Is 1080p really needed in games ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#551 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

Direct feed of Dark Souls.

PS3_003.bmp.jpg

mitu123
That looks way better than the pre ds fix screens posted here.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#552 Cranler
[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="04dcarraher"]

Please.... stop posting nonsense, you obviously have no idea whats going on. Dropping resolution is meant to speed up the framereate after adding effects. For example with dante's inferno the developer had two options keep resolution at 720 use better graphics but only be at 30 fps or lower the graphics quality to keep the 60 fps standard at 720. IW did it differently they sacrificed resolution to keep the both aspects as best as they could keep it. however taking a hit with detail and clarity.

04dcarraher
As usual with this thread someone posts irrelavent pics. This isnt about pc vs console. Geez! lol! I said exactly what you said I didnt say. I said they dropped res to improve shadows and lighting. Those are effects, are they not? COD 4 got hdr and much better shadows than the series previously had. To implement these new effects they sacrificed the resolution. What do those pics have to do with this topic? A releavent screen comparison would be comparing 360 version of Cod 2 which was 720p against 360 version of Cod 4 which had superior graphics despite having a lower res.

The whole point of this thread is 1080 isnt need and pc vs console proves its needed to a degree, why dont go away

Your comparing pc maxed to consoles which are medium settings at best. Thats the opposite of what this thread is about.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#553 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

PS3_003.bmp.jpg

Cranler

Yeah it was taken from Digital Foundry, who do these kind of things with their capture devices.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#554 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

From experimenting with different resolutions and detail levels in this thread.....

At equal detail levels, I'd definitely take 1080p over 720p

With 1080p/Low vs 720p/High, it's a crap shoot. Some games like Alan Wake still looked better at 1080p/Low. But, then, I was playing Hard Reset earlier. I think I prefer Hard Reset at 720p/High than 1080p/Low. I like the shiny stuff in Hard Reset and the shine is gone when using Low detail.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#555 arto1223
Member since 2005 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

I always turn shadows off. Even in PlanetSide 2 and BF3 where I have everything on max and still get over 60fps, I turn off shadows. HDR lighting is fine. It doesn't hit hard and it looks fine. I get over 100fps in BF3 when recording on max at 1080. PC hardware is fine, we get great graphics and crazy high resolutions in which people have three 1080 monitors for one game.

Cranler

Another person who doesnt understand my point or doesnt read whats being replied to. I call bs on you getting over 100fps in BF 3. Even with sli gtx 680's you would wouldnt be able to stay above 100 consistently. Reason pc gamers run at such high res is because graphics have barely evolved in the last 5 years.

Okay, think whatever you want to think, but I get over 100fps in BF3 at my settings which are for the most part on max. It really isn't that difficult.

theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#556 theSADmafioso
Member since 2008 • 482 Posts

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="mitu123"]

PS3_003.bmp.jpg

mitu123

Yeah it was taken from Digital Foundry, who do these kind of things with their capture devices.

Nope. My screen was taking 720p upscaled through my GPU not monitor (Cramer) but showing what happens with that resolution when it has to cover a surface bigger than say 720p TV 3 meters away. I took that precious screen and ran it in fullscreen on my montitor so challanged people can understand the concept. Crude and not accurate but gets the basic point across of what happens. The bump into 1080p is getting more and more important by the day because 32 inch TVs are thing of the past and I personally will buy a new TV at 50-55 inches and 1080p resolution. Now imagine how that tiny image will look if streched through that real estate?

17378561.png

Wiimotefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#557 Wiimotefan
Member since 2010 • 4151 Posts

Absolutely

[spoiler] not [/spoiler]

[spoiler] sure [/spoiler]

[spoiler] if [/spoiler]

[spoiler] serious [/spoiler]

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#558 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="arto1223"]

I always turn shadows off. Even in PlanetSide 2 and BF3 where I have everything on max and still get over 60fps, I turn off shadows. HDR lighting is fine. It doesn't hit hard and it looks fine. I get over 100fps in BF3 when recording on max at 1080. PC hardware is fine, we get great graphics and crazy high resolutions in which people have three 1080 monitors for one game.

arto1223

Another person who doesnt understand my point or doesnt read whats being replied to. I call bs on you getting over 100fps in BF 3. Even with sli gtx 680's you would wouldnt be able to stay above 100 consistently. Reason pc gamers run at such high res is because graphics have barely evolved in the last 5 years.

Okay, think whatever you want to think, but I get over 100fps in BF3 at my settings which are for the most part on max. It really isn't that difficult.

First you say max setting then you say maxed for the most part. Hmm...Every benchmark shows neither the 7970 or gtx 680 averaging anywhere close to 100 fps at 1080p.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#559 Cranler

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] That looks way better than the pre ds fix screens posted here. theSADmafioso

Nope. My screen was taking 720p upscaled through my GPU not monitor (Cramer) but showing what happens with that resolution when it has to cover a surface bigger than say 720p TV 3 meters away. I took that precious screen and ran it in fullscreen on my montitor so challanged people can understand the concept. Crude and not accurate but gets the basic point across of what happens. The bump into 1080p is getting more and more important by the day because 32 inch TVs are thing of the past and I personally will buy a new TV at 50-55 inches and 1080p resolution. Now imagine how that tiny image will look if streched through that real estate?

17378561.png

Why are we still talking about what is possibly the worst looking console game of the gen? I decided to take a look at Demons Souls which I hadnt played in a long time on ps 3 today and the graphics are simply atrocious, God of War collection which is the ps2 games at 720p look better. Have you seen Halo 4 or God of War 3 on a big screen tv? They look great. Gpu and monitor scaling both suck and they really dont need to be good since most people use native res most of the time while 1080p tv owner rarely use 1080p content for the most part. 1080p tv's have to have good scaling otherwise very few people would want one.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#560 Cranler

From experimenting with different resolutions and detail levels in this thread.....

With 1080p/Low vs 720p/High, it's a crap shoot. Some games like Alan Wake still looked better at 1080p/Low. But, then, I was playing Hard Reset earlier. I think I prefer Hard Reset at 720p/High than 1080p/Low. I like the shiny stuff in Hard Reset and the shine is gone when using Low detail.

jun_aka_pekto
I'm waiting for Alan Wake to go on sale for $5 but I would imagine there isnt a huge difference in the graphics settings which seems to be the case for most multiplats.
theSADmafioso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#561 theSADmafioso
Member since 2008 • 482 Posts

Why are we still talking about what is possibly the worst looking console game of the gen? I decided to take a look at Demons Souls which I hadnt played in a long time on ps 3 today and the graphics are simply atrocious, God of War collection which is the ps2 games at 720p look better. Have you seen Halo 4 or God of War 3 on a big screen tv? They look great.

Cranler

We're not here to discuss graphics king but how resolution works. Dark Souls works because we can isolate resolution pretty well since the whole game with assets and everything has been designed for the console 720p and it still looks alot better with a res boost.

The reason we're not talking about Halo or God of War is simple, we have no reference to what it would look like with a resolution increase. I think you'd be blown away by Halo 4 if we could double the amount of pixels being rendered. Now I don't want to appear anti-console since I still play console games and some of them still look amazing despite resolution but I don't still want to run a 720p resolution when the next gen comes and I have a flat screen above 50 inches. I know that would look far blurrier than my 32 inch TV running the same resolution.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#562 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

Why are we still talking about what is possibly the worst looking console game of the gen? I decided to take a look at Demons Souls which I hadnt played in a long time on ps 3 today and the graphics are simply atrocious, God of War collection which is the ps2 games at 720p look better. Have you seen Halo 4 or God of War 3 on a big screen tv? They look great.

theSADmafioso

We're not here to discuss graphics king but how resolution works. Dark Souls works because we can isolate resolution pretty well since the whole game with assets and everything has been designed for the console 720p and it still looks alot better with a res boost.

The reason we're not talking about Halo or God of War is simple, we have no reference to what it would look like with a resolution increase. I think you'd be blown away by Halo 4 if we could double the amount of pixels being rendered. Now I don't want to appear anti-console since I still play console games and some of them still look amazing despite resolution but I don't still want to run a 720p resolution when the next gen comes and I have a flat screen above 50 inches. I know that would look far blurrier than my 32 inch TV running the same resolution.

You were speaking as if every console game looked as blurry as Dark Souls which isnt the case. I have a feeling devs will find a balance between effects and res like they did this gen and well see many games with res in between 720p and 1080p.
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#563 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

Cranler

I'm waiting for Alan Wake to go on sale for $5 but I would imagine there isnt a huge difference in the graphics settings which seems to be the case for most multiplats.

• Resolution - mix of 960x544, and some things like fog particles were rendered in half resolution that are rendered in full on PC.
  • Antialiasing and FXAA - We had 4xAA on Xbox. FXAA was added to American Nightmare.
  • Anisotropic Filtering - trilinear filtered AF off
  • Shadow Quality - somewhere around the medium setting.
  • SSAO Quality - Xbox360 build had lowest settings.
  • Backdrop Quality - Xbox360 Alan Wake used Medium.
  • GodRay Quality - Xbox360 build had this turned to off except for some specific scenes where we had the performance to turn it on and had most visual impact. The quality was less than "High".
  • Volumetric Light Quality - Xbox used the "Low" setting.
  • Draw Distance - Xbox build had this at Full.
  • LOD Distance - Xbox build had this around the middle mark.
  • FOV - Middle / default is the one Xbox360 version used too.

If you set the above settings on the pcversionessentially you will get the same graphicslike he xboxversion.

personally I play Alan Wake with 2560x1440, 60fps, and MAX settings,and i can tell you that the xbox version literally look like a vomit.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#564 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] The difference here is much greater. The Crysis 2 pics were exactly the same detail settings just at different res. Are you saying that console Cod's have the same graphics setting as pc and the only difference here is resolution? Again, this is not what the thread is about. Would you like to talk about high res/low settings vs low res/high settings?Cranler

Well my point and what most people here is, resolution does matter... just like any other graphic setting you can find out there. So it's all about compromise, either it be resolution or other things. Forget CGI graphics, the hardware is not that yet.

Resolution can play a small or big role, it depends on source and the output.

I never said res didnt matter, just that its not everything and Cod 4 proves a game can look better at lower res. Never said cgi graphics were possible. i was using that to make a point. Sheesh, like talking to wall with you

A wall, you just said you agreed with the OP, so seriously whos the wall ?

Just the fact that you can't and won't talk about why we should use 720p in the first place makes you look like you lost the argument, but yet you keep saying games look better in 600p then in 720p and it's your perfect example.

Also resolution and other graphical effect are all part of the same package... they all enhance the graphics so saying one is more important then the other, prove it.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#565 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

1080p low settings often looks better than 720p high settings because there aren't enough pixels to actually display the details like higher res textures.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#566 arto1223

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] Another person who doesnt understand my point or doesnt read whats being replied to. I call bs on you getting over 100fps in BF 3. Even with sli gtx 680's you would wouldnt be able to stay above 100 consistently. Reason pc gamers run at such high res is because graphics have barely evolved in the last 5 years.Cranler

First you say max setting then you say maxed for the most part. Hmm...Every benchmark shows neither the 7970 or gtx 680 averaging anywhere close to 100 fps at 1080p.

Well, I already said earlier in that one post that I have certain settings always turned off despite how high my frame-rate would be with them on. Things like HBAO and SSAO will always be off for me, V-Sync is always off, shadows is always off, bloom is always off, and others. Again, it might not have to do with the performance, but because those things make the game look worse in my opinion (like bloom) or can be distracting/make it harder for me to see people in shooters (like shadows). When did I ever say that my system was limited to a single GPU?

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#567 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I always wondered how clean games would look if they worked to keep effects to a minimum and utilize styles that allowed for high resolution display. Seeing SSBB rendered at 1080p shows a lot of detail missing at 480p and makes it look a lot more impressive still using the same assets.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#568 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

MK-Professor

• Resolution - mix of 960x544, and some things like fog particles were rendered in half resolution that are rendered in full on PC.
  • Antialiasing and FXAA - We had 4xAA on Xbox. FXAA was added to American Nightmare.
  • GodRay Quality - Xbox360 build had this turned to off except for some specific scenes where we had the performance to turn it on and had most visual impact. The quality was less than "High".

If you set the above settings on the pcversionessentially you will get the same graphicslike he xboxversion.

personally I play Alan Wake with 2560x1440, 60fps, and MAX settings,and i can tell you that the xbox version literally look like a vomit.

Was the Xbox version really running draw distance on max?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#570 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

MK-Professor

Jun posted pics of the pc version on low settings and it didnt look much different.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#571 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Well my point and what most people here is, resolution does matter... just like any other graphic setting you can find out there. So it's all about compromise, either it be resolution or other things. Forget CGI graphics, the hardware is not that yet.

Resolution can play a small or big role, it depends on source and the output.

Bebi_vegeta

I never said res didnt matter, just that its not everything and Cod 4 proves a game can look better at lower res. Never said cgi graphics were possible. i was using that to make a point. Sheesh, like talking to wall with you

Just the fact that you can't and won't talk about why we should use 720p in the first place makes you look like you lost the argument, but yet you keep saying games look better in 600p then in 720p and it's your perfect example.

Also resolution and other graphical effect are all part of the same package... they all enhance the graphics so saying one is more important then the other, prove it.

The op said CLOSER to cgi. Using 1080p could cause other aspects of the graphics to be sacrificed. I said this earlier in the thread, but since you didnt even read the op properly I'm not surprised you missed it or didnt understand what you were reading. sheesh again lol
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#572 Cranler

I always wondered how clean games would look if they worked to keep effects to a minimum and utilize styles that allowed for high resolution display. Seeing SSBB rendered at 1080p shows a lot of detail missing at 480p and makes it look a lot more impressive still using the same assets.

ActicEdge
Worked to keep effects at a minimum? There is no work in that. Increasing res is the only shorcut to better graphics. Any style of graphics look better at higher res.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#573 Cranler

1080p low settings often looks better than 720p high settings because there aren't enough pixels to actually display the details like higher res textures.

kraken2109
That could also be because the differences between low and high in many games these days is very small.
zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#575 zeta
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts
I love Loosey threads.. it's a mix of the unaware who humor him with educated replies... then there are the ones who know of Loosey's notoriety of making rather dumb trolling thread (because, people aren't THAT dumb... right? lol). This is always entertaining
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#576 MK-Professor

Was the Xbox version really running draw distance on max?

RyviusARC

yes, why not? as you can see the 2 most demanding settings SSAO and Volumetric are on lowest settings.

zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#577 zeta
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts
And for the record, this isn't the first time Loosey defended 720p or used a random, outlandish number such as "10,000,000." Remember TW2? lolz Anyway, stick with the REAL subject, please:
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#578 Cranler

arto1223

Well, I already said earlier in that one post that I have certain settings always turned off despite how high my frame-rate would be with them on. Things like HBAO and SSAO will always be off for me, V-Sync is always off, shadows is always off, bloom is always off, and others. Again, it might not have to do with the performance, but because those things make the game look worse in my opinion (like bloom) or can be distracting/make it harder for me to see people in shooters (like shadows). When did I ever say that my system was limited to a single GPU?

So fist yoiu said maxed the you say for the most part and now you turf off all the good stuff that makes the game look realistic. Remember when I said that even with 680 sli you cant always stay below 100? On this page you replied to me where I said that, sheesh lol http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29342445/is-1080p-really-needed-in-games-?page=55
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#579 MK-Professor

Did you even read what I was responding to? jun was talking about the difference between high and low settings on the pc version. Put my response in that context and you'll realise what I meant which is pc low settings probably dont look all that different from pc high settings. This has become a common occurence mainly with multiplats, Crysis 2 is a great example where low settings dont look much worse than max. Used to be low settings would look awful. Do you understand me now? Gotta paint a picture for some peeps who cant take 10 sec's to read whats being replied to.

Cranler

low settings look the same like max settings to you?:?:lol:

cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#580 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts
Lmao Oh loosy.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#581 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"]Did you even read what I was responding to? jun was talking about the difference between high and low settings on the pc version. Put my response in that context and you'll realise what I meant which is pc low settings probably dont look all that different from pc high settings. This has become a common occurence mainly with multiplats, Crysis 2 is a great example where low settings dont look much worse than max. Used to be low settings would look awful. Do you understand me now? Gotta paint a picture for some peeps who cant take 10 sec's to read whats being replied to.

MK-Professor

This may look like a big difference to you but I've been pc gaming for a long time, I remember when low setting looked like an entirely different game. Check the pics in this link, it proves what an extreme exaggerator you are http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29342445/is-1080p-really-needed-in-games-?page=50

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#582 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
[QUOTE="cfstar"]Lmao Oh loosy.

He doesn't even have to try anymore.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#583 RyviusARC

The op said CLOSER to cgi. Using 1080p could cause other aspects of the graphics to be sacrificed. I said this earlier in the thread, but since you didnt even read the op properly I'm not surprised you missed it or didnt understand what you were reading. sheesh again lolCranler

The problem is that without higher resolutions you won't attain that CGI look.

Actual CGI is rendered differently than games.

The only other alternative I can see if you want to play at lower resolutions is to have something like 4xSGSSAA and that is very demanding.

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#584 MK-Professor

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"]Did you even read what I was responding to? jun was talking about the difference between high and low settings on the pc version. Put my response in that context and you'll realise what I meant which is pc low settings probably dont look all that different from pc high settings. This has become a common occurence mainly with multiplats, Crysis 2 is a great example where low settings dont look much worse than max. Used to be low settings would look awful. Do you understand me now? Gotta paint a picture for some peeps who cant take 10 sec's to read whats being replied to.

Cranler

This may look like a big difference to you but I've been pc gaming for a long time, I remember when low setting looked like an entirely different game. Check the pics in this link, it proves what an extreme exaggerator you are http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29342445/is-1080p-really-needed-in-games-?page=50

your link opens to an empty GS page, post again

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#585 RyviusARC

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

MK-Professor

I think he is separating pages by every 10 posts when on defualt it is every 20 posts.

So try looking at page 25 of this thread.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#586 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"]

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

MK-Professor

Works fine for me with MS IE. I test all links I post. See how the link says page 50?....
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#587 Cranler

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"]This may look like a big difference to you but I've been pc gaming for a long time, I remember when low setting looked like an entirely different game. Check the pics in this link, it proves what an extreme exaggerator you are http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29342445/is-1080p-really-needed-in-games-?page=50

RyviusARC

I think he is separating pages by every 10 posts when on defualt it is every 20 posts.

I'm thinking next gen console games might be best suited to res's in between 720p and 1080p. Like many current gen games are in between 720p and 480p. Lower the res are for console gamers the better it is for pc gamers. Means more effects. Who knows, the latest Cod's could still look as bad as Cod 2 if IW hadnt dropped res on console to add hdr and better shadows.
MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#588 MK-Professor

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"]This may look like a big difference to you but I've been pc gaming for a long time, I remember when low setting looked like an entirely different game. Check the pics in this link, it proves what an extreme exaggerator you are http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29342445/is-1080p-really-needed-in-games-?page=50

Cranler

Works fine for me with MS IE. I test all links I post. See how the link says page 50?....

and to me say page 20(as last page), anyway

so you implying that the AW on low settings look similar to max settings?

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#589 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

So I am guessing this thread was just early damage control from Loosey?

I don't feel like reading through all of this.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#590 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] I never said res didnt matter, just that its not everything and Cod 4 proves a game can look better at lower res. Never said cgi graphics were possible. i was using that to make a point. Sheesh, like talking to wall with you

Cranler

The op said CLOSER to cgi. Using 1080p could cause other aspects of the graphics to be sacrificed. I said this earlier in the thread, but since you didnt even read the op properly I'm not surprised you missed it or didnt understand what you were reading. sheesh again lol

Yes and using other aspects in graphics could cause losing resolution details of advancement in graphics.

But you're becoming a real joke by not answering why we need 720p in the first place. Just admit it, you don't know.

arto1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#591 arto1223

[QUOTE="arto1223"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] First you say max setting then you say maxed for the most part. Hmm...Every benchmark shows neither the 7970 or gtx 680 averaging anywhere close to 100 fps at 1080p. Cranler

So fist yoiu said maxed the you say for the most part and now you turf off all the good stuff that makes the game look realistic. Remember when I said that even with 680 sli you cant always stay below 100? On this page you replied to me where I said that, sheesh lol http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29342445/is-1080p-really-needed-in-games-?page=55

Bloom and V-Sync don't do squat to make it look realistic. Bloom makes things glow unrealistically, V-Sync adds nothing to the graphics and only adds in a delay to mouse aiming, HBSO/SSAO deal with shadows so it's pointless to have on if I remove shadows, and I remove shadows as it makes character's silhouette stand out more. Again, nothing to do with perfomance.

You said, "7970 or gtx 680" and never mentioned SLI, 2, two, couple, many, multiple, or anything of that sort. I have it quoted in an un-edited post earlier if you want to check.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#592 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

This thing still on? LOL.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#593 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

[QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

[QUOTE="MK-Professor"]

Cranler

I'm thinking next gen console games might be best suited to res's in between 720p and 1080p. Like many current gen games are in between 720p and 480p. Lower the res are for console gamers the better it is for pc gamers. Means more effects. Who knows, the latest Cod's could still look as bad as Cod 2 if IW hadnt dropped res on console to add hdr and better shadows.

Well in between 720p and 1080p you still have the standard resolutions HD(1366x768) and HD+(1600x900). Or they could use weird custom ones like many games this gen.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#594 mitu123

faizan_faizan
Well it's quite a read indeed.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#595 Cranler

arto1223

Read what youre replying to once more, maybe it will sink in this time.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#596 Cranler

arto1223

Bloom and V-Sync don't do squat to make it look realistic. Bloom makes things glow unrealistically, V-Sync adds nothing to the graphics and only adds in a delay to mouse aiming, HBSO/SSAO deal with shadows so it's pointless to have on if I remove shadows, and I remove shadows as it makes character's silhouette stand out more. Again, nothing to do with perfomance.

You said, "7970 or gtx 680" and never mentioned SLI, 2, two, couple, many, multiple, or anything of that sort. I have it quoted in an un-edited post earlier if you want to check.

Why would you think I meant vsync when I said all the good stuff? Then again tearing isnt realistic now is it? Shadows are one of the biggest factors in adding realism to graphics, not sure why you have trouble seeing people with shadows enabled. You know why many people wear sunglasses? Because sunny days are freakin bright!
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#597 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="RyviusARC"]

glez13

Well in between 720p and 1080p you still have the standard resolutions HD(1366x768) and HD+(1600x900). Or they could use weird custom ones like many games this gen.

I dont want watered down pc ports because the devs had to sacrifice a ton of effects to get the game running at 1080p.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#598 mitu123

arto1223

Use Triple Buffering to make up for it.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#599 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"]

mitu123
Well it's quite a read indeed.

I thought the discussion ended, Well our new OP is still holding the thread i see.
Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#600 Bebi_vegeta

[QUOTE="glez13"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] I'm thinking next gen console games might be best suited to res's in between 720p and 1080p. Like many current gen games are in between 720p and 480p. Lower the res are for console gamers the better it is for pc gamers. Means more effects. Who knows, the latest Cod's could still look as bad as Cod 2 if IW hadnt dropped res on console to add hdr and better shadows.Cranler

I dont want watered down pc ports because the devs had to sacrifice a ton of effects to get the game running at 1080p.

No you rather have CGI like graphics @ 480.