inFamous: Second Son Designer Leaves Sony

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Jaime Griesemer, who served as lead designer on Infamous: Second Son, has left the Sony-owned Sucker Punch Productions. He announced the news on Twitter.

"I'm excited for people to get their hands on it. And yes, I have left [Sucker Punch]," Griesemer said. "Not really talking about it yet, tho."

Before joining Sucker Punch in 2011, Griesemer worked at Bungie for 12 years. His credits include Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, Halo Wars, Halo: Reach, and Destiny.

Griesemer provided GameSpot a statement today regarding his departure from Sony. You can read it in full below.

"I appreciate all the well-wishes on the news that I am leaving Sucker Punch, but please don’t take the timing as cause for concern about Second Son--it’s a great game that I am proud to have on my resume and I can’t wait for everyone to play it--or Sucker Punch--a studio on the rise with a bright future--or Sony--a great organization with some of the savviest, most pro-gamer executives in the business. And while I am honored to be mentioned in the same articles as legendary designers like Amy Hennig and Stig Asmussen, please don’t look too hard for some sinister pattern."

"The truth is that any creative, vibrant industry is necessarily volatile; the only sure bet is that the next few years will not look the same as the last. Change is part of the job, but along with the upheaval and uncertainty, there’s opportunity and new challenges. It’s an exciting time to be a free agent and I'm going to go see what’s out there. Simple as that…"

SOURCE

Thoughts?

Kiro0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Kiro0
Member since 2009 • 1176 Posts

Chaz is ignoring the part he bolded by the way. I have the inside scoop.

Yangire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Yangire
Member since 2010 • 8795 Posts

Who's next?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Is this is the new meta then.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

Char despite us arguing, and you're probably going to hate me you're a week late :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Solid_Max13 said:

Char despite us arguing, and you're probably going to hate me you're a week late :P

I know the news is old, but I didn't see it posted anywhere lol. Although admittedly the search function sucks...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

And while I am honored to be mentioned in the same articles as legendary designers like Amy Hennig and Stig Asmussen, please don’t look too hard for some sinister pattern."

LIVE, LEARN and LOVE, The SONY way.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Solid_Max13

@Heil68 said:

And while I am honored to be mentioned in the same articles as legendary designers like Amy Hennig and Stig Asmussen, please don’t look too hard for some sinister pattern."

LIVE, LEARN and LOVE, The SONY way.

Heres the dot's connected!

Connecting dots where they don't need to be connected.

Stig and his team spent almost 100 million dollars on a game that failed every QA test that took. The game sucked. They shitcanned the game and a lot of the people involved. They offered stig a spot on barlog's project - he didn't want to go from game director to something lesser so he quit.

This makes sense, right? Shitty game, money wasted, people fired, head guy leaves out of ego? I mean that all makes sense.

Amy Hennig has creative differences about the direction that UC4 should go in. Egos swell, she leaves. She's happy, she will make another studio much better when she gets there. Justin Richmond, an ally of Hennig's, gets an offer he can't refuse from Riot. He leaves.

These things happen. Naughty Dog is going to be fine. UC4 will still be awesome. Riot will be better with the pickup of Richmond and whoever gets Hennig will be better off. The sky isn't falling.

Guerilla Cambridge is working on a vita game that is shit and won't sell. They slim down as they retool for another project.

Again - this isn't new. This happens a lot.

The director of Driveclub doesn't deliver the game on time. Given more time the game still needs work. He is replaced.

Wouldn't you replace him? Wouldn't you shitcan stig's project that cost them almost 100 mil and had nothing of value to show for it? In fact they should have done it two years ago. The fact they let it go this far is a testament to how much they believed in him after GoW 3.

And all of this is happening before the fiscal year ends. Is sony trimming fat? Of course. Sony corporation is not in a great spot. So they are tightening up a bit. But a lot of people are connecting dots that don't need to be connected. Hennig/Richmond is about creative differences and ego. Stig is about wasted money and time. Col Rogers (driveclub) is about failing to deliver. Taken on their own they all make sense. Combine them together and you get glenn beck with a chalkboard.

And Jack Tretton was about money and inability to move up. He will make more money and have more power somewhere else - something Sony simply could not offer him. Shit happens.

It's the same with the xbox department guys. People move around. People leave for other companies. Shit happens.

I don't know what cambridge is working on. I don't think they know. I think they slimmed down as they figure out what they are doing next. If/when that's approved, they will hire people again. Many studios operate like this. Especially lower-tier ones like GC.

I heard various numbers between 75mil and 90 mil for stig's game. I said "almost 100" because, well, both are almost 100 mil. They restarted the game, from scratch, THREE TIMES! And it sucked every time. The whole "it was too much like destiny" thing is bullshit. It was more horror-ish and like Dead Space than Destiny. That whole thing was sony jumping on the grenade to help stig save face. And help themselves save face as they wasted a fucking TON of money.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

infamous..2nd lay off.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

A lot of "dude is leaving this company" lately.

Not calling you out, TC, but you are a filthy lemming.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

There were designers for Infamous SS? I thought they just copied and pasted the code from Infamous 2 and improved the graphics. This is news to me.... jk The game is ok. There is something going on though..... Better be something good!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@freedomfreak said:

A lot of "dude is leaving this company" lately.

Not calling you out, TC, but you are a filthy lemming.

:(

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Just when I thought PS4 was going to get some games another developer gets up and leaves.....

I didn't buy a PS4 for indies that my 10 year old laptop can play, Sony.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Guys, because I have a lot of respect for this guy, I will respect his wishes and not join the dots. However, i will lay the dots down here for anyone to join, should they wish to:

• Stig Asmussen leaves Sony Santa Monica
  • Amy Hennig leaves Naughty Dog
  • New IP at Sony Santa Monica is canceled; studio suffers immense downsizing
  • Jack Tretton leaves Sony
  • Massive layoffs at Sony Cambridge, Geurrilla Games, and SCE London; at least one more game cancelled
  • Layoffs at Evolution Studios- DriveClub allegedly 'not affected'
  • Justin Richmond leaves Naughty Dog
  • Jaime Greisemer, lead designer of inFamous: Second Son, leaves Sucker Punch

Of course, by posting this here, I mean absolutely nothing.

Except that I am a filthy lemming, so if you call me that, you have caught on to my true intent.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

The 2xSMAA was just too costly.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Solid_Max13

@treedoor said:

Just when I thought PS4 was going to get some games another developer gets up and leaves.....

I didn't buy a PS4 for indies that my 10 year old laptop can play, Sony.

I Doubt you have a PS4 you're known for being a lem.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

Guys, because I have a lot of respect for this guy, I will respect his wishes and not join the dots. However, i will lay the dots down here for anyone to join, should they wish to:

• Stig Asmussen leaves Sony Santa Monica
  • Amy Hennig leaves Naughty Dog
  • New IP at Sony Santa Monica is canceled; studio suffers immense downsizing
  • Jack Tretton leaves Sony
  • Massive layoffs at Sony Cambridge, Geurrilla Games, and SCE London; at least one more game cancelled
  • Layoffs at Evolution Studios- DriveClub allegedly 'not affected'
  • Justin Richmond leaves Naughty Dog
  • Jaime Greisemer, lead designer of inFamous: Second Son, leaves Sucker Punch

Of course, by posting this here, I mean absolutely nothing.

Except that I am a filthy lemming, so if you call me that, you have caught on to my true intent.

You should know by now that if you don't worship the ground that Sony or any of their devs walks on you are a Lemming. I think Kaz beats Cows if they act up or something. That's why they act like looney tunes and say strange things like "Live Love Learn" in every post. They know Sony is watching.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Solid_Max13 said:

I know the news is old, but I didn't see it posted anywhere lol. Although admittedly the search function sucks...

It does lol. But sadly this has already been posted. Sorry Char.