Is being a game reviewer good?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

User Lists: 0

#1 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

I've thinking about it...what do you think? a blessing or a curse?

I'd really like to get all those games for free...but I think its a bad job, I dont why but I get the idea that most reviewers dont get the chance to enjoy the game, they are forced to beat it before a deadline AND then write the review.

its specially bad for long games...I kind of pity the guy who had to review skyrim, he must have really missed out A LOT of things to beat it fast in order to get the review before the deadline.

and not to mention the ****storm they get when the crowd doesnt agree with the review (ie mcshea and skyward sword)

ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts
i'd rather not have games feel like work to me. would ruin the experience.
ChikaraShref

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ChikaraShref
Member since 2011 • 4721 Posts
i'd rather not have games feel like work to me. would ruin the experience.ChikaraShref
not to mention you don't always get to play games like ME3 and Infamous. You also have to play the bad games...
Majistrate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Majistrate
Member since 2011 • 331 Posts

I've always wanted to be a games reviewer, I love writing, and I love playing games. I can quite happily spend hours on any game aswell, good or bad. I tend not to mark games as downright bad either, just not to my taste (unless they have glaring bugs that completely ruin the experiance)

aquaglow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 aquaglow
Member since 2011 • 69 Posts
I don't think game reviewers always beat a game before reviewing it. In some cases it would take too much time (some Final Fantasy games) or possibly be too difficult for the reviewer (100% completion on Super Meat Boy). I don't think you need to complete a game to get a good impression of it anyway, as long as you're most of the way through.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I did some reiviewing for a small site a year or two ago. Its a bit of both. Its great in some ways, but as much as you try to still enjoy it, it turns a very fun hobby into a job. Which automaticlly removes some of the fun.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#7 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
What kind of question is that? It's a job. If someone didn't want to be a game reviewer they could easily find a different job.
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lightleggy
What kind of question is that? It's a job. If someone didn't want to be a game reviewer they could easily find a different job.vashkey
im saying if it would be a good job
lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lightleggy
I don't think game reviewers always beat a game before reviewing it. In some cases it would take too much time (some Final Fantasy games) or possibly be too difficult for the reviewer (100% completion on Super Meat Boy). I don't think you need to complete a game to get a good impression of it anyway, as long as you're most of the way through.aquaglow
I know they dont, for example its obvious the guy who reviewed skyrim didnt even see half of the game's content, but still, its a dealbreaker to have to finish the game so fast.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
rushing to beat the games in time to write reviews ASAP is bad. which is why i don't review much. when i do, it's because i took my time and still go it done in time.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

[QUOTE="vashkey"]What kind of question is that? It's a job. If someone didn't want to be a game reviewer they could easily find a different job.lightleggy
im saying if it would be a good job

Depends. If your a writer then its a job. Depending on were you work, you get payed decently, but you get to see some of the ugly side of the industry.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
Even games that they are not reviewing it would be hard to just sit back and enjoy it because they would still be critiquing it in their head.
fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

What kind of question is that? It's a job. If someone didn't want to be a game reviewer they could easily find a different job.vashkey
Umm its 2012 not 1999 easily finding a job is not easy..

Anyway is it good yeah of course... you got a bunch of people on the internet mad who cares..

Though I hate reviewers who go out of their way to look for specific flaws with a game

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
You'd do it to get all those games for free? Okay, that's lame.
Evo_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

Im a game reviewer and all i do .,,awpo is bang hot chicks grewg ewgf3 all dayjks

Sorry for my bad grammar but its hard to type with 3 chicks all over you

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts
Even games that they are not reviewing it would be hard to just sit back and enjoy it because they would still be critiquing it in their head.CanYouDiglt
Everyone critiques the games they play. Its not as if game reviewers write reviews that are far better than what the average person puts out. I prefer to see an 8-15 minute review from a random youtuber over a 3 minute ign review. What I'm trying to say is, if a "professional" game reviewer really puts that much effort into his job, it should show.