Is Dead Space one of the most overrated franchizeez?

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by uninspiredcup (6975 posts) 4 months, 24 days ago

Poll: Is Dead Space one of the most overrated franchizeez? (76 votes)

Yes 100% no qeastion about it. It's not even a qeastion when you think about it. Of course it has, no need for a poll, this is factually based based specifically based on fact. 8%
No 92%

My friends, having recently done a huge Resident Evil run (4/5/rev/6) and went back to dead space I have to ask,aside from the great UI, what exactly is so fantastic about this series?

I see the young people bashing Resident Evil. But then praising Dead Space. It makes no sense. Non. It's madness.

1. It's not original

2. No numerable characters

3. No memorable story

4. Same environment throughout the entire game

Can we agree Dead Space is a decent series, not amazing?

#1 Posted by ActicEdge (24328 posts) -

Dead Space is overated. I like the games but damn, none of those games is close to RE4. RE6 was ass though but I enjoyed RE5 more than Dead Space 1 & 2. I haven't played Dead Space 3 though and refuse to play RE5 without a partner so that may factor in a bit.

#2 Posted by vickissv2 (1714 posts) -

How can you say it's " overrated" but then list games that have been rated higher than Deadspace? What is your definition of overrated anyway.

...and Dead Space 2 was just as good as RE5.

#3 Edited by Zassimick (6165 posts) -

The original Dead Space is a great game. The sequel was alright and I couldn't be bothered to finish the third. I'd say it Resident Evil 4 is better than Dead Space, but Dead Space is easily better than Resident Evil 5.

I still would like to play Resident Evil 6 sometime. Maybe I'll rent it sometime.

#4 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8171 posts) -

I can't agree at all! Even Revelations which was best since RE4 couldn't hold a candle to the weakest Dead Space installment! Don't even try to overrate RE at the expense of Dead Space. I find it downright shameful!

#5 Posted by Stringerboy (6892 posts) -

First was great, second was eh, and i haven't even played the third one yet.

One thing I can say though is that the series had amazing sound design.

#6 Posted by StrifeDelivery (1285 posts) -

First was great, second was eh, and i haven't even played the third one yet.

One thing I can say though is that the series had amazing sound design.

Agreed, but since I have played the third, it's the worst out of the series for me. It gives the series a nice, downward, linear progression.

#7 Edited by Gaming-Planet (13730 posts) -

I love Dead Space although Dead Space 3 was pretty disappointed but the combat and customization of weapons was an improvement.

I like the setting, the sci-fi, fucking space and alien moon planet thingies, the gore, crazy religious zealots being controlled by the marker, the crazy suits. The game was pretty revolutionary to the horror genre. I'm pretty biased when it comes to Dead Space.

RE 5 and 6 were shit compared to Dead Space.

#8 Edited by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

Great horror shooter with survival horror like environment and atmosphere. Nice visuals and awesome HUD with bad ass suits(which got more badasser in DS2, especially the animations to put them on).

Main story is basically repairing a ship as an engineer rather than a dudebro with big muscles and army skills background shooting through corridor after corridor. Using mining tools as weapons instead of the generic game weapons.

It was great game that had some very nice touches, overrated it was not.

#9 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3245 posts) -

The original Dead Space is a great game. The sequel was alright and I couldn't be bothered to finish the third. I'd say it Resident Evil 4 is better than Dead Space, but Dead Space is easily better than Resident Evil 5.

I still would like to play Resident Evil 6 sometime. Maybe I'll rent it sometime.

You should definitely play RE6. It's a masterpiece.

#10 Edited by nutcrackr (12291 posts) -

not original? that's like saying no sci fi entertainment is original since doctor who

Dead space created an entire world of markers, necromorphs, unitologists and then merged them fantastically with engineer weapons and shooting limbs off. No sire, dead space is most certainly not overrated and is perhaps underrated

#11 Posted by Szminsky (1433 posts) -

The first dead space is one of my fav games from last gen. So my vote is no

#12 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38168 posts) -

The first 2 are fantastic. one is a great atmospheric slightly more horror type agme (DS1) and the other is a really good action game that blends small bits of horror elements (DS2.

Combined they make for a very fun experience overall. DS3 can go fall off a cliff for all I care.

I don't think they're overrated though. The second one wasn't that well received by huge fans of the first and DS3 was absolutely lambasted by everyone

#13 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2537 posts) -

I've never played a Dead Space game for more than 20 minutes at a time. I found them incredibly boring.

#14 Posted by Gesyma (1030 posts) -

Deadspace 1 & 2 were great... 3 was terrible.

#15 Edited by enzyme36 (1419 posts) -

Although Dead Space 1 may not really have memorable characters... Isaac Clarke really comes to life in DS2. He was easily my favorite new lead in any game last gen.

I still have fond memories of my DS2 hardcore run.... series cant be more underrated IMO.

Even DS3 gets a lot of undeserved flak.

#16 Posted by with_teeth26 (5995 posts) -

The first two games are great, and the first half of DS3 before you get to the ice planet is pretty good as well.

Some of the scripted sequences in DS2 put the Uncharted games to shame.

#17 Posted by SolidGame_basic (16077 posts) -

no way, the original Dead Space was a classic, and a great breakthrough franchise

#18 Posted by coasterguy65 (5745 posts) -

The first Deadspace game was great, after that it was all downhill.

#19 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3487 posts) -

Not overrated 1&2 were a lot of fun but 3 was ass, it completely lost the whole horror genre part and made it more actiony. Btw why type it as : franchieeez?

#20 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16128 posts) -

I love how no-one voted for the option TC was clearly pushing people towards

#21 Posted by locopatho (20044 posts) -

Awesome horror action adventure. In the mold of Resi 4 and Gears Of War 1, though not quite at their level.

Not every horror needs to be survival. Action is good too!

#22 Posted by lawlessx (46283 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

and boost his ego till his head pops like a melon? It says something when a person enjoys is own opinion being touted as the right one more than actual debates with facts.

#23 Edited by uninspiredcup (6975 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

It's great fellows such as yourself have the opportunity to present opinions.

#24 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (7693 posts) -

Not at all. The first two were fantastic, as 3rd person shooters I'd put them above Gears and RE4 anyday (Not even going to include RE5 and RE6 as they're shit). The 3rd was a step down although I thought the weapon creation mechanic was excellent. My big problems with it were the awful love triangle inserted into the story along with a lame antagonist and less memorable environments.

DS2>DS1>>>DS3. That's how I'd rank them.

#25 Posted by uninspiredcup (6975 posts) -

Not at all. The first two were fantastic, as 3rd person shooters I'd put them above Gears and RE4 anyday (Not even going to include RE5 and RE6 as they're shit). The 3rd was a step down although I thought the weapon creation mechanic was excellent. My big problems with it were the awful love triangle inserted into the story along with a lame antagonist and less memorable environments.

But Resident Evil 5 is superior.

#26 Edited by Alucard_Prime (2626 posts) -

Certainly not for me. One of my favorite series of last gen. Don't feel like typing too much now but Isaac Clarke's character development is one of my favorite things in the series, how he changes from game to game. DS2 in particular is a psychological thriller and there are not many that are well done on the market. The overall story is great and original enough imo. As a big sci-fi fan, I really enjoyed this series, and I hope it continues on next gen but they need to make a better story than 3, they need something fresh.

#27 Edited by Boddicker (2284 posts) -

I thought DS1 was paving the way for a respectable horror/action franchise. It had going for it most of all was believability.

I bought DS2 but quickly traded it in. It wasn't for reasons you think. I was having seizures at the time and needed to remain as calm as possible.

I never even bothered with DS3 with all the negativity I heard about it.

The franchise can still redeem itself.

#28 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7693 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

But Resident Evil 5 is superior.

lol no. Any Dead Space game>>>>>>Chris Redfield punching a 20 ton boulder in an active volcano.

#29 Edited by uninspiredcup (6975 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Chris Redfield punching a 20 ton boulder in an active volcano.

My friend, that is what we call "fun". As opposed to walking round a monotonous set of corridors with a main characters who's name i can barely remember.Classic stuff right der.

#30 Posted by g0ddyX (3873 posts) -

Dont listen to the RE4 fanboys.
Dead Space is a fantastic game and the new 'Resident Evil' franchise for the gen. It is underrated.

The whole Dead Space universe is great, the story is good, theres more than just 4 games and iOS games.
Theres the animated comics, movies, novels, and lots of viral stuff. Check them out on YouTube.
EA went all out on Dead Space and the first trailer for me, is the one of the best i've seen for a game.
Creepy Sci fi horror with elements from movies like Event Horizon, Pandorum, The Thing, Sunshine and the original Alien movie
(watch them all if you have not!!)

Its a shame Dead Space 3 did not sell as well as it should have, otherwise, we could have seen Dead Space 4.

#31 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24328 posts) -

about as overrated as Lost Planet.

#32 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7693 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Chris Redfield punching a 20 ton boulder in an active volcano.

My friend, that is what we call "fun". As opposed to walking round a monotonous set of corridors with a main characters who's name i can barely remember.Classic stuff right der.

I don't dare put QTEs and fun in the same sentence.

#33 Posted by clr84651 (5285 posts) -

DS 1 was my favorite. DS2 was hard with a final boss fight that I didn't like, & DS 3 was just too darn hard. I don't think they're overrated. I just think I became less and less interested in each one.

#34 Posted by CR00K (2644 posts) -

No. Dead Space 1 was a great horror and everyone knows it. 2 and 3, 3 especially, weren't as good. We all know this.

#35 Edited by AzatiS (6995 posts) -

Who on earth says Deadspace overated ? Are you serious ?!

First of all we need such titles out there for the guys that love this kind of genre. We dont have many of these game out there or not at all. Pure horror/survival with a sci-fi spin off ala Doom. What more to ask. How on earth is overated ? Its the best game on its genre , like Mario was for platformers and Uncharted was for action/adventures etc last gen.

Whoever says DS series were overated he needs to reinstall the game ( preferably DS1 was the best ), close the damn lights , be all alone in the room with ZERO distractions ( sounds from your mother talking on the phone, your dog woofs , you have music on etc ) , put your damn HEADPHONES on , turn the damn volume to max ( to be able to hear even the ambient sounds of ambient sounds!! ) and you might reconsider. If you dont play those games the way im telling you then sorry , this genre isnt for you.

DS 1 was fantastic

DS 2 was really good

DS 3 was ok , i was expecting more but i think game was a bit rushed for a reason.

#36 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9297 posts) -

about as overrated as Lost Planet.

Oh Gawd.......... Lost Planet was a trap. They look awsome, but when you play them they suck balls

#37 Posted by lamprey263 (22460 posts) -

Dead Space was a great series, only bitchy survival horror purists nitpick at it.

#38 Edited by uninspiredcup (6975 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

My friend, being older and mature to the medium, I've been gaming for an incredibly long time. The young people rant about it. But these people are "in the moment". They have neither the experience or knowledge to see beyond spasm like emotional reactions.

#39 Edited by AzatiS (6995 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@AzatiS said:

My friend, being older and mature to the medium, I've been gaming for an incredibly long time. The young people rant about it. But these people are "in the moment". They have neither the experience or knowledge to see beyond spasm like emotional reactions.

A god knows what you trying to say !

#40 Posted by Flubbbs (2839 posts) -

the first one was probally the best survival horror game of last gen.. the 2 sequels werent that great though

#41 Posted by charizard1605 (54501 posts) -

I think the first Dead Space was amazing. The sequels really fucked it up though.

#42 Edited by evildead6789 (6960 posts) -

Resident evil 1,2,3 & 4 are one of the best games ever made

But so is dead space, the second one was maybe a little bit less than the first and the third one you simply have to play on hard setting to get that feeling that you had in the 1st and 2nd but it's still a great game because they simply made a lot of things of the first two games a lot better.

Resident evil 5 i didn't like, raccoon city was pretty good with co-op and I haven't played the 6, but i heard it wasn't that good either so I skipped on it

About your commentary about dead space,

1. How can you say it's not original? I don't know about any games like dead space out there, especially not when the first one came out

2. I doesn't have that character development especially in the first and the second because it's simply dead space, there no one there but aliens, which don't seem to have personalities. That sense of isolation is what makes the game so good

3. I have to agree with you on the story, it's not the best and kinda disappoints in a way, but you can say the same about dark souls , which is also one of my favorite games, some games don't need that much of story. It's like the movie alien, there isn't much story in there besides the story about the alien

4. Well, you can say that about the first one, but certainly not about the second and the third. The first game was revolutionary though, of course if you're not really into horror-space-science fiction genre then dead space is not really for you. Resident evil is pure horror. They're both survival games though.

I have to say the third DS is the worst when it comes to survival horror, but they made everything else a lot better and bigger, the level design in space , in the space ships and on the planet, the graphics (don't play this game on a console, it's an insult to the maker), the side quests, the comedy, the co op, the leveling. I simply loved all three games, but I also love the resident evil series, but like I said before, this gen resident evil has lost a lot of it's flair and that's kinda normal, not many series can survive multiple gens, resident evil 4 used a completely different playstyle than the 1,2 and the 3d and that was one of the reasons it was successfull in it's second gen. It could have been succesfull this gen too but it's hard to live up to such quality. After all resident evil 5 wasn't really a bad game and raccoon city could have been a real hit, if it wasn't so dam short.

Maybe gotta look into that 6 once.

#43 Edited by freedomfreak (38287 posts) -

Still haven't played the third one.

Not in a rush.

#44 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

I finally played and beat Dead Space 1 and 2 this year, and they were fantastic. However the 3rd was garbage from what I played

#45 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16443 posts) -

First one is good, second one is amazing, one of my favorite games of the last generation. (I loved the campaign and the New Game+ was improved over the first). Third game kind of fell apart; outside the weapon building, which was really cool, it was easily the weakest game in terms of everything. dull setting, absolutely awful love triangle story, etc.

That being said, none of them are scary. I like the atmosphere but "screaming things running at you" isn't really scary at all. I just love the scenarios you're tossed into and the dismemberment based combat as well as the sense of progression.

#46 Posted by SexyJazzCat (877 posts) -

Haven't played Dead Space 3, but Dead Space 1 and 2 pretty much has the most perfect gameplay is any survival horror. The ability to walk and shoot already puts it in a league entirely above what RE could ever hope to reach.

#47 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16128 posts) -

@lawlessx said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

and boost his ego till his head pops like a melon? It says something when a person enjoys is own opinion being touted as the right one more than actual debates with facts.

Yup, thinking his opinion is always fact is a great description of uninspiredcup.

Or crap like this:

That describes his arrogance very well too

#48 Posted by happyduds77 (1375 posts) -

Not as good as RE4, but still great games.

#49 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1634 posts) -

DS1 was cool, survival horror game. DS3 was the worst of the series, too much action, lame co op... just shows how downhill gaming is going.

#50 Posted by getyeryayasout (6913 posts) -

I like the series, haven't played DS3 yet. It's gotten pretty mixed reviews but I'll get around to it eventually.