Is 1080p really needed in games ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]

zl5e94.jpg2lthb86.jpg

savagetwinkie

Your pictures are not identical, one is far smaller than the other and the second picture is being squeezed also. For a comparison you need two shots 1080p size with the 720p shot upscaled to 1080p so they are the same size. That's how it works, try again.

Thats stupid, than your not comparing a 720p image vs 1080p image, then your capming a rendered 1080p image with a modified image. the second is being squeezed by game spot but you can easily view the direct web page, I just posted the images but I don't think gamespot really has the capabilities for setting up a proper compare. i

Well to be fair, you didn't post any 1080p shoots.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#202 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

After I am done compressing a video I can do a 1080P vs 720P comparison with Assassins Creed 3.

The best way to see the difference is to take both screenshots and make them into a gif file that switches back and forth.

Higher resolutions will make a bigger difference when the scene being renedered has lots of fine details.

If the game is not that detailed then the difference won't be as large.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="iamrob7"]

Your pictures are not identical, one is far smaller than the other and the second picture is being squeezed also. For a comparison you need two shots 1080p size with the 720p shot upscaled to 1080p so they are the same size. That's how it works, try again.

faizan_faizan
Thats stupid, than your not comparing a 720p image vs 1080p image, then your capming a rendered 1080p image with a modified image. the second is being squeezed by game spot but you can easily view the direct web page, I just posted the images but I don't think gamespot really has the capabilities for setting up a proper compare. i

A 1080P TV will always upscale 720P, The person who posted the Hitman Pics above has done the same and pretty good job.

An upscaled image is a modified image and is isn't a proper comparison if you trying to see how much detail is lost with 720p, upscaling it is completly invalidates the comparison. upscaled images can get smeared and appear to lose extra details depending on the TV, so again its a bad way to compare the image
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="iamrob7"]

Bebi_vegeta

Well to be fair, you didn't post any 1080p shoots.

the second picture is 1080 pc, just the forum down scaled it so you have to look at the link its posted to.

Edit: i just noticed tiny pic downsacled it also ;(

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 RyviusARC

An upscaled image is a modified image and is isn't a proper comparison if you trying to see how much detail is lost with 720p, upscaling it is completly invalidates the comparison. upscaled images can get smeared and appear to lose extra details depending on the TV, so again its a bad way to compare the imagesavagetwinkie

If you use photoshop it has a proper upscaling algorithm that will match the best of the best in what a TV can do with upscaling.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] Thats stupid, than your not comparing a 720p image vs 1080p image, then your capming a rendered 1080p image with a modified image. the second is being squeezed by game spot but you can easily view the direct web page, I just posted the images but I don't think gamespot really has the capabilities for setting up a proper compare. i

A 1080P TV will always upscale 720P, The person who posted the Hitman Pics above has done the same and pretty good job.

An upscaled image is a modified image and is isn't a proper comparison if you trying to see how much detail is lost with 720p, upscaling it is completly invalidates the comparison. upscaled images can get smeared and appear to lose extra details depending on the TV, so again its a bad way to compare the image

You mean the imagery (720p) a 1080p TV shows is actually modified?
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] An upscaled image is a modified image and is isn't a proper comparison if you trying to see how much detail is lost with 720p, upscaling it is completly invalidates the comparison. upscaled images can get smeared and appear to lose extra details depending on the TV, so again its a bad way to compare the imageRyviusARC

If you use photoshop it has a proper upscaling algorithm that will match the best of the best in what a TV can do with upscaling.

and its still wrong if you want to see the change in detail in the two different resolutions. Your processing the image and guessing what colors the missing pixels are supposed to be its going to
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"] A 1080P TV will always upscale 720P, The person who posted the Hitman Pics above has done the same and pretty good job.

yes, its run through algorithms to guess the missing pixels when up scaling the image. A 1080p TV has 1920x1080 pixels on it, the 720p sets have 1280x720 pixels.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Hell no, try playing an n64 or gamecube game in 1080p. MMM good.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="Ben-Buja"]

Probably using Sweet FX as well. Still proves the point that going 1080P makes a big difference, even when the graphics basically stay the same. Hell, even Gamecube games look pretty good at 1080P.

775ffc045175eecf0b530afbd4f8dcd01149e1c1

42603-the-legend-of-zelda-the-wind-waker

Bebi_vegeta

No way is that bottom pic 720p. This isnt about a straight comparison of 720p vs 1080p. Its about using all the power at you disposal on fixed hardware, 720p could have better lighting, shadows draw distance etc than the same game on the same hardware at 1080p/

Then why is 720p even considered the mininal... since you gave your example of COD4 being 600p and looking superior to COD2 720p ?

The thread is about 720p vs 1080p.
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#211 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

has any one taken a a PC game and taken a 720p picture then just turn it up to 1080p. So far I've seen a 480i image compared with 1080p image on an emulator, probably with extra settings A possible 720p picture that has washed out colors compared to a 1080p with better color, and what looks like heavier AFsavagetwinkie

Here's a Crysis 2 image. One was captured at 720p, opened with Paintshop Pro, and previewed fullscreen at 1080p. Then I made another screen capture of the preview at 1080p. The second image is 1080p native:

To view full-size of each, Right-Click, View Image.

crysis2sample720pupscal.jpg

crysis2samplenative1080.jpg

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

[QUOTE="faizan_faizan"][QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] An upscaled image is a modified image and is isn't a proper comparison if you trying to see how much detail is lost with 720p, upscaling it is completly invalidates the comparison. upscaled images can get smeared and appear to lose extra details depending on the TV, so again its a bad way to compare the imagesavagetwinkie

yes, its run through algorithms to guess the missing pixels when up scaling the image. A 1080p TV has 1920x1080 pixels on it, the 720p sets have 1280x720 pixels.

That's half the point we're all trying to make, 1080p tvs are all there is going to be pretty soon, and as was pointed out, photoshop upscaling is going to match the best upscaling that the expensive sets have.

In other words all next gen console games are going to look like a smeary mess if they stick with 720p native unless you go ebay shopping for an old set.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]has any one taken a a PC game and taken a 720p picture then just turn it up to 1080p. So far I've seen a 480i image compared with 1080p image on an emulator, probably with extra settings A possible 720p picture that has washed out colors compared to a 1080p with better color, and what looks like heavier AFjun_aka_pekto

Here's a Crysis 2 image. One was captured at 720p, opened with Paintshop Pro, and previewed fullscreen at 1080p. Then I made another screen capture of the preview at 1080p. The second image is 1080p native:

I posted two skyrim pics already, though I meant to say compare it to 720p, the upscaling process smears the image.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Cranler

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]has any one taken a a PC game and taken a 720p picture then just turn it up to 1080p. So far I've seen a 480i image compared with 1080p image on an emulator, probably with extra settings A possible 720p picture that has washed out colors compared to a 1080p with better color, and what looks like heavier AFjun_aka_pekto

This is a proper representation of the differeence between 720p and 1080p than that ridiculous Dark Souls gif or that kiddy game. Big question here is would a consolite rather have the 60fps at 720p or 30 at 1080p? Or 720p, 30fps and use that extra performance to improve the lighting, shadows, particle fx, tesselation etc?
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 topgunmv

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]has any one taken a a PC game and taken a 720p picture then just turn it up to 1080p. So far I've seen a 480i image compared with 1080p image on an emulator, probably with extra settings A possible 720p picture that has washed out colors compared to a 1080p with better color, and what looks like heavier AFCranler

This is a proper representation of the differeence between 720p and 1080p than that ridiculous Dark Souls gif or that kiddy game. Big question here is would a consolite rather have the 60fps at 720p or 30 at 1080p? Or 720p, 30fps and use that extra performance to improve the lighting, shadows, particle fx, tesselation etc?

Crysis 2 is a bad game to use as the default antialiasing already makes it blurry as hell.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"] You mean the imagery (720p) a 1080p TV shows is actually modified?topgunmv

That's half the point we're all trying to make, 1080p tvs are all there is going to be pretty soon, and as was pointed out, photoshop upscaling is going to match the best upscaling that the expensive sets have.

In other words all next gen console games are going to look like a smeary mess if they stick with 720p native unless you go ebay shopping for an old set.

pihotoshop doesn't have a single way to do this, they have a few resampling options, there are TV's with "game mode" to be more sloppy to keep the latency down. Though I think the TV's processors have gotten much better, I havn't shopped for a tv in over 5 years so I'm not sure what resampling option TV's come with now adays.
DumbOldDarrell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 DumbOldDarrell
Member since 2013 • 125 Posts

I don't really care. Doesn't really matter to me what resolution my games are playing at. I don't even know what resolution my Wii, PS3 and 360 are at.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 Cranler

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"][QUOTE="faizan_faizan"] You mean the imagery (720p) a 1080p TV shows is actually modified?topgunmv

It doesnt work that way. TV's upscale very well. 720p content will look identical on a 720p or 1080p set. May even look better on a 1080p since they are usually higher end anyways. You do realize that all broadcast tv programs and most streaming in the US is at 720p right?
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

topgunmv

Crysis 2 is a bad game to use as the default antialiasing already makes it blurry as hell.

Its all relative though. A blurry game at 1080p will have even more blurriness at 720p and a sharp game will be a little less sharp at 720p.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 savagetwinkie
[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] This is a proper representation of the differeence between 720p and 1080p than that ridiculous Dark Souls gif or that kiddy game. Big question here is would a consolite rather have the 60fps at 720p or 30 at 1080p? Or 720p, 30fps and use that extra performance to improve the lighting, shadows, particle fx, tesselation etc?Cranler

Its all relative though. A blurry game at 1080p will have even more blurriness at 720p and a sharp game will be a little less sharp at 720p.

This is why comparing an upscaled image is bad, there are too many unknowns in the upscaling and what kind of tv you have and how much processing it will do to. Or consider something like the 360 that comes with its own hardware upscaler and then outputs a 1080p image and wouldn't rely on the TV to upscale it.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] yes, its run through algorithms to guess the missing pixels when up scaling the image. A 1080p TV has 1920x1080 pixels on it, the 720p sets have 1280x720 pixels.Cranler

It doesnt work that way. TV's upscale very well. 720p content will look identical on a 720p or 1080p set. May even look better on a 1080p since they are usually higher end anyways. You do realize that all broadcast tv programs and most streaming in the US is at 720p right?

Incorrect, some channels are 1080i, unless you're referring to over air broadcast in which case I have no idea.

On the 5 or 6 1080p sets that I've played console games on ranging from big to small, cheap to expensive, none have looked as good as a native 720p set, they've all had the signature blurring effect (I suppose some people might consider that an increase in quality though, similar to a post process AA filter).

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#222 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] yes, its run through algorithms to guess the missing pixels when up scaling the image. A 1080p TV has 1920x1080 pixels on it, the 720p sets have 1280x720 pixels.Cranler

OK so now you're just lying. How do you propose the TV scalar can reproduce the missing information? Magic? Upscaling algorythmsbcan only do so much, therefore, no, a 720p image will NOT look "identical" to a 1080p one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#223 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It's great to have, but ultimately not necessary.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#224 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

It's great to have, but ultimately not necessary.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="topgunmv"]

Kinthalis

OK so now you're just lying. How do you propose the TV scalar can reproduce the missing information? Magic? Upscaling algorythmsbcan only do so much, therefore, no, a 720p image will NOT look "identical" to a 1080p one.

WTH???? Nice reading comprehension. Maybe reread it a few times, including what I was replying too as well. Nowhere did I say that 720p content looks as good as 1080p content. Although I still say a console game in 720p with as many graphical bells and whistles possible at 30fps would beat a 1080p game on the same hardware since 1080 means sacrificing other aspects of the graphics.
RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 RyviusARC

and its still wrong if you want to see the change in detail in the two different resolutions. Your processing the image and guessing what colors the missing pixels are supposed to be its going to savagetwinkie

It's the best way it can be done though.

And the algorithm will be the best.

You might find an equal on TV but nothing will be more accurate.

Showing one image in 720P then another in 1080P won't do well enough.

The only other option is to set your monitor to match the resolution of each but that still doesn't beat upscaling it in photoshop then putting both images in some gif format to switch between them.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts
2560x1440 should be the standard. I have been gaming at that resolution for a while now. Microsoft probable wont go that far but I'm sure Sony will go all out.
Cali3350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Cali3350
Member since 2003 • 16134 Posts

Tho bottom pic is noticeably more crisp.
NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11792 Posts

What about all the 4k TVs in production?

Avatar image for fernandmondego_
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 fernandmondego_
Member since 2005 • 3170 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] yes, its run through algorithms to guess the missing pixels when up scaling the image. A 1080p TV has 1920x1080 pixels on it, the 720p sets have 1280x720 pixels.NoodleFighter

4K? I want 8K damn it.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 savagetwinkie

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]and its still wrong if you want to see the change in detail in the two different resolutions. Your processing the image and guessing what colors the missing pixels are supposed to be its going to RyviusARC

It's the best way it can be done though.

And the algorithm will be the best.

You might find an equal on TV but nothing will be more accurate.

Showing one image in 720P then another in 1080P won't do well enough.

The only other option is to set your monitor to match the resolution of each but that still doesn't beat upscaling it in photoshop then putting both images in some gif format to switch between them.

so which type of resampling are you using to sharpen the image? How do you know its the same as a TV? Or you just resizing the image which is essentially the same as MS paint you can't compare the detail on the images properly after you've processed one of them. It would actually be easier to just focus on some intricate details in a game, and take a shot at 720p and 1080p, then jsut cut the focused sections out. And put them side by side or in a gif.
Exxite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Exxite
Member since 2009 • 171 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"]has any one taken a a PC game and taken a 720p picture then just turn it up to 1080p. So far I've seen a 480i image compared with 1080p image on an emulator, probably with extra settings A possible 720p picture that has washed out colors compared to a 1080p with better color, and what looks like heavier AFCali3350

Tho bottom pic is noticeably more crisp.

Yes indeed. Just like when you take a small image and increase the resolution it gets grainy, pixelized, etc... The only way to avoid this is to have source image match the display resolution then it fits pixel:pixel. No little chip inside my tv or game console with less processing power than my 4 year old blackberry then won't have to decide, "hmmmm how do I make this 1280x720 image fit into a space of 1920x1080."

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="savagetwinkie"] yes, its run through algorithms to guess the missing pixels when up scaling the image. A 1080p TV has 1920x1080 pixels on it, the 720p sets have 1280x720 pixels.NoodleFighter

I think people are idiots for buying them unless they plan on hooking it up to a computer.

scottahuch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 scottahuch
Member since 2003 • 1580 Posts

Pft 720p is too fancy, I mean do we really need anything better than a res of 1x1 to play games?

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Cranler

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

I think people are idiots for buying them unless they plan on hooking it up to a computer.

Even then its a waste if you prefer 60fps gaming. Even crossfired 7970's wont be get 60+ on all games.
fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 fernandmondego_

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

Why not? They are about to start getting a ton of content for it soon.
Exxite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Exxite

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

Cranler

Even then its a waste if you prefer 60fps gaming. Even crossfired 7970's wont be get 60+ on all games.

You'd only be right if you meant eyefinity or nvidia surround. These cards are crazy http://hardocp.com/article/2012/12/04/gtx_680_vs_radeon_hd_7970_multidisplay_showdown/1 . That setup with a single monitor at 1920x1200 would probably be solid 60fps if not more on every single game they ran. If not using resolutions like 5760x1200.

topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 topgunmv

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

fernandmondego_

They are? Like what?

Bebi_vegeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Bebi_vegeta
Member since 2003 • 13558 Posts

[QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

[QUOTE="Cranler"] No way is that bottom pic 720p. This isnt about a straight comparison of 720p vs 1080p. Its about using all the power at you disposal on fixed hardware, 720p could have better lighting, shadows draw distance etc than the same game on the same hardware at 1080p/Cranler

Then why is 720p even considered the mininal... since you gave your example of COD4 being 600p and looking superior to COD2 720p ?

Hey you're the one who mentionned 600p...

fernandmondego_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 fernandmondego_

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

They are? Like what?

Well, all Hollywood movies are already filmed in 4K, they just haven't been released at the resolution. Sony just said they intend to release their movie in 4K starting this summer.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Cranler

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="Bebi_vegeta"]

Bebi_vegeta

Hey you're the one who mentionned 600p...

Because its a relevant analogy. Comparing 480i to 1080p is just plain stupid.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#242 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

Cranler

Your goofy This simple animation shows the difference

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Is it final that the next-gen consoles will have games only at 720p? I would think some of the more "shallow" games (eg Bulletstorm-type games) will be able to run at 1080p smoothly enough (not necessarily at 60 fps).

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Cranler

04dcarraher

Your goofy This simple animation shows the difference

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Youre stupid. More reading comprehension fails lol. I say 4k is a waste because 60 fps is unattainable and you link a framerate comparison site.
Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Cranler

Is it final that the next-gen consoles will have games only at 720p? I would think some of the more "shallow" games (eg Bulletstorm-type games) will be able to run at 1080p smoothly enough (not necessarily at 60 fps).

jun_aka_pekto
NMothing has been said either way afaik. Carmack did say he expects most console games to remain at 30fps which is good for pc gaming. 720p/30fps console standard would be best for the pc gaming community.
Exxite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Exxite

jun_aka_pekto

I hope at the start they aim for 1920x1080@60fps minimum. If it dips below 60fps occasionally that's not big deal. I'd rather late into next console gen developers have to start dialing some effects down to get more of another effect in or vice versa. The technology exists to do it right now. So it would be nice to at least start off not much behind the pc.

Look at these frame rates guys http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/508?vs=555 . In batman arkham city at 1920x1200 at extreme quality and 4xaa both cards are over 90fps average. Cheaper cards aren't much slower.

For the consoles to settle for less would just suck. I like my ps3 and will probably get a ps4 so I'm hoping for great looking games with minimal upscaling.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"][QUOTE="topgunmv"]

topgunmv

They are? Like what?

Isn't there 4k blu ray in the works?

Exxite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Exxite

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

[QUOTE="fernandmondego_"]Why not? They are about to start getting a ton of content for it soon.NoodleFighter

They are? Like what?

Bluray is just the disc media. You can put whatever type of video you want on a bluray. Now for it to play on a blurray player it needs to be using codecs that the player understands, but as long as the codec allows for the resolution of 4k and the decoder inside the bluray player can decode it fast enough sure why not.

The only other issue is the size the video must actually fit on the disc. I dunno how much a 4k resolution video in h.264@ 3 hours takes up for size. My guess would be 50gb or so just randomly throwing that out there.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 Cranler

topgunmv

Incorrect, some channels are 1080i, unless you're referring to over air broadcast in which case I have no idea.

On the 5 or 6 1080p sets that I've played console games on ranging from big to small, cheap to expensive, none have looked as good as a native 720p set, they've all had the signature blurring effect (I suppose some people might consider that an increase in quality though, similar to a post process AA filter).

Most of the broadcast content I watch is 720p. I have 2 1080p tv's and a 720p and 720p content looks just as good on the 1080p sets. The smeary mess you speak of is probably the blur filter most console games have to cover up the jaggies.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 NoodleFighter

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="topgunmv"]

They are? Like what?

Exxite

Bluray is just the disc media. You can put whatever type of video you want on a bluray. Now for it to play on a blurray player it needs to be using codecs that the player understands, but as long as the codec allows for the resolution of 4k and the decoder inside the bluray player can decode it fast enough sure why not.

The only other issue is the size the video must actually fit on the disc. I dunno how much a 4k resolution video in h.264@ 3 hours takes up for size. My guess would be 50gb or so just randomly throwing that out there.

Well what I actually meant was that 4k versions of movies for Blu ray are in the works and some are coming out this year like the Amazing Spiderman, The Other Guys, Total Recall, Battle: Los Angeles