Is Fallout 4 even a RPG? (Confirmed 30 fps, Best on PC)

• 190 results
Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#101 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@-God- said:
@mems_1224 said:

fallout 3 by far.

FO3 sucks, but Fo4 will be worse

I admire your ability to predict the future, almighty god.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@-God-: Link?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

You'd think people would be happier Bethesda is atleast making an attempt to make a game that actually has good gameplay instead of just cramming more stats and levels and all that.

Oh well...

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#104 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

If the Toddler and Bethesda are behind it......it will suck. But I don't think it will suck as bad as FO3.

My only real concern is giving us only 4 dialog options and whether or not the story will be on rails. I personally can't stand games like Minecrap, so will avoid the "build your own settlement" aspect of the game until after I've beaten it.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#105 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

You'd think people would be happier Bethesda is atleast making an attempt to make a game that actually has good gameplay instead of just cramming more stats and levels and all that.

Oh well...

Bethesda is looking to completely dismantle what makes Fallout such a unique series in the first place, from the lore to the role-playing mechanics. I couldn't care less about their attempts in making a game with good gameplay. Ever since Oblivion, those attempts have been falling short.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Boddicker

@drinkerofjuice said:
@Lulu_Lulu said:

Oh well...

Bethesda is looking to completely dismantle what makes Fallout such a unique series in the first place, from the lore to the role-playing mechanics. I couldn't care less about their attempts in making a game with good gameplay. Ever since Oblivion, those attempts have been falling short.

Agreed. It's sad to see what Bethesda has done with the once paragon of gaming.

But franchises come and go. The FO franchise is no different.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

So is the no survival mode confirmed? Thats a bit of a let down...

Or is TC still bummed out about the fur physics and continuing his FO4 smear campaign? I really dont like misinformation in OPs.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts
@Lulu_Lulu said:

Oh well...

They've been removing stats since morrowind....... Skyrim without attributes and it's shitty combat sucked.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Some of you guys seemingly can't quit talking about a game that you supposedly have zero interest in

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 -God-

@frank_castle said:

Some of you guys seemingly can't quit talking about a game that you supposedly have zero interest in

I have interest in Fallout, I do not want it to be Farcry reskinned, but that is sadly too late.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@glez13 said:
@remiks00 said:

wtf...no skills?

EDIT: I can't lie, that scares me a bit. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it pans out. What about character levels & perks? Are they not in the game as well?

also, I haven't played New Vegas yet.

Perks are still in the game, same as levels. The only thing missing in the Pipboy is skills. Also the description of Intelligence shows that it only influences the amount of experience earned.

Which is almost guaranteed to make Int worthless, just like Cha is in F3/NV, unless we're going to be content limited; which is highly unlikely.

There must be more to it, I'm sure they are'nt making stats less significant than they already are.

Edit: Seriously, what's up with Cha? I set mine at 1, tagged speech and can easily make do with some skillpoints and magazines/books. What do you need it for? Does anyone put points in bartering? the skill just gets worse as the game goes on, so all you're missing are a few dialogue options, which all can be replaced with better skills like Science, Repair or lockpicking.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@-God-:

Well I did say it was an attempt.... I never said it was going work. ;)

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

TC most of your post is currently unproven. this should be made clear that its a guess based on what you seen on the E3 conference

Avatar image for quakeknight1991
quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 quakeknight1991
Member since 2006 • 1528 Posts
@RedentSC said:

TC most of your post is currently unproven. this should be made clear that its a guess based on what you seen on the E3 conference

i would not be suprised if all those thing do actually happen though.

RedentSC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By RedentSC
Member since 2013 • 1243 Posts

@quakeknight1991: yeah but besides the point really. Some things i doubt like armour confined to the power armour and stuff

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@RedentSC said:

@quakeknight1991: yeah but besides the point really. Some things i doubt like armour confined to the power armour and stuff

Armor isn't confined to power armor. They already showed that armor has more pieces per set than just chest and helmet.

robokill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 robokill
Member since 2007 • 1392 Posts

They'll screw it up, Bethesda is slowly watering down their games just like Bioware. Big money = assuming gamers are dumb = gameplay reduced to mmo grinding. Won't be surprised if it's like Dragon Age Inquisition in that the areas are filled with meaningless grinding.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

@Boddicker said:

If the Toddler and Bethesda are behind it......it will suck. But I don't think it will suck as bad as FO3.

My only real concern is giving us only 4 dialog options and whether or not the story will be on rails. I personally can't stand games like Minecrap, so will avoid the "build your own settlement" aspect of the game until after I've beaten it.

Don't think it will suck as bad ? Their great lead designer/writer from Fallout 3 (Emil Pagliarulo) is back for 4 !

Loading Video...

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 glez13

@MlauTheDaft said:
@glez13 said:
@remiks00 said:

wtf...no skills?

EDIT: I can't lie, that scares me a bit. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it pans out. What about character levels & perks? Are they not in the game as well?

also, I haven't played New Vegas yet.

Perks are still in the game, same as levels. The only thing missing in the Pipboy is skills. Also the description of Intelligence shows that it only influences the amount of experience earned.

Which is almost guaranteed to make Int worthless, just like Cha is in F3/NV, unless we're going to be content limited; which is highly unlikely.

There must be more to it, I'm sure they are'nt making stats less significant than they already are.

Edit: Seriously, what's up with Cha? I set mine at 1, tagged speech and can easily make do with some skillpoints and magazines/books. What do you need it for? Does anyone put points in bartering? the skill just gets worse as the game goes on, so all you're missing are a few dialogue options, which all can be replaced with better skills like Science, Repair or lockpicking.

Yes it seems that Intelligence will be the new Charisma. If the game is anything like 3 or NV the one thing you want to do less is level up and gaining less experience is the perfect way to do it. Because in 3 like in half game you maxed out and in NV like around 3/4 in. I'm replaying NV right now and I'm using the less XP mod at 30%.

Yes, Charisma is useless unless you really want to play hardcore almost normally with your companions without using mods or reloading a lot.

Wouldn't surprise me if they go with a system similar to Skyrim were perks are the only ones that will help you specialize in stuff. Hopefully it won't be a skill tree again.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

I'm playing a hand made character with a playstyle and role I define, therefore it is an RPG

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@glez13: Yeah, I'm thinking something akin to Skyrim with an emphasis on crafting. Honestly, with the formular, they're going for, they might as well do away with some bloat.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 -God-

@wis3boi said:

I'm playing a hand made character with a playstyle and role I define, therefore it is an RPG

Looks like several action games just became RPGs

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#123 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56040 Posts

Not surprised and am fine with it. There are only a few genres I think need to have 60 frames and Fallout isn't in one of them. Fighting games and Tony Hawk games are some that I think are needed. Let's just get a playable [wishful thinking] game on release day, and I'm sure we'll all be happy.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

@frank_castle imagine if someone took one of your favorite franchises, dragged it through the dirt and robbed it of any of its soul. That is what Fallout 4 (and 3) is to us.

@wis3boi said:

So SSB4 is an RPG then? Mii characters are just that :P

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

I'd like to ask Todd Howard whether this game will have the classic Fallout feature of playing a character who is too dumb to articulate sentences.

It'd be fun to hear him spin his usual bullshit, this time about how fewer roleplaying features actually enhances the roleplaying.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

"If it isn't structured like a game from 1993, doesn't have DnD stats (STR, DEX, INT, etc...), or use a 20 sided die, it's NOT an RPG, hurrrrr."

Tired old argument.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#127 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@davillain- said:

Not surprised and am fine with it. There are only a few genres I think need to have 60 frames and Fallout isn't in one of them. Fighting games and Tony Hawk games are some that I think are needed. Let's just get a playable [wishful thinking] game on release day, and I'm sure we'll all be happy.

Just in case you didnt know. It's only locked to 30 faps on the console versions. Also, I agree with your highlighted statement; so tired of getting broken ass launches.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Maroxad  Online
@AdobeArtist said:

"If it isn't structured like a game from 1993, doesn't have DnD stats (STR, DEX, INT, etc...), or use a 20 sided die, it's NOT an RPG, hurrrrr."

Tired old argument.

Strawman. Nobody needs those conventions to classify a game as an RPG. Heck, an RPG doesnt even need attributes to qualify. All it needs is an emphasis on allowing you to properly roleplay your character through his strengths and weaknesses. Heck, an RPG doesnt even need levels,

http://store.steampowered.com/app/248860/

Problem with Fallout 4 is that it offers very little to support roleplaying and even went out of its way to add features that will detract from them (dialogue wheel). Attributes from the looks of things will not determine your limitations and strengths and from the looks of things will only be minor statistical differences.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@AdobeArtist said:

Tired old argument.

Strawman. Nobody needs those conventions to classify a game as an RPG. Heck, an RPG doesnt even need attributes to qualify. All it needs is an emphasis on allowing you to properly roleplay your character through his strengths and weaknesses. Heck, an RPG doesnt even need levels,

Problem with Fallout 4 is that it offers very little to support roleplaying and even went out of its way to add features that will detract from them (dialogue wheel). Attributes from the looks of things will not determine your limitations and strengths and from the looks of things will only be minor statistical differences.

- You can still create your own character

- You still assign stats/abilities

- You still do a variety of missions/quests

- You still have a variety of weapons and armor (and it's now a layered armor system ala Morrowind)

- You still interact with a multitude of NPC's

Sure sounds like an RPG to me. It may not still have the heavy duty, isometric RPG elements that the series had in the 90's, but it's still a pretty damn fun series.

A fun game is a fun game.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Boddicker

@bussinrounds said:
@Boddicker said:

Don't think it will suck as bad ? Their great lead designer/writer from Fallout 3 (Emil Pagliarulo) is back for 4 !

Loading Video...

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Maroxad  Online

@frank_castle said:
@Maroxad said:
@AdobeArtist said:

Tired old argument.

- You still have a variety of weapons and armor (and it's now a layered armor system ala Morrowind)

Sure sounds like an RPG to me. It may not still have the heavy duty, isometric RPG elements that the series had in the 90's, but it's still a pretty damn fun series.

None of those define an RPG though. In fact, many of them have creeped into other genres.

STALKER involves the last 3 points. Borderlands involves the last 4 points. And Soul Calibur involves the first 4 points. And So does splatoon. None of those are RPGs. When you have a person with 1 intelligence outsmart a super computer. The game certainly does not pass as an RPG as far as I am concerned.

As a matter of fact, there are Strategy games (that advertise themselves as strategy games) that feel more like an RPG than Fallout 3 (which advertised itself as an RPG), and gives the imrpession of being more of an RPG than Fallout 4 as well.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6058 Posts

That list just sounds awful. What is wrong with them?

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#133 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I'm normally optimistic about things, but nothing on that list is appealing. For example, I thought the lack of weapon degradation was fine in Skyrim, but Fallout is a series that is all about a warped future where everything sucks. Life should be hard and things should constantly break down on you.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#134 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@frank_castle said:
@Maroxad said:
@AdobeArtist said:

Tired old argument.

None of those define an RPG though. In fact, many of them have creeped into other genres.

STALKER involves the last 3 points. Borderlands involves the last 4 points. And Soul Calibur involves the first 4 points. And So does splatoon. None of those are RPGs. When you have a person with 1 intelligence outsmart a super computer. The game certainly does not pass as an RPG as far as I am concerned.

As a matter of fact, there are Strategy games (that advertise themselves as strategy games) that feel more like an RPG than Fallout 3 (which advertised itself as an RPG), and gives the imrpession of being more of an RPG than Fallout 4 as well.

get back on your porch and take your cane ;)

Pitbulllova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#135 Pitbulllova
Member since 2008 • 807 Posts

im still preordering the pip boy edition. Although im kinda disspointed at how the super mutants look. They look amazing in terms of graphics, BUT they don't look bad ass anymore :/ Theyre my favourite bad guys, even infront of locusts.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#136 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

The less RPG elements there are, the better. Especially for this game.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 glez13

@tech1crux said:
@glez13 said:
@tech1crux said:
  • No weapon degradation. >>This is not confirmed, actually I've been trying to find where in the E3 footage I saw it, but I saw "Repair" listed somewhere, and locked it to memory...I guess I'll have to go back frame-by-frame again, cause it wasn't in the part I thought it was x.x

From what I have seen only power armor has a repair option.

Ah, maybe that's where I saw it. We also have yet to see if there's any normal armor crafting or damage...the thing for weapons was "Weapon Workbench" if there was no armor I'd expect "Workbench" but it depends, either way I'm mostly stoked about everything. There was some feature I had noticed (if I remember it I'll let you know) and I was explaining it to my fiance, while I did I went in depth to what that would lead to in-game and had to stop and be like "Wow...the feature adds so much to the game...". kind sucks w/e it was slipped my mind >.<, but like I said if I remember I'll likely tag it on this post as an edit.

Maybe what you noticed is what I just noticed right now. To craft laser weapons you need science and for ballistic weapons gun nut. But most probably these are perks that you can take various times because they refer to them in ranks and the ones they showed were low numbers highest being 4.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

Ah, yes. The obligatory "Fallout 4 Reality Thread," as is tradition.

Avatar image for quakeknight1991
quakeknight1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By quakeknight1991
Member since 2006 • 1528 Posts

@AdobeArtist said:

Tired old argument.

Indeed. If it does not have those it is action game or shooter but not an RPG. One of the key elements of an RPG is character progression and for that you need stats.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

@quakeknight1991 said:
@AdobeArtist said:

Tired old argument.

Indeed. If it does not have those it is action game or shooter but not an RPG. One of the key elements of an RPG is character progression and for that you need stats.

Did you really not see the sarcasm in my post, or just glossing it over? But even going by your criteria, Fallout does have character progression. It may not be the old school DnD set as previously described, but there is a stat set relevant to Fallout's world setting more suitable to the post apocalyptic gameplay experience it's creating rather than medieval fantasy.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 -God-

IF this is a RPG then so is Farcry and Batman.

nuff' said.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#142 elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

the skills and special options in 3 and New Vegas didn't mean much to the gameplay. mainly just added some extra dialogue, areas\items to find, and increased some hit chances. this part of the "rpg" aspect in Fallout being removed shouldn't effect the game at all. i will be disappointed if VATS is removed though.

i haven't seen anything about the PC version being stuck with just a dialogue wheel for conversation. but if so, what's the difference between pointing at a particular angle or picking a certain number? an action wheel for gear\weapons without separate key binding would be a horrible move though.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 -God-

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

The less RPG elements there are, the better. Especially for this game.

Agreed I always wanted to play CoD in Fallout world.

elessarGObonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#144  Edited By elessarGObonzo
Member since 2008 • 2677 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@frank_castle said:

where's your world-wide agreed upon definition of what does make an RPG then? just if you personally feel it is?

i see this same argument on every RPG game's threads where some group or individual is ranting about how, "no one knows what an "RPG" is anymore and none of these games mentioned apply". but i have never seen any of you provide an exact definition of what a role-playing game is outside of, "they are, because i say they are".

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

The hipsters are out in force.

It doesn't have 30 stats, muh rpg

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By -God-

@Krelian-co said:

But now it has the same rpg of batman or farcry, lol.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@-God- said:
@Krelian-co said:

But now it has the same rpg of batman or farcry, lol.

sure it does... didn't know batman or far cry had character creation, quest hubs, dialogue and decisions system, a well done inventory system, etc etc. "the same"

But hey, you hipsters will say the first dumb thing that coems to mind to try and prove a point, MUH RPG.

Let's face it, there will be always be annoying morons that will hate any popular game, and fallout 4 is one of the most popular out there, of course you guys would come with "reasons" to not like it.

You guys are the gaming equivalent of this guy. "it is simply too mainstream, leave fallout to the masses" lol xD

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#148 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@jethrovegas said:

Would it not suffice to say it's simply a poor one? Fallout 3, for example, though foolishly designed from top to bottom and lacking most those features valued by CRPG fans, is, at least, an attempt at the genre. It just came off very badly as it was written and designed by buffoons. To say that Bethesda isn't making RPGs pardons their idiocy. They are making them, they're just screwing the pooch at every chance.

That is pretty much it.

Throw in the part that their games are buggy, messy, have shit mechanics, have poor questing, have poor level and world design, go out of their way to ruin any sense of atmosphere those games have, and the larger question is how the **** is this shit celebrated? Those games suck.

UltimateImp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#149 UltimateImp
Member since 2015 • 1192 Posts

What's with Krelian-co's buttcrack being open so wide for Bethesda that he starts childishly name-calling anyone who doesn't agree that a game, that has yet to be released, is anything but awesome? Ease up on the name calling, little one.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By -God-

@Krelian-co said:

Or you know, I could not like it because of the actual reasons I listed in the OP.

Sounds a bit more feasible than those tin-foil hat theories you just posted.

Also take your meds.