Is anyone looking at this as cynically?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (12380 posts) -

My friends, when I think of games like Destiny and TitanFall, I do not look at them as games but rather "lets see what these cunts will try pull". I suspected (and now know) the price tag would be radically higher than traditional titles and that these games would probably attempt to contort the freeplay model into something even more sinister than already perceived. As a result, most highly hyped titles I have tended to just ignore, like a very cool person.

My friends, the question is, when you see these next generation (debatable) games do you get excited about what it will bring game play wise ot do you go into a fetal position expecting some yuppy in a suit with a sailboat trying to fuck you for every penny (or cent if you're one of those, Americans) you have?

It's pretty clear they are desperately attempting to make free2play model on top of a fully priced retail game the standard, they used this console launch as an opportunity to try make it happen.

#2 Edited by danabo (2474 posts) -

I won't buy either of these games. Somebody wake me up when Fallout 4 gets released.

EDIT: I am happy about Titanfall's lack of single-player. Hopefully we'll get a few more decent SP FPS' without tacked on MP, and similarly, MP FPS' without tacked on SP.

#3 Edited by gameofthering (10459 posts) -

They haven't manage to make me go "WOW! AMAZING!!!" Like so many others. I'll just have to wait and see what they turn out like.

#4 Posted by superclocked (5863 posts) -

Both games look good to me...

#5 Edited by Lucianu (9557 posts) -

That's a good post.

Judging from the launch lineup of the Xbox One and the upcoming Gran Turismo 6, seems like devs got a whiff of the potential of micro transactions. That's alarming, to say the least.. I hope Nintendo manages to get their shit together soon, otherwise the future of console gaming is fucked up beyond belief.

#6 Edited by remiks00 (2463 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: The price of of Titanfall and Destiny will be higher than 59.99? or did I read your post wrong. O_o

#7 Edited by Ginosaji (965 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

It's pretty clear they are desperately attempting to make free2play model on top of a fully priced retail game the standard, they used this console launch as an opportunity to try make it happen.

I'm not sure you can really call it free-to-play, though, since you have to subscribe to online multiplayer.

Overpriced retail game + monthly subscription + microtransactions + advertisements plastered all over the dashboard and even in-game. Just about every business model wrapped into one. I'm not sure how many more sources of revenue can be squeezed into a single game.

#8 Posted by lostrib (42187 posts) -

wait, since when are they free 2 play?

#9 Posted by uninspiredcup (12380 posts) -

That angry cynical video game nerd biscuit guy done a good video on this subject. He complained alot and swore.

#10 Edited by lostrib (42187 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

That angry cynical video game nerd biscuit guy done a good video on this subject. He complained alot and swore.

who cares

#11 Posted by uninspiredcup (12380 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

who cares

Hello.

#12 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10816 posts) -

@uninspiredcup What a lewd opening comment.

Destiny and Titanfall are current gen titles as we are currently in generation 8 and they are generation 8 titles.

#13 Edited by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

My friends, when I think of games like Destiny and TitanFall, I do not look at them as games but rather "lets see what these cunts will try pull". I suspected (and now know) the price tag would be radically higher than traditional titles and that these games would probably attempt to contort the freeplay model into something even more sinister than already perceived. As a result, most highly hyped titles I have tended to just ignore, like a very cool person.

My friends, the question is, when you see these next generation (debatable) games do you get excited about what it will bring game play wise ot do you go into a fetal position expecting some yuppy in a suit with a sailboat trying to fuck you for every penny (or cent if you're one of those, Americans) you have?

huh?

titanfall/destiny is FAR from f2p...

#14 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

who cares

Hello.

OOOOO ~~~~ he "swore"

#15 Posted by lostrib (42187 posts) -

@k2theswiss said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

who cares

Hello.

OOOOO ~~~~ he "swore"

Oh shit!

#16 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (16060 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@uninspiredcup said:

who cares

#17 Edited by locopatho (20798 posts) -

@Lucianu said:

That's a good post.

Judging from the launch lineup of the Xbox One and the upcoming Gran Turismo 6, seems like devs got a whiff of the potential of micro transactions. That's alarming, to say the least.. I hope Nintendo manages to get their shit together soon, otherwise the future of console gaming is fucked up beyond belief.

It's already gone. PCs have gotten simpler and cheaper and consoles have gotten more expensive and dearer.

#18 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

I would say I do look at consoles like that.

That's what happens when you have one company in control of a platform. You get stuck with only access to what they choose to let you have access to. MS, Sony, and Nintendo can prevent markets from appearing on their consoles that may threaten their own income which results in gamers getting less, and less value out of their consoles.

Consoles are just reaching that tipping point where it's so expensive to release a new console, and AAA games, that publishers and the console makers have opted for schemes like this in order to make ends meet.