Is Fallout 4 even a RPG? (Confirmed 30 fps, Best on PC)

• 190 results
-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

• No Skills. Every player is same with all weapons.
  • No Crit Chance. Numbers are scary!
  • Focused on mainly "shooter mechanics", hired id and bungie employees for help. (Explains the two above points.)
  • Power Armor isn't armor, it's a vehicle you enter for certain quests and areas.
  • Dialogue Wheel and Voiced PC.
  • Companion can't die.
  • No weapon degradation.
  • No Survival mode.

It now belongs in the same genre as Farcry, GTAV, MGSV. Just a open world action game with some customization.

News Update:

Fallout 4 director Todd Howard confirmed the news to Digital Spy at this year's E3 gaming expo.

"It is 1080p on everything," he said, before confirming that it would run at 30fps and not 60fps

haha gonna suck on crapsoles.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -God-

@xdude85 said:

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#5 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

That's actually a pretty scary list of "features". I'm pretty broad in taste when it comes to games, and I'm fine with Mass Effect going the route of Mass Effect - it didn't hurt the essence of story in BioWare games too much.

However, a Bethesda game devoid of key RPG features is nothing short of scary. This move will negatively affect the capability of the modding scene as well.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

Whatever it is, it looks like it's gonna be the best Fallout game we've ever seen.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

No, Fallout 4 isn't a RPG any more. But it wouldn't matter if Bethesda did what it does best i.e the hiking simulator. Morrowind was a great RPG and even better exploration game, because everything made sense wherever you went.

The problem with Bethesda since Oblivion is that their stories just don't make sense whatsoever. The lore is nonsensical and therefore unrewarding.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

Whatever it is, it looks like it's gonna be the best Fallout game we've ever seen.

it has to, since fallout 3 launched in 2008. kind of obvious.

hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts

No it isn't and its a shame. Bethesda just needs to sell the license for fallout to obsidian and then sale ElderScrolls to another company. Just get as far away from RPG licenses as they humanly can.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 freedomfreak
@tushar172787 said:

All of them.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@freedomfreak: right.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FrozenLiquid

@freedomfreak said:
@tushar172787 said:

All of them.

Loading Video...

hatecalledlove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hatecalledlove
Member since 2004 • 1383 Posts

@freedomfreak: how do you figure? They've made the worst main series entry into the franchise and its the only one they've done. New Vegas was miles better then 3 and it looks like 4 will be worse then 3. It's a RPG franchise, not a stripped down consolite FPS.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 freedomfreak
@hatecalledlove said:

how do you figure? They've made the worst main series entry into the franchise and its the only one they've done. New Vegas was miles better then 3 and it looks like 4 will be worse then 3. It's and RPG franchise, not a stripped down consolite FPS.

They deserve a second chance. We all do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

@-God-: Where did you see/hear that Power armor is only used for certain missions/areas? Google shows nothing. I need a link or address .

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

From Bethesda. Can't forget that.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

3 was already a hybrid abomination of a shooter RPG, so I'm kinda glad they finally stopped pretending and focused on making a straight up shooter instead of some awkward combination. There's always Wasteland for anyone who wants a real post-apoc RPG.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FrozenLiquid

@Postosuchus said:

3 was already a hybrid abomination of a shooter RPG, so I'm kinda glad they finally stopped pretending and focused on making a straight up shooter instead of some awkward combination. There's always Wasteland for anyone who wants a real post-apoc RPG.

Mass Effect did the right thing and practically turned itself into a full on shooter with Mass Effect 2.

But Todd Howard's all like "we're in love with stats" in the Fallout 4 presentation. Yeah effing right. Thanks to the original Interplay Fallout, I always minimise my combat stats and maximise my social stats just to see how clever the designers were in giving different solutions to problems. The only one that sorta bettered Fallout in that regard was Vampires: The Masquerade Bloodlines.

I tried the same in Fallout 3, and being a silver tongue means jack shit. The best thing to do in a Bethesda game is maximise combat stats and kill your way through the game. Way more rewarding than pretending to "role-play".

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@FrozenLiquid said:
@Postosuchus said:

Mass Effect did the right thing and practically turned itself into a full on shooter with Mass Effect 2.

But Todd Howard's all like "we're in love with stats" in the Fallout 4 presentation. Yeah effing right. Thanks to the original Interplay Fallout, I always minimise my combat stats and maximise my social stats just to see how clever the designers were in giving different solutions to problems. The only one that sorta bettered Fallout in that regard was Vampires: The Masquerade Bloodlines.

I tried the same in Fallout 3, and being a silver tongue means jack shit. The best thing to do in a Bethesda game is maximise combat stats and kill your way through the game. Way more rewarding than pretending to "role-play".

If anything you should go for combat stats to deliberately avoid conversations as much as possible, seeing how FO3's were so bad they could make you cry after winning the lottery.

360ru13r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 360ru13r
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts

Ummm...RPGs don't have to be about numbers and calculations TC. Plenty of RPG that people like Final Fantasy and the Tales of Games that forgo most of the on screen number crunching for gamers. By your definition Borderlands 2 counts and people don't consider that an RPG. So yeah...

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22  Edited By drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

It's going to be a fun action-adventure, but an awful RPG. Bethesda games post-Morrowind are all about doing everything and anything with no restrictions. There are no real role-playing elements to speak of. In seeing the footage while replaying New Vegas, where Obsidian beats Beth in their own game, it's painfully apparant.

More than anything I just wish Howard fucked off with the "We at Bethesda love the Fallout series" bullshit because they have no clue on how to properly utilize its material. It may sound rather pompous, but they don't get it.

REKThard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 REKThard
Member since 2014 • 479 Posts

So..Mass Effect isn't an RPG?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

"Dialogue Wheel and Voiced PC." - Lol. So an RPG isn't "allowed" to have those things? Whatever, folks can argue whatever genre it falls into but it's going to be fantastic fun anyway.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

Who cares what you want to label it as?

Bottom line, it looks fucking awesome.

jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

Would it not suffice to say it's simply a poor one? Fallout 3, for example, though foolishly designed from top to bottom and lacking most those features valued by CRPG fans, is, at least, an attempt at the genre. It just came off very badly as it was written and designed by buffoons. To say that Bethesda isn't making RPGs pardons their idiocy. They are making them, they're just screwing the pooch at every chance.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#27 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts
Loading Video...

@-God-:

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@parkurtommo said:
Loading Video...

@-God-:

That is such a fucking good tune.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Fallout 3 already was moving the series away from an RPG and I think the majority would agree it was the right decision. New Vegas was more of a shooter than Fallout 3 was and I enjoyed it more. Just felt more natural.

The label of the game doesn't really matter. Fallout works very well as an action game and Bethesda isn't trying to shoehorn in arbitrary RPG gameplay mechanics that are not a natural fit. If this means less of an RPG feel then so be it.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Fallout 3 already was moving the series away from an RPG and I think the majority would agree it was the right decision. New Vegas was more of a shooter than Fallout 3 was and I enjoyed it more. Just felt more natural.

The label of the game doesn't really matter. Fallout works very well as an action game and Bethesda isn't trying to shoehorn in arbitrary RPG gameplay mechanics that are not a natural fit. If this means less of an RPG feel then so be it.

I agree, open world and RPG genres have kind of blended over the years.

I don't give a crap about "hit points" appearing on screen. Though it would be nice if behind the scenes certain calculations still mattereor equipment, skills, etc. But it should be more subtle than it might have been in the past where equipment was *EVERYTHING*. Some old schools RPG's with their leveling mechanics were pretty stupid looking back at them. I don't miss that much.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

I really don't care if it's missing a few core RPG elements.

You still get to create your own character, assign stat points to said character, there is now a layered armor system which allows for a ton of mixing and matching, a very in depth weapon crafting system, and a massive world filled with people to interact with. So there's definitely some role playing elements.

Not to mention the ability to now build up settlements and safehouses from scratch.

It's another open world Bethesda game that you can easily sink 200+ hours into and the exploration factor is bound to be stellar.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23813 Posts

@Wasdie said:

I agree, moving the series away from any remaining RPG stuff seems like the best thing they could do. Rather than have this awkward hybrid between both.

Fallout New Vegas was both a better shooter and a better roleplaying game though, as it should have been, Obsidian are some of the best RPG devs around and they already had the shooter base laid out by bethesda to work on.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Wasdie said:

/thread

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

Yes it is, RPG means role playing game. You role play in Fallout 4, so it is an RPG. Doesn't mean roll playing game lol. TC, if you don't provide a link to the source of your supposed info, most people will just assume your lying so you can hate.

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

I'm just upset about the chat wheel and voiced protagonist.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@skelly34: The chat wheel may only give you 4 options at once, but they could have deeper branches within. I wouldn't be too disappointed with it. Each option on the chat wheel could open up 4 new ones. You could dig pretty deep there.

The voiced protagonist is more worrisome really. This means they have to spend a lot of time voicing a lot of stuff. That's going to be a bigger drain on resources than anything.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

Depends on your definition of RPG, people call the souls series an RPG and it really doesn't have that much dice rolling. It has a leveling system with a lot of abilities. But the combat generally doesn't have that rpg aspect to it where you might miss based on an arbitrary skill you need to level up separately.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts
@Wasdie said:

@skelly34: The chat wheel may only give you 4 options at once, but they could have deeper branches within. I wouldn't be too disappointed with it. Each option on the chat wheel could open up 4 new ones. You could dig pretty deep there.

The voiced protagonist is more worrisome really. This means they have to spend a lot of time voicing a lot of stuff. That's going to be a bigger drain on resources than anything.

Especially when you consider The Elder Scrolls history of voice acting.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

The voice wheel is a concern

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23813 Posts

Both the dialogue wheel and voiced protagonist are problems.

Dialogue Wheel: Not only do dialogue wheels tend to lead to less choices, but I have also noticed this leads to other problems. Many games that employ this dialogue system tend to suffer from poor paraphrasing where the paraphrasing might be redicilously inaccurate, making roleplaying significantly harder, if not flat out undesirable. I want to guess what my consequences my responces lead to, not worry about my character going awfully out of character as I had envisioned them. Another issue with this is that it can lead to heavier emphasis on dialogue animation. And with the ammount of dialogue this game is inevitably going to have, I can see this being quite the resource hog. If dialogue wheel games have bad animations, it would have none of the potential pros of this system (as few as they are).

Voiced Protagonist: Full voice overs in RPGs is already a bad thing. This makes it even worse. http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/06/voice-acting-in-rpgs-may-be-more-trouble-than-its-worth/

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

Animation is also another issue lol

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Skyrim with guns confirmed!!!!!11111

Now seriously. The Skills system was basically broken anyways in both 3 and NV. It does surprise me that they just simply took it out instead of trying to improve it. Maybe they will do something similar to Skyrim were most stuff is differentiated mostly by perks.

Power Armor from the videos does look like a vehicle now, but how do you know it is limited in use?

Companions not dying is standard, unless they introduce in depth tactical shooter mechanics so that you can actually control their destiny and prevent them dying in ridiculous ways which is a huge inconvenience.

The whole critical thing seems strange to me. Critical chance sounds better to me than a critical bar.

The whole character talking thing brings some problems. Most notably the famous dialog wheel that makes you guess what the hell you are going to say next, which then leads them to create various black and white choices so that it's not that confusing. Then it's a huge amount of time and resources to create which could put a strain in the overall quality. I don't know why they went that way.

Making better gun gunfights is a plus, but I understand TC's point since this is Bethesda we are talking about, quality elsewhere could take a hit.

Overall there are many reasons for me to be hesitant about this game. Even when I'm replaying New Vegas right now and loving it once again I can't feel hyped for this game.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#44 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Who cares if it is or not? A game doesn't need to be an RPG and need RPG stuff to be an awesome experience.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#45 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

Bethesda make action console games.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -God-

Fallout of Duty confirmed?

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 -God-

Updated news HOT off the presses! 30 FPS confirmed for the two weak consoles this generation.

Fallout 4 director Todd Howard confirmed the news to Digital Spy at this year's E3 gaming expo.

"It is 1080p on everything," he said, before confirming that it would run at 30fps and not 60fps

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The only thing I feel is a step up for fallout 4 is they're taking a greater interest in the actuall narative. It's nice the character has a voice now and maybe the overarching story won't be shit (Who am I kidding, lol).

Everything else was just so amateurish, from the animation quality to the shooting. If you would have told me this was a fallout 3 mod I would have believed it.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#50 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts
@-God- said:

Updated news HOT off the presses! 30 FPS confirmed for the two weak consoles this generation.

they better not lock it on PC cuz 30 fps is really a deal breaker