Is Crysis just another generic FPS?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

The thing is, in the FPS genre these days, we have a set of tropes being repeated over and over. Very often I run into "haven't I seen this setpice in CoD last year already?" moments, so for the most part, I'm burnt out on FPS games, especially on modern military ones. Think I played enough "epic and cinematic" FPS campaings for life!

Only two FPS games I'm looking forward to nowdays are Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light...

locopatho
Its called mainstream gaming. we have plenty of quality FPS games that dont try like COD.... oh and bioshock infinite looks bad. looks like JRPG style melodrama than FPS...

You have literally the worst taste in games I have ever seen...

whats your point then? is it another "hur hur why u no like my fav games"?? lol a guy with zelda avatar criticize my taste?
#52 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="Rocker6"]

The thing is, in the FPS genre these days, we have a set of tropes being repeated over and over. Very often I run into "haven't I seen this setpice in CoD last year already?" moments, so for the most part, I'm burnt out on FPS games, especially on modern military ones. Think I played enough "epic and cinematic" FPS campaings for life!

Only two FPS games I'm looking forward to nowdays are Bioshock Infinite and Metro Last Light...

locopatho
Its called mainstream gaming. we have plenty of quality FPS games that dont try like COD.... oh and bioshock infinite looks bad. looks like JRPG style melodrama than FPS...

loco, your track record isn't the greatest either.
#53 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

oh and bioshock infinite looks bad. looks like JRPG style melodrama than FPS...SNIPER4321

What? :?

#54 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

You guys throw around the word "generic" so often it's lost all of its meaning. I haven't seen a new FPS that hasn't been called generic for the past 5 years.

If you have a gun and you shoot things the game is instantly labeled as generic.

What a joke gaming communites have become.

Rocker6

The genre has always been derivative. Before every game was cribbing from COD4, they were cribbing from... the old Call of Duty in WWII. Before they were all cribbing from old Call of Duty, they were cribbing from Halo. Before they were cribbing from Halo, they were cribbing from Half-Life. Before that, Quake. Before that, Doom (hence the term "Doom Clone").

There's nothing about "these days" that stands out as particularly bad, really.

#55 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Crysis is not generic and never was. Crysis 2 is generic. They took what made Crysis 1 unique and completely squandered it.

Also CoD4:MW isn't generic either, it's all the later renditions that turned it geenric. CoD4 was awesome back then and still is.

Rocker6

COD4 was generic when it was release. there is nothing new about it. its basically COD2 in modern skin praise like best thing since slice bread.

No, CoD 4 was a great FPS game, and it still is. Back when it was released, its take on the campaing and MP was actually very fresh, only later did it all became tiresome...

Nah, he's right.

CoD got lame when they forced the health regen and lowered the recoil on the guns and that was already in CoD 2.

The graphics were good for the time but it already felt like a rehash with no real innovation and copying Halo (the original copied Halo a little too and was short and limited/very scripted, but the iron sights were a novelity in the FPS genre back then and it was fun and atmopheric).

#56 Posted by locopatho (20365 posts) -
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="SNIPER4321"] Its called mainstream gaming. we have plenty of quality FPS games that dont try like COD.... oh and bioshock infinite looks bad. looks like JRPG style melodrama than FPS...

loco, your track record isn't the greatest either.

My track record is impeccable :cool: And Dead Rising is good :P
#57 Posted by locopatho (20365 posts) -
[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="SNIPER4321"] Its called mainstream gaming. we have plenty of quality FPS games that dont try like COD.... oh and bioshock infinite looks bad. looks like JRPG style melodrama than FPS...

whats your point then? is it another "hur hur why u no like my fav games"?? lol a guy with zelda avatar criticize my taste?

Yup, thanks for mocking Zelda and proving my point... only liking one genre (FPS) and within that one genre trashing anything that tries anything new (Bioshock Infinite) is very silly...
#58 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]oh and bioshock infinite looks bad. looks like JRPG style melodrama than FPS...Rocker6

I recall he used the term "emotion and crying."

#59 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"] COD4 was generic when it was release. there is nothing new about it. its basically COD2 in modern skin praise like best thing since slice bread.nameless12345

No, CoD 4 was a great FPS game, and it still is. Back when it was released, its take on the campaing and MP was actually very fresh, only later did it all became tiresome...

Nah, he's right.

CoD got lame when they forced the health regen and lowered the recoil on the guns and that was already in CoD 2.

The graphics were good for the time but it already felt like a rehash with no real innovation and copying Halo (the original copied Halo a little too and was short and limited/very scripted, but the iron sights were a novelity in the FPS genre back then and it was fun and atmopheric).

How did the original copy Halo when they both came out the same year?

EDIT: Nevermind, I was looking at the PC release date of Halo. lol

#60 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]oh and bioshock infinite looks bad. looks like JRPG style melodrama than FPS...Rocker6

Metro Last Light

How amazing dark and gritty atmosphere is. ZOMG and bioshock infinite

cry, emotion and in red roses? WTF?? lol

#61 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

You guys throw around the word "generic" so often it's lost all of its meaning. I haven't seen a new FPS that hasn't been called generic for the past 5 years.

If you have a gun and you shoot things the game is instantly labeled as generic.

What a joke gaming communites have become.

PannicAtack

The genre has always been derivative. Before every game was cribbing from COD4, they were cribbing from... the old Call of Duty in WWII. Before they were all cribbing from old Call of Duty, they were cribbing from Halo. Before they were cribbing from Halo, they were cribbing from Half-Life. Before that, Quake. Before that, Doom (hence the term "Doom Clone").

There's nothing about "these days" that stands out as particularly bad, really.

Well, I agree that FPS genre always had its fair share of derivation, but personally, I do think today stands out as particularly bad...

Don't think there's anything more tiresome than "epic and cinematic" campaings being repeated over and over for years...

#62 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

DragonfireXZ95

Nah, he's right.

Halo came in 2001 on the Xbox, CoD came in 2003 on the PC.

They copied the weapon limit system from it (where you pick up a gun and leave your old behind).

#63 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Nah, he's right.

nameless12345

Halo came in 2001 on the Xbox, CoD came in 2003 on the PC.

They copied the dual weapon system from it (where you pick up a gun and leave your old behind).

I know, I put an edit in my last post. lol
#64 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]oh and bioshock infinite looks bad. looks like JRPG style melodrama than FPS...SNIPER4321

Metro Last Light

You have a problem with colors now?

#65 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -
[QUOTE="locopatho"] Yup, thanks for mocking Zelda and proving my point... only liking one genre (FPS) and within that one genre trashing anything that tries anything new (Bioshock Infinite) is very silly...

FPS is not only genre i like and bioshock is not doing anything new?? infinite looks like mediocre scripted shooter. plus bioshock was done before and better decade ago. system shock 2..
#66 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="SNIPER4321"] Its called mainstream gaming. we have plenty of quality FPS games that dont try like COD.... oh and bioshock infinite looks bad. looks like JRPG style melodrama than FPS...SNIPER4321

So you criticise a guy's opinion on the game and it's fair game but when someone criticises you about what you said you go off on one? :roll:

and he's right, you have some of the worst taste in games here on GS. All you play are FPS games, sure the ones you praise are good, but you have no variety in your gaming opinion. A real gamer plays more than one genre

#67 Posted by gameofthering (10310 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]oh and bioshock infinite looks bad. looks like JRPG style melodrama than FPS...SNIPER4321

Metro Last Light

Nothing wrong with that type of theme.

#68 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

Metro Last Light

How amazing dark and gritty atmosphere is. ZOMG

SNIPER4321

Looks pretty boring. Oh, look, yet another post-apocalyptic landscape, not like we haven't already seen that a million times. And just reading the premise says "Fallout minus the sense of humor."

#69 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -
[QUOTE="Rocker6"] Well, I agree that FPS genre always had its fair share of derivation, but personally, I do think today stands out as particularly bad... Don't think there's anything more tiresome than "epic and cinematic" campaings being repeated over and over for years...

Try Deus Ex Human REvolution.
#70 Posted by parkurtommo (27211 posts) -

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

lol it's true. I remember watching Planetside 2 footage before and someone said it was generic :P

seanmcloughlin

It's a sci fi shooter that rips off a lot of things from the battlefield series. Honestly I think it qualifies as generic. But of course, that doesn't mean it's anything short of amazing.

So for srguements sake let's say it is ripping off stuff from one franchise, how does copying ONE franchise make it generic?

not only that but do you mean to say if a game has vehicle (land and air) and infantry combat that means it's ripping off BF?

Somewhat, yeah. It has a similar class system. A similar HUD, you name it. And why is it generic? Well for starters it's visual design is classic sci fi, nothing special about it. A lot of games are generic.
#71 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Metro Last Light

It's called artistic taste.

#72 Posted by parkurtommo (27211 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]Metro Last Light

How amazing dark and gritty atmosphere is. ZOMG

PannicAtack

Looks pretty boring. Oh, look, yet another post-apocalyptic landscape, not like we haven't already seen that a million times. And just reading the premise says "Fallout minus the sense of humor."

but the grafix
#73 Posted by OneInchMan99 (1127 posts) -

Crysis is about as far from generic as a FPS can be in 2012.The suit powers make it stand out and I can't wait to play 3.COD,now that is some generic,whack-a-mole gameplay.

#74 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38216 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] It's a sci fi shooter that rips off a lot of things from the battlefield series. Honestly I think it qualifies as generic. But of course, that doesn't mean it's anything short of amazing.parkurtommo

So for srguements sake let's say it is ripping off stuff from one franchise, how does copying ONE franchise make it generic?

not only that but do you mean to say if a game has vehicle (land and air) and infantry combat that means it's ripping off BF?

Somewhat, yeah. It has a similar class system. A similar HUD, you name it. And why is it generic? Well for starters it's visual design is classic sci fi, nothing special about it. A lot of games are generic.

Similar HUD therefore generic? :? come on dude

#75 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -
It's called artistic taste.seanmcloughlin
And i hate artistic color also i have some faith on Crysis 3 to turn out good no matter how dissapointed crysis 2 was..
#76 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3209 posts) -

Crysis and its stand alone expansion rock. They're arguably among the best shooters this gen. The original would be near-perfect if not for the lousy final third, but as it stands its an exceptional shooter that gives you plenty of room and options to improvise your attacks.

Warhead, despite being shorter, is more focused and tight. The frozen paradise and alien combat is much improved in the expansion. A great alternative to the original.

#77 Posted by parkurtommo (27211 posts) -

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

Similar HUD therefore generic? :? come on dude

Whatever, visually it is very generic.
#78 Posted by freedomfreak (40883 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Metro Last Light

#79 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"] Well, I agree that FPS genre always had its fair share of derivation, but personally, I do think today stands out as particularly bad... Don't think there's anything more tiresome than "epic and cinematic" campaings being repeated over and over for years...SNIPER4321

Played it and enjoyed it, one of the best games in recent years...

Still, most FPS games feel generic, screaming "been here, done that" through the entire playthrough. Tired or millions of explosions, nearly immortal killing machines, 3-4 long campaings, overused and often copied scripted events, etc, etc...

#80 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

seanmcloughlin

Metro Last Light

It's called artistic taste.

The "crying and emotion" thing kinda just sounds like it's a story-driven game using emotional appeals to get the player invested in the characters. That's kinda what story-driven things tend to do.
#81 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

freedomfreak

Metro Last Light

Okay, you win points for Larry David. :P

#82 Posted by freedomfreak (40883 posts) -

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"][QUOTE="SNIPER4321"] Metro Last Light

DragonfireXZ95

Okay, you win points for Larry David. :P

CYE :3
#83 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="Rocker6"] Well, I agree that FPS genre always had its fair share of derivation, but personally, I do think today stands out as particularly bad... Don't think there's anything more tiresome than "epic and cinematic" campaings being repeated over and over for years...Rocker6

Played it and enjoyed it, one of the best games in recent years...

Still, most FPS games feel generic, screaming "been here, done that" through the entire playthrough. Tired or millions of explosions, nearly immortal killing machines, 3-4 long campaings, overused and often copied scripted events, etc, etc...

like i said they are mainstream console FPS.of course they aim towards lowest common denominator. there are plenty of unique shooters other than COD, halo, killzone.. STALKER (best FPS ever), Crysis, Deus Ex HR, Metro, TF2, HL2 EP2, Arma 2, Hard reset, etc etc
#84 Posted by gameofthering (10310 posts) -

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]It's called artistic taste.SNIPER4321
And i hate artistic color also i have some faith on Crysis 3 to turn out good no matter how dissapointed crysis 2 was..

Why do you like Team Fortress 2 if you dislike colour?

#85 Posted by slimjimbadboy (1731 posts) -

The OP makes no sense to me and I didn't bother going to that link :cry:

#86 Posted by platniumgamer (4087 posts) -

Uncharted 3 free milk is ugly and dumb lol Finalstar

#87 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (19818 posts) -

slimjimbadboy
It's actually a fairly redundant thread, haha.
#88 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

Hard reset, etc etcSNIPER4321
Wait, you've said you hate Painkiller, but you like Hard Reset?

#89 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

Metro Last Light

:lol: God forbid there be emotions in games.

#90 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]Hard reset, etc etcPannicAtack

because of cyber punk setting. Im a big fan of it. and its probably only twitch shooter that i like. i always hated quake, painkiller, serious sam etc etc
#91 Posted by parkurtommo (27211 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]Hard reset, etc etcPannicAtack

And Hard Reset is actually quite colorful.
#92 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -
[QUOTE="PannicAtack"]

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"]Hard reset, etc etcSNIPER4321

because of cyber punk setting. Im a big fan of it. and its probably only twitch shooter that i like. i always hated quake, painkiller, serious sam etc etc

Setting? That's it? So you'd be totally fine with Painkiller and Serious Sam if someone just retextured the damn thing to make it a different aesthetic?
#93 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -
:lol: God forbid there be emotions in gamesMichael0134567
keep it in JRPG and keep that crap out of my FPS. and i see lot of ppls and even JRPG fans who dont play FPS are excited for it..
#94 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"]:lol: God forbid there be emotions in gamesSNIPER4321
keep it in JRPG and keep that crap out of my FPS. and i see lot of ppls and even JRPG fans who dont play FPS are excited for it..

Somebody's really insecure :lol:.
#95 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -

"My games must be constantly super gritty serious and emotionally dead. Otherwise people won't perceive me as manly."

I guess this is why people are under the mistaken impression that Kratos and Marcus Fenix are in any way good characters.

#96 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

You have no idea on how many great experiences you're missing out just because of insecurity and close-mindness!

#97 Posted by archvile_78 (8382 posts) -

[QUOTE="slimjimbadboy"]

DragonfireXZ95

It's actually a fairly redundant thread, haha.

What did you expect from TC? :P

#98 Posted by SNIPER4321 (10144 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"]:lol: God forbid there be emotions in gamesRocker6

You have no idea on how many great experiences you're missing out just because of insecurity and close-mindness!

what games then?
#99 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"]:lol: God forbid there be emotions in gamesPannicAtack

"My games must be constantly super gritty serious and emotionally dead. Otherwise people won't perceive me as manly."

I guess this is why people are under the mistaken impression that Kratos and Marcus Fenix are in any way good characters.

Well, tbh, in God of War 1, Kratos was a fairly well done character. Too bad it all went downhill in GoW 2 & 3...

As for Marcus Fenix, please don't tell me there actually are people who think that mountain of meat is a good character! :o

#100 Posted by PannicAtack (21037 posts) -
[QUOTE="Rocker6"]

[QUOTE="SNIPER4321"] keep it in JRPG and keep that crap out of my FPS. and i see lot of ppls and even JRPG fans who dont play FPS are excited for it..SNIPER4321

what games then?

To the Moon.