Is fun still the reason people play games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 AA7
Member since 2003 • 2845 Posts

When I was little, a time that seems like an eternity ago, if I didn't like a video game I took it out, and didn't play it. If it wasn't fun I wouldn't play.

But have things changed?

People now buy games for on-line, many times to be social with "friends" rather than truly enjoy the experience.

People buy and play games all of the way through just to get achievements.

People will buy a console even if there are no games (heres looking at you cows) just because of the brand name.

Is gaming really about fun anymore?

Well...........post away.

Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Teh_Stevz
Member since 2005 • 5678 Posts
I don't know anymore. Considering the arguements we get constantly on these forums it seems many are agrivated with gaming rather than having fun. It's still an opinion that can't really hold as a good reason to herald a game better than another. The problem is choice... And monotony will be the downfall of humanity.
Bibbidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bibbidy
Member since 2006 • 636 Posts
[QUOTE="AA7"]People now buy games for on-line, many times to be social with "friends" rather than truly enjoy the experience. People buy and play games all of the way through just to get achievements.

Believe it or not, some weirdos find playing games online, having friends, and trying to get achievements fun. Freaks.
Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Teh_Stevz
[QUOTE="Bibbidy"][QUOTE="AA7"]People now buy games for on-line, many times to be social with "friends" rather than truly enjoy the experience. People buy and play games all of the way through just to get achievements.

Believe it or not, some weirdos find playng games online, having friends, and trying to get achievements fun. Freaks.

Believe it or not, it can be.
Ollivander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ollivander
Member since 2005 • 1975 Posts
Great question. And to some I feel isn't about fun anymore. It's all about boasting about thier achievements and Killing the most people online. It's a sad state in gaming when people will buy a game exclusively for the achievements.
Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts
I think "fun" in a videogame has evolved. There is the traditional fun... where all you do is play the game and enjoy the game. However with the advent of online gaming, I think that the fun has evolved to include being social. I think games will continue to evolve for a while yet.
Bibbidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Bibbidy
[QUOTE="Teh_Stevz"][QUOTE="Bibbidy"][QUOTE="AA7"]People now buy games for on-line, many times to be social with "friends" rather than truly enjoy the experience. People buy and play games all of the way through just to get achievements.

Believe it or not, some weirdos find playng games online, having friends, and trying to get achievements fun. Freaks.

Believe it or not, there is a wikipedia article you should read.
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

When I was little, a time that seems like an eternity ago, if I didn't like a video game I took it out, and didn't play it. If it wasn't fun I wouldn't play.

But have things changed?

People now buy games for on-line, many times to be social with "friends" rather than truly enjoy the experience.

People will buy a console even if there are no games (heres looking at you cows) just because of the brand name.

Is gaming really about fun anymore?

AA7
I don't see how any of that can't be fun. Besides the PS3 statement which isn't true since there are games out there for the PS3 that people do enjoy playing as of right now.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
nope. kinda sad.
Freakish_beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Freakish_beast
Member since 2004 • 266 Posts

As always, everytime i buy a game i read about it (ALLOT) and make sure i am going to enjoy it. I do look at certain features such as online because ever since have gotten hooked on it, it makes the game last longer to play with friends while still enjoying the game after you have beaten it for example Gears of War. I still do buy signle player games but rarely because i will play them once and than maybe a year later i will play it again such as Condemned.

The big reason why i bought an XBOX 360 first was because of all the games they showed at E3 and the ones i heard about mad eme want it because of the games that i got fasinated with. They all had my interest. I still want to get a PS3 but not right now since most of their games right now do not interest me and same goes with the Nintendo Wii.....My way still has not changed. Hell, i purchased a gamecube only for the resident evil series because i knew those games would be fun plus they had some otehr good games such as Mario Sunshine, timespitters, etc etc. Fun is the reason i play, it is my entertainment and it will be for many years to come 

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

If games werent' fun no one would ever play them. Sigh.

Teh_Stevz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Teh_Stevz
[QUOTE="Bibbidy"][QUOTE="Teh_Stevz"][QUOTE="Bibbidy"][QUOTE="AA7"]People now buy games for on-line, many times to be social with "friends" rather than truly enjoy the experience. People buy and play games all of the way through just to get achievements.

Believe it or not, I replaced the meter's batteries last Sunday. Seems to be working fine. The "[/sarcasm]" tag is our friend. :P
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts

But have things changed?

AA7
I still play for fun, thats why I feel GS underrated Crackdown. That game is so much fun to mess around in. I feel we often times forget why we started playing video games as a hobby, which is for fun, and have become to critical.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bread_or_Decide

But have things changed?

AA7

Do you ever stop to think..that some people find those things...FUN?

good lord man....

P2L5NM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 P2L5NM
Member since 2004 • 7428 Posts
no not anymore
Ollivander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ollivander
Member since 2005 • 1975 Posts
[QUOTE="AA7"]

But have things changed?

Bread_or_Decide

good lord man....

While for some sure it's fun. But I personally know people who have bought a game exclusively for the achievements, even well knowing they won't enjoy it.
Bibbidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bibbidy
[QUOTE="Teh_Stevz"] Believe it or not, I replaced the meter's batteries last Sunday. Seems to be working fine.

Well, I guess you screwed that up too. Hold on, wait, let me guess; your meter is made by Sony.
-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

It's one of the reasons I play videogames, but not the main reason. As graphics get better and better, I find that I play games to experience things I can't in real life instead of just laughing out loud. For example, I love racing in the Ferrari which I can't afford in real life, and in near photo realism too. Basically, I play to get a wow factor at times and have feelings I can't normally get. Things like adrenaline in Burnout, or emotion in Final Fantasy.

I also play games to pass the time. It's always good to play through a 100 hour title like Dragon Quest VIII since at the end of the tunnel you get a very satisfying feeling of completion. I would also even go so far as to say that I play games because I consider them an art form. For example, Metroid Prime and Shadow of the Colossus aren't *fun* games, but they are very beautiful and captivating games. It's nice when a part of them sticks with you even after it's all over, something not many purely fun games can do.

Drukter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Drukter
Member since 2006 • 1484 Posts
I dont know about you people, but I sure as **** play games to have fun.
Sinheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sinheart
Member since 2003 • 1705 Posts
i used to like games for fun... then for their stories... and now i'm finding a lot of games becoming an art form where I enjoy their theatrical qualities as well.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="AA7"]

But have things changed?

Ollivander

good lord man....

While for some sure it's fun. But I personally know people who have bought a game exclusively for the achievements, even well knowing they won't enjoy it.

Those people are idiots and don't constitute the majority of gamers.

Avatar image for TheChronoMaster
TheChronoMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheChronoMaster
Member since 2004 • 811 Posts

I know I sure as heck haven't been having as much fun recently.

Games are far too easy these days. Casual appeal, simplistic overall gameplay, and short game length all contribute to this. This would be fine, if the game was at least a joy to play. But I feel like I'm doing some kind of chore rather than really playing a game. Forums have contributed to this somewhat, with arguements and flame wars raging about everything I love and enjoy, and me having to open my mouth and contribute with logical information from a non-biased perspective. Brand names and franchises are the name of the game these days, heck, it used to be only the truely hardcore and stupid who cared if they were playing the SNES or the Genesis, as long as they were having fun. Recently, something seems to have gone terribly wrong with the world in general. Cynical and jaded people, not just gamers, sling mud on the competition while churning out products that rate just above mediocre, yet still get praised based on hype and initial impressions. Story and Graphics didn't use to matter in games, now they seem like the most important part. Now, all people care about is a ride for the senses, moving on automatic as they repeat nonsensical hand motions, with only the dimmest thought that they might actually be doing something. Thought is no longer a requirement, and no comprehension is necessary, just point and shoot.

There's nothing wrong with all this, of course, but when the number of poor and mediocre games on ANY given system grossly overwhelms the number of fun and original titles, something is going horribly wrong. Even Nintendo, the so-called kings of originality, has fallen into the trap of remakes and sequels overtaking original ideas and characters. This is to say nothing of Capcom, which churns out a new Megaman every other week, and EA, which doesn't actually need to do anything anymore. Gaming today should be the best ever, so why are all the offerings so poor?

[/rant]

KingTuttle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KingTuttle
Member since 2006 • 2471 Posts
[QUOTE="Bibbidy"][QUOTE="Teh_Stevz"][QUOTE="Bibbidy"][QUOTE="AA7"]People now buy games for on-line, many times to be social with "friends" rather than truly enjoy the experience. People buy and play games all of the way through just to get achievements.

Thanks for the laugh Bibbidy. On topic: I game for fun personally...if it wasnt fun I wouldnt do it. Its really that simple. There is enough crap in my life I have no control over that I am responsible for and can't get out of. If you don't have fun gaming and you still do it you need to find a new hobby - hopefully one that puts a smile on your face.
xxgunslingerxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 xxgunslingerxx
Member since 2005 • 4275 Posts

But have things changed?

AA7

wait so how many games does the wii have? oh yea 1 AAA and less AA then the ps3

Avatar image for TheChronoMaster
TheChronoMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheChronoMaster
Member since 2004 • 811 Posts
[QUOTE="AA7"]

But have things changed?

xxgunslingerxx

wait so how many games does the wii have? oh yea 1 AAA and less AA then the ps3

When the heck did he ever mention the Wii or PS3? Awfully defensive, aren't you?

kauliaris711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 kauliaris711
Member since 2006 • 161 Posts
that`s why we have so many genres to choose from,there are games for every taste... but i believe that we are playing games because it's a way of passing your time pleasantly...and that can change according to the gamers tastes..someone likes FPS,someone sports,personally i like racing,sports and adventure games...
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts
I play games for fun.
t2wave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 t2wave
Member since 2005 • 3258 Posts
Oh oh, that's why I play games. I usually don't play that many games because only a few really feel fun to me. That's pretty much why I only had one console last gen and just visited friends to play the few others the GC didn't have. Gaming is just a hobby to me.
AA7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AA7
Member since 2003 • 2845 Posts
Oh oh, that's why I play games. I usually don't play that many games because only a few really feel fun to me. That's pretty much why I only had one console last gen and just visited friends to play the few others the GC didn't have. Gaming is just a hobby to me.t2wave
And its a hobby for me too, thats why I play, its just a shame that more people dont think like that.