Instant Game Collection VS Games With Gold. Which is best?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) 4 months, 11 days ago

Poll: Instant Game Collection VS Games With Gold. Which is best? (45 votes)

IGC 82%
GwG 11%
Neither 7%

We discuss the benefits and the downfalls of each. Vote for your more preferred service and tell SW what you really think!

My vote drops for IGC.

The value it produces overpays the amount you pay to stay subscribed. Depending on taste this could involve all games given on any passing month and boy do they start to stack up. I expect to own a Vita(OLED) in about 2 weeks and I have Vita games stacked to the damn roof from the middle of last year, if I saved up enough to buy a full year tier I would be sitting pretty for a while without having to buy anything new.

As for main console titles it is hit or miss but I have enough banked that it becomes silly not to keep on going to see what's offered next month. Has there been down months where I have had most of the stuff offered? Yes. Has that depreciated the value of the subscription? Surprisingly not, some how I have this etheral backlog that never seems to go down. Usually when there's one month of nothing the next month seems to pull up the slack.

I admit that a newbie would find it a bit lackluster if he/she's first subscription did not bear any fruit because I feel as if you have to witness at least 2 consecutive months to feel the benefit, luckily there's a tier for 3 months at an affordable price. The games will be recent and that's one of the biggest positives for the service, IMO and therefore you may have less chance of finding something you have played. People jumping in with the PS4 aren't going to see many of the benefits until way into the gen. For none PS4 owners you should start banking the titles through the browser service so when you get the console you have all these free games to play off the bat. The people who really win on all fronts with this service are the people who own all three PS platforms. You honestly start getting spoiled for choice.

The renting over 'technically owning' the games goes out the window when I think back to the games I've been lucky to play through IGC I usually forget after my first play through. I buy all of the games I genuinely do want physically. It's a neat lil service that fills in all those gaps of games you probably missed or didn't want to spend money on to buy day one just for the sake of it.

Anyway, SW is a bit tame as of late so we need some fighting topics. Discuss.

#1 Posted by MonsieurX (28613 posts) -

You don't get pasts months games offered on psn +, so hardly an "instant game collection"

#2 Posted by misterpmedia (3362 posts) -

You don't get pasts months games offered on psn +, so hardly an "instant game collection"

Agree, I addressed that technically in the newbie paragraph.

#3 Posted by yokofox33 (28885 posts) -

I prefer PS+ and its Instant Game Collection. Just has better games in my opinion. Ones that appeal to me more. And they seem to be on the "newer" side.

#4 Posted by starwolf474 (400 posts) -

Neither are very important to me, but I prefer Games with Gold because I get to own the games that they give. The Instant Game Collection has never had any value to me because I don't like renting games. It is very important to me that I own the games that I play.

#5 Posted by freedomfreak (38118 posts) -

PS+ has better offerings, but owning the game>renting it.

#6 Edited by Spartan070 (16307 posts) -

I'll let you know in a month or two, literally just ordered a PS4 off Amazon about 5 hours ago. I've had an X1 since launch but I'm upset that Games for Gold isn't relative on that yet.

Just realized that I'm getting Resogun free for getting a PS+ sub, cool.

#7 Posted by bobbetybob (19086 posts) -

They're completely different and I don't know why people keep comparing them. The IGC was the ONLY point to owning PS+ until they made it mandatory for online, sure you had a couple of minor things like cloud saves, but nobody was subscribing for anything but the games.

XBL has always been a paid service offering online functionality, Games with Gold is just something they threw in as a bonus so anybody expecting it to be on the same level as the IGC (which came about solely to justify PS+'s existence) is being silly.

#8 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16027 posts) -

#9 Posted by SolidTy (41427 posts) -

Instant Game Collection.

If Games for Gold had better and MUCH newer games, despite only offering a tiny amount of games per month it could be good. Plus, Games for Gold doesn't even work on Xbone.

#10 Posted by XboxDone74 (2047 posts) -

Hell, igc destroys Steam so of course it will bear gold

#11 Posted by jimmarko21876 (413 posts) -

Neither are very important to me, but I prefer Games with Gold because I get to own the games that they give. The Instant Game Collection has never had any value to me because I don't like renting games. It is very important to me that I own the games that I play.

I used to feel that way. Now that I own Lair and Too Human from last gen,I wish they would go away after stopping a subscription. :)

#12 Posted by Harisemo (4132 posts) -

This.

#13 Posted by MonsieurX (28613 posts) -

Hell, igc destroys Steam so of course it will bear gold

How does it destroy Steam exactly?

#14 Edited by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

IGC. I don't mind the rental aspect, I rarely go back and play a game after I've had my play through.

#15 Posted by tymeservesfate (1469 posts) -

Microsoft explores the "constraints" of the free Xbox Games with Gold scheme

its really a toss up between someone who values owning a game or if just renting one is valued. depends on the person and the games...and Microsoft has given out some good games that will always be there to return to if desired.

"In closing, Spencer remarked that we'll hear more about free Xbox Games with Gold for Xbox One "fairly soon". What do you think - would you prefer to rent newer games, or take permanent ownership of older ones? Bookmark our free Xbox games list for all the giveaways as they surface"

#16 Posted by jsmoke03 (12471 posts) -

igc is a rent type of service, but what is great about it is that these are relevant games. AAA titles that came out 2 years ago is still pretty expensive

g4g lets you keep the games, but any AAA title they released are games that are4-6 years old. i mean i can pick up ac2 and halo 3 for lik $5 each

#17 Edited by X_CAPCOM_X (5995 posts) -

False. You own them as long as you're a PS+ member with igc; it's not rental. I have a load of free games on backlog because of this. Do you own a PS3?

#18 Posted by Senor_Kami (8247 posts) -

PS+ is an insanely better deal. You can currently download Bioshock Infinite and Tomb Raider. GwG is offering Civ Rev. Not a bad game but it's like 5 years old. GwG regularly digs through the drecks to pull up some extremely lackluster content or something that is decent but is old as hell. PS+ is a better deal for getting games to play. This isn't even arguable. You can maybe say you don't get to own the games with PS+ but while you have it, you get way more and way better content. Own mediocre games forever or play great games while you have the service. Not a hard choice to make.

#19 Posted by RossRichard (2294 posts) -

With IGC, you get better games, and more of them.

Games with Gold would be great if I didn't already buy those games years ago out of the clearance bin.

#20 Posted by tyloss (829 posts) -

Everyone: IGC

Fanboys: GWG

#21 Posted by Chutebox (36166 posts) -

Easily IGC

#22 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8403 posts) -

Instant Game Collection no contest.

#23 Posted by starwolf474 (400 posts) -

@starwolf474 said:

False. You own them as long as you're a PS+ member with igc; it's not rental. I have a load of free games on backlog because of this. Do you own a PS3?

And what happens when you stop subscribing? Can you still play the games? No, you can't play it when you are not subscribed to the service anymore which means that it was a rental and I hate rentals. If you don't mind rentals then I'm sure The Instant Game Collection is a great value for you, but call it what it is and don't try to pretend that you are being given free games when you are only renting.

And yes, to answer your question, I do own a PS3 and I like my PS3 (except the controller). Here is a picture of my PS3 sitting right next to my Xbox 360 like good friends (if only this board could be the same). And do you see that empty spot next to the Wii U, there will be a PS4 sitting in that spot soon. But one thing will never change, I will always hate rentals and therefore I will never be a fan of The Instant Game Collection; even if I subscribe to PS+ for the online, I will still buy my games instead of playing them from The Instant Game Collection.

#24 Posted by Prawephet (51 posts) -

@starwolf474: Id rather rent infamous than own barbies island adventure...

#25 Posted by lostrib (31417 posts) -

The instant game collection just means that there are 12 games available no matter what when you sign up for PS+, and then one or two of those games rotates monthly

#26 Posted by Heil68 (42552 posts) -

IGC for sure.

#27 Posted by Spartan070 (16307 posts) -

This is old school classic SW ownage right here, sry Capcom :P

#28 Edited by GTSaiyanjin2 (5672 posts) -

IGC with PS+... On the PS3 if you only look at the IGC your going to miss out on a lot of games. I usually just use the website now, but on the PS3 it was not always straight forward in showing me the new games each month. GWG I have never bothered downloading a game from it, even though I'm a gold member... I do own most of the game they have offered, and the others I didnt care for. Also PS+ is for the Vita,PS3, and PS4, and I have all 3 so I get games for all my systems. MS needs to step up, and I would welcome that since I have very few games to play on my xbone, I would welcome anything at this point.

#29 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28308 posts) -

lol gotta love the moniker change.

Ps plus no no gotta call it IGC and we cannot compare the two in their first year it IS REQUIRED that the latest ps plus offerings be compared to the first year of game with gold.
Simple first year of games with gold vs first year of ps plus, the fair comparison shows that games with gold is superior because games with gold might have a few old games but ps plus in its first year as complete shit.

#30 Posted by glez13 (8498 posts) -

PS+ seems to offer better games and has been on for longer but with Gold the games are really yours. So far probably PS+.

#31 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5218 posts) -

Oh look, what do we have here, the French guy who likes to bag on everything PlayStation and who is in EVERY PS related thread, just to talk smack.... how surprising! lol...

Seriously don't you have something better to do? Did Sony kill your firstborn? Or are you some hardcore sheep who hates the fact that they get love that nintny doesn't anymore? I just don't get you and your hate?

Maybe, just maybe, someone can buy you a PlayStation console so you won't be so jaded. My god man, you post hate and sneak jabs in ever PS post.

As for the topic at hand. The IGC is amazing and PS+ gets better all the time. I have been subbed since day 1 and I can tell you that my backlog is a mile long. I never run out of games to play. When I hear , people complain about nothing to play it shocks me as there is 100s of games I haven't beat on all PS platforms and PC and 3ds.

You get a crap ton of games just for signing up that well warrants the asking price:

PS4:
Dead Nation
Resogun

PS3:
Lone Survivor DC
Tomb Raider (2013)
Remember Me
Payday 2
Brothers
Bio Shock Infinite
Dyad
Borderlands 2
Binary Domain
Uncharted 3
LBP Karting
XCOM Enemy Unknown

Vita:
MOD Nation Road Trip
Street Fighter VS. Tekken
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Gravity Rush
Worms Battle Islands
Wipeout 2048
Lone Survivor DC

21 games if you own all 3 platforms like myself. A phenomenal deal and all recent titles!

Now if you only have ps4 you will not get as much but the system just came out there isn't enough games yet to give to it.

Thats 21 games to star t with and a new PS4 game per month, 3 ps3 games and 1-2 vita games per month. That is 5-6 games added per month for less than the cost of XBL. and 5000x the value of xbl.

#32 Edited by FrKnPuertoRican (2995 posts) -

No point in owning games you are only going to play through once. PS+ all the way.

#33 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3666 posts) -

@starwolf474: that's some good ownage there, delivered with a generous helping of diplomacy.

good on you soldier.

#34 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5218 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X said:

@starwolf474 said:

And what happens when you stop subscribing? Can you still play the games? No, you can't play it when you are not subscribed to the service anymore which means that it was a rental and I hate rentals. If you don't mind rentals then I'm sure The Instant Game Collection is a great value for you, but call it what it is and don't try to pretend that you are being given free games when you are only renting.

And yes, to answer your question, I do own a PS3 and I like my PS3 (except the controller). Here is a picture of my PS3 sitting right next to my Xbox 360 like good friends (if only this board could be the same). And do you see that empty spot next to the Wii U, there will be a PS4 sitting in that spot soon. But one thing will never change, I will always hate rentals and therefore I will never be a fan of The Instant Game Collection; even if I subscribe to PS+ for the online, I will still buy my games instead of playing them from The Instant Game Collection.

So, what? Guess what, you want to play the game again, just re-sub... you get ALL the games you marked or downloaded on PS+ back again, instantly. Its not like you loose them and that is something you people who don't have it are missing out. Most games I download on Plus are games I didn't have money to buy. I buy the games I can afford, which is about 1 - 2 a month maybe and plus , plus sales and steam sales cover the rest.

#35 Posted by Midnightshade29 (5218 posts) -

Its not a rental at all. The games are there as long as you have the sub, and if you unsubscribe and resubscribe you get them all back. How hard is this to understand. ANyone who has a ps4 is going to have plus anyway, so its a freebie in that case, and if you own all 3 platforms like i do, you would be stupid not to get plus.

#36 Posted by silversix_ (13536 posts) -

Games With Gold

#37 Posted by hoosier7 (3654 posts) -

Do you even know what PS+ is?

There is PS+ and there's the IGC (don't know why TC uses the latter). As part of PS+ you get the monthly games plus the IGC which is a set of titles available throughout a year. The PS4 doesn't have an IGC yet for obvious reasons but i believe it's UC3 and XCOM atm, InFamous 2 was last years i think amongst other titles. This is so there's always a few games to get you off the ground.

So yeh there is an instant game collection. In fact looking now you can sign up and get for PS3, Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Borderlands 2, Uncharted 3, XCOM, LBP Karting and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. Seems pretty instant to me.

#38 Posted by freedomfreak (38118 posts) -

Its not a rental at all. The games are there as long as you have the sub, and if you unsubscribe and resubscribe you get them all back. How hard is this to understand. ANyone who has a ps4 is going to have plus anyway, so its a freebie in that case, and if you own all 3 platforms like i do, you would be stupid not to get plus.

Yup. They leave when I unsubscribe. Same can't be said about GwG. I don't have to keep paying in order to access my games.

Now that's not hard to understand.

#39 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Funny you equate owning to digital content.

#40 Posted by SolidTy (41427 posts) -

@Gargus said:

@starwolf474 said:

Funny you equate owning to digital content.

That's for sure.

As a collector I avoid DD games unless significantly discounted or the game is a highly rated DD game I can't buy at retail.

#41 Posted by handssss (1618 posts) -

@Midnightshade29 said:

Yup. They leave when I unsubscribe. Same can't be said about GwG. I don't have to keep paying in order to access my games.

Now that's not hard to understand.

It's like you're renting an apartment and you bitch about not owning the shower or something if you were to move out. It's still going to be there should you choose to keep paying or if you stop and come back in a month. As long as you have it, nobody can take it from you because it's yours and you decide who gets to use it.

I had gold for a decade and only unsubscribed because I didn't feel like buying an Xbox One. Sure MAYBE this matters if you're a fickle person and don't feel like being subscribed for a month, but you aren't paying for the games, they are a bonus. A bonus of no additional charge. The past 2 months, I've downloaded DmC, Bioshock, and TR and I still have Borderlands 2, Battlefield 3, Deus Ex HR, and Saints Row 3. Paying for all of these at time of download would've easily cost me over $200. Still not even close to the end of my 1 year sub and I've already gotten to thoroughly enjoy all of these titles.

Cling to your "but I own them!!!" stance on GWG all you want, it doesn't mean much when an entire year of those ancient or arcade games costs less to purchase in a store than it does with a sub.