Is 2014 a bad year for gaming?

• 82 results
Posted by vashkey (33750 posts) 4 months, 16 days ago

Poll: Is 2014 a bad year for gaming? (66 votes)

Yeah, it's been pretty weak 70%
Nah man, all I need is my Dark Souls 2 30%

Anyone agree? Not many stand out titles, the rest of this year looks pretty weak, especially after delays for games like Evolve, Hardline and Batman.

Personally, the only games I actually forward to for the rest of the year are Bayonetta 2 and the Master Chief Collection and the latter isn't even really a new game. While it's not been quite as bad as the first year of the WIIU the PS4 and Xbone have done a pretty piss poor job at justifying their existence and they've even missed out on some fairly significant title their predecessors received this year like Dark Souls 2 and Borderlands the Presequel.

#1 Posted by lostrib (37627 posts) -

I want to say no, but I don't care about Dark Souls 2

#2 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8151 posts) -

Yeah, nothing but collections and remakes. :(

#3 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10526 posts) -

It's been the worst year I can remember....the X1/PS4 launch games only lasted so long.

#4 Posted by YD_11 (1856 posts) -

No and the year is only 7 months in

#5 Posted by uninspiredcup (8938 posts) -

Darksouls 2 wasn't particularly great.

For fans of CRPG's, this will undoubtedly be a damp inducing show of joy.

#6 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6561 posts) -

nah 3 RPGs brought out back to back, pretty much made my entire year (Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity), Alien: Isolation, perhaps Dragon Age 3 (will not hold my breath though, but may be good), potentially Risen 3, Bayonetta 2.

A fairly good year tbh.

#8 Posted by Blabadon (26586 posts) -

Nah man, all I need is my Dark Souls 2

#9 Posted by wiifan001 (18421 posts) -

This has been the worst year in a very long time

#10 Posted by uninspiredcup (8938 posts) -

@wiifan001 said:

I think it's been a terrible year, the worst it's been since...2006?

For consoles. For pc (the pinnacle of gaming) it has been excellent.

#11 Edited by Wasdie (50001 posts) -

It's a pretty slow year that's for sure. Maybe it will pick up later this year. Seem the majority of great looking titles dropped to 2015.

#12 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I would have voted, but my answer is no and I have no desire to own/play dark souls 2. It only sucks if you only game on console.

#13 Edited by evildead6789 (7881 posts) -

Well , i just played wolfenstein and that was a nice breath of fresh air

gonna start assassins creed IV now, don't know what to expect, it's ubi , so i don't expect much.

Started playing dark souls 2, i really liked the first, but i can't get into the second, gave it up after a couple of hours.

#14 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

I suppose if you are a non PlayStation gamer.

#15 Posted by MonsieurX (30425 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Infamous aaaaaaaaaand...?

#16 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8151 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

Where are all those award winning PS4 exclusives?

#17 Edited by PhazonBlazer (11916 posts) -

How can it be bad if we have two Assassin's Creed games AND a Far Cry game?

Probably the best year since 2012 when we got AC3 which was literally the GOAT.

#18 Posted by Consternated (496 posts) -

Hearthstone, Divinity: Original Sin, Shovel Knight, Mario Kart, Smash, Transistor, Civilization: Beyond Earth, Elite: Dangerous.

Not terrible, but it's no 2007.

#19 Posted by with_teeth26 (6187 posts) -

Its been pretty slow, Dark Souls 2 was a disappointment and most other games I was hyped about got pushed to 2015.

Still a few good games here and there but its been a slow year overall

#20 Posted by Ballroompirate (23030 posts) -

Actually I've been loving it so w/e, not my fault people have bad taste.

#21 Posted by silversix_ (14790 posts) -

Bad? The worst since i started gaming. So far this year has only 2 games worth a damn, 1- DkS2 2- Divinity OS. Everything else is garbage.

#22 Edited by LegatoSkyheart (25552 posts) -

2014 was delayed to 2015

#23 Posted by MBirdy88 (8318 posts) -

Its not the best of years... thanks to these overhyped delay machines that serve little purpose at the present. PC Gaming is ok.. not the greatest either.

It'l be fine by years end though.

#24 Posted by Blabadon (26586 posts) -

Not a bad year to catch up on older games. But it's not a loaded year like 2011 or 2013. I'm happy so far though. I'm sure I'll discover some awesome games from this year like I did for 2012, another weaker year.

#25 Edited by R3FURBISHED (10599 posts) -

March was a pretty great month with South Park, Titanfall and Dark Souls 2(didn't play it but is supposed to good). InFamous was good while it lasted (better than #2 at least), Forza 5 is the best in the series.

And let us not forget what comes out in September:

#26 Posted by PsychoLemons (2111 posts) -

Yes it is.

#27 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (875 posts) -

It's pretty bad, but the back end features some amazing things like the full release of Wasteland 2 and Civ: Beyond Earth.

@R3FURBISHED Released last year...

Also considered a huge let down...

#28 Posted by starwolf474 (695 posts) -

Overall, yeah, especially if you don't have a Wii U.

#29 Posted by thehig1 (2241 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I want to say no, but I don't care about Dark Souls 2

This

Other games have kept me entertained this year, I haven't even played Dark Souls 2.

#30 Posted by Boddicker (2797 posts) -

2014 for consoles is complete shit.

2015 looks to be only mildly better.

2016 - ??????

#31 Edited by chocolate1325 (32539 posts) -

Yeh but hopefully the likes of Destiny,Far Cry 4,The Evil Within and Assassins Creed Unity can end the year well.

#32 Posted by lostrib (37627 posts) -

@chocolate1325 said:

Yeh but hopefully the likes of Destiny,Far Cry 4,The Evil Within and Assassins Creed Unity can end the year well.

Damn I keep forgetting FC4 is a 2014 game

#33 Posted by SolidGame_basic (17928 posts) -

severely underrated

#34 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10599 posts) -

@UnbiasedPoster said:

It's pretty bad, but the back end features some amazing things like the full release of Wasteland 2 and Civ: Beyond Earth.

@R3FURBISHED Released last year...

Also considered a huge let down...

You mean Forza 5? I didn't realize it had been out that long. AND (!!!) I forgot about Civ: Beyond Earth, which very well could be the best game of the year.

#35 Posted by getyeryayasout (7599 posts) -

A year like 2014 is the type of year I use to justify my backlog to myself, as I'm standing in line to buy new games. It's been a great year to catch up on my console backlog, and play some of the PC indies I'd been missing out on.

2014: Playing last year's games, waiting for next year's games.

#36 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17216 posts) -

2013 and 2014 have both been terrible in my eyes. That's ok though, because it's given me the chance to play a lot of retro games.

#37 Posted by MrYaotubo (2709 posts) -

I disagree,great year for RPG fans with releases like Divinity: original Sin,Wasteland 2,Pillars of Eternity,Dark Souls 2 and Dragon Age,big releases like Civilization Beyond Earth,Elite: Dangerous and Destiny,tons of top rated indies,etc.
Not the very best year material overall perhaps but a really good one,for the PC at least,for consoles not so much.

#38 Posted by Big_Pecks (5350 posts) -

2014's been dry but as usual the good stuff comes late.

#39 Posted by jg4xchamp (48351 posts) -

Dark Souls 2, Divinity Original Sin, Shovel Knight, Transistor, Valiant Hearts, Wolfenstein The New Order, Titanfall, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Bravely Default, Smite, The Banner Saga, Xenonauts, all say no, the year is fine. Bayonetta 2, The Witness, Shadow of Mordor, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, and all these other games are on their way in the fall as well.

#40 Posted by CrownKingArthur (4894 posts) -

why, what's been happening or not happening?

#41 Edited by Kinthalis (5322 posts) -

Maybe for consoles, but for PC it's been a pretty good year and shows no signs of slowing down. In particular it's shaping up to be THE year for RPG's on PC. Probably will tlak about this year in RPG's for a while to come!

RPG's like: Divinity: OS, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age 3, The banner Saga, Might And Magic X: Legacy, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, South Park: SoT, Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls, Dark Souls 2.

Not to mention other games like: Civ: Beyond Earth, Elite Dangerous, NidddHog, Banished, Warlock 2 Exiled, Van Helsing 2, Tropico 5, Watchdogs, Endless Legend, Age of Wonders 3, Grid, Company of heroes expansion, Dead Rising 3, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, F1 2014, Borderlands:The presequel, Shovel Knight.

My cup hath overfloweth.

#42 Posted by Bigboi500 (29999 posts) -

Nope.

#43 Posted by Buckhannah (312 posts) -

@evildead6789 said:

gonna start assassins creed IV now, don't know what to expect, it's ubi , so i don't expect much.

You might be surprised. Black Flag is a genuinely great game, especially if you get into the pirate stuff.

I think this could end up being a great year of gaming for me. Survival Horror is finally back from hiatus, (loved Outlast, and can't wait for Evil Within and Alien: Isolation) FFXIV is crack, and as a Vita owner I was introduced to Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f this year, and will get the second one in the exact same year as well, and those games are just… they are just pure joy. (like drinking unicorn giggles while prancing naked through a field of flowers) I also got to play TLOU for the first time this year on PS4, and that's been a special event for me as it delivers on the hype it received so far.

We also finally got a good Infamous game this year!

#44 Posted by cainetao11 (17708 posts) -

With the biggest quarter still to come I say of course its the worst gaming year in history.

#45 Posted by cainetao11 (17708 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

I would have voted, but my answer is no and I have no desire to own/play dark souls 2. It only sucks if you only game on console.

@amazonangry said:

The dichotomy here is hilarious

#46 Posted by lostrib (37627 posts) -

@amazonangry said:

please explain

#47 Posted by commonfate (12462 posts) -

I've played through like half a dozen great games this year.

But none of them came out this year.

Overall a good year.

#48 Posted by vashkey (33750 posts) -

@starwolf474 said:

Overall, yeah, especially if you don't have a Wii U.

WiiU is really just Bayonetta 2, Smash and Mario Kart. I'd argue it has the weakest year, even if it has the best exclusives, it's just three games.

#49 Edited by uninspiredcup (8938 posts) -

@Kinthalis said:

Maybe for consoles, but for PC it's been a pretty good year and shows no signs of slowing down. In particular it's shaping up to be THE year for RPG's on PC. Probably will tlak about this year in RPG's for a while to come!

RPG's like: Divinity: OS, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Dragon Age 3, The banner Saga, Might And Magic X: Legacy, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, South Park: SoT, Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls, Dark Souls 2.

Not to mention other games like: Civ: Beyond Earth, Elite Dangerous, NidddHog, Banished, Warlock 2 Exiled, Van Helsing 2, Tropico 5, Watchdogs, Endless Legend, Age of Wonders 3, Grid, Company of heroes expansion, Dead Rising 3, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, F1 2014, Borderlands:The presequel, Shovel Knight.

My cup hath overfloweth.

Incredibly true. Incredibly so. Incredible.

#50 Edited by intotheminx (703 posts) -

There are a few games that can hold you over. Divinity, Dark Souls 2, Shovel Knight, Child of Light, ....uhhhh....I guess it is a depressing year lol. I can't think of any other game besides those that I've had fun playing.