Is Fallout 4 even a RPG? (Confirmed 30 fps, Best on PC)

• 190 results
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Good idea for Beth to cut out more RPG systems. They just need to focus on making better action gameplay/combat, because their writing and bs RPG mechanics will be laughable anyways..

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

To be honest the voiced PC doesn't concern me too much since they are doing a more personal story.

There are theories that your spouse or child return as a GHOUL and are a major enemy, fucking awesome. Too bad they scrapped so many RPG elements.

@the_master_race said:
@-God- said:

Updated news HOT off the presses! 30 FPS confirmed for the two weak consoles this generation.

Fallout 4 director Todd Howard confirmed the news to Digital Spy at this year's E3 gaming expo.

"It is 1080p on everything," he said, before confirming that it would run at 30fps and not 60fps

they better not lock it on PC cuz 30 fps is really a deal breaker

Of course they weren't talking about PC.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29822 Posts

So don't play it, TC. We'll all continue not giving a **** what you think.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

source?

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#55 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

One more thing, i see you praise skyrim's graphics(modded) yet you hate bethesda. do you play graphics instead of games? (considering you don't have a pc i guess it's true)
and RPG is role playing game. man, even god don't understand what RPG means.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By -God-

@rekthard said:

One more thing, i see you praise skyrim's graphics(modded) yet you hate bethesda. do you play graphics instead of games? (considering you don't have a pc i guess it's true)

I guess farcry4 and gtav were rpg's, since they actually have more rpg elements than Fo4.

Avatar image for Midnightshade29
Midnightshade29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 301

#57 Midnightshade29
Member since 2008 • 6003 Posts

@-God-: not buying the game now... hype deflated preorder cancelled... screw them. We have enough actuon shooters screw u bethesda..

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 REKThard

@-God- said:
@rekthard said:

I guess farcry4 and gtav were rpg's, since they actually have more rpg elements than Fo4.

So you have played FO4?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#59 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@-God- said:
@rekthard said:

We don't believe in you god, you're a fictional character from a fairy tale.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 -God-

@speedfreak48t5p said:
@-God- said:
@rekthard said:

I guess you think Jesus was also fake then.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#61 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@-God- said:
@speedfreak48t5p said:
@-God- said:
@rekthard said:

I guess you think Jesus was also fake then.

Indeed I do.

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#62  Edited By remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

wtf...no skills?

EDIT: I can't lie, that scares me a bit. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it pans out. What about character levels & perks? Are they not in the game as well?

also, I haven't played New Vegas yet.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Fallout 3 already was moving the series away from an RPG and I think the majority would agree it was the right decision. New Vegas was more of a shooter than Fallout 3 was and I enjoyed it more. Just felt more natural.

The label of the game doesn't really matter. Fallout works very well as an action game and Bethesda isn't trying to shoehorn in arbitrary RPG gameplay mechanics that are not a natural fit. If this means less of an RPG feel then so be it.

New Vegas was also more of an RPG than Fallout 3. More player agency, more in-depth character building, more play styles and overall much more roleplaying.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

@remiks00 said:

wtf...no skills?

EDIT: I can't lie, that scares me a bit. I guess I'll have to wait and see how it pans out. What about character levels & perks? Are they not in the game as well?

also, I haven't played New Vegas yet.

Perks are still in the game, same as levels. The only thing missing in the Pipboy is skills. Also the description of Intelligence shows that it only influences the amount of experience earned.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 glez13

Ugh just noticed that there is no weapon degradation on the Pipboy. That was one of the biggest flaws in Skyrim. This game seems to get worse the more I see into it. It really looks like it will be Skyrim with guns.

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

People here acting like they've already played the game. If you're looking for hardcore, stat-based gameplay from a Bethesda game, you're an idiot. Bethesda hasn't been about that for awhile (tbh even Morrowind, after the beginning parts of the game, didn't really feel like a "hard-core" stats-based RPG either). If you want deep RPG mechanics there are plenty of other games, and, in my experience, heavily stat-based open world games don't really work to well as after the first parts of the game, the game usually gets easier as you become more powerful, and meticulously improving your stats loses meaning after awhile.

Although, I am concerned, as a couple people have pointed out, that Bethesda focuses too much on combat, and gives us little other ways to play the game. Playing a charismatic, non violent, character should be just as viable as playing a gun-slinger. I hope, Bethesda gives us more ways to play the game, other than shooting things.

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#67 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@xdude85 said:

/thread

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Ever played Stalker?

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 REKThard

@blangenakker said:

Ever played Stalker?

+1
Stalker is shooter focused yet it's praised by PC Gamers.
So why the hate for Fallout 4?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#70 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

Wow, I could very easily pass this game up, add together all the listed non-features and my worries they're abandoning quest writing and there's nearly nothing left for me to consider... I mean, if it were some features missing I'd be on the fence, it'd be hard to decide whether to get it or whether to reluctantly give it a chance. Here, they're nearly giving me every reason to just straight up ignore it.

Tech1Crux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Tech1Crux
Member since 2015 • 26 Posts

• No Skills. Every player is same with all weapons. >>>ACTUALLY Skills and Perks have just been combined into a less sloppy system, which we'll know more about when we see the "Perk Chart", my guess is things like Gun Nut or Science will effect more likely VATS for the RPG person, and maybe sway/recoil or such for the FPS approaches....hmm...skill tree? Sounds RPG
  • No Crit Chance. Numbers are scary! >>>FALSE During normal (non-VATS) shooting, criticals are based on a RNG/Stats, however in VATS they use...we'll call it a limit break system...you know...to throw in some RPG.
  • Focused on mainly "shooter mechanics", hired id and bungie employees for help. (Explains the two above points.) >>>>Last time I checked, there's still melee weapons and other things to still relate this to an ACTION RPG. This isn't a tactical RPG, it's a 1st and 3rd person one, VATS already breaks the FPS thing with a "lock on" feature, the normal shooting should feel like REAL SHOOTING, part of a good RPG is putting you in the characters shoes.
  • Power Armor isn't armor, it's a vehicle you enter for certain quests and areas. >>>ALSO UNPROVEN. Power armor just functions as it always should have, not as heavy armor, but the kind you need TRAINING to use, it's fully customizable now, and stands out among other tiers of armor. YES there may be some places where you can't take it (not confirmed) but there is one suit and likely everyone will use PA at some point now...I used to just avoid it completely.
  • Dialogue Wheel and Voiced PC. >>>This makes it less RPG how? Back in the day (before voice was a thing) of video RPGs, we had crappy looking pre-defined character that you could MAYBE name, after that we had better looking predefined characters with no voice (and could maybe name them), then we hit the era of voiced characters...and this would be before hitting the era of much customization, and a large majority of these RPGs had little in way of choice outside of maybe an open-world. Now you sit at a point, where we can have FULLY customizable and nameable characters (who look human this time) WITH a voice to better portray the ROLE and STORY, and still freedom of choice, skill and direction...and this makes it less ROLE-playing how?
  • Companion can't die. >>>but as they said, most people just re-load after losing a companion anyway. This is also likely an easy fix thru the console or a mod. You can bet they can still get knocked unconscious removing them from a fight. I always found myself setting companions to essential, and having a few non-essential to keep it interesting.
  • No weapon degradation. >>This is not confirmed, actually I've been trying to find where in the E3 footage I saw it, but I saw "Repair" listed somewhere, and locked it to memory...I guess I'll have to go back frame-by-frame again, cause it wasn't in the part I thought it was x.x
  • No Survival mode. >>>This is not confirmed, but even if it's true this is a good reason to play these games on PC where they belong. You can't please everyone, but with a good foundation and awesome modmakers, you CAN. However due to NV's success and the fact that Bethesda Softworks still had CONTROL over the production of FO3 AND FONV, they simply had Obsidian develope it as Bethesda Game Studios was doing other stuff, Expect it to have all the additions of NV, and more. PS: Survival mode or not...how does this point effect it being an RPG?
  • So in the end, it is an RPG, maybe not the FO game YOU want, but it's an RPG, set in the Fallout universe and Fallout lore...hell the FPS vs RPG thing is stupid...if you can have MMORPG and Action RPG, you can have FPSRPG.
  • It's ROLE-playing, not YOU-playing.
Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#72  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I hope they keep some RPG elements as well as weapon degradation. I don't want it to be like Rage

Avatar image for deactivated-5b883bb846c10
deactivated-5b883bb846c10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 deactivated-5b883bb846c10
Member since 2015 • 1043 Posts

RPGs have a lot of variety these days. Mass Effect is an RPG and it looks like a shooter to some. As long as Fallout has core RPG features it shouldnt matter. The game looks fine and is one of my most hyped games of 2015.

Only dislike is a talking protagonist.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#74  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Sourceless thread, please lock.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

Who cares? Does labeling the genre add to the experience?

It asks me to manage my character growth in a decision filled world.... And it's crazy fun.

Shibua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Shibua
Member since 2014 • 467 Posts

I blame consoles

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 glez13

@tech1crux said:

• No weapon degradation. >>This is not confirmed, actually I've been trying to find where in the E3 footage I saw it, but I saw "Repair" listed somewhere, and locked it to memory...I guess I'll have to go back frame-by-frame again, cause it wasn't in the part I thought it was x.x

From what I have seen only power armor has a repair option.

Tech1Crux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Tech1Crux

@glez13 said:
@tech1crux said:

From what I have seen only power armor has a repair option.

Ah, maybe that's where I saw it. We also have yet to see if there's any normal armor crafting or damage...the thing for weapons was "Weapon Workbench" if there was no armor I'd expect "Workbench" but it depends, either way I'm mostly stoked about everything. There was some feature I had noticed (if I remember it I'll let you know) and I was explaining it to my fiance, while I did I went in depth to what that would lead to in-game and had to stop and be like "Wow...the feature adds so much to the game...". kind sucks w/e it was slipped my mind >.<, but like I said if I remember I'll likely tag it on this post as an edit.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

It's Bethesda. So traditionally speaking Fallout 4 will be a badly written game with shallow RPG mechanics with a huge emphasis on exploration a big empty world devoid of anything interesting to do other than shooting.

Tech1Crux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Tech1Crux

@happyduds77 said:

It's Bethesda. So traditionally speaking Fallout 4 will be a badly written game with shallow RPG mechanics with a huge emphasis on exploration a big empty world devoid of anything interesting to do other than shooting.

Should really go check the info on it so far.
I'm sure you meant "It will be an alright base game, improved upon and better then their previous games, and a great foundation for one of the largest modding communities to build upon, keeping new and interesting content coming to this game for years." We all have typos, so I understand.

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

A role-playing game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Everything else is optional.

happyduds77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 happyduds77
Member since 2012 • 1688 Posts

@tech1crux said:
@happyduds77 said:

Should really go check the info on it so far.

I'm sure you meant "It will be an alright base game, improved upon and better then their previous games, and a great foundation for one of the largest modding communities to build upon, keeping new and interesting content coming to this game for years." We all have typos, so I understand.

I meant what I meant.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
deactivated-5eb6f92daae05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 deactivated-5eb6f92daae05
Member since 2015 • 916 Posts

So is TC going to bother posting a source? And I'm not talking about the frames per second...lol

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts

I do often wish they would give the franchise entirely to Obsidian, as I think they have a better process for implementing RPG elements and writing good stories.

But as long as it is Bethesda, I think this is pretty solid. I'm glad they're improving the combat, and the way they're implementing power armor makes a lot more sense this time around. All the crafting and base building stuff looks cool too. I don't know how much it will feel like a role playing game, but I'm sure it will be a ton of fun to explore, just like Fallout 3.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@-God-: how can there be no skills? like I won't have pickpocket skills? and lock picking skills as I do it more over time?

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

i'll be playing this on pc for very obvious reasons but why the **** is an ugly looking game like that isn't running in 60fps?

remiks00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#87 remiks00
Member since 2006 • 4249 Posts

@tech1crux said:
  • No Skills. Every player is same with all weapons. >>>ACTUALLY Skills and Perks have just been combined into a less sloppy system, which we'll know more about when we see the "Perk Chart", my guess is things like Gun Nut or Science will effect more likely VATS for the RPG person, and maybe sway/recoil or such for the FPS approaches....hmm...skill tree? Sounds RPG
  • No Crit Chance. Numbers are scary! >>>FALSE During normal (non-VATS) shooting, criticals are based on a RNG/Stats, however in VATS they use...we'll call it a limit break system...you know...to throw in some RPG.
  • Focused on mainly "shooter mechanics", hired id and bungie employees for help. (Explains the two above points.) >>>>Last time I checked, there's still melee weapons and other things to still relate this to an ACTION RPG. This isn't a tactical RPG, it's a 1st and 3rd person one, VATS already breaks the FPS thing with a "lock on" feature, the normal shooting should feel like REAL SHOOTING, part of a good RPG is putting you in the characters shoes.
  • Power Armor isn't armor, it's a vehicle you enter for certain quests and areas. >>>ALSO UNPROVEN. Power armor just functions as it always should have, not as heavy armor, but the kind you need TRAINING to use, it's fully customizable now, and stands out among other tiers of armor. YES there may be some places where you can't take it (not confirmed) but there is one suit and likely everyone will use PA at some point now...I used to just avoid it completely.
  • Dialogue Wheel and Voiced PC. >>>This makes it less RPG how? Back in the day (before voice was a thing) of video RPGs, we had crappy looking pre-defined character that you could MAYBE name, after that we had better looking predefined characters with no voice (and could maybe name them), then we hit the era of voiced characters...and this would be before hitting the era of much customization, and a large majority of these RPGs had little in way of choice outside of maybe an open-world. Now you sit at a point, where we can have FULLY customizable and nameable characters (who look human this time) WITH a voice to better portray the ROLE and STORY, and still freedom of choice, skill and direction...and this makes it less ROLE-playing how?
  • Companion can't die. >>>but as they said, most people just re-load after losing a companion anyway. This is also likely an easy fix thru the console or a mod. You can bet they can still get knocked unconscious removing them from a fight. I always found myself setting companions to essential, and having a few non-essential to keep it interesting.
  • No Survival mode. >>>This is not confirmed, but even if it's true this is a good reason to play these games on PC where they belong. You can't please everyone, but with a good foundation and awesome modmakers, you CAN. However due to NV's success and the fact that Bethesda Softworks still had CONTROL over the production of FO3 AND FONV, they simply had Obsidian develope it as Bethesda Game Studios was doing other stuff, Expect it to have all the additions of NV, and more. PS: Survival mode or not...how does this point effect it being an RPG?
  • So in the end, it is an RPG, maybe not the FO game YOU want, but it's an RPG, set in the Fallout universe and Fallout lore...hell the FPS vs RPG thing is stupid...if you can have MMORPG and Action RPG, you can have FPSRPG.

This post gives me hope.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#89  Edited By FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

@rrjim1 said:

A role-playing game is a game in which players assume the roles of characters in a fictional setting. Everything else is optional.

Halo 5 let's you role play up to 8 different characters in the new campaign then, amirite?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 55898 Posts

@walloftruth said:
@-God- said:
@xdude85 said:

WallofLies? That must be my evil twin.

When I first saw that, I was thinking the same thing lol. Looks like you'll have a fan truth.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23807 Posts

@tech1crux said:

Skill trees are a terrible system. It leads to excessive cookie cutter builds and homogenization. Players pick certain perks not because they want the perk itself, but so they can pick the later perks. Not to mention, it shoehorns in characters in certain trees rather than concepts.

Limit breaks is RPG now?!? since when?

It has melee weapons? Whoopdiedoo, so did Doom. In fact, there are runs in that game entirely dedicated to clearing the game on the highest difficulty using primarily your fists.

You had to have Power Armor training in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas as well. And Power Armor has always been more than just a generic armor, providing more than just bonuses to protection.

The game becomes less of an RPG because it creates a barrier between you and your character in addition to limiting choices. Also, RPGs, have had player created characters since day 1. In fact, parties in RPGs used to be entirely player created, not just the main character. Stuff like this was the norm. Anyways, here is Fallout 1's character creation. Far more choices here than Fallout 4's 7 special attributes, wouldnt you say ;)

Loading Video...

Only a handful of western RPGs had you play as precreated characters. And jRPGs only started doing it around the SNES era, and even now, those games are reverting from that decision. Honestly, jRPGs terribly represented the genre at the time. The difference between a jRPG and a wRPG back then, was the same as the difference between a console shooter and a PC shooter. Also, choice and world reactivity was usually better as well, Planescape torment, Fallout, Vampire: The Masquerade - BLoodlines and especially Ultima 7 offered far superior player agency to Bethesda's everything is solved through violence stance will ever do.

Mods can fix it is becoming a very feeble excuse. Why should we have to constantly wait for others, our ourselves to fix bethesdas screw ups. Why couldnt they just re-implement hardcore mode, that thing was pretty well received.

I am not going to debate this point since, weapon durability doesnt heavily concern me.

They have had 5 years on them now to work on this or so. Surely it wouldnt be too much to ask for a few minor optional tweaks for players looking for an additional challenge. Besides it was pretty well received in New Vegas, was it not?

Fallout lore? It may be set in the Fallout universe, naming factions after established ones. But those new factions are those old established facitons in name only.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Is -God- even a gamer?

Avatar image for thefoxonthewall
TheFoxOnTheWall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#93 TheFoxOnTheWall
Member since 2014 • 90 Posts

I'll wait to it comes out, before I judge if its a true rpg.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

How can BE say the PC version isn't limited when they match the FPS's with consoles? Sounds limited to me.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 glez13

@ps4hasnogames said:

@-God-: how can there be no skills? like I won't have pickpocket skills? and lock picking skills as I do it more over time?

Speculation around the web is that most probably stuff will be enabled and enhanced via perks similar to Skyrim. The only equivalent of skills shown so far are through SPECIAL. Charisma is an equivalent of barter and speech and Agility is partially an equivalent of sneak.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

PC isn't limited. They confirmed it officially. Only consoles are.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@IgGy621985 said:

PC isn't limited. They confirmed it officially. Only consoles are.

Ahh okay

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

fallout 3 by far.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 -God-

@mems_1224 said:

fallout 3 by far.

FO3 sucks, but Fo4 will be worse

Dire_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#100 Dire_Weasel
Member since 2002 • 16681 Posts

@silversix_ said:

Is -God- even a gamer?

Like many of the posters here on SW, he's a troll first and foremost.