Is Call of Duty finally on its last legs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

When Activision broke from whatever and became independent I was excited because I though that Activision with this would realize that is had no back to eat off of, and would release tons of old and new Ips or currently have them in development and I was wrong.

Now COD ghosts has been hit with sales lag, and Skylanders is being beat but Disney at it's own game and reported losses. However.....

Activision still put the most resources in Ghosts including the "next gen" versions. It seems they are stuck in their own stupidity. Blaming the same systems they released on for the sale lag.

Is COD going down? Or will Activision still manage to convince millions to play the same game an 18th time this nov.?

#2 Posted by psymon100 (6138 posts) -

if i were them, i would make another cod game. the brand alone has so much value.

but what i'd personally prefer is for them to make something else. anything.

#3 Edited by AppleFan1991 (3022 posts) -

I mean I've been a midnight buyer for it since MW2 and I just can't stand Treyarch's version of COD. It is just too slow paced and too much headglitching for me to spend another $60 on it. I will be down for whatever IW makes but nothing from treyarch, they can keep their BLOPS3

#4 Posted by Cranler (7739 posts) -

If it aint broke dont fix it. I'm sure Activision decided to put as little into the game as possible as long as it was selling great. I' sure they foresaw a day when sales would begin to decline. Now maybe they'll get to work on a new engine , give us authentic sound fx and decent animations.

#5 Edited by YearoftheSnake5 (6860 posts) -

On it's last legs? Probably not. The IP still has plenty of life.

#6 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3225 posts) -

You can't kill the king.

#7 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (750 posts) -

I hope so. Let it die.

#8 Edited by FPSfan1985 (2008 posts) -

Its the top selling game on both next gen platforms....

#9 Edited by Capitan_Kid (6509 posts) -

CoD is still one of the highest selling games around and a synonymous name to first person shooters. Its gonna take a helluva alot to kill it. Like it would have to become Big Rigs awful to kill off its large fanbase. Why would anyone want it to die? Its pretty fun.

#10 Posted by farrell2k (5141 posts) -

Nope. It's just that the market is saturated with dumb shooters. It seems like almost every game released for the XBox or Playstationis a shooter, or an RPG with guns or something like that. It's just getting old, which is why I am thankful for Nintendo.

#11 Posted by carljohnson3456 (12349 posts) -

Nah, Black Ops 2 was terrible but Ghost's multiplayer (which is why everyone buys it) is as fun as ever IMO.

#12 Posted by blamix99 (1538 posts) -

they should stop releasing COD every year, and release them atleast every 2 yrs

#13 Posted by Netret0120 (1889 posts) -

Lol FAR FROM IT

Ask most casuals about shooters, most of them will say they have played/know/heard of Call of Duty. It is too popular for it to just die out and makes too much money.

Ghosts was a lazy effort on their part because of the uncertainty with the new gen

Next year's one will sell alot better cuz they will have a large X1/PS4 and PS360 fanbase to cater to.

90+ mill PS360s

10-15 mill PS4/X1's

Call Of duty will bounce back, I hope next year's version is better cuz i only get them once every 2 years and i knew Ghosts was piss poor

#14 Posted by hatecalledlove (1232 posts) -

Call it the IW complex. Make a good game, "Moh, cod "with publisher owning the rights, IW leaves publisher and franchise to die and makes a new game.

People act like this is the first time that IW left a franchise and yes IW left cod to die just like they did Medal of Honor.

#15 Posted by rosko123 (498 posts) -

They need a new engine and start from scratch. The fatigue if the series was inevitable with yearly iterations for the past 5+ years. To be fair I find the multiplayer somewhat enjoyable but I felt the original black ops was the only game since MW1 that felt different.

#16 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5129 posts) -

Call of Duty has been "on its last legs" since Black Ops 1 came out.

#17 Edited by uninspiredcup (6846 posts) -

It will get a third person spin off and paid for reviews will call it innvervatives.

#18 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

@StrongDeadlift:

Then why did Black Ops, MW3 and Black Ops 2 keep beating sales records? For being on its last legs, these games certainly sold better than everything else and even beat out movie records.

#19 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5129 posts) -

@Murderstyle75 said:

@StrongDeadlift:

Then why did Black Ops, MW3 and Black Ops 2 keep beating sales records? For being on its last legs, these games certainly sold better than everything else and even beat out movie records.

I think you misunderstood my context. I wasn't agreeing with the premise, I was mocking it.

Ever since Black Ops 1 came out, it and every cod release afterwards the naysayers claimed IT would be the one that CoD loses its popularity. Yet its still the highest selling game on next gen consoles.

#20 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

Oops. My bad.

#21 Posted by TF626 (592 posts) -

Hopefully not I'm a huge zombies fan.

#22 Posted by DirkXXVI (491 posts) -

I hope so but I'm not willing to count it out just yet. Activision though really lucked out in getting Bungie to partner with them because now they have Destiny ready to take it's place as the next cash cow whenever franchise fatigue for COD goes full bore. Though I'm pretty sure Activision will miss the days of COD's low development cost and absurd revenue streams.

#23 Posted by I-AM-N00B (410 posts) -

I enjoy CoD but I think the series is becoming a bit stale now, all the games being released in the series are too similar and I think the developers are just being lazy because they know that people will continue to buy it no matter what! Saying that however, I still love playing the hell out of Team Deathmatch every now and again!

#24 Edited by k2theswiss (16598 posts) -

yes as long they continue down the same path.... very stupid because anyone can clearly see how to fix the issue

#25 Posted by Heil68 (42652 posts) -

Not with a billion dollars in sales..lolno

#26 Posted by lhughey (4221 posts) -

I was surprised at how much fun the latest game is. The formula for the game works. They should definitely update the graphics, but the gameplay is solid.

#27 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (750 posts) -
#28 Posted by lamprey263 (22430 posts) -

I gave up on the series a couple years ago, I played every one since the first game and I mostly played it for the SP, but as MP has become a bigger focus I've felt they've done a really lazy job on the SP aspect of the games and I no longer desire playing these. I liked MW2 and World At War, but MW3 and Blops were boring in their SP experience, almost like they designed the SP around their plans for the MP rather than just designing the SP for the SP. Anyhow, since it was MP focused I didn't bother, because that's why I buy Battlefield games, for their superior MP, and if there's a game to waste hundreds of hours on its MP it's Battlefield, no room for COD in my world.

#29 Posted by RoccoHout (971 posts) -

The series sure is in decline, but still sells too well. Really don't get how a game like CoD is that popular...

#30 Edited by jhonMalcovich (4344 posts) -

If the hackers come up with an emulator too soon (within 1-3 years), that will damage next gen consoles sales very badly.

#31 Edited by xxgunslingerxx (4052 posts) -

CoD is still one of the highest selling games around and a synonymous name to first person shooters. Its gonna take a helluva alot to kill it. Like it would have to become Big Rigs awful to kill off its large fanbase. Why would anyone want it to die? Its pretty fun.

do you remember guitar hero?

#33 Edited by Joedgabe (5090 posts) -

Nope.. watch them do something "New" but keep the game the same and people will go nuts for it. Look at how successful Super Mario 3D world is and Pokemon x and Y. It's still the same thing but "3D" added to it. Look at titanfall too.. all they did was add jetpacks and super sized robots ( that are just really an bigger and armored version of your regular character pretty much ) and people go nuts for it.

#34 Posted by -ArchAngeL-777- (3786 posts) -

The next gen launch will have an affect on Ghost sales, but I expect all will be restored next year.