iPad or a Samsung Galaxy Tablet?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

Probably a stupid question, but which one is better? My dad is looking to buy one of the two, and I've convinced him to hold back on buying an iPad straight away (lol Apple) so, what's your opinion?

Cheers.

#2 Posted by TxTech1923 (607 posts) -
I know it's popular to hate Apple on the internet, but honestly if it's for your dad, I'd say go with the iPad. It's easy to use, easy to get things done, and really easy for older people to figure out. It's also easy to travel with if he's on the go a lot, and has some pretty great keyboard cases if you need to type on it quite a bit. Can't go wrong with the Samsung either, but iPad's are easy for older generations to figure out lol.
#3 Posted by CallOfDutyRulez (1616 posts) -

Is your dad tech-illiterate?

If so, get him an iPad. He'll fit right in with other tech-ignoramuses who think they're knowledgeable for owning the latest Apple toys.

#4 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
[QUOTE="TxTech1923"]I know it's popular to hate Apple on the internet, but honestly if it's for your dad, I'd say go with the iPad. It's easy to use, easy to get things done, and really easy for older people to figure out. It's also easy to travel with if he's on the go a lot, and has some pretty great keyboard cases if you need to type on it quite a bit. Can't go wrong with the Samsung either, but iPad's are easy for older generations to figure out lol.

Well, my dad is pretty tech savvy; he's almost 60 but he knows his stuff when it comes to computers, so that's not an issue. :)
#5 Posted by heeweesRus (5609 posts) -
iPad, so he can watch BB on a stunning retina display.
#6 Posted by Sweenix (5395 posts) -

sega game gear

#7 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

Is your dad tech-illiterate?

If so, get him an iPad. He'll fit right in with other tech-ignoramuses who think they're knowledgeable for owning the latest Apple toys.

CallOfDutyRulez
No, he's not. Like I said, he knows his stuff. He's an engineer/architect, and he uses computers all the time, so I guess he'd know :P
#8 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -
It depends on what your dad will use it for and what he wants from it. If he wants a simplistic experience that anyone can use get him an iPad but if he wants to have the freedom to do whatever he wants on his device get a android tablet.
#9 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26098 posts) -

Definitely the Galaxy. Android > iOs all day err day.

#10 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -
It depends on what your dad will use it for and what he wants from it. If he wants a simplistic experience that anyone can use get him an iPad but if he wants to have the freedom to do whatever he wants on his device get a android tablet.redskins26rocs
Yeah. One of the complaints he has with his iPhone is that it restricts you in almost every way. He hates that. So do I.
#11 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26098 posts) -

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]It depends on what your dad will use it for and what he wants from it. If he wants a simplistic experience that anyone can use get him an iPad but if he wants to have the freedom to do whatever he wants on his device get a android tablet.ShadowsDemon
Yeah. One of the complaints he has with his iPhone is that it restricts you in almost every way. He hates that. So do I.

So the best option would be to get the Samsung tablet, and return it if you can and get the iPad or a more powerful tablet.

#12 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

Techspot.

#13 Posted by Blabadon (25599 posts) -
As someone who uses his Android tablet as the only way to post on GameSpot, go with an iPad. Sure, I have a relatively shiity Android tablet, but there's nothing on any other tablet I would recommend over an iPad. Phones is a different story.
#14 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

Nexus tablet or Ipad. Screw samsung galaxy tab.

#15 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]It depends on what your dad will use it for and what he wants from it. If he wants a simplistic experience that anyone can use get him an iPad but if he wants to have the freedom to do whatever he wants on his device get a android tablet.ShadowsDemon

Then I highly recommend android. I dont see why you would buy a tablet thats only selling point is iOS which you dont seem to be to happy with. I would recommend a nexus 10. It has a 2560x 1600 res screen and it is only $400, I think if I would buy a tablet that is what I would get

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_10_16gb

I would also recommend the nexus 7 or galaxy note 8.0

#16 Posted by Heil68 (43147 posts) -
I love my Ipad2 and use it every day. I wont buy another laptop because of it.
#17 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -
Asus Transformer is an amazing tablet. I highly recommend it.
#18 Posted by TwistedShade (3137 posts) -

Nexus 7, definitely not the Galaxy tab.

#19 Posted by tormentos (16720 posts) -

[QUOTE="TxTech1923"]I know it's popular to hate Apple on the internet, but honestly if it's for your dad, I'd say go with the iPad. It's easy to use, easy to get things done, and really easy for older people to figure out. It's also easy to travel with if he's on the go a lot, and has some pretty great keyboard cases if you need to type on it quite a bit. Can't go wrong with the Samsung either, but iPad's are easy for older generations to figure out lol.ShadowsDemon
Well, my dad is pretty tech savvy; he's almost 60 but he knows his stuff when it comes to computers, so that's not an issue. :)

Anything Android would do,and he would thank you for giving him freedom.

#20 Posted by scoots9 (3191 posts) -

Google Nexus 10. Samsung Touchwiz (which the Galaxy Tab has) is pretty bad compared to stock android (which the Nexus has)-- I run stock on my formerly touchwiz'd Galaxy S III.

#21 Posted by hexashadow13 (5157 posts) -
Samsung stuff isn't that good. Especially their tablets. I have no idea why it sells so well. Get a Nexus instead. Or rather wait for a Google I/O which is in like 3 days where they will probably announce the next line of Nexus tablets, and thus the older ones will be cheaper, and you'll have the option of getting new better ones. If that isn't an option and you have to get a Galaxy, you better Cyanogen it.
#22 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

Nexus 7, definitely not the Galaxy tab.

TwistedShade

Google Nexus 10. Samsung Touchwiz (which the Galaxy Tab has) is pretty bad compared to stock android (which the Nexus has)-- I run stock on my formerly touchwiz'd Galaxy S III.

scoots9

Go with the Nexus 7 or 10. IMO

#23 Posted by mems_1224 (46137 posts) -
iPad. My brother has an Android tablet and it sucks
#24 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5973 posts) -
Tablets are garbage, but I'd get the ipad if I had too.
#25 Posted by HAZE-Unit (10465 posts) -

iPad is the best tablet available to this day.

Smooth polished to the max and battery efficient, the battery for the ipad lasts longer than any Android tablet with the same size and resolution.

If your father already owns an iPhone, the iPad works seamlessly with his apple account for moving his stuff ( apps, files, videos.....etc ) from the iPhone to the iPad is way easier and also would be up-to-date with his social and worldwide feeds/news when switching from a device to the other.

If he reads lots of books, iPad has the better app too!

#26 Posted by zeroyaoi (1875 posts) -
Ipad is the best choice out there.
#27 Posted by roulettethedog (10942 posts) -

Android is a better tablet OS.

#28 Posted by tagyhag (15867 posts) -
Your dad says he hates restriction so don't get him the iPad. Apple and restriction go hand in hand.
#29 Posted by CallOfDutyRulez (1616 posts) -

Nexus 7. Best tablet.

#30 Posted by Cow_tipping (602 posts) -

nexus 10 and ipad are the best tablets

ipad is simple easy to use but you dont get much freedom to custimize

android tables have lots of freedom to custimize but since its such an open system there way to many versions of android tablets its hard to optimize apps for it which means some apps wont work on all tablets and other apps will only work good on some tablets

#31 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9325 posts) -
Go for the Android, so much easier to transfer data to and from the device. Putting videos on those things is so easy.
#32 Posted by Basinboy (10970 posts) -

iPad

#33 Posted by princeofshapeir (13628 posts) -
Get him a laptop instead of some piece of crap that is a halfway house between a smart phone and a computer.
#34 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
iPad, more games. iPad + android phone + PC = best combo.
#35 Posted by rjdofu (9170 posts) -
Your dad says he hates restriction so don't get him the iPad. Apple and restriction go hand in hand.tagyhag
Not if you jailbreak.
#36 Posted by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

Lol Apple.

Just get the Samsung Galaxy.

#37 Posted by R3FURBISHED (10169 posts) -
Nexus 7
#38 Posted by danjammer69 (4105 posts) -

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.

I love the thing and use it daily for all sorts of things. One of my favorite features is the built in IR -Blaster with Peel app. It turns the tab into a full function remote control. I use it more than my regular TV/Cable remote because it has a built in Guide and is so easy to use and setup.

BUT, when it comes to raw power (versus the Galaxy), I would go for the Ipad. And that is coming from someone that hates Apple with a passion.

The 7 inch, like I have, is great for daily use and is good at gaming. But the Ipad will easily best in in almost all benchmarks. Plus, it is very user friendly.

The Galaxy Tab 2 10 inch is a different story. That is a very capable device and holds it's own against the Ipad.

But for the price, I would honestly consider the Nexus tablets. They have amazing screens and the price is comparable to the Galaxy lineup. They come in both a 7 inch (ASUS) and a 10 inch (Samsung).

Only drawbacks I can see with the Ipad is the price of course, lack of removable storage (Galaxy has it, Nexus don't), and lack of customization. Plus, unless jailbroken it is very restrictive. Android just makes everything so easy, especially when it comes to transferring media.

If I could do it all over again, i would go for a Nexus tablet.

#39 Posted by razgriz_101 (16871 posts) -
Tablets are garbage, but I'd get the ipad if I had too.YoshiYogurt
tablets are fantastic for consuming information which really is their sole purpose, mines gets slightly more usage than my laptop nowadays.But as productive devices they lag behind but i personally think will catch up in the next decade. i own a Galaxy tab and love mines, its pretty easy to use and figure out even my parents who are complete numpties when it comes to tech even managed to get it setup and hooked to the Wi-fi easily.For older folks i think tablets are personally much more geared and easier for non tech people to understand.
#40 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -
For your father? How computer literate is he? Honestly the iPad is an excellent tablet and extremely intuitive, and the best entry point or computer for someone who just want's to do what it can do. Otherwise it boils down to what software catches his or your eye, and what eco-system you prefer. Your Dad said he doesn't like restrictions? Well is he going to use the Android's capabilities? If so, and all of the above go for a Droid tablet Personally if I'd be on the fence, just don't buy a Windows 8 tablet.
#41 Posted by adamosmaki (9427 posts) -

A nexus 10 . Not only way to cheaper than the overpriced ipad but has probably the best screen i've seen on a mobile device and great specs ( even though its dual core the exynos 5250 with mali 604 are still beast ). On top of that since its on the nexus line its gonna get all google updates in time

#42 Posted by Heirren (16177 posts) -
It really depends on the use. iPads update too often IMO. They're great for browsing and ease of use, but after the fact--a few years down--you can still do a lot with an android because of its more open nature. I own an iPad 3, and apps are already being catered to the faster processor of the iPad4. It's sort of aggravating.
#43 Posted by APiranhaAteMyVa (2858 posts) -
I would choose iPad, do restrictions even matter at the moment on tablets? They don't do a whole lot anyway outside of the apps. Unless you want to root them to play emulators and other stuff that usually run like crap anyway. iPad has the most apps, is decent tech and is well made.
#44 Posted by clyde46 (43918 posts) -
Loving the Android shills in this thread.
#45 Posted by Blabadon (25599 posts) -
[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]I would choose iPad, do restrictions even matter at the moment on tablets? They don't do a whole lot anyway outside of the apps. Unless you want to root them to play emulators and other stuff that usually run like crap anyway. iPad has the most apps, is decent tech and is well made.

This is another great summary of what I think, and what I wonder.
#46 Posted by faizan_faizan (7811 posts) -
Loving the Apple shills in this thread. clyde46
#47 Posted by kraken2109 (12963 posts) -

Nexus 10 for 10"

Nexus 7 for 7"

iPad for your 90 year old grandma who can't use tech.

#48 Posted by zeroyaoi (1875 posts) -

Nexus 10 for 10"

Nexus 7 for 7"

iPad for your 90 year old grandma who can't use tech.

kraken2109
Not close to being accurate, but whatever it takes to fight the rotten apple..
#49 Posted by xboxiphoneps3 (2267 posts) -

[QUOTE="ShadowsDemon"][QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]It depends on what your dad will use it for and what he wants from it. If he wants a simplistic experience that anyone can use get him an iPad but if he wants to have the freedom to do whatever he wants on his device get a android tablet.redskins26rocs

Then I highly recommend android. I dont see why you would buy a tablet thats only selling point is iOS which you dont seem to be to happy with. I would recommend a nexus 10. It has a 2560x 1600 res screen and it is only $400, I think if I would buy a tablet that is what I would get

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_10_16gb

I would also recommend the nexus 7 or galaxy note 8.0

one problem with Android tablets today is that there is still alot of unoptimized apps for the tablets, so basically the apps are just blown up on the screen, there isnt too many native apps yet
#50 Posted by redskins26rocs (2674 posts) -
[QUOTE="APiranhaAteMyVa"]I would choose iPad, do restrictions even matter at the moment on tablets? They don't do a whole lot anyway outside of the apps. Unless you want to root them to play emulators and other stuff that usually run like crap anyway. iPad has the most apps, is decent tech and is well made.

Android does not need a root for an emulator and all nintendo based roms before ds run perfectly fine, even on a droid 1 from like 4 years ago can run a gba/snes emulator at 8x the normal speed with zero problems, so you cleary do not know what you are talking about, so why do you mention it.