Is Bloodborne one of the best games of all time?

• 98 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Hear me out, after playing through Bloodborne and the DLC, I really don't see why Bloodborne isn't in the discussion of being one of the best games of all time. Here are my arguments:

Story: The story of Bloodborne is, in my opinion, brilliant. You can run through the entire game without understanding the story and still think it's a great game, but if you really pay attention to what's going on around you, read the descriptions of items, and connect the dots then you're greatly rewarded as a player. It's unique in a way that the story isn't really spoon-fed to you but it's all there. You feel like an outsider lost in this world and you're discovering your way through it. I mean seriously, every boss has a deep background and so does every character. They're all part of this extremely convincing world and it's great to read up on it.

Soundtrack: The soundtrack for Bloodborne is fantastic. There's nothing quite like fighting a boss frantically while listening to the choir go nuts. I would post examples, but the titles of soundtrack videos can have boss spoilers in them. If you don't care about that stuff, then I really recommend listening to it.

Gameplay: The gameplay is extremely deep and diverse. Every weapon has a moveset and you can really familiarize yourself with all sorts of tricks you can pull off with each weapon. The bosses are tough but once you learn their moves and practice, the boss becomes easy. There are a lot of weapon combinations you can use, completely different character builds you can make which change the way you play the game, and more. Every weapon feels great and every level is very well designed. At some points of the game, From Soft actively tries to mess with the players which is cruel but still fun to experience.

Replay Value: Because there are so many different build options and the boss fights are so fun to do, bloodborne has great replay value. I've made many builds for co-op, PvP, and going through the story in a different way and I've invested many hours into doing each of those. There are short cuts to areas of the game and once you really know the areas, you can work your way through them very quickly.

Atmosphere: This is in large part due to the story, graphics, soundtrack, and level design. The atmosphere in Bloodborne is excellent. It's very dreadful, very dark and, as you get to know what's going on around you, it's very unsettling.

Multiplayer: You can make entire builds solely for co-op or PvP regardless of the story mode and play that way. Of course you'd need to know the levels in order to build this way effectively (shortcuts to items, etc.) but the game can definitely sustain itself on multiplayer. Helping others out with bosses, invading other worlds, it's all good fun and it's rewarding too.

Taking all of this into consideration, can we make the case that Bloodborne is one of the greatest games of all time? It's not a casual game and it's an exclusive so it doesn't have a very far reaching audience but despite that it excels because those who do play it love it. This hinders its popularity when compared to other titles such as The Witcher, but I'm talking purely from a quality standpoint. Bloodborne really does something special with its soundtrack, story, and gameplay that I think is very unique and unlike any other game out there.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#2 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

I can easily see the care for it being there for people, it's the Souls blueprint with an unprecedented amount of polish and a superior combat system.

It doesn't make my list though, not in the same way the first Dark Souls did. I loved Dark Souls 2, highly enjoyed Bloodborne, enjoy Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls is transcendental in terms of game design, in a way I consider it an all time great.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

It's amazing for sure, but I wouldn't call it one of the best of all time.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Dark Souls is better. The lore in that game. THAT'S how you handle lore.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

Not even on the map for me, just can't get into these games.

LordCrash88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 LordCrash88
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

Nah, I don't think so. But like always, it's a very subjective question.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@Blabadon said:

I can easily see the care for it being there for people, it's the Souls blueprint with an unprecedented amount of polish and a superior combat system.

It doesn't make my list though, not in the same way the first Dark Souls did. I loved Dark Souls 2, highly enjoyed Bloodborne, enjoy Demon's Souls, but Dark Souls is transcendental in terms of game design, in a way I consider it an all time great.

Dark Souls 2 is also great for similar reasons, so I can see the case for that too. Personally I enjoyed the fast paced gameplay, story, and atmosphere of Bloodborne more than Dark Souls.

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:

It's amazing for sure, but I wouldn't call it one of the best of all time.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

not even interested in playing it tho.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Sure, if you're a garbage person that likes trash games.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

lolno

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Demon Souls 4 hardly qualifies.

If any of those games qualified it would be either the first or the second.

clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

@SexyJazzCat said:

Dark Souls is better. The lore in that game. THAT'S how you handle lore.

Demon's Souls > Bloodborne > Dark Souls

LordCrash88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14 LordCrash88
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

Why are people so obsessed about lists anyway?

What't the difference if people consider the game "one of the best games of all time" or not? People who already love it will continue to do so and everyone else won't do so anyway. It's so pointless...

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#15 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

I haven't played it (PC gamer only, sorry. But yes, I like lots of console games on PC, even though these ''console games'' are better on PC imo, like RE4 Ultimate Edition). I love Dark Souls though, so I'd say yes.

heguain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 283

User Lists: 36

#16 heguain
Member since 2007 • 1433 Posts

@LordCrash88 said:

What't the difference if people consider the game "one of the best games of all time" or not? People who already love it will continue to do so and everyone else won't do so anyway. It's so pointless...

You're right. I shouldn't care what others think of the games I love.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Probably not for most people

CRUSHER88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 3

#18 CRUSHER88
Member since 2003 • 2037 Posts

Didn't hold my attention for more then a few hours sadly.

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SexyJazzCat

@clr84651: eww

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#20 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I adore Bloodborne, and my answer is still lolno

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

After playing for some 20 hours....mmmm no.

The lore is not that extensive as in Darks Souls 1 or 2. Weapon variate is very scarce. Combat is pretty much the same with all weapons. Dark atmosphere kinda wears off its welcome - I like to praise the sun.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

lolno

^^

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#23 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@LordCrash88 said:

Agreed. Its a stupid part of our culture in that competitions have to be made up where there is no need. I loved Demons/Dark souls and Bloodborne. I have no desire to place them in any order. I just enjoy playing them.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@mems_1224: Says the guy with the worst tastes on the entire forum. You're still convinced Viva Pinata is the best Rare game ever?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#25 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Hell no.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

LMAO No

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

@XVision84:

Actually closer to the worst game ever, the main character is constantly dying, and enemies that reappear in an area you just spent forever clearing, slow progression and even slower weapon upgrades.

It's Dark Souls with a different back drop..... i hated it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It is for me and that's not my cow side speaking. Outside of its engine and the shitty performance that this engine gave us, this game has everything a good game should have. Masterpiece is what BB really is. Its certainly superior to dark souls 1 which is already close to perfect.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 silversix_

@mems_1224 said:

Are you describing your taste? Damn you garbage people.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mems_1224

@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

Nah, I don't like Bloodborne. Your comeback is weak as ****

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#31 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@XVision84:

@XVision84 said:

Hear me out, after playing through Bloodborne and the DLC, I really don't see why Bloodborne isn't in the discussion of being one of the best games of all time. Here are my arguments:

Story: The story of Bloodborne is, in my opinion, brilliant. You can run through the entire game without understanding the story and still think it's a great game, but if you really pay attention to what's going on around you, read the descriptions of items, and connect the dots then you're greatly rewarded as a player. It's unique in a way that the story isn't really spoon-fed to you but it's all there. You feel like an outsider lost in this world and you're discovering your way through it. I mean seriously, every boss has a deep background and so does every character. They're all part of this extremely convincing world and it's great to read up on it.

Soundtrack: The soundtrack for Bloodborne is fantastic. There's nothing quite like fighting a boss frantically while listening to the choir go nuts. I would post examples, but the titles of soundtrack videos can have boss spoilers in them. If you don't care about that stuff, then I really recommend listening to it.

Gameplay: The gameplay is extremely deep and diverse. Every weapon has a moveset and you can really familiarize yourself with all sorts of tricks you can pull off with each weapon. The bosses are tough but once you learn their moves and practice, the boss becomes easy. There are a lot of weapon combinations you can use, completely different character builds you can make which change the way you play the game, and more. Every weapon feels great and every level is very well designed. At some points of the game, From Soft actively tries to mess with the players which is cruel but still fun to experience.

Replay Value: Because there are so many different build options and the boss fights are so fun to do, bloodborne has great replay value. I've made many builds for co-op, PvP, and going through the story in a different way and I've invested many hours into doing each of those. There are short cuts to areas of the game and once you really know the areas, you can work your way through them very quickly.

Atmosphere: This is in large part due to the story, graphics, soundtrack, and level design. The atmosphere in Bloodborne is excellent. It's very dreadful, very dark and, as you get to know what's going on around you, it's very unsettling.

Multiplayer: You can make entire builds solely for co-op or PvP regardless of the story mode and play that way. Of course you'd need to know the levels in order to build this way effectively (shortcuts to items, etc.) but the game can definitely sustain itself on multiplayer. Helping others out with bosses, invading other worlds, it's all good fun and it's rewarding too.

Taking all of this into consideration, can we make the case that Bloodborne is one of the greatest games of all time? It's not a casual game and it's an exclusive so it doesn't have a very far reaching audience but despite that it excels because those who do play it love it. This hinders its popularity when compared to other titles such as The Witcher, but I'm talking purely from a quality standpoint. Bloodborne really does something special with its soundtrack, story, and gameplay that I think is very unique and unlike any other game out there.

1) Story wise is great but nothing extraordinary imho even if im really into such fantasy horror worlds in general

2) Soundtrack wise is top notch.

3) Gameplay is great but again nothing we havent seen before , neither a revolution nor evolution. Its great though

4) Thats something really subjective. Its IF you like the boss fights and IF you find different builds fun. Imho what is way more important for replay values in these kind of genres are things like Resident Evil 2 did , after finish once the game you unlock a spin off of story with different scenario and different approach to the whole game from scratch. Thats what i call great replay value and not just the different builds and fun bosses.

5) Well , top notch indeed. Nuff said

6) Even if its multiplayer is kinda fun i wouldnt say is Bloodbornes strongest aspect. Yes it adds value and yes is great but not THAT great in order to call it greatest ever.

Either way Bloodborne is a great game and will be remembered for years to come. Time will tell if will remain as one of the greatest or will vanish like so many other AAA games did before it.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By silversix_

@mems_1224 said:
@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

Come back to what? lol you garbage ass people.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 mems_1224

@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:
@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

well, at least everyone knows you're illiterate now

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silversix_

@mems_1224 said:
@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:
@silversix_ said:
@mems_1224 said:

well, at least everyone knows you're illiterate now

I love it when you reply with rage, shows your passion for SW. Keep it up you garbage person.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224

@silversix_ said:

I love it when you reply with rage, shows your passion for SW. Keep it up you garbage person.

???

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 silversix_

@mems_1224 said:
@silversix_ said:

???

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

@XVision84:

no, go away xvision

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SexyJazzCat

@Juub1990: Did he actually say that??

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

Hell no.

@Berserker1_5 said:

LMAO No

magmadragoonx4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 magmadragoonx4
Member since 2015 • 697 Posts

It's amazing, no doubt but I'm not sure if I'd go that far.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

i got you mems

@SexyJazzCat said:

@Juub1990: Did he actually say that??

pls no bullying

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

Great game for sure, but it doesn't make my list, mainly for I dont care for that type of game. Didn't buy it or any of the souls games.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@SexyJazzCat: Something stupid along those lines. He was also saying how much of a Mario 64 rip off Banjo Kazooie was. My guess is mems is under 18. He has no idea how games were before the 7th gen.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts
@Juub1990 said:

@SexyJazzCat: Something stupid along those lines. He was also saying how much of a Mario 64 rip off Banjo Kazooie was. My guess is mems is under 18. He has no idea how games were before the 7th gen.

He started gaming with Halo. What would you expect from him?

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I can see it being on top 100 lists (or any of the other souls games for that matter). But I'm pretty confident it wouldn't be in the top 50, and I'm VERY confident it wouldn't be in the top 20.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@mems_1224 said:

Mems, you're a rockets fan, what do you know?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@Cheleman said:

@XVision84:

no, go away xvision

Don't tell me what to do Chele you cow :P.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p: why not?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mems_1224

@XVision84 said:
@mems_1224 said:

Mems, you're a rockets fan, what do you know?

Yup, and as a fan of all Houston teams I, more than anyone else except @Blabadon, know what trash looks like.