Is E3 Wii U's last shot to save itself?

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17915 posts) -

I'm thinking E3 will be one of the best we've seen with all companies coming out with some amazing announcements. With that said, I think Nintendo can save itself, but will need more than just talking about a Smash or a Zelda game. Another factor to consider is whether Nintendo's announcements will be completely overshadowed by Sony and X1.

#2 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

e3 and nintendo HAHAHA did you not see the last e3?

#3 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151386 posts) -

If a gamer loves Nintendo's first party games then nothing MS or Sony will do can over shadow the Wii U. If they don't....then they can. Whether the Wii U has another chance or not is unpredictable. Who thought the Wii would sell like it did compared to the other two "hard core" consoles?

If the Wii U continues to struggle....Nintendo will just release a new console sooner rather than later. But they aren't going anywhere yet.

#4 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26863 posts) -

Not like many people here (or other forums) WANT Nintendo to be saved...

#6 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (7411 posts) -

The sealed their fate at last years E3. Now that the have seen the X1 and PS4 sales, they have confirmed that they screwed everything up royally.

#7 Edited by MonsieurX (30413 posts) -

Nope.

#8 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7483 posts) -

No. If last year's show was any indication, Nintendo doesn't know what the hell it needs to do at E3. Their best shot at salvaging the Wii U is to release quality software and advertise. There is no 'saving' it at this point. What they can do until the next cycle is make the best out of a bad situation.

#9 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5550 posts) -

leave it to Nintendo to jinx the First console wins

#10 Posted by Heil68 (45134 posts) -

I bet they'll do what they did last year at E3 and that wasn't much.

#11 Posted by DocSanchez (1635 posts) -

Wii u has already hit the iceberg. It's going down fast. Any victory is a lifeboat shepherding it away from the scene.

#12 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9622 posts) -

@Ratchet_Fan8 said:

Dreamcast was the first console to be released in its generation and it came in last. I think the Saturn was first too.

#13 Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

I don't think this has been stressed enough, so let me restate it again, with added emphasis:

The Wii U cannot be saved. Period.

@k2theswiss said:

e3 and nintendo HAHAHA did you not see the last e3?

You must be four years old.

@nintendoboy16 said:

Oh goodness, spare me the persecution complex.

@Ratchet_Fan8 said:

That hasn't been true since... 1989 :/

@Heil68 said:

I bet they'll do what they did last year at E3 and that wasn't much.

I hope you (and others) don't really think they're going to be as low key at E3 this year as they were last year :/

#14 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17757 posts) -

I think they've proven that they can impress with cool stuff like 3d world and MK8. They def have a surprise or two in store.

#15 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17915 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I think they've proven that they can impress with cool stuff like 3d world and MK8. They def have a surprise or two in store.

amen! there's gotta be something they're going to pull out of their sleeve. but either way, if the Wii U is this gen's Gamecube, I'd be pretty happy (albeit in a selfish way), because the Gamecube rocked!

#16 Edited by nini200 (9817 posts) -

Nintendo doesn't do E3 anymore. They do a long Direct now.

#17 Edited by Heil68 (45134 posts) -

@charizard1605:

Yes I do because E3 really doesn't have that big of impact if you think about it. Seeing new games and demos is great, but those games shown are a year away or more. I doubt we'll see any new hardware from Nintendo either so what would be the point?

Nintendo has its Direct media outlet which essentially is the same thing.

Before starting to post in SW's I didn't even know what E3 was, yet I managed to keep up on games.

#18 Edited by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605:

Yes I do because E3 really doesn't have that big of impact if you think about it. Seeing new games and demos is great, but those games shown are a year away or more. I doubt we'll see any new hardware from Nintendo either so what would be the point?

Before starting to post in SW's I didn't even know what E3 was, yet I managed to keep up on games.

I agree, but E3 is actually one of the few times in a year when mainstream, non enthusiast media outlets (such as CNN, BBC, etc) also cover video games. It leads to great, incredible visibility even among the non gaming crowd, and can generate some hefty excitement for your products. That is why skipping E3 in any capacity is a bad idea. Last year, Nintendo at least had some form of justification (they'd just get crowded out by all the excitement around the new consoles), but this year, if they want to move any Wii Us at all, they really want to be there. Nintendo Directs are great for the enthusiast crowd and all, but they speak to the converted, preach to the choir.

#19 Edited by AzatiS (7637 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

If a gamer loves Nintendo's first party games then nothing MS or Sony will do can over shadow the Wii U. If they don't....then they can. Whether the Wii U has another chance or not is unpredictable. Who thought the Wii would sell like it did compared to the other two "hard core" consoles?

If the Wii U continues to struggle....Nintendo will just release a new console sooner rather than later. But they aren't going anywhere yet.

There were alot of reasons why Wii sold that good.

1) Wii mote hype among casuals

2) Price over PS3/X360 , especially the ridiculous PS3 price

3) It had way more games to choose from than PS3 which made it way more appealing specially in Japan and other Sony loyal regions.

Now if you add those 3 vs the really bad start of PS3 and the decent of X360... There were valid reasons why Wii won and on the other hand why Wii died so prematurerly.

Now Wii U has nothing that different ( in a good way ) to compete. Price is decent compared to PS3 , hardware is really low end compared to its price , third party titles still missing , first party titles ( most of big sellers ) arent out yet , casuals dont give a crap anymore about gimmick controls.

This gen is entirely different that last. You cant compare it

#20 Posted by freedomfreak (40884 posts) -

I expect them to play it safe. Announce some games that you would expect from Nintendo. A very dull E3/Direct. Zelda will be cool though.

At this point my WiiU exists solely for the sake of Bayonetta 2. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind to get one at this point if it weren't for that.

#21 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34156 posts) -

I guess it depends on what you mean by saving.

If you mean just simply help boost the Wii U and help it's situation out, then sure. If you mean having the Wii U get anything other than 3rd place in the console wars, or making the Wii U a complete success, then that ship has sailed a while ago. At this point the best Nintendo can achieve is just minimizing as much loss as they can with the system, and make the best out the Wii U.

I am interested to see what they have for E3, but I'm not expecting any kind of saving.

#22 Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

I expect them to play it safe. Announce some games that you would expect from Nintendo. A very dull E3/Direct. Zelda will be cool though.

At this point my WiiU exists solely for the sake of Bayonetta 2. It wouldn't have even crossed my mind to get one at this point if it weren't for that.

Didn't you sell yours?

#23 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6805 posts) -

The Wii U is beyond redemption.

#24 Posted by freedomfreak (40884 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

Didn't you sell yours?

No.

#25 Posted by charizard1605 (58094 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:
@charizard1605 said:

Didn't you sell yours?

No.

Oh. I could have sworn you did lol.

#26 Edited by KBFloYd (13796 posts) -

mario kart 8 and smash bros are the biggest games....

hyrule warriors, yoshi yarn, X, shinmegami tensei x fire emblem, bayonetta 2....all coming this year....if wiiu doesnt sell this year forget it.

unless they announce a pokemon game for wiiu....maybe a wiiu animal crossing might move some units...

metroid/starfox/fzero wont make much of a difference.

#27 Posted by mexicangordo (8637 posts) -

Well Nintendo has made it clear that they will focus a huge chunk of this years E3 on their "Health Gaming Plan." Whatever that entails. And Nintendo CAN save the Wii-U but I dont think they will bother to do so. Remember, at this point they don't plan on having their console in first place. Just make it profitable. Lastly, Nintendo's last two E3's were pretty terrible imo. You can never guess what they will do. Its either incredible good presentation or incredible lack luster. 2012 E3 was one of the worst I have seen from them.

#28 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2601 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic: This is one of the few intelligent posts about Nintendo I see on here, and basically entirely true. If you're a Nintendo gamer, the Wii U's awesome.

That said, I'm having a blast with mine because I like Nintendo games, and I really don't ever care that it's selling like crap. How many millions of other people are playing the console doesn't and shouldn't impact how enjoyable I find my own. In a way, I kind of like it when Nintendo tanks because they're incredibly prone to coasting off success, and whenever sales start plummeting is when they show up with huge and plentiful releases. Right now, Nintendo needs to scramble to get a huge library of games out, and as a Wii U owner, I stand to benefit from that.

If the Wii U was flying off the shelves, Nintendo would stop trying. It's how they've always done things. Just look at e3 08. The Wii couldn't stay in stock, and Nintendo did absolutely nothing to push their brand forward. I love when Nintendo struggles because I get better games.

#29 Posted by MFDOOM1983 (8453 posts) -

I think it's pretty safe to say that Wii-U will continue at its current sub-GC hardware and software sales pace.

8 of the top 10 selling Wii games have seen sequels or successors in one form or another. NSMB-U, Wii-fit, Wii sports and Mario 3D world were all non-starters. Casuals have abandoned Nintendo and only some select kids and ride-or-die fanboys are left. If they cut the price to a more appropriate price ( <$200). Nintendo might be able to make Wii-U the secondary console of choice. But I think the vast majority of people interested in Nintendo games have opted for the 3ds instead.

#30 Edited by bfmv2007 (289 posts) -

Why did the Wii U fail? I'll tell you why. It's because Nintendo released the Wii U a the end of the 7th generation, and other than having a huge controller with a TV in the middle of it, it's capable of the exact same things as the 360 and PS3 can already do. At the end of the 7th generation, most people who was going to own a 360 or PS3 already owned one years ago. So why should they buy a Wii U? Lack of 3rd party support is just adding to it. If the Wii U launched at the beginning of the 7th generation, no doubt it would be up there with the 360 and PS3, and chances are, have more 3rd party support. When it comes the end of the 8th generation, if Nintendo releases a new console that is only as powerful as the PS4 and Xbox One, will it succeed? No, it will go down just like the Wii U. Now, if Nintendo had released the Wii U when they did, and it had the power of the PS4 and Xbox One, then yes it would have no doubt succeeded, and possibly the PS4 and Xbox One would be the ones behind. But apparently Nintendo wasn't that smart.

#31 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151386 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

There were alot of reasons why Wii sold that good.

1) Wii mote hype among casuals

2) Price over PS3/X360 , especially the ridiculous PS3 price

3) It had way more games to choose from than PS3 which made it way more appealing specially in Japan and other Sony loyal regions.

Now if you add those 3 vs the really bad start of PS3 and the decent of X360... There were valid reasons why Wii won and on the other hand why Wii died so prematurerly.

Now Wii U has nothing that different ( in a good way ) to compete. Price is decent compared to PS3 , hardware is really low end compared to its price , third party titles still missing , first party titles ( most of big sellers ) arent out yet , casuals dont give a crap anymore about gimmick controls.

This gen is entirely different that last. You cant compare it

What a silly statement....of course you can compare and contrast gaming generations.

#32 Edited by flashn00b (2926 posts) -

Nintendo has a safety net in the form of their handhelds.

#33 Edited by Wasdie (50000 posts) -

Nintendo doesn't do E3 well.

#34 Edited by I_can_haz (6551 posts) -

Nope. That should have happened at last year's E3. It's too late to save the WiiU now....

#35 Posted by 2Chalupas (5155 posts) -

That was last year's E3. Last year was the final chance at redemption. It's now 3 straight years where the Wii-U was a joke at E3.

-Debut = failure. Lots of questions about the direction of the system, so much so that they felt they needed a re-introduction 12 months later.

-Re-introduction = fail, because it was basically the same thing as the last show with only the most minor of tweaks - and still barely any games to show. How could they have accomplished so little in 12 months? I also think this is the point where people really started to grasp just how weak the hardware was. In retrospect, their supposed reinvigorated relationship with 3rd parties - which was the most exciting thing about the show - turned out to be a TOTAL FRAUD.

-Last year, everyone expected the mother-load of games to finally be revealed. Nope. Sorry. Here, we'll just give you a couple more Wii sequels.

#36 Edited by KBFloYd (13796 posts) -

@bfmv2007 said:

Why did the Wii U fail? I'll tell you why. It's because Nintendo released the Wii U a the end of the 7th generation, and other than having a huge controller with a TV in the middle of it, it's capable of the exact same things as the 360 and PS3 can already do. At the end of the 7th generation, most people who was going to own a 360 or PS3 already owned one years ago. So why should they buy a Wii U? Lack of 3rd party support is just adding to it. If the Wii U launched at the beginning of the 7th generation, no doubt it would be up there with the 360 and PS3, and chances are, have more 3rd party support. When it comes the end of the 8th generation, if Nintendo releases a new console that is only as powerful as the PS4 and Xbox One, will it succeed? No, it will go down just like the Wii U. Now, if Nintendo had released the Wii U when they did, and it had the power of the PS4 and Xbox One, then yes it would have no doubt succeeded, and possibly the PS4 and Xbox One would be the ones behind. But apparently Nintendo wasn't that smart.

ps4/xbox one dont do 1080p 60fps either....so there is no real next gen console...ps4 comes close but fails...

so if all consoles are not powerhouses what makes x1 and ps4 next gen and wiiu not? just because 3rd parties are only making games for xbox and playstation? thats a weak argument.

#37 Posted by 2Chalupas (5155 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@bfmv2007 said:

ps4/xbox one dont do 1080p 60fps either....so there is no real next gen console...ps4 comes close but fails...

so if all consoles are not powerhouses what makes x1 and ps4 next gen and wiiu not? just because 3rd parties are only making games for xbox and playstation? thats a weak argument.

While the PS4/Xbox One can't compete with a maxxed out PC. The Wii-U is actually closer in terms of power to the PS3/360 than it is to the PS4/XB1. Essentially, what happened is they did 2 different consoles in gen 6. The original Wii was only marginally better than the original XBOX (if at all) - and while it was better than the Gamecube - it was not nearly the leap that the HD consoles were. You could argue it was NOT a generational leap at all. Basically 7th gen was all about beginning the move to HD (albeit incompetently), while the original Wii was 100% still locked into SD. For whatever reason, with this new console (Wii-U) they chose to stay behind as basically an incompetent HD console. They are just making the jump from Xbox to XBox 360 Whereas the PS4 and XB1 are at least semi-competent at HD visuals.

Nintendo designed their console to be "just barely good enough" for their own games, but they showed no consideration to 3rd parties or multiplats in the consoles design. Hence, it's failure.

#38 Posted by super600 (30716 posts) -

@mexicangordo said:

Well Nintendo has made it clear that they will focus a huge chunk of this years E3 on their "Health Gaming Plan." Whatever that entails. And Nintendo CAN save the Wii-U but I dont think they will bother to do so. Remember, at this point they don't plan on having their console in first place. Just make it profitable. Lastly, Nintendo's last two E3's were pretty terrible imo. You can never guess what they will do. Its either incredible good presentation or incredible lack luster. 2012 E3 was one of the worst I have seen from them.

They won't be using E3 to talk more about the QOL product they are creating. They will talk about the games that are in development for the wiiu and 3ds mostly.

#39 Posted by VERTIGO47 (6276 posts) -

I don't think E3 is their showcase platform anymore. Nintendo Direct should probably their choice like last year.

#40 Posted by Heil68 (45134 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Heil68 said:

@charizard1605:

I agree, but E3 is actually one of the few times in a year when mainstream, non enthusiast media outlets (such as CNN, BBC, etc) also cover video games. It leads to great, incredible visibility even among the non gaming crowd, and can generate some hefty excitement for your products. That is why skipping E3 in any capacity is a bad idea. Last year, Nintendo at least had some form of justification (they'd just get crowded out by all the excitement around the new consoles), but this year, if they want to move any Wii Us at all, they really want to be there. Nintendo Directs are great for the enthusiast crowd and all, but they speak to the converted, preach to the choir.

Well i sure hope they show something along the lines of Project X- a first party Nintendo game that doesn't have traditional Nintendo characters in it. I'm tired of those games.

#41 Posted by Speak_Low (1097 posts) -

It's over and too late.

They're going to look extra stupid this year when compared to the amount of games Sony and MS will be showing.

Sheep will claim Nintendo won E3 again (they say that every year) by saying it's "quality that matters, not quantity" but it will be the same games they've shown every time (SSB, Bayo 2, X and possibly Zelda) with no big surprises for the mainstreamers who are ignoring Nintendo. Their problem - and why Wii U sales suck every quarter - is because there are not enough promised games for the future nor enough genre variety compared to what PS4/X1 offers.

I expect an atmosphere of sadness to surround E3 2014 for Nintendo - almost like they're wrapping things up for this dead console and moving forward with their future (most likely dumb) projects.

Evolve, Alien: Isolation and Batman: Arkham Knight will just be the tip of the iceberg of next-gen games shown at E3 that will skip the Wii U because Nintendo didn't know how to prepare and strategize for the future.

#42 Posted by osan0 (12739 posts) -

are they going to turn up to E3? it seems that nintendo are putting more focus on nintendo direct to let people know what is going on instead of bundling it all up for E3.

i also think thats surprisingly forward thinking of nintendo. they dont like to make announcements for reelase dates until they know for certain what they are. they also dont like to show games off to early (x being an exception....they need something to fire up more interest). its nice to have that info coming in every month or so instead of botteling it all up for E3.

are they going to have anything impressive to announce? i dont think so. not around E3 time anyway.

#43 Posted by KBFloYd (13796 posts) -

@2Chalupas said:

@KBFloYd said:

While the PS4/Xbox One can't compete with a maxxed out PC. The Wii-U is actually closer in terms of power to the PS3/360 than it is to the PS4/XB1. Essentially, what happened is they did 2 different consoles in gen 6. The original Wii was only marginally better than the original XBOX (if at all) - and while it was better than the Gamecube - it was not nearly the leap that the HD consoles were. You could argue it was NOT a generational leap at all. Basically 7th gen was all about beginning the move to HD (albeit incompetently), while the original Wii was 100% still locked into SD. For whatever reason, with this new console (Wii-U) they chose to stay behind as basically an incompetent HD console. They are just making the jump from Xbox to XBox 360 Whereas the PS4 and XB1 are at least semi-competent at HD visuals.

Nintendo designed their console to be "just barely good enough" for their own games, but they showed no consideration to 3rd parties or multiplats in the consoles design. Hence, it's failure.

see but im arguing the ps4/xc1 leap isnt big enough either...its a joke just like the wiiu...so wiiu is in the same gen. the only difference is 3rd parties making games for one system over the other...thats it.

#44 Posted by KBFloYd (13796 posts) -

@speak_low said:

It's over and too late.

They're going to look extra stupid this year when compared to the amount of games Sony and MS will be showing.

Sheep will claim Nintendo won E3 again (they say that every year) by saying it's "quality that matters, not quantity" but it will be the same games they've shown every time (SSB, Bayo 2, X and possibly Zelda) with no big surprises for the mainstreamers who are ignoring Nintendo. Their problem - and why Wii U sales suck every quarter - is because there are not enough promised games for the future nor enough genre variety compared to what PS4/X1 offers.

I expect an atmosphere of sadness to surround E3 2014 for Nintendo - almost like they're wrapping things up for this dead console and moving forward with their future (most likely dumb) projects.

Evolve, Alien: Isolation and Batman: Arkham Knight will just be the tip of the iceberg of next-gen games shown at E3 that will skip the Wii U because Nintendo didn't know how to prepare and strategize for the future.

i hope batman is just the tip...bacause its not impressive...gamers like starving africans looking for games...some miserable cow is hyping shaq fu!

ah whatever...hardcore gamers lol...great gen so far guys. really owning the wiiu haha.

#45 Posted by Joedgabe (5114 posts) -

@nintendoboy16 said:

maybe people just want it to die and reborn differently than what it is atm ? taking a wild guess.

#46 Edited by KBFloYd (13796 posts) -

@Joedgabe said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

maybe people just want it to die and reborn differently than what it is atm ? taking a wild guess.

cows are like locust...they consume every natural 3rd party resource then move on..

nuke em...nuke the bastards

#47 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25528 posts) -

If you didn't want a WiiU before, you're not going to want one after.

#48 Edited by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

Unless the wii pew has a big price cut it's lights out for it. Sure it going to have some exclusives and they might even be good but a console does not live by exclusives alone.

#49 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Nintendo's last shot with the Wii U has come and gone. It is on life support right now just waiting for Nintendo to pull the plug.

#50 Posted by Nonstop-Madness (9483 posts) -

Nintendo's E3 conference will be DOA.

People want this E3 to showcase next gen gaming and to be honest, the Wii U will not be able to satisfy the vast majority of gamer's wants.