Is Halo still relevant?

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Ghost120x (4946 posts) -
I haven't purchased halo 4 yet but after halo reach, and bungie's absence, I really think think the franchise will come to an end during the upcoming gen. Is halo the Mario of Microsoft and will never go away or will it perish under games like cod and battlefield?
#2 Posted by mems_1224 (55744 posts) -
343 turned Halo 4 around since launch. Its great now. There are still a lot of people playing it online.
#3 Posted by NeonNinja (17318 posts) -

Relevant? Yes.

It's really good.  It isn't the revelation it was at the start of the last decade, but it's still really fun to play so that still makes it relevant.

#4 Posted by mayceV (4633 posts) -
well Halo 4 >>Reach. sure multiplayer launch was a mess but now its mostly fixed. Campaign was one of the best in the series. Wait for Halo 5 to drop and for 343 to get a feel. MS will pour 100 million into halo 5 just as they did for 4. (also the end of Halo 4 has me dying for the next installment if only to see what happens.)
#5 Posted by tagyhag (15869 posts) -
It could still carve out its own following. 4 sold great and the X1 still doesn't have its own Halo game so look to the next one to sell a lot copies as well. (Of course to the ratio of X1 owners, if Halo 5 comes out early and the X1 has less units than the 360, it doesn't mean Halo is dying.)
#6 Posted by Chris_Williams (14882 posts) -

it's still revelant but its no longer the first person shooter king. Call of duty has that title now.

#7 Posted by heretrix (37738 posts) -

Sure. Halo has a huge fanbase.

#8 Posted by foxhound_fox (95726 posts) -
343 turned Halo 4 around since launch. Its great now. There are still a lot of people playing it online. mems_1224
Too bad they couldn't have made those changes before launching the game. I have zero interest in it now.
#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (21179 posts) -

The halo man invented first purson shooturs. Of course it's relivance.

#10 Posted by Alpha_S_ (395 posts) -

Of course it is.  Though I stopped caring after 3.

#11 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (35161 posts) -

Yes it is. I don't know if I'll ever end up playing or wanting Halo 5 or 6 though. I wasn't crazy about halo 4.

#12 Posted by timbers_WSU (6076 posts) -

I haven't purchased halo 4 yet but after halo reach, and bungie's absence, I really think think the franchise will come to an end during the upcoming gen. Is halo the Mario of Microsoft and will never go away or will it perish under games like cod and battlefield?Ghost120x
So you never played Halo 4,  Have no idea how good it is, and yet you think Halo is done? People are really stupid in this forum.

#13 Posted by Bigboi500 (35550 posts) -

Not since Halo 4's story line and decline of Cortana.

#14 Posted by mems_1224 (55744 posts) -

[QUOTE="mems_1224"]343 turned Halo 4 around since launch. Its great now. There are still a lot of people playing it online. foxhound_fox
Too bad they couldn't have made those changes before launching the game. I have zero interest in it now.

Thats a shame. You should give it a shot. Big Team Scirmish is incredibly fun and I dont think there is ordinance drops in that mode.

#15 Posted by freedomfreak (49047 posts) -
Yes, it is.
#16 Posted by trollhunter2 (1946 posts) -

Halo has a huge fanbase, so why not?

#17 Posted by navyguy21 (13991 posts) -
Halo is the only FPS series outside of Half Life that has an RPG-like story. Thats why i have come to like it. I wasnt always a Halo fan, but 3 and Reach had such great stories that i wanted to know what happened next. I still havent played 4, but thats because im mostly a single player person and i dont want to pay more than $30 for it.
#18 Posted by foxhound_fox (95726 posts) -
Halo 4 >>Reach. mayceV
#19 Posted by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -
Incredibly so, shocked this is a question.
#20 Posted by timbers_WSU (6076 posts) -
Incredibly so, shocked this is a question.Spartan070
I am not. Halo 4 is the biggest selling game in the series I think. So if anything it is probably as big as its ever been.
#21 Posted by trollhunter2 (1946 posts) -

Halo is the only FPS series outside of Half Life that has an RPG-like story. Thats why i have come to like it. I wasnt always a Halo fan, but 3 and Reach had such great stories that i wanted to know what happened next. I still havent played 4, but thats because im mostly a single player person and i dont want to pay more than $30 for it.navyguy21
What about Bioshock :?

#22 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

This is a stupid question.

Halo is still the identity of Xbox. 

#23 Posted by CARNAGES41 (314 posts) -

haha no

#24 Posted by foxhound_fox (95726 posts) -
Thats a shame. You should give it a shot. Big Team Scirmish is incredibly fun and I dont think there is ordinance drops in that mode.mems_1224
I did a few weeks back, but it's just not the same to what I'm used to in 3/Reach. It always felt different, and I can see that being good for some, it wasn't good for me. That and I didn't even bother finishing the campaign... but finished every other Halo before that.
#25 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -
will be giving halo one more chance. I heard they are pushing halo 5 back to halo 2/3 days so guess i will find out.
#26 Posted by HavocV3 (8025 posts) -

[QUOTE="mayceV"]Halo 4 >>Reach. foxhound_fox

^That.

H3 >> Reach >>>>>>>>>>> H4. 

#27 Posted by Ghost120x (4946 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ghost120x"]I haven't purchased halo 4 yet but after halo reach, and bungie's absence, I really think think the franchise will come to an end during the upcoming gen. Is halo the Mario of Microsoft and will never go away or will it perish under games like cod and battlefield?timbers_WSU

So you never played Halo 4,  Have no idea how good it is, and yet you think Halo is done? People are really stupid in this forum.

i haven't played 4 yet because I hated reach so much I skipped out on it. Though I haven't played, it i heard at launch the multi player was a mess which is also why I avoided it. Just because I didn't play 4 doesn't mean I can't comment on whether I think halo is relevant or not... I'm pretty sure the SW community could make this into a 30+ page thread on all the stupid comments you make (like this one) but I don't want things to get off topic.
#28 Posted by foxhound_fox (95726 posts) -
^That.

H3 >> Reach >>>>>>>>>>> H4. 

HavocV3
I'm personally a Reach guy, but 3 is definitely second best out of the main entries. ODST if spin-offs are included.
#29 Posted by navyguy21 (13991 posts) -

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]Halo is the only FPS series outside of Half Life that has an RPG-like story. Thats why i have come to like it. I wasnt always a Halo fan, but 3 and Reach had such great stories that i wanted to know what happened next. I still havent played 4, but thats because im mostly a single player person and i dont want to pay more than $30 for it.trollhunter2

The first Bioshock did, and plays so much like Fallout 3 imo. I LOVED the game. That said, i dont think Bioshock has a "universe" or one continuous story or lore behind it, at least Bioshock 2 didnt feel that way, and certainly not Infinite. I think Infinite was closer to the first game, and did a better job with story and characters. If they continue the storyline of infinite then it could get there. What i meant in my original post was how ME has a backstory and races that are a permanent fixture, and different story arcs for each. Bioshock didnt feel the same.
#30 Posted by uninspiredcup (21179 posts) -

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]Halo is the only FPS series outside of Half Life that has an RPG-like story. Thats why i have come to like it. I wasnt always a Halo fan, but 3 and Reach had such great stories that i wanted to know what happened next. I still havent played 4, but thats because im mostly a single player person and i dont want to pay more than $30 for it.trollhunter2

I'm not sure what an "rpg like story" is but halo is driven by cutscenes like all games ever. Halflife was entirely in-game scripted sequences (stil vastly superior design to games today btw). Halo done nothing other than dumb down controls. It's really it's only call to fame, showing how to simplify shooters for children. The industry is in a worse state because of it.

#31 Posted by timbers_WSU (6076 posts) -
[QUOTE="timbers_WSU"]

[QUOTE="Ghost120x"]I haven't purchased halo 4 yet but after halo reach, and bungie's absence, I really think think the franchise will come to an end during the upcoming gen. Is halo the Mario of Microsoft and will never go away or will it perish under games like cod and battlefield?Ghost120x

i haven't played 4 yet because I hated reach so much I skipped out on it. Though I haven't played, it i heard at launch the multi player was a mess which is also why I avoided it. Just because I didn't play 4 doesn't mean I can't comment on whether I think halo is relevant or not... I'm pretty sure the SW community could make this into a 30+ page thread on all the stupid comments you make (like this one) but I don't want things to get off topic.

Sorry. I am not gonna make false comments on a game I have never played. I am not stupid.
#32 Posted by uninspiredcup (21179 posts) -

[QUOTE="trollhunter2"]

[QUOTE="navyguy21"]Halo is the only FPS series outside of Half Life that has an RPG-like story. Thats why i have come to like it. I wasnt always a Halo fan, but 3 and Reach had such great stories that i wanted to know what happened next. I still havent played 4, but thats because im mostly a single player person and i dont want to pay more than $30 for it.navyguy21

The first Bioshock did, and plays so much like Fallout 3 imo. I LOVED the game. That said, i dont think Bioshock has a "universe" or one continuous story or lore behind it, at least Bioshock 2 didnt feel that way, and certainly not Infinite. I think Infinite was closer to the first game, and did a better job with story and characters. If they continue the storyline of infinite then it could get there. What i meant in my original post was how ME has a backstory and races that are a permanent fixture, and different story arcs for each. Bioshock didnt feel the same.

God, you console gamers.

45783-SystemShock2.jpg

"bioshock is teh innovites" "goo goo gaga" "mamee give me milk".

Gawd.

#33 Posted by XxR3m1xInHDn3D (2365 posts) -
Of course but Halo 3 was the last great Halo game (I also thought ODST and Wars were too but they were spin-offs)
#34 Posted by KaijuSlayer666 (44 posts) -

Hasn't been since the original trilogy. Everything after three was pretty much horrible although odst was ok. Im just glad reach and 4 sucked so bad and bungie quit making them so I had one more reason to drop the Xbox brand.

#35 Posted by navyguy21 (13991 posts) -

[QUOTE="navyguy21"][QUOTE="trollhunter2"]What about Bioshock :?

uninspiredcup

God, you console gamers.

45783-SystemShock2.jpg

"bioshock is teh innovites" "goo goo gaga" "mamee give me milk".

Gawd.

The hell are you talking about? I was a PC gamer for most of my life prior to this 7th gen, so im not sure why your response was needed. He asked about a specific game, i responded. No one said that there werent games on PC as good as Halo or anything like that.. Calm down
#36 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Halo is the only console shooter that is relevant to me. As far as for everyone else, Halo is still very popular, and I'm sure it'll get a few more games at least.

Halo 4 is really awesome now actually. Not as good as Halo 3, but it's better than Reach. My main problem is the ordnances (which aren't in every game type). That's one thing that should definitely go away in Halo 5.

#37 Posted by zassimick (9762 posts) -

It's still very relevant. As relevant as it was earlier this gen? I don't think so, but still relevant. 

Halo 4 has been my favorite in the series though. 343 nailed the campaign in a way that Bungie never did for me. I can't wait to see what 343 does with Halo on the Xbox One.

#38 Posted by super600 (32164 posts) -

Halo is definetly still relevant.It's not doomed, but I bet most of the halo fanbase will play halo 5 if it fixes some of the problems halo 4 still suffers from issues like the unbalanced ordinace drops, the lack of features and etc.Halo 4 is a pretty fun game when you don't have to deal with some of the more annoying elements.

#39 Posted by balfe1990 (6747 posts) -

Of course it is. How many exclusive franchises still sell by the many millions?

It's not as big as it's Halo 3 heyday, but it's still got an enviable fanbase. I look forward to seeing what Halo 5 will turn out like, even if there's only a small chance I'll ever play it.

#40 Posted by drekula2 (3349 posts) -

Halo 4 wasn't nearly as special to me as playing Halo 2 online for the first time, but nonetheless, Halo 4 is the only good shooter online.

#41 Posted by handssss (1905 posts) -

I actually like the story and the campaigns in general, but the last couple iterations of the MP have been severely underwhelming to me.

#42 Posted by Riverwolf007 (26011 posts) -

i would say that its days as a gaming phenom have run its course but i think it will do ok for another few games before the plug gets pulled.

nothing lasts forever.

#43 Posted by TheDidact (3986 posts) -
Campaign was one of the best in the series. mayceV
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
#44 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Don't think it can compete with the King, CoD.

#45 Posted by Consternated (848 posts) -
It's still relevant - it just isn't the biggest console FPS anymore. I quite enjoyed my time with Halo 3.
#46 Posted by TheDidact (3986 posts) -
343 turned Halo 4 around since launch. Its great now. There are still a lot of people playing it online. mems_1224
There are about 30,000/About 7,000,000 people who own the game playing online daily in a little over 6 months after launch. Reach had over 100,000 daily two years after launch and Halo 3 had over 500,000 daily 3 years after launch. That's terrible by Halo standards.
#47 Posted by TheDidact (3986 posts) -
will be giving halo one more chance. I heard they are pushing halo 5 back to halo 2/3 days so guess i will find out. k2theswiss
Where did you hear this? I'd really hope so.
#48 Posted by foxhound_fox (95726 posts) -
[QUOTE="mems_1224"]343 turned Halo 4 around since launch. Its great now. There are still a lot of people playing it online. TheDidact
There are about 30,000/About 7,000,000 people who own the game playing online daily in a little over 6 months after launch. Reach had over 100,000 daily two years after launch and Halo 3 had over 500,000 daily 3 years after launch. That's terrible by Halo standards.

"There's some people playing" isn't Halo standards. "There's a fvck-ton of people playing" is Halo standards. Hell, I bet there are as many people playing Halo 3 online currently as there are Halo 4.
#49 Posted by Spartan070 (16402 posts) -
[QUOTE="mayceV"]Campaign was one of the best in the series. TheDidact
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Then explain your username? :P
#50 Posted by Ricardomz (2715 posts) -

It is, but I don't think it remains as relevant as it was on its first three games.