Interesting tech perspective on utilising the ps3s strengths

This topic is locked from further discussion.

en3sge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 en3sge
Member since 2007 • 321 Posts

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-blur-tech-interview

There have been millions of threads comparing ps3 and xbox 360 so Im not going to go into feveris detail.

But the above article really lifted my spirits as an avid ps3 owner. This 10-year lifecycle is really starting to pay off for the ps3. Although admittidly Sony probably didnt go down the best technical path coupling a multi-thread revolutionary cpu with a dead-end off-the-shelf geforce 7800 (I heard this was a last minute decision when they realised using the cell as cpu and gpu would be too costly and difficult), developers have really learned the work around the limitations and some ingenious solutions are being found.

Take for example Blur's lighting model and GoW III's MLAA and lighting system. Early on in the PS3's life, developers really had no idea how to implement such things. Or if they did, there were budget and time constraints stopping them from experimenting with them. Hence, low quality ports like Splinter Cell and Call of Duty 3.

But as developers learn more and more, almost all games are going to benefit from this experience and know-how.

For sure, both xbox 360 and ps3 have strengths and weaknesses, but at least the PS3 weaknesses are being circumvented so we should see much better platform parity in future multi-platform games.

I own both consoles and for the past few years if I have ever had the opportunity to buy a game on either machine, I would go for the xbox 360 version as usually there would be some technical issues on the ps3 (usually frame rate , resolution or AA). Nowadays I feel a lot more confident making impulsive ps3 purchases. It is truly getting rarer and rarer that we see shoddy cross-platform ports. Of course, there will always be the odd Bayonetta to make me a liar, but generally now most games are technically pretty even.

Just thought I would share that with you all. Im feeling positive!

67gt500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 67gt500
Member since 2003 • 4627 Posts
I'm not convinced... to this very day, PS3 versions of multiplatform games still come up short compared to their xbox360 counterparts... the quality is improving, but clearly PS3 is the weaker machine...
en3sge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 en3sge
I'm not convinced... to this very day, PS3 versions of multiplatform games still come up short compared to their xbox360 counterparts... the quality is improving, but clearly PS3 is the weaker machine...67gt500
Well, you have to admit, the gap has closed considerably. Before we were talking of massive resolution cust and frame rate dives but now its slightly less AA and a muddier texture here and there. If all developers start using this MLAA technique that the xbox 360 is pretty much incapable of, that will help even things up further. I do expect within a year all cross platform projects that are not cheap and rushed should be equal. The AA might be a little bit hit and miss if the developers dont use the MLAA, but in all other respects, it should be even.
Whiteknight19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Whiteknight19
Member since 2003 • 1303 Posts

I'm not convinced... to this very day, PS3 versions of multiplatform games still come up short compared to their xbox360 counterparts... the quality is improving, but clearly PS3 is the weaker machine...67gt500
1st of all ps3 aint a weaker machine exclusives says it all there has been so many exclusives on the on the 360 that hasnt come close to any ps3 game maybe mass effect so it clearly shows that the ps3 had abit more power then the 360. The reason multiplats are better cos the 360 is no different to a pc which is easy to develop 4

hyperjayson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 hyperjayson
Member since 2008 • 427 Posts

[QUOTE="67gt500"]I'm not convinced... to this very day, PS3 versions of multiplatform games still come up short compared to their xbox360 counterparts... the quality is improving, but clearly PS3 is the weaker machine...Whiteknight19

1st of all ps3 aint a weaker machine exclusives says it all there has been so many exclusives on the on the 360 that hasnt come close to any ps3 game maybe mass effect so it clearly shows that the ps3 had abit more power then the 360. The reason multiplats are better cos the 360 is no different to a pc which is easy to develop 4

yes, multiplats seems to be developed for the 360 and later ported to the ps3, it would explain why mulitplats are genrally inferior if your looking at the ps3 version, likewise, if multiplats are developed for the ps3 the 360 would get the inferior ones

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
meh, I most multiplats will still probably play better on the 360 when compared to the PS3. IMO the PS3 is only worth it for the exclusives
-The-G-Man-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -The-G-Man-
Member since 2007 • 6414 Posts
we all know the PS3 isn't going to get huge support from Sony for ten years. they'd have us believe they were still supporting the PS2 when the PS3 came out. keeping the stale bread in the refrigerator doesn't mean you're eating it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
meh, I most multiplats will still probably play better on the 360 when compared to the PS3. IMO the PS3 is only worth it for the exclusivesohthemanatee
Really? You think multiplats are really that bad on the PS3 that they aren't worth playing? People really over exaggerate this exclusive superiority thing, the 360 does generally have the better exclusives but most of the differences are minor, the kind of things only noticeable when the games are played side by side and who does that? You tend to get about 2-4 games a year where the 360 version is really noticeably better, but what's four games out of a library of hundreds?
ArcFatalix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ArcFatalix
Member since 2010 • 135 Posts
No, both have different architecture, if you utilize ps3 strengths like FFxiii it will end up 3 discs 540p on the xbox, most games fill up just 7 gb on the blu ray guess why? 360 is the lead platform the lowest denominator hence the ps3 suffers still most ports nowadays are really good. PS3 exclusives > multiplatforms > 360 exclusives
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]meh, I most multiplats will still probably play better on the 360 when compared to the PS3. IMO the PS3 is only worth it for the exclusiveshoosier7
Really? You think multiplats are really that bad on the PS3 that they aren't worth playing? People really over exaggerate this exclusive superiority thing, the 360 does generally have the better exclusives but most of the differences are minor, the kind of things only noticeable when the games are played side by side and who does that? You tend to get about 2-4 games a year where the 360 version is really noticeably better, but what's four games out of a library of hundreds?

when did I say that? :|

also, according to sources like IGN , lens of truth and eurogamer it's more then just 4 games per year... much more

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

[QUOTE="Whiteknight19"]

[QUOTE="67gt500"]I'm not convinced... to this very day, PS3 versions of multiplatform games still come up short compared to their xbox360 counterparts... the quality is improving, but clearly PS3 is the weaker machine...hyperjayson

yes, multiplats seems to be developed for the 360 and later ported to the ps3, it would explain why mulitplats are genrally inferior if your looking at the ps3 version, likewise, if multiplats are developed for the ps3 the 360 would get the inferior ones

RDR and FF13 are good examples of this.

genaroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 genaroll
Member since 2010 • 710 Posts

[QUOTE="hyperjayson"]

[QUOTE="Whiteknight19"] 1st of all ps3 aint a weaker machine exclusives says it all there has been so many exclusives on the on the 360 that hasnt come close to any ps3 game maybe mass effect so it clearly shows that the ps3 had abit more power then the 360. The reason multiplats are better cos the 360 is no different to a pc which is easy to develop 4

dercoo

RDR and FF13 are good examples of this.

Red dead is better on the 360 and ff13 looks better because of space issues.
en3sge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 en3sge
[QUOTE="67gt500"]I'm not convinced... to this very day, PS3 versions of multiplatform games still come up short compared to their xbox360 counterparts... the quality is improving, but clearly PS3 is the weaker machine...ArcFatalix
No, both have different architecture, if you utilize ps3 strengths like FFxiii it will end up 3 discs 540p on the xbox, most games fill up just 7 gb on the blu ray guess why? 360 is the lead platform the lowest denominator hence the ps3 suffers still most ports nowadays are really good. PS3 exclusives > multiplatforms > 360 exclusives

I agree and also disagree with this. It all depends whether the developer is going down the 'program the game if it was on pc' route or the 'program specific to the machine architecture' route. The 360 is only the lowest common denominator when it comes to CPU. Only problem is, the CPU on the ps3 can also be used (to some extent) as a GPU, which makes it hard working our which system is truly better. I believe it comes down to the programming technique. Different techniques work better on each machine. One is not necessarily better than the other, it just depends on the people writing the code. I also believe that the PS3 requires more time to program efficiently. Not every deveoper has the luxury of polyphony digital to release the game only when its ready. Getting your head around 6 or 7 SPUs must be hard when you are on the same time budget as the team deveoping for 3 general cores only.