IOS/ Android gaming- Getting close to serious gaming?

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

I found San Andreas, a shockingly awesome version of Dead Space, Modern Combat 4, Max Payne 1 to be quite playable on ipad. 8-bit and 16-bit classics were always there but it wont be long we find a scaled down version of Far Cry making it's way into the phones.

Also more yesteryear blockbusters are making their way into IOS/Android platforms (Baldurs Gate anyone?)

Now how many of you guys are into gaming on your cellphones? And how seriously do you take it?

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

Meh, so rarely am I in the position to game on my phone/tablet that its not really worthwhile to me. Tried Football manager on the ipad and it was AWFUL but I hear that XCOM and BG did a decent job. Realistically mobile gaming just isn't powerful yet to interest me as a serious platform beyond a killer for a few minutes here and there.

And most of the time i cannot stand the control schemes.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

I really enjoyed the Rayman games as well as some puzzle games so there's definitely some potential, but to be 100% honest the best thing (IMO) mobile has going for it is emulating PS1/N64 games. Being able to play SotN, then switch over to some OoT or Mario 64 is just awesome. I use a PS3 controller when I do that.

sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

Meh, so rarely am I in the position to game on my phone/tablet that its not really worthwhile to me. Tried Football manager on the ipad and it was AWFUL but I hear that XCOM and BG did a decent job. Realistically mobile gaming just isn't powerful yet to interest me as a serious platform beyond a killer for a few minutes here and there.

And most of the time i cannot stand the control schemes.

Controls and power are definitely what hold it back. I don't think most serious gamers wouldn't consider gaming on a mobile device other than handhelds.

Plus, mobile gaming is more for the "flavor of the week" type of experience i.e. Angry Birds, Temple Run and Candy Crush.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

has it got a bit better, sure i guess. But will it reach PC or Console level gaming anytime soon? HELL NO.

SakusEnvoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SakusEnvoy
Member since 2009 • 4764 Posts

Gaming is pretty good on an iPad Mini Retina. Very high resolution, lots of screen real estate, weighs as much as a 3DS XL but is more powerful than a Vita. Obviously, the lack of physical controls is the biggest downpoint. Nonetheless, games are cheap, digital, plentiful and some are actually good (the vast majority aren't).

Overall, it's a fun on-the-go diversion. Which is pretty much what handheld games are supposed to be to me - when it comes time to serious gaming, I prefer to sit down with my PC or home console. While I'm glad the 3DS still exists and provides compelling experiences on handhelds, if handhelds were to disappear I could adapt to a world where on the go gaming is done on my iPad or smartphone.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

nah i'm just not into that. i'd rather read ebooks on my phone, and do all my gaming on 'something proper'.

hope that doesn't sound too elitist.

CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts

The only game I really like to play on my phone and tablet is Minecraft.. everything else is just mediocre.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

No. It used to, but for the last two years it;s been getting worse and worse. F2P completely took over and even for premium games it became extremely hard to convince people to pay more than 99 cents

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

No, the inconsistency between different phones/tablets, the control scheme, and the huge amount shovelware still hurt the platform greatly. It still not worth the risk for a lot of developers to make quality content for mobile platforms when crap will do just as well.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Here are some of the launch titles for NVIDIA's Shield Tablet:

These games have been optimized for Tegra K1 and make use of OpenGL 4.x.

Other games coming at launch or at a later date include:

• Serious Sam 3
  • Pure Chess
  • Rochard
  • Anomaly 2
  • Flyhunter: Origins
  • Dungeon Defenders Eternity
  • Chuck's Challenge 3D: Reloaded

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By NVIDIATI

@SakusEnvoy said:

Gaming is pretty good on an iPad Mini Retina. Very high resolution, lots of screen real estate, weighs as much as a 3DS XL but is more powerful than a Vita. Obviously, the lack of physical controls is the biggest downpoint.

Tablet controllers, such as Gamevice, will be launching before the end of the year:

f50p90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By f50p90
Member since 2008 • 3767 Posts

I'm not into mobile gaming but it's already more serious then handheld gaming.. Most people here don't want to admit it, though

Serioussamik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serioussamik
Member since 2010 • 773 Posts

So most amongst us seem to be using it for casual to light gaming it seems. But point is phones are getting powerful by the day. And it is not like a Vita or a 3DS which maintains same hardware for 4-5 years. Phones are hardware upgraded within less than a year. (Reminds me of PC vs console scenario, LOL)

But yeah lack of physical controllers is gripe (thanks for the input @NVIDIATI , seems a cool idea to Vita-fy the iphone).

So true that F2P sucks @AdrianWerner!! BIG TIME!! (Once I remember playing a Brother in Arms F2P title on my i-pad, out of nowhere and they asked me to buy bullets/grenades, when i ran out of them after barely starting to play. At that rate i would spend more in that title than i would spend on an upcoming PS4 title, should i even consider finishing BIA on I-pad!!)

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

There have been "serious" games available on mobile devices for years. If a gamer is willing to put in the effort, there are many titles across genres every bit as deep and challenging as titles on more traditional platforms.

However, that's not the focus of mobile gaming, and mobile really isn't moving in that direction. As the number of mobile titles continues to explode, the number of full titles will rise as well. But it's still going to be a minor part of the market.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#16 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

There's some legit srs games on the platforms already. It's just discoverability with Google Play and the Appstore is really awful.

bulby_g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bulby_g
Member since 2005 • 1861 Posts

I just don't find many games that I'd want to play. They aren't on the level exclusive wise with my 3DS and for any other portable gaming I'd use my laptop.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

No, not even close.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 AdrianWerner

@farrell2k said:

Not only is mobile gaming serious, but some mobile developers make more money in a year than console and pc developers will see in a decade.

Sure, if you compare the biggest mobile devs with small console and PC ones.

Minishdriveby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Minishdriveby
Member since 2006 • 10519 Posts

I've had a really really great time playing on my phone this year. In fact I think an iOS/Android game might just break my top 10 for 2014. If I had played Ridiculous Fishing in 2013 it surely would have booted off one of the games from the top 10 last year.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#22 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

LOL mobile gaming

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

Serious enough to be destroying the vita, & 3ds.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Until it stops being flooded with fee to pay crap, no. It's not taking itself seriously and neither will I.

Zelda187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25  Edited By Zelda187
Member since 2005 • 1047 Posts

@f50p90 said:

I'm not into mobile gaming but it's already more serious then handheld gaming.. Most people here don't want to admit it, though

I don't consider playing Angry Birds, Candy Crush or Words with Friends on your phone or iPad to be "serious" gaming.

faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

LOL mobile gaming

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17810 Posts

no...nothing there of worth really and the hardware is not suited to the types of games being made for them. they have plenty of horsepower (the top of the range phones today make the 3DS and vita look like decrepid old tat horespower wise).

the shield is interesting but too big as a handheld and too small for a tablet. a proper gaming phone (not something like the ngage) would also be very nice to have but would be a hard sell with the current slate design being the standard.

LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

You'll always have a second grade gaming experience. Bad controls, bad games. You could get these peripherals to get a controller like experience, I'd say have fun playing SNES and PS1 games.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

IOS has been going down hill for awhile now. Nearly everything is free to play. I don't know a single person that even bothers looking at what is available now. As for android I don't know. I am thinking about getting the Nvidia Tablet but I've read that there are lag issues that are inherent to the android os?

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By NVIDIATI

@Heirren said:

I am thinking about getting the Nvidia Tablet but I've read that there are lag issues that are inherent to the android os?

That's likely referring to Android's Dalvik runtime, something that's being replaced in Android L (next major Android version coming this fall). NVIDIA will update the Shield tablet to Android L when the code becomes available. The new runtime is called ART and the pre-release version has already shown a reasonable performance increase on the Nexus 5.

In many points, Google has delivered its “Performance boosting thing” and addressed much of the shortcomings that have plagued Android for years.

ART patches up many of the Achilles’ heels that comes with running non-native applications and having an automatic memory management system. As a developer, I couldn’t have asked for more, and most performance issues that I needed to work around with clever programming no longer pose such a drastic problem anymore.

This also means that Android is finally able to compete with iOS in terms of application fluidity and performance, a big win for the consumer.

Google still promises to evolve ART in the future and its current state is definitely not what it was 6 months ago, and definitely not what it will be once the L release is made available in its final form in devices. The future looks bright and I can’t wait to see what Google will do with its new runtime.

Credit Andrei Frumusanu - Anandtech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@NVIDIATI: @NVIDIATI:

Thanks for posting that. The Shield Tablet is what I think Vita should have been. I'm very close to sold on it for reasons we cannot discuss really. What are your thoughts on it? You are more tech savvy than myself it seems.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

As long as developers on the platform keep choosing to design games around a revenue stream instead of solid game mechanics, mobile can go **** itself.

It is truly in a horrible, horrible place.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By NVIDIATI

@Heirren said:

Thanks for posting that. The Shield Tablet is what I think Vita should have been. I'm very close to sold on it for reasons we cannot discuss really. What are your thoughts on it? You are more tech savvy than myself it seems.

If you're not going to use the GameStream feature, and you're set on the 8" form factor, I would hold off for a Windows tablet using Intel's 14 nm Cherry Trail (replacing Bay Trail in Q4 of 2014). You can do a lot more with full x86 Windows than you can with Android. A Windows / Cherry Trail device should also do a better job at "that".

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46201 Posts

@Serioussamik said:

quite playable

I don't think we should settle for "quite playable".

Especially when we have so many controllers and keyboard and mice that work perfectly for so many games.

Why would I play SA on a less accurate and comfortable touch screen when I can play it with a controller and keyboard and mouse ?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

@NVIDIATI said:

@Heirren said:

If you're not going to use the GameStream feature, and you're set on the 8" form factor, I would hold off for a Windows tablet using Intel's 14 nm Cherry Trail (replacing Bay Trail in Q4 of 2014). You can do a lot more with full x86 Windows than you can with Android. A Windows / Cherry Trail device should also do a better job at "that".

interesting. So why do you think nvidia went with android?

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AdrianWerner

@Heirren said:

@NVIDIATI said:

@Heirren said:

interesting. So why do you think nvidia went with android?

Because it's cheap. Mobile is still terribly underpowered, but the hardware is dirty cheap, especially gaming hardware.

Shield tablet is like 300 bucks. A similiar gaming-centric Razer Edge PC tablet is 700

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

Been playing XCOM on my phone that I purchased for 100USD without contract a while back. (LG Optimus G LS970)

The game is great and runs fine maxed out.

I wouldn't compare a phone to a console or PC but it can have some nice games.

Plus emulation is always there.

There are plenty of games to keep me busy but I find myself drawn more to the simplistic games like Smash Hit since I don't really have long gaming sessions on my phone that often.