Is a game overrated if people stop caring?

#1 Edited by uninspiredcup (9654 posts) -

Games like Quake 3 are played by thousands of people to the his day. Single player titles such as System Shock 2 and Empire: Total War are are played and talked about to this to this day. 9 years on, Diablo II was still sitting in the top 10 selling pc games list.

Starcraft? No explanation needed.

If a game is loved at the moment the nobody gives a shit after a very short period of time (the Titanfalls, the Uncharted's) is this a sign of a title being overrated?

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (47448 posts) -

titanfall is still played by thousands of people so i guess people still care using your logic

#3 Posted by Star67 (3455 posts) -

All the games you mentioned are on PC, you can always play older pc games on a pc, you can't do that with consoles because once a new one is released you can't play the old games. (now anyway)

But I still play GoldenEye, Mario64, Battletoads, and Sonic every now and then. Those games still hold up and are still talked about and played.

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (9654 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Its not only games like COD are to blame. idiots who play the are also blame. as long as they will keep buying dev keep making these cinematic games. and critics will keep praise.

once they will stop buying casual games dev will stop making. but it wont be happen.

System shock to bioshock, Crysis to Crysis 2/3, FEAR to FEAR 2/, Deus Ex to Deus Ex IW/HR (HR is great game one of my fav but still dumbed down if it carter towards original fanbase only that it would be better), SPlinter cell to splinter cell conviction/blacklist, hitman to hitman absoution etc

once dev say we are making accessible then 100% sure game will suck. they will market and say we are making for fans but also cartering to new comers. why cartering to new comers? why dev not say if u want to get into "franchise x" better start with original if u cant than dont bother.

Valve will save us.

A well thought out post.

#6 Posted by kingtito (5082 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Its not only games like COD are to blame. idiots who play the are also blame. as long as they will keep buying dev keep making these cinematic games. and critics will keep praise.

once they will stop buying casual games dev will stop making. but it wont be happen.

System shock to bioshock, Crysis to Crysis 2/3, FEAR to FEAR 2/, Deus Ex to Deus Ex IW/HR (HR is great game one of my fav but still dumbed down if it carter towards original fanbase only that it would be better), SPlinter cell to splinter cell conviction/blacklist, hitman to hitman absoution etc

once dev say we are making accessible then 100% sure game will suck. they will market and say we are making for fans but also cartering to new comers. why cartering to new comers? why dev not say if u want to get into "franchise x" better start with original if u cant than dont bother.

Valve will save us.

So people are supposed to stop buying games they like or find interesting? They're only supposed to buy games that YOU find good or worthy or purchase?

#7 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10587 posts) -

What makes you think people don't care about Titanfall anymore?

#8 Edited by Joedgabe (5129 posts) -

There's nothing else to play ATM besides Titanfall or Dark Souls so yes people care about titanfall.

#9 Posted by Star67 (3455 posts) -

I think TC is talking about staying power. Will people really be playing titan fall or COD 10 years from now? I doubt it

#10 Posted by Ballroompirate (23279 posts) -

I dont know who's worse at making threads, SNIPER or uninspiredcup

#11 Posted by Netret0120 (2255 posts) -

@Star67 said:

I think TC is talking about staying power. Will people really be playing titan fall or COD 10 years from now? I doubt it

#12 Edited by Cloud_imperium (4294 posts) -

Yes exactly . The problems is that most of the current critics have not been into gaming long enough . So, every time when some generic shooter is revealed for any console , it is hyped to death by both fans and critics . It is treated as the next big thing . Sadly that's game industry of today .

Back then , games with innovative gameplay used to be praised for innovation . Now it is all about mindless action , cheesy dialogues and press A to win gameplay . Good games are remembered for very long time , some of them have already been mentioned by OP . Just remove Action genre from Xbox 360 and PS3 , now tell me how many exclusives both consoles got last gen .

#14 Posted by Gue1 (10414 posts) -

a game is overrated when many people care about it but you don't.

#15 Posted by clone01 (24937 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

I'm fairly certain they, and jankarop, are one and the same idiot.

#16 Posted by Ballroompirate (23279 posts) -

@clone01 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

I'm fairly certain they, and jankarop, are one and the same idiot.

Wouldn't surprise me if it was true

#17 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3651 posts) -

CoD is incredibly underrated.

#19 Posted by Spartan070 (16365 posts) -

So Quake III is played more currently than Titanfall? Because if it's not then thread=void right?

#20 Edited by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

people still play COD4 lol

#21 Posted by KittenNose (552 posts) -

Gamers do not make a game overrated. If millions of people buy and adore a game, it is fantastic, even if it isn't for you. If anything, that is the true glory of PC gaming. I am going to lose myself in Galactic Civilizations 3. Many of my friends will do the same. We will talk about the crazy ships we made in the game, and the close calls those ships saved us from.

I will however be stunned if the game gets an 8 on metacritic. I don't care if it gets a 4 or a 10. The game is for folks like me. I will rate it magnificently, and anyone who claims I am overrating it is a doof. The only force that can make a game overrated is the tabloid gaming media indulging payola. Gamers rate games as they see fit, and gamers are never wrong about how much they enjoy a game.

#22 Posted by DocSanchez (1718 posts) -

Lastability is not nearly the only indicator of a game's quality.

#23 Edited by cainetao11 (17995 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Valve will save us.

Now, I am by no means a COD fan, I don't remember the last time I bought one of them new, Its idiotic statements like yours, that I hate. Nobody is beneath you, and you shit sure aren't higher than anyone else because people like and buy different things. Come down of your high horse.

#24 Posted by Krelian-co (11657 posts) -

@SNIPER4321 said:

Valve will save us.

excuse me for liking games that you don't like, i will stop buying games that you don't approve, oh wait i don't give a flying fuk what you think.

#25 Posted by Krelian-co (11657 posts) -
@SNIPER4321 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Back then , games with innovative gameplay used to be praised for innovation .

no not really. back than better PC games were mostly underappreciated. compare to console games

Thief and Deus Ex were praised less than MGS and Halo in mainstream media....

that's because mgs and halo are better than thief and deus ex #dealwithit

#26 Posted by happyduds77 (1534 posts) -

Things get seriously weird when SNIPER replies to SNIPER....oh I mean unispiredcup.

#27 Posted by princeofshapeir (14412 posts) -

When people stop taking sniper seriously this board will be a better place

#28 Edited by VendettaRed07 (14012 posts) -

When making kind of bold statements like this, you have to be very careful with your examples.

Your point, I agree with honestly.. I mean, how many games are hyped up for months, and years even, get rave reviews, and then are dropped like a rock after a week? How long games remain relevant is very important and an indicator of their quality, especially online/multiplayer games.

But the Uncharted games and Titanfall don't back up your statement.

#29 Edited by remiks00 (1969 posts) -

@kittennose said:

Gamers do not make a game overrated. If millions of people buy and adore a game, it is fantastic, even if it isn't for you. If anything, that is the true glory of PC gaming. I am going to lose myself in Galactic Civilizations 3. Many of my friends will do the same. We will talk about the crazy ships we made in the game, and the close calls those ships saved us from.

I will however be stunned if the game gets an 8 on metacritic. I don't care if it gets a 4 or a 10. The game is for folks like me. I will rate it magnificently, and anyone who claims I am overrating it is a doof. The only force that can make a game overrated is the tabloid gaming media indulging payola. Gamers rate games as they see fit, and gamers are never wrong about how much they enjoy a game.

Superb post as usual KN.

#30 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (9312 posts) -

No one seems to talk about Red Dead Redemption anymore...

#31 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34175 posts) -

This game is overrated = BOOHOO I HATE THIS GAME EVERYONE ELSE LIKES.

#32 Posted by cooolio (516 posts) -

It just boils down to opinions and whether or not we judge games equally. Look at Infamous SS. It is not a bad game, but the story could have been better. In my opinion, an amazing open world game is one that is developed around the character and story. The story helps develop the characters and the gameplay and missions are based around who the character is and what he or she would do. However, the the things that the most fans focus on is the gameplay. I remember a poster told me that a developed open world and side missions would have been cool, but nobody cares about that. He said the people are focused only on finding the next area to test there powers. He said a similar thing about GTA V when he noted how nobody cared about the detail in the world because they were only concerned about crashing a car.

Now, all of this basically shows how fans of certain franchises do not expect certain things from certain games. They have a certain aspect of the game they like and they accept the main focus that the developers have in mind, and the fans do not want more.

Anyway, people will still play those games. More importantly, you are not using any more recent games as examples of games that are still played. That does not really help your discussion.

#33 Posted by jg4xchamp (48715 posts) -

Plenty of great works in other mediums get forgotten.

Why would this medium be any different?

#34 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14030 posts) -

We have casuals and then we have hipsters. Both giving praise for totally the wrong reasons.

#35 Posted by quakke (191 posts) -

Titanfalls and Battlefields, no difference. The people to whom those games are catered to, are known as non-gamers. Non-gamer is someone who only plays games for the story, graphics and fun (without having to do any actual work for it. Ie. be challenged) for a couple hours, someone who instantly stops caring about a game once the game actually decides to refuse hold players hand anymore. Examples.

Quake II is Hardcore (as stupid as HC sounds, it's kinda true)

CoD is as Casual as can be.

Quake 3 Arena is Hardcore

Battlefield is very Casual.

Tomb Raider (1996) is Hardcore

Tomb Raider (2013) is as Casual as can be.

I'm sorry but if you're getting mad, then you just can't deal with the facts. Games have been Hardcore alot longer than Casual. I beleive games were Casual from 1980 to 1983 and from 1987 all the way to 2006 stayed Hardcore. That's almost 20 years. So just because games went casual as of 2007, doesn't mean they gonna stay that way. CoD is already very hated, BF flopped, Titanfall also garnering hate all over. Things are looking to revert back to Hardcore very soon.

#36 Edited by elkoldo (1197 posts) -

System Shock 2 is played and talked about today ? For real ?

I don't think so ,'cause even Bioshock infinite has virtually faded out of memories after only one year.

#37 Posted by Nev3rtime (8 posts) -

@elkoldo: I've talked about system shock 2 recently and a friend of mine just played through it for the first time a few months ago. It's was a ground breaking game that, if you look past the controls and crude game engine which were sub standard even when first released, it offers a game that feels fresher and more memorable than most games today, including bioshock infinite.

But bioshock infinite has the disadvantage in that it came out far later, when we'd already seen many great story lead first person rpg shooters. Just as no band today, no matter how good, could be as ground breaking as the beatles and no game dev could be as ground breaking as Shigeru Miyamoto. Bioshock could never have been as ground breaking as system shock 2.

#38 Edited by cooolio (516 posts) -

@Nev3rtime: You also have to consider the generation from the past is different from the one now. When it comes to being someone from an a different time, you will have bias because what you grew up seeing as good is not the same as what the present standards define as good.

A lot of older games had better concepts and ideas that were good for their time because they were new, and they would be amazing if they were to be remade with completely new animations and graphics that today's technology can provide. In my opinion, the concepts and ideas of game, no matter what the age, can prove to be better than a game that is more recent.

Just look at the way you described system shock 2. It had ideas and concepts that were ahead of its time, but a few things head it back. It is a reminder of how no one is trying to use ideas like that now that we have the technology to use them to their full potential.

#39 Posted by PinkieWinkie (1376 posts) -

Dat uninspiredcup/sniper troll thread

#40 Posted by uninspiredcup (9654 posts) -

@elkoldo said:

System Shock 2 is played and talked about today ? For real ?

I don't think so ,'cause even Bioshock infinite has virtually faded out of memories after only one year.

It's very much like how when people first experienced cinema, the train on the projector screen caused a reaction from people, the concept was new and they believed it would exit the screen. This is console gaming. PC gamers had experienced System Shock 2 and titles like Baldurs Gate and Quake for a long, long. So when Bioshock and Mass Effect arrived, apathy.

For the less involved gamer, exciting stuff.

#41 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2103 posts) -

@Star67 said:

I have to disagree with you. People are still play Madden, Need for Speed and Resident Evil and those franchises are all in or close to their 20 something age since their debuts. CoD will be played as long as somebody continues to make them. Unless the FPS genre just dries up and blows away, that franchise isn't going away!

#42 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (5492 posts) -

titanfall is a good platform for their first game but they need to improve the formula for the sequel. its a good game but very overrated

#43 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5363 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@SNIPER4321 said:

Valve will save us.

A well thought out post.

Agreed.... which is why you can't lump things like uncharted in your posts..but call of duty sure. Any game basically that has been dumbed down from having an original hardcore root in the PC culture. I was saying this back in 2006 but no one was listening...you were all praising the stupid 360 and its shinnies .. meanwhile ms was slaughtering it's hardcore pc devs and other devs were slaughtering their games in the name of "accessibility" ..bah

#44 Edited by Midnightshade29 (5363 posts) -

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

@Star67 said:

I have to disagree with you. People are still play Madden, Need for Speed and Resident Evil and those franchises are all in or close to their 20 something age since their debuts. CoD will be played as long as somebody continues to make them. Unless the FPS genre just dries up and blows away, that franchise isn't going away!

difference is no one is going to be playing Cod Ghost or titanfall 1 in 10 years from now...no one... While people still fire up diablo 2, quake 3, Final fantasy 7, Resident evil 1, silent hill, Symphony of the night, thief 1 and 2, system shock, baldurs gate, a link to the past, etc....

#45 Posted by ghostwarrior786 (5492 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

@ShoTTyMcNaDeS said:

@Star67 said:

difference is no one is going to be playing Cod Ghost or titanfall 1 in 10 years from now...no one... While people still fire up diablo 2, quake 3, Final fantasy 7, Resident evil 1, silent hill, Symphony of the night, thief 1 and 2, system shock, baldurs gate, a link to the past, etc....

but if the game was great for its time and provided hours of fun it has served its purpose has it not? i put more than 1000 hours into bad company 2 multiplayer and of course i wont be playing it 10 years from now because the servers will most likely be dead but that doesnt mean its not a great game.