Irrational Games shutting down

• 140 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#101 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

@jg4xchamp said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Your wallet literally had nothing to do with this. That is such a pointless rebuttal.

Yeah it does.... If he releases a shoddy product I don't have to buy it.

Which has nothing to do with the current topic -_-

Which had something to do with what with what Texasgoldrush said about eventually it leading to a shoddy product.

Also what someone from IGN said. I'm on board with.

To all the immature people calling Ken Levine an asshole for "firing" employees, probably have no clue how business works. You think every time a person hires employees he has to keep them for the rest of his life just to look like a good guy? There's a difference between "laying off" and "firing". Laying off can occur when a company has to downsize itself. Ken wants to make different projects with a smaller team. Should he be called an asshole just because he wants to do something different with his life? The employer doesn't have care at all after laying them off yet Ken said that he will be financially supporting them. "Our first concern is to make sure that the people who are leaving have as much support as we can give them during this transition.". An employer who lays off employees doesn't have to bother about how they get their future job yet Ken is already contacting people to hire them. "We’ll be hosting a recruiting day where we’ll be giving 3rd party studios and publishers a chance to hold interviews with departing Irrational staff." and "If you’re a 3rd party interested in interviewing some of the best game developers in the world, please *email Id*." . Stop acting as if you know what's going on and calling him an asshole just to look like you're comforting the people who got the can.

Logical failure in his post.

This isn't a layoff. A layoff implies there is a possibility that they can return to their job. That is out the window when he is closing the studio. GG

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102  Edited By R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46252 Posts

@Animal-Mother said:

But levine works for a bigger company. We'll never know the truth. But it happens in the games industry all the time. You bulk up on staff and shed off a lot of weight after development is done. Maybe 2K didn't want to foot the bills for irrational anymore? Maybe Ken levine really wants to work on smaller stuff and doesn't see it as viable to keep that much staff on. Maybe 2K wants levine to work on different stuff. There could be a handful of reasons.

Very true. It's all speculation. But interesting to talk about non the less.

Like when you finish a Bioshock game XD

@lostrib said:

I guess we will wait and see. Personally, I don't put stock in a single person making a game great

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see. But I went from interested to whatever Irrational would do next to kind of skeptical to what Ken Levine will do next.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#103  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I half expected a party. Don't you guys love to see anything non-generic get destroyed?
Maybe that would have required them to have made a Nintendo exclusive game.
Oh well, maybe next time.

Sad to see them go. They had a very good run and made a lot of fans. Excited to see what the smaller team can do. If you want to make the best game ever, it doesn't require a 100 mil marketing/100 man team.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Animal-Mother said:

But levine works for a bigger company. We'll never know the truth. But it happens in the games industry all the time. You bulk up on staff and shed off a lot of weight after development is done. Maybe 2K didn't want to foot the bills for irrational anymore? Maybe Ken levine really wants to work on smaller stuff and doesn't see it as viable to keep that much staff on. Maybe 2K wants levine to work on different stuff. There could be a handful of reasons.

Very true. It's all speculation. But interesting to talk about non the less.

Like when you finish a Bioshock game XD

@lostrib said:

I guess we will wait and see. Personally, I don't put stock in a single person making a game great

Yeah, we'll have to wait and see. But I went from interested to whatever Irrational would do next to kind of skeptical to what Ken Levine will do next.

To add to the skepticism, some person from Double Fine (and formerly from Irrational) basically said he's an ass and awful to work for.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 jg4xchamp

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/let-s-talk-about-irrational-games-closing/2300-8521/

Enjoyable listen between Patrick and Alex on the irrational stuff.

Disclaimer: And no it has nothing to do with them agreeing with me. matter of fact they kind of don't agree with my stance. What i enjoyed about it is they tackle almost all the questions surrounding Irrational closing down. Something that you can't expect the gamespot staff to do...ever.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#107 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/let-s-talk-about-irrational-games-closing/2300-8521/

Disclaimer: And no it has nothing to do with them agreeing with me. matter of fact they kind of don't agree with my stance. What i enjoyed about it is they tackle almost all the questions surrounding Irrational closing down. Something that you can't expect the gamespot staff to do...ever.

Klepick has got style. Wearin the same shirt I'm wearin

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 jg4xchamp

@Animal-Mother said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Well this and his depression quest article further cements that Klepick has atrocious taste.

At least Alex is there ;p

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Well this and his depression quest article further cements that Klepick has atrocious taste.

At least Alex is there ;p

Giant bomb is fucking awesome. All caught up on the casts. Sooooooooooooooooo good.

Shielder7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#110  Edited By Shielder7
Member since 2006 • 5191 Posts

I really don't get this why get rid off all that talent when you could just take those 15 people make the game you want and have the other guys work on something else?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#111  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:
@Wasdie said:

Out of the blue but not as surprising as you think. We all know Bioshock Infinite went through absolute dev hell and had a lot of issues with people leaving. I feel like the studio's internal structure wasn't all that sound.

A lot of devs have moved to smaller studios. CliffyB, Molyneux, and Miyamoto are all working with smaller, more focused studios. Tech today has advanced to a point where small studios can do AAA level games as long as they pay a pretty penny for the tech.

Weren't the problems about the subject of religion that BI touched upon ?

I'm pretty sure it's more because the leaders are arrogant douchebags. He could have left the company in better hands and created a new one instead of dissolving what he had.

Their approach to this has douchebag written all over it.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#112 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

I believe there's something much more than this "Ken Levine is an arrogant douchebag". Irrational most likely entered very dangerous waters with Infinite production and spent way, way more than they could get back via sales. They failed to make a profit, and that's probably it.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#113 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

So so upsetting. A BioShock game, even if it's considered(which is now highly unlikely) to be no longer helmed by Levine is devastating. 2Kmarin did a fine job on BioShock 2 not sure if 2K in general will be up for the task.

One of my fav franchises now becoming vaporware along with Zone of The Enders 3 and Starwars: 1313. I'm starting to really dislike next gen :(

And I don't care I just want more BioShock games, especially a next gen one, urgh. End of an era.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

=(

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

I though Infinite was a serious letdown compared to the first. Not totally surprised.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

This is why Giantbomb are awesome

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By jg4xchamp

@seanmcloughlin said:

@jg4xchamp said:

It's unfair how much better than everyone else they are.

You would think a site that was created by the human being who hates Yoshi's Island, Majora's Mask, and Resident Evil 4 would be awful. But it's the exact opposite of those things.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Infinite was trash anyway. Now Levine can go back to making something good again like Bioshock 1.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I bet they were pretty irrational about it.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Out of the blue but not as surprising as you think. We all know Bioshock Infinite went through absolute dev hell and had a lot of issues with people leaving. I feel like the studio's internal structure wasn't all that sound.

A lot of devs have moved to smaller studios. CliffyB, Molyneux, and Miyamoto are all working with smaller, more focused studios. Tech today has advanced to a point where small studios can do AAA level games as long as they pay a pretty penny for the tech.

Ah, that would explain why Infinite sucked so much. At least for me anyway. Felt way way too linear. The only character that was decent was Elizabeth, but even she was average at best. Story for the most part wasn't anything exciting. Although I will give it credit for that twist ending. I did like the ending. Game's atmosphere sucked too. Everyone was like "omgz the skies yo so cool". I just wasn't seeing what was so cool about it. Plasmids/Powers sucked. Upgrades for weapons/powers were really lame. Enemy variety I thought was lacking big time.

Hope now with this recent event happening, Levine can go back to making something I like.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1

@jg4xchamp said:

You would think a site that was created by the human being who hates Yoshi's Island, Majora's Mask, and Resident Evil 4 would be awful. But it's the exact opposite of those things.

They're the best because first off they know what they're talking about and don't bullshit it but they do it in such a "shoot the shit" manner that is' incredibly easy to listen to. It actually sounds like these people's thoughts and not some paid shills or robots. Not all sites are paid out mind but they have that same drone sound to everything regardless.

Giantbomb is like listening to friends talk about games and gaming related topics. Plus they're funny as ****. Still a shame they're a man down

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-59b71619573a1

@Rage010101 said:

Infinite was trash anyway. Now Levine can go back to making something good again like Bioshock 1.

A lot of Infinite's shortcomings were because it's a victim of it's own ambition. It tried to do too much and couldn't capitalise on parts of it.

I loved the game and would rate it highly but I can definitely see the flaws in it

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Surprising news.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts
@Gaming-Planet said:

I bet they were pretty irrational about it.

lolasaurus rex

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#126 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Meh didn't like any of their games so not a big lost to me. Sucks for the people who lost their jobs, hopefully they end up in a better company

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Just as well. All they would do is make bioshock after bioshock game. Better they throw in the towel before they completely ruin what little good they have done.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#130 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I'm actually indifferent to Irrational Closing. It sucks for all the people who just lost their job though.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

Hermits pirated too many copies of Bioshock Infinite.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@StrongBlackVine said:

have you played bioshock infinite?

that game should've been free,

it was fucking awful.

Avatar image for endlessinfinity
EndlessInfinity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By EndlessInfinity
Member since 2013 • 231 Posts

@StrongBlackVine:

I guess the sales for the ps3 and xbox360 weren't good enough. Maybe its because it was pirated on console before it was launched so people knew it wasn't a good game.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

@endlessinfinity said:

@StrongBlackVine:

I guess the sales for the ps3 and xbox360 weren't good enough

that's because it sucks balls,

word of mouth doesn't have to be loud to be heard,

**** bioshock infinite killed season passes it was so awful.

it even changed my perception of pre-order.

never again.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

@killatwill15 said:

@StrongBlackVine said:

have you played bioshock infinite?

that game should've been free,

it was fucking awful.

Actually I did play it and bought it Day 1. It was a big disappointment, but it wasn't awful. I sold it a long time ago, but I might try it again since I got it on PS Plus last month. I didn't make my top 5 games of 2013 though and it is extremely overrated by critics.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@Speak_Low Finally, you're the first person to point out 2k Marin is no longer be. @jg4xchamp I also hate Resident Evil 4 with passion and find it most overrated game of all time; does that make me a bad person?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Their premium service is easily one of the best things I've ever spent money on. So many videos, so many lulz

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#138  Edited By MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@Speak_Low Finally, you're the first person to point out 2k Marin is no longer be. @jg4xchamp I also hate Resident Evil 4 with passion and find it most overrated game of all time; does that make me a bad person?

No,that makes you a sensible person if you were a RE fan from the beggining and know that the sucess of RE4(and the lack of it on Remake)is what changed the direction of the series and ended up becoming the turd it now is.

Though to be fair the game is good.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@MrYaotubo said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

No,that makes you a sensible person if you were a RE fan from the beggining and know that the sucess of RE4(and the lack of it on Remake)is what changed the direction of the series and ended up becoming the turd it now is.

Yeah, the game is good, I rated it 7/10 back in the day and that's how I'd rate it now. But that's about it. By now it's horribly dated in every single respect, though. And yeah, I've been the fan of RE since July 28, 1998 (that's when I got PS1 and Resident Evil 2 with it). Needless to say, the REmake on GameCube is my favourite RE game of all time. :)

By the way, to all System Shock fans out there, a tribute of sorts for old times sake:

Loading Video...

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#140 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@MrYaotubo said:

@Salt_The_Fries said:

I was a fan from the start and RE4 is the best RE there is. Just because they started going after the cod crowd after it does not make it bad. To say it is the reason it is what it is now is not a "sensible" thing to say. RE was never an amazing series. It has always had big issues. RE4 did away with a lot of them.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#141 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts

Zero Escape 3 practically cancelled, and now Irrational goes down.

Despite some very powerful releases coming in March, already the gaming industry has suffered terrible losses so early into 2014.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 jg4xchamp

@millerlight89 said:

I was a fan from the start and RE4 is the best RE there is. Just because they started going after the cod crowd after it does not make it bad. To say it is the reason it is what it is now is not a "sensible" thing to say. RE was never an amazing series. It has always had big issues. RE4 did away with a lot of them.

Bingo

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#143 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

Never cared for their games, but it's always bad to hear such news.

CyberLips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 1

#144 CyberLips
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

That's really sad, i love Bioshock and as much as i hope that they'll continue the series i know that they probably won't.