes back and make more MGS upon more MGS.

#33 Posted by Heil68 (43594 posts) -

Naw, that goes to the guys over in Naughty Gods.

#34 Edited by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

Smart, but not in a good way, since is he coating cash grabbing games with storytelling to make money, for example:

• 2008: Releases a game with 4 hours of gameplay and online which required you to pay for additional content and even new character slots, game gets a 10/10 because of storytelling. Charges full price for this game.
  • 2014: Releasing a game that apparently has 2 hours of gameplay with no word no online yet, game will most likely get a 10/10 because of storytelling. Charges half price, but it is still far too overpriced.

Hideo Kojima is rivaling EA games in terms of cash grabbing with the Metal Gear series. I can't vote on the poll because there is no 'He's Greedy' option.

Without him, gaming would most likely be better as maybe more people would still care about gameplay nowadays.

#35 Edited by delta3074 (17921 posts) -

He's alright but he's not the smartest man in the industry.

And contrary to belief, he didn't invent the stealth genre.l

#36 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7785 posts) -

MGS1 completely changed my view on what gaming is/was/should be. Dude is on another level.

#37 Edited by SolidTy (42550 posts) -

Is Hideo Konima the smartest man in the industry?

---

I have always said so. After playing Konima's first game, I swore to myself and my friends I'd never forget his name because of what he means to me. He is very smart and part of a good industry, if I do say so myself.

I'm also a big fan of Genjamin Franklin, John Washington, and Shiggy Miyamario.

I even got a Tattoo on my upper left arm (so my workmates can't see it) that says I heart Konima. I will NEVER regret a this tattoo despite the pundits because clearly Konima, who I admire more than anyone, is the smartest man in the industry. Thanks for the thread, I've been wanting to get this Konima stuff off my chest! (That's what HE said, lol.)

#38 Edited by s_h_a_d_o (1291 posts) -

@SolidTy said:
I even got a Tattoo on my upper left arm (so my workmates can't see it) that says I heart Konima. I will NEVER regret a this tattoo despite the pundits because clearly Konima, who I admire more than anyone, is the smartest man in the industry.

"NEVER regret"... until one realises it's misspelled?

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Don't you mean Hideo Konami?

lol

Ta for the sarcasm, lads.

OT: No. He may have considerable talent, but I would never deem him the "smartest man in the industry".

#39 Posted by Cyberdot (3519 posts) -

The guy behind a game that is filled with cutscenes and barely any gameplay, also a game that isn't even as good as the old games on PS1 and PS2?

Not really.

#40 Edited by silversix_ (14128 posts) -

Dunno but i enjoy cutsceens in his MGS's more than gameplay itself. He should be creating movies yo

#41 Posted by SolidTy (42550 posts) -

@SolidTy said:
I even got a Tattoo on my upper left arm (so my workmates can't see it) that says I heart Konima. I will NEVER regret a this tattoo despite the pundits because clearly Konima, who I admire more than anyone, is the smartest man in the industry.

"NEVER regret"... until one realises it's misspelled?

lol

Ta for the sarcasm, lads.

Oh Noez!! I need better wingmen. :(

#42 Edited by Alcapello (822 posts) -

He could very well be, the man is a genius. Ever since he has gone multiplat the playstation sale have been doubling xbox.

#43 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6637 posts) -

For creating the best game ever made; Metal Gear Solid 4 which is a part of the greatest franchise in video gaming, yes Hideo Kojima IS the smartest developer around.

#44 Posted by blangenakker (2252 posts) -

He should do what he always wanted to do, make a movie. I'm sure it would be bad ass

#45 Posted by CrashNBurn281 (391 posts) -

Hideo Kojima is a very talented person, but not some unparalleled genius.

#47 Posted by blamix99 (1715 posts) -

Smart, but not in a good way, since is he coating cash grabbing games with storytelling to make money, for example:

• 2008: Releases a game with 4 hours of gameplay and online which required you to pay for additional content and even new character slots, game gets a 10/10 because of storytelling. Charges full price for this game.
  • 2014: Releasing a game that apparently has 2 hours of gameplay with no word no online yet, game will most likely get a 10/10 because of storytelling. Charges half price, but it is still far too overpriced.

Hideo Kojima is rivaling EA games in terms of cash grabbing with the Metal Gear series. I can't vote on the poll because there is no 'He's Greedy' option.

Without him, gaming would most likely be better as maybe more people would still care about gameplay nowadays.

4 hours? really?

#48 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@blamix99 said:

@RageQuitter69 said:

4 hours? really?

yeah,

but the best damn 4 hours pressed onto a disc,

except act 2, where you have to follow some dude to his hide out,

its a damn shame they closed online instead of refining it year after year,

its not like kojima productions released anything worthwhile since then anyways

#49 Posted by blamix99 (1715 posts) -

@blamix99 said:

@RageQuitter69 said:

4 hours? really?

yeah,

I've played the game twice, i remember skipping all the cutscenes in my 2nd playthrough and it's still a long game. i think 4 hours is kinda exaggerate

#50 Posted by killatwill15 (845 posts) -

@blamix99 said:

@killatwill15 said:

@blamix99 said:

@RageQuitter69 said:

4 hours? really?

yeah,

I've played the game twice, i remember skipping all the cutscenes in my 2nd playthrough and it's still a long game. i think 4 hours is kinda exaggerate

If the game has to be beat in under 5 hours for big boss medal,

I wouldn't say that estimate is exaggerating.

but on the reals,

mgs 4 didn't come into its own until you reached act 4,

to me that's what mgs 4 should've been throughout,

matter of fact I would play the ship level over and over because it was so open and varied,

many approaches and tactics that can be appropriated