Is FF the best MMO out right now?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

With elder scrolls an apparent flop is it FF a realm reborn? Wow went downhill after vanilla imo and blizzard with all their money grubbing ways. FF is free better graphics and more up to date? Seems like elder scrolls is going to have to go back to the drawing board.

ARe people really that into mmo's these days where blizzard can even succeed with titan and as many people paying for it as they did with Wow? Seems like they just hit right at that time and people were suckers.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

What do u mean ff is free? I am playing it now on ps4. I still like wow more, I am more used to it and comfortable with it. I am giving ff a chance.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Celtic_34

It has gotten good reviews is why I ask. Also have been watching youtube stuff and it looks good. I used to like mmo's when they were more fun. the original diablo and wow were two of my favorite games. But they really turned me off with their bs. Not so much petty stuff just i saw blizzards attitude and what aholes they can be. Seems like FF is at least trying to give fans what they want.

i'm assuming it's free and not subscription based. just pay for teh game and that's it. I haven't played it. Just thinking of giving it a try.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Celtic_34

blizzard got really greedy with their eula stuff. they would kill people vs being cool people I swear lol. blizzard to me are not good people. they are crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

There is a monthly fee........ Play Guild Wars 2 if you don't want to pay every month.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

I can't compare, as I only play FFXIV. It's leaps and bounds better than 1.0, but that's all I can say.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

I am still getting used to controls in FF. Oh and finding where to go. I have a lot of trouble with that. In wow I always knew where to go or find out where easily. Maybe that's from years of playing it lol

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Currently, I have to say yes.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

World of Warcraft is still the "best" MMO out there if we're going to talk objectively. Easily the most content and most polish.

Final Fantasty 14 is a decent MMO now. Last I played it the game was a bit content thin. That was several major patches ago. I may fire it up again and play it some more.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#10 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Couldn't say as I hardly play any MMOs, but FFXIV is the only one to hook me. In fact, it's hooked me more than many other games have recently.

Looking forward to getting into it tomorrow.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Naw GW 2 is.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

WOW is still MMO king.

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

WoW, Guild Wars 2, and even Elder Scrolls Online is better than that even.

Still good though. :)

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

No. Tried a bit recently, it's certainly a colossal step up compared to the initial release, but still, it's hardly the best MMO. GW2 and WoW have it beat, and maybe ToR/Planetide 2 since they have very solid F2P payment models.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Vaasman said:

No. Tried a bit recently, it's certainly a colossal step up compared to the initial release, but still, it's hardly the best MMO. GW2 and WoW have it beat, and maybe ToR/Planetide 2 since they have very solid F2P payment models.

I hated GW2 because having classes felt pointless.

At least with FF14 there is the holy trinity where you feel needed.

GW2 just felt a lot more casual and easy going.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Snugenz
Member since 2006 • 13388 Posts

@Wasdie said:

World of Warcraft is still the "best" MMO out there if we're going to talk objectively. Easily the most content and most polish.

Final Fantasty 14 is a decent MMO now. Last I played it the game was a bit content thin. That was several major patches ago. I may fire it up again and play it some more.

This, plus that GCD is a killer (thank you consoles) it's the main thing that stopped me playing the game (lack of content being the other).

Even though i don't play it anymore the fluidity and polish WoW has is unmatched in the MMO genre.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#17 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58897 Posts

Guild Wars 2.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

MMO's Suck.

Whos excited for The Division ?

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Agree and agree. FFXIV is going to feel light on content until it gets it first expansion, I'd imagine. There's stuff to keep you busy, but a lot of redoing the same fights over and over at this point, even if it's with an increased difficulty level. Still, it's a strong MMO with a bright future. I wouldn't be surprised to hear something about an expansion at E3, now that they've got their platform launches done.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20 Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

Yes it is, in fact. It's the greatest MMO to ever be created

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

@Sweenix said:

Yes it is, in fact. It's the greatest MMO to ever be created

lol

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Wait, it's free?

onewiththegame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By onewiththegame
Member since 2004 • 4415 Posts

@MlauTheDaft:

No, $12.99 a month

If it was free I'd be playing it

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

All mmos suck

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@Krelian-co said:

Naw GW 2 is.

said no one that actually likes MMOs ever.

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26 XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

Yep. DC Universe is close, but FFRR is the best.

ninboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27  Edited By ninboxstation
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

Square-Enix is pushing, updating, balancing, polishing, expanding FFXIV on and on... (primal "extremre", new coils ect. ect..)

the mix of "very challenging" (coils 5-9) and "easy going" (fates, CT & ST) endgame content (with a very motivating gear/weapon upgrades and class system), nowonder more and more are saying, that FFXIV is developing into possibly the best MMO ever...(and it loooks gorgeous too.. its landscapes, gear/characters, ... even mounts)

just dont be fooled by its "medicore" mainstory and a few bland NPC characters during the "maingame", which is more like one long (and beautifull) tutorial... it takes off with the "endgame".. (which is FULL of things to do, master, collect ect. ect. ect..)

and because it (still) has a subrcription, Square-Enix is able to keep polishing and expanding FFXIV so well..., its way worth the subscritpion ammount...

check out my ablums/photos on Facebook "Rai TheNoblesse" for some "FFXIV" pics/impresssions (PS4)

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

The only thing I can think of which Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Re-released (because they fucked it up the first time round) does better than 'World of Decade-long Genre Domination-Craft' is the technical aspect of its graphics.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Don't bring up old shit

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#30 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@Krelian-co said:

Naw GW 2 is.

What's bad about Guild War 2? genuinely curious.

Never played any substantial mmo's myself. Never touched WoW, hated Final Fantasy 11 on the premise that my friends talked about it during lunch in high school (hey that's the most important class). Only really played PSO Ep 1, 2 which are mmo lite, episode 3 which is a travesty to fun, and City of Heroes because I mean come on. I was under the impression Guild Wars 2 was suppose to be a dope game. Was wanting to finally try that and WoW this year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@jg4xchamp said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@Krelian-co said:

Naw GW 2 is.

Never played any substantial mmo's myself. Never touched WoW, hated Final Fantasy 11 on the premise that my friends talked about it during lunch in high school (hey that's the most important class). Only really played PSO Ep 1, 2 which are mmo lite, episode 3 which is a travesty to fun, and City of Heroes because I mean come on. I was under the impression Guild Wars 2 was suppose to be a dope game. Was wanting to finally try that and WoW this year.

I'm overly harsh on it. but it boils down to being a flashy 1 time playthrough (because after that it is boring as sin) with alot to explore and do once.... but then its end game is horrible for PvE fans (most of the genre...) and the lack of trinity makes it the most mindless dps spam game in existience.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#32 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Aww... this thread getting bumped reminds me that I haven't played FFXIV for so long because of how busy I've been. I really need to play it again, though it may not be for another month till I can. #sadchocobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Depends what you want... a flashy MMO with lots to grind and play dress up? absolutely..... it has those FF production values.

Are you raider? if so... no.... 1 dungeon per 6 months that is incredibly short and is only 8 man.

PvP focused? no ...... the queues are already long and its been out 3 weeks... and its... ok .... but there are far better games.

Its a very nice casual MMO. but if your competitive in any element of an MMO... there are better alternatives.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jg4xchamp

@MBirdy88 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I'm overly harsh on it. but it boils down to being a flashy 1 time playthrough (because after that it is boring as sin) with alot to explore and do once.... but then its end game is horrible for PvE fans (most of the genre...) and the lack of trinity makes it the most mindless dps spam game in existience.

Lacking content, shallow (ideal word given no reason for healer or tank right?), and no replay value. Hmm, but as a one of still worth a spin? Albeit the battle system being boring sounds lame.

Thoughts on how WoW stacks up? I know I can **** with it for the first 20 levels for free, not sure if I want to go that extra mile, because cheap.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Snugenz

It's a good MMO and probably the best on consoles but on PC Wildstar has it beat.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@jg4xchamp said:

@MBirdy88 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Lacking content, shallow (ideal word given no reason for healer or tank right?), and no replay value. Hmm, but as a one of still worth a spin? Albeit the battle system being boring sounds lame.

Thoughts on how WoW stacks up? I know I can **** with it for the first 20 levels for free, not sure if I want to go that extra mile, because cheap.

Well it has no sub, so its content packed for what it is, and you may like the PvP. Its worth a playthrough. but if you are looking for a competitive end-game that lasts in PvE (which WoW still does bet.... now followed by Wildstar/Rift) then not really.

Its a decent game... just a poor end-gamed MMO.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jg4xchamp

Wildstar is legit?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

World of Warcraft is still probably the best MMO on the market in terms of content, features, and completeness. A lot of people don't like the gameplay of WoW or are simply bored of it after nearly a decade of playing it. However you can't deny it's existing presence.

FF is a decent MMO that's gotten a lot better since launch. It has a good future. Guild Wars 2 is still going strong despite my lack of interest in the design.

Elder Scrolls Online was DoA. Wildstar is good but has some issues. Some future MMOs like Archage and Black Desert have a lot to prove and I don't have high hopes for it. I think the next big thing in MMOs is stuff like Star Citizen and Elite dangerous as the market is already over saturated with more traditional MMORPGs.

@jg4xchamp said:

Wildstar is legit?

It's got very solid core gameplay but there is a lot of issues with its design. It could be the finest MMO on the market if they addressed some of the issues, which they should in time.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Wasdie: i guess even mods don't notice when they post in a 3 month old thread

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#40 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

The issue I have is that the Elder Scrolls MMO doesn't play like Elder Scrolls. They should have just poked Turbine (who make LOTRO) to do the same thing, only with more ES and less LOTR.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Wasdie  Moderator
@jg4xchamp said:

Do not star WoW from scratch. I tried. Without gear that allows you to quickly level up that you can only get if you already have a max level character it takes forever to level up.

I started a Human Paladin for the Alliance last year with the goal of being level 90 and doing Pandaria raids. I had over 6 days of in-game play time and I was still only level 86. It's a massive time sink and extremely repetitive.

WoW is no longer for new players. WoW now caters to its long standing audience.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wasdie  Moderator

@lostrib said:

@Wasdie: i guess even mods don't notice when they post in a 3 month old thread

Eh it happens. Given there is some discussion and the topic isn't exactly out of date, I'll keep it up.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15564 Posts

@jg4xchamp: simply dont think of gw2 as a traditional MMO, more of a sandbox/ single player rpg with your 1000 best friends, and you'll probably enjoy it. People mostly get hung up on endgame, but even if you stop when you finish leveling you're still getting a shitload of solid content for the price. If you don't already play WoW, don't play WoW. Unless you plan to be in it for the long haul it isn't worth looking at. The early content is dull as **** even after they updated it. WoW is only on top of the endgame anymore, other games do everything else better. Not to mention, Blizzard's price points for certain items and services are absolutely heinous.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

A Realm Reborn isn't free, but yes, IMO it's the best MMO on the market right now.

WoW has become so easy and so incredibly dumbed down that it's ridiculous.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

@Vaasman said:

@jg4xchamp: simply dont think of gw2 as a traditional MMO, more of a sandbox/ single player rpg with your 1000 best friends, and you'll probably enjoy it. People mostly get hung up on endgame, but even if you stop when you finish leveling you're still getting a shitload of solid content for the price. If you don't already play WoW, don't play WoW. Unless you plan to be in it for the long haul it isn't worth looking at. The early content is dull as **** even after they updated it. WoW is only on top of the endgame anymore, other games do everything else better.

.... its completely a theme park, it has no sandbox elements. no, a more accurate desciprtion is "think of world of warcraft, with a slightly different approach to leveling, and a level sync that still makes you overpowered for the content .... then take away any resembelence of a decent way to play at max level."

There is nothing sandbox about it over WoW. it has all the same trappings of any other MMO other than picking up quests... and random events are not even specific to it.

Its in every way a traditional MMO without any solid direction. a mish mash.

Also 6 days played to level 90 on WoW? cmon Wasdia sounds like a personal issue.....

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Wasdie said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Do not star WoW from scratch. I tried. Without gear that allows you to quickly level up that you can only get if you already have a max level character it takes forever to level up.

I started a Human Paladin for the Alliance last year with the goal of being level 90 and doing Pandaria raids. I had over 6 days of in-game play time and I was still only level 86. It's a massive time sink and extremely repetitive.

WoW is no longer for new players. WoW now caters to its long standing audience.

Or OR OR, we could be bros and like go through it together n stuff.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Wasdie  Moderator

@jg4xchamp said:

Maybe. WoW's leveling is much more tailored for a solo experience unless you run all dungeons on your level. Then it could be fun.

Snugenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Snugenz

@Wasdie said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Maybe. WoW's leveling is much more tailored for a solo experience unless you run all dungeons on your level. Then it could be fun.

Or if you really cba and don't mind a little extortion you could always buy the level 90 boost :P

Speaking of which i still have to use mine from my WoD purchase, wish i could sell it like CREDD.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

I'd say yes. As someone whose been an active subscriber since last year. It's also the only game that has been keeping my ps4 from obtaining dust.

rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts

GW2 is a tiresome bore, the only good part of the game are world bosses but they are so few and far between that the game strings you along with filler for a few good moments. Ech, I can't stand the tedious questing of guild wars 2, you go to a random place and do the kill 10 of x, hit y switch, protect z same thing over and over and over and it's never that fun.