Is AAA generally worth $60?

• 62 results
#1 Posted by drekula2 (1952 posts) -

With comments like "Ugh... $15 for 2-hour Left Behind ; $20 for 2-hour Ground Zeroes", "Indie games shouldn't be sold for over $20" and such, I have to ask if a typical AAA adventure/shooter is really worth $60 (recently: Watch Dogs and Wolfenstein). If not, then these other options are looking better already.

Personally, I buy a select few new games each year but 90% of the games I get are used.

#2 Edited by mems_1224 (47860 posts) -

Almost no game is worth $60

#3 Edited by Blabadon (27725 posts) -

$60 is hard to justify on any game tbh.

#4 Edited by GhoX (5177 posts) -

I haven't bought a game over $40 in a long long time. Most of the titles I buy tend to be around $20 for AAA and $0.1-5 for indies.

#5 Posted by EducatingU_PCMR (891 posts) -

No game is worth $60, is a complete rip-off.

#6 Posted by JangoWuzHere (16976 posts) -

You should only lay down $60 on a game that you know you will love and enjoy. Most of the people that bought into the hype for Watch_Dogs made poor decisions with their money.

#7 Edited by Cloud_imperium (4806 posts) -

Most so called AAA games are linear corridor shooters with no replay value . Such games shouldn't be priced more than 25$ . Since they spend millions of dollars to advertise it as AAA title , so they charge 60 bucks to make some profit .

Yes there are games like AC 4 : Black Flag , Witcher 3 , Starcraft 2 etc that are true AAA games with lot of replay value and stuff to do , and such games can be priced at 50$ (60$ is still too much) .

#8 Posted by darkspineslayer (20158 posts) -

If the gaming industry was a lot more flexible in pricing structure, we might see a lot more games actually making money.

Ever since they had the dollar excuse (that's for another thread) and bumped games up to $70 in canada, I've been all the more careful about my purchases.

#9 Edited by OhSnapitz (18512 posts) -

...that's completely up to the end user. I've spent $60 on titles that I've played for the last 7+ years.

Its like everything else in life..YOU dictate what's worth your hard earned money.

#10 Posted by Naylord (693 posts) -

I think it is but I don't pay that except for the occasional megaton game I need day 1. The vast majority of games I'm playing a year past release at cheap bargain prices or I just borrow them from friends (borrowing from friends is the most common; we do that a lot; every game I buy ends up getting beaten by usually around 4 people in my social circle)

#11 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17322 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

@Blabadon said:

#12 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3000 posts) -

Very very very very few games are worth full price.

Of the top of my head

All GTA games,Oblivion,Skyrim,Fallout 3,Batman AA/AC,Witcher 2,DAO,

#13 Posted by airshocker (30656 posts) -

Really depends. I tend to find games with open-worlds, and RPGs to be more worth $60 than anything else.

#14 Posted by happyduds77 (1541 posts) -

It depends how much you like the game.

#15 Posted by KungfuKitten (21294 posts) -

Nope. And normally there are places where it won't cost you $60. Or $70 even, as is the case lately.

#16 Posted by AzatiS (7859 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Take out Almost

#17 Posted by LustForSoul (5904 posts) -

No game is worth it. Some people know they'll play it for 200+ hours so they could justify it. But generally it's still not worth it, that's why I stepped down from consoles.

#18 Posted by Jeager_Titan (947 posts) -

Short Answer : No

Long Answer : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

#19 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (8406 posts) -

$60 is a lot but think about every AAA game is guaranteed to have DLC too. In the end a game could be $70 to $120 depending how much you like it.

#20 Posted by hoyalawya (342 posts) -

On the flip side, video game developers are getting paid peanuts especially considering the number of hours they have to put in. Video game is one of the most risky businesses in the world. A studio typically works on a game for 2+ years. A smaller studio will go bankrupt if its game flops or canceled. Consumers are demanding more and more complex games - bigger worlds, bigger stories, more effects, better graphics, etc. This is one of the reasons why we are seeing a lot of sequels & remakes and DLC & exclusivity deals to offset risks. To me, I will gladly pay full price for video games and will never buy or sell used games.

#21 Posted by Netret0120 (2255 posts) -

@GhoX said:

I haven't bought a game over $40 in a long long time. Most of the titles I buy tend to be around $20 for AAA and $0.1-5 for indies.

This. $60 is a lot of money so i rarely buy a game for that price.

#22 Posted by MirkoS77 (8005 posts) -

I suppose I'm the only one that thinks $60 is not all that much to ask for a (well made) game. Something that's replayable and can give dozens of hours of enjoyment is not a ripoff when it's $60.

#23 Posted by MBirdy88 (8592 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

I suppose I'm the only one that thinks $60 is not all that much to ask for a (well made) game. Something that's replayable and can give dozens of hours of enjoyment is not a ripoff when it's $60.

a very level-headed outlook... makes me wonder how young most of the complainers are.

I find paying £10 to go to the cinema for 2 hours to be far worse value.... or friggin £20 for a domino's pizza that taste worse than the £4 12 inch freshly made pizzas in ASDA .... but its different for everyone.

£40 for a brilliant game? that can lasts 100s of hours? hell even 10-40 hours is great.

Sadly as others have pointed out... most of the big console games that are this price are shallow 10 hour rehashes... its harder to justify then.

#24 Posted by RR360DD (12891 posts) -

Value is completely subjective.

I think AAA games are worth £40.

Don't understand people who bash corridor shooters, and then hype garbage 2D linear indie games.

#25 Posted by Effec_Tor (383 posts) -

AAA games are worth the 60$ as long as they don't have DLC

#26 Posted by TheShadowLord07 (22162 posts) -

depends on the game. I think the new batman game is worth $60 to me. Though I really want to see more of gotham city and the other stuff rocksteady has to offer. Really want to see this game either comic con or gamescom. Also nintendo games (supposedly) are worth their price and they dont seem to come down in price. Though I think that hurts the their consoles to be quite honest.

#27 Posted by SolidGame_basic (18729 posts) -

if you have a good job $60 isn't too bad

#28 Edited by Gue1 (10756 posts) -

i bet the order will not be worth the $60. The game will probably be like 6 hours long with no co-op or online multiplayer. You beat the game once and move on. Total waste of money....

#29 Posted by freedomfreak (41989 posts) -
@mems_1224 said:

@Blabadon said:

Yup.

I hate spending that amount of money on one game. It's even up to 70 now, which is ridiculous.

#30 Posted by Heirren (18161 posts) -

In ways, yes. Games selling well upon release proves interest. If there is a genre that doesn't get enough recognition that you like, supporting the game up front actually does help.

#31 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

Yup to me. Maybe because I sell my games when I am done so in the end it cost about $5-20 to play a game depending how long I keep it

Watchdogs cost me $6 bucks to play, cheaper then a movie and lasted 10x longer. Bought it day one for $51 day one resold it back to bestbuy yesterday for $44.

For people who never sell their games. Then I can see $60 being little pricey. I see no reason keeping a game once I am done with. If for somobe reason I really want it I bet I would be able buy it again cheaper then what I sold it for.

#32 Posted by lostrib (40229 posts) -

I don't think I've bought a game for 60 dollars in a while

#33 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9213 posts) -

It depends on the amount of quality play time a game provides for you IMHO.

The following recent games were more than worth it

-Pikmin 3= 50+ hours so far (going for faster story completion and high scores in challenge mode)

-Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze= 60+ hours so far (going for hard mode completion 200%)

-Super Mario 3D World= 70+ hours so far (several play throughs and still trying to beat the very last level)

#34 Edited by heretrix (37489 posts) -

It depends on what you get out of it. Even though I only paid 40 bucks for it (I refuse to pay full price for ANY Ubisoft game) Watch Dogs has plenty of content and the campaign will take a decent amount of time to complete. I think gamers should be more thoughtful of where they spend their dollars instead of falling for hype and then wasting their money and bitching about it on a gaming forum. IF you know you are going to like the game then it's worth full price, if you are on the fence do some research and wait for a sale. Buy smarter.

#35 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3715 posts) -

Some games are worth $60, but I'd rather not spend that much on every game.

#36 Edited by finalfantasy94 (26767 posts) -

I usually buy my games at a price drop which happens pretty fast and having PS+ helps.

#37 Edited by foxhound_fox (89887 posts) -

Maybe 1 in 10 $60 games I buy I feel are worth the full price. And I buy maybe 2-3 $60 games per year.

#38 Posted by Minishdriveby (10229 posts) -

@GhoX said:

This man knows how to shop. I'm the same way. $20-30 is the most I pay for a game. Now it might be a different story if monetary value of games didn't plummet after the first month, but the fact that I can buy a game for $30 that released 3 months ago causes me to hold out on purchases.

#39 Edited by drekula2 (1952 posts) -

I think my willingness to spend $60 on a game depends on extrinsic factors like "how much money do I have", "have I bought a game in a while", "do I have free time this week" and such. Rather than the quality of the game itself.

#40 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24035 posts) -

it's not.

i am mostly done buying at launch except maybe once or twice a year.

in most cases a typical game is half price in 8 months and 80% off in a year.

the only things i consider at launch anymore are multiplayer heavy titles where i want to get in on the action while everyone is still playing it.

#41 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

No game is worth $60.

#42 Posted by Roler42 (804 posts) -

unless you absolutely love a developer? nope

#43 Edited by Legend002 (7360 posts) -

Back in the day all Square games were worth full price of admission. Now it's just Rockstar North and Naughty Dog.

#44 Posted by parkurtommo (27525 posts) -

Depends entirely on what 60$ means for you. lol

For me it means a lot, and I'm a PC gamer so steam sales have heavily skewed my view on prices. I basically only buy shit when it's less than 20$ or ideally under 10, be it an indie game or a blockbuster title, it's all the same to me. Rogue Legacy has already given me more enjoyment than say Dead Space 2 (even if you can't entirely get enjoyment out of a horror game).

#45 Edited by ArisShadows (22664 posts) -

@roler42 said:

unless you absolutely love a developer? nope

I seen you post in the Fez steam forums.

#46 Edited by CanYouDiglt (7584 posts) -

I think it depends on the amount of time a player will be able to get out of it. For me games like Skyrim, Fallout 3 and other games like that I easily got my money worth. For others games like CoD are worth it even though the single player portion is short they may play the multiplayer for months or even years.

#47 Posted by jake44 (2038 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

#48 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9537 posts) -

Fixed pricing scheme and constant inability to react and adjust prices dynamically to falling demand due to games being less than what publishers hoped to be is what's killing the industry.

#49 Posted by trugs26 (5754 posts) -

I pay that price for my very favorite franchises.