INFAMOUS DEV SUCKER PUNCH SUFFERS LAYOFFS - IGN

#1 Edited by biggest_loser (24029 posts) -
#2 Posted by cainetao11 (16839 posts) -

that sucks

#3 Posted by topgunmv (10168 posts) -

I'm surprised the game industry still has people willing to work in it, seasonal workers at department stores seem to have more job security.

#4 Posted by Promised_Trini (3584 posts) -

That sucks.

#5 Posted by Shewgenja (8441 posts) -

I thought this stuff was routine.

#6 Posted by Spitfire-Six (501 posts) -

@topgunmv: Dude, I know you guys don't keep up with it much but the entertainment industry sucks for creative types in general, you have most companies hiring artist as contractors so that they can just not renew you once they are done with the project. Games is better because it takes forever to finish a game so you get at least 3 year job security if your working on a game. don't even ask abut VFX guys poor guys hired and fired per job

#7 Edited by handssss (1820 posts) -

I thought this stuff was routine.

well it matches up. I'm sure pretty much all of the work on First Light is done by now, so it'd be another one of those end of project kinda things.

#8 Posted by mems_1224 (46485 posts) -

not surprised. second son sucked

#9 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (644 posts) -

Good hopes to all the ppl that had to leave Sucker Punch.

Second Sony was a tremendously fun game....best wishes to the minds that helped bring it to life.

#10 Posted by Solid_Max13 (3527 posts) -

Did we really need the title in ALL CAPS!!! I mean seriously...

#11 Posted by SolidTy (42403 posts) -

That's how it goes in the game industry, ups and downs. Hollywood is no better.

Did we really need the title in ALL CAPS!!! I mean seriously...

What was the deal?

#12 Posted by getyeryayasout (7163 posts) -

Probably because the Infamous First Light DLC is wrapped-up and ready for launch.

#13 Posted by manny280 (1990 posts) -

Such a shame. It's rumored on twitter that 20% of the studio was laid off and it includes some who were there since the early Sly games.

#14 Posted by magicalclick (22426 posts) -

Since they technically only confirm "reduction in workforce". Exactly method of reduction is unknown. It could be layoff, does not renew contract, or fired. That's hope it is not fired, because they won't be able to collect unemployment insurance.

#15 Posted by Elpresador-911 (204 posts) -

people get layed off all the time in the industry, not sure why ign has to make a big deal of it everytime it happened

#16 Posted by darkspineslayer (19538 posts) -

Best of luck to those talented people. Losing your job always sucks, hope they land on their feet quickly.

#17 Posted by Primorandomguy (16 posts) -

No it didn't, it wasn't the best game ever, but it was enjoyable. Besides, surely you know that the sales nor the quality of I:SS had nothing to do with these lay offs. Last I heard it sold well anyway. Lay offs happen for a plethora of reasons. It's unfortunate when it happens though.

#18 Edited by lamprey263 (23089 posts) -

Haha, that was kind of blind-sighted (an synonym for being "sucker-punched")... but seriously though, that does suck to lose jobs, but we don't know why. I think people assume the worse like their last game under-performed publisher expectations so the parent company (SCE) reduced their budget or forced a staff reduction. But, it might not be that sinister. It could simply be that through this last project the studio leadership felt they needed to bring new people in and replace some of the staff. Or, maybe most those laid off were game testers. Unless someone involved speaks up I guess we'll never know. Anyhow, seems when any project ends there's usually a staff reduction, only difference between companies is probably whether they report it or not.

#19 Posted by D4RKL1NG (234 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

No it didn't, it wasn't the best game ever, but it was enjoyable. Besides, surely you know that the sales nor the quality of I:SS had nothing to do with these lay offs. Last I heard it sold well anyway. Lay offs happen for a plethora of reasons. It's unfortunate when it happens though.

Ignore m(L)ems_1224. His ignorance knows no bounds. But I admire his will power to try and keep on "trolling"

#20 Posted by farrell2k (5793 posts) -

Bad IPs don't sell well enough to keep their developers paid. Oh, well. The market has spoken and it doesn't like Infamous or Sly.

#21 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (644 posts) -

Bad IPs don't sell well enough to keep their developers paid. Oh, well. The market has spoken and it doesn't like Infamous or Sly.

Supposedly Ubisofts games don't sell well on the WiiU...does that mean they are bad IPs?

Infamous SS sold pretty well considering the console was only out for like 6 months.

And you of all ppl should know that sales aren't what you go by....I mean...by that standard the WiiU is shit.....right? But hey....I'm sure the thousanth Mario can save the abysmal sales of the WiiU.

#22 Edited by Sollet (7338 posts) -

CAPSLOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL!

Seriously ugh... Anyways on topic:

Sucks, but these things seems to happen often in the gaming industry these days.

#24 Posted by farrell2k (5793 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

Supposedly Ubisofts games don't sell well on the WiiU...does that mean they are bad IPs?

Infamous SS sold pretty well considering the console was only out for like 6 months.

And you of all ppl should know that sales aren't what you go by....I mean...by that standard the WiiU is shit.....right? But hey....I'm sure the thousanth Mario can save the abysmal sales of the WiiU.

Didn't sell well enough to keep all of its developers employed. The market has spoken. Deal with it, cow.

#25 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

flagged

#26 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (644 posts) -

@mr_huggles_dog said:

@farrell2k said:

Didn't sell well enough to keep all of its developers employed. The market has spoken. Deal with it, cow.

Just saying....the same could be said about the WiiU.

Get ready to have this happen to some Nintendo ppl.....Nintendo fanboy.

#27 Posted by scottpsfan14 (3698 posts) -

farrell2k, probably the worst poster on this site. Nothing but misinformation day after day. You're worse than FreedomFreeLife.

#28 Posted by clyde46 (44806 posts) -

Such is the freelance life.

#29 Posted by nutcrackr (12457 posts) -

No numbers, hard to draw conclusions. 20% is a fairly large chunk though if true.

#30 Posted by GrenadeLauncher (4007 posts) -

Studio wind down after Infamous First Light wrapped up.

Hardly on the scale of the bloodletting Rare suffered when KSR flopped.

#31 Edited by Malta_1980 (11215 posts) -

Its becoming quite common in the gaming industry.. Companies announce lay-offs, then when a new project is coming up or else running late on schedules these same companies hire ppl..

#32 Posted by KBFloYd (13122 posts) -

a pity...oh well. sales must not have been as expected.

#33 Posted by ni6htmare01 (910 posts) -

Yeah of cause it sucks! Anything by Sony is automatically suck for you!

#34 Edited by commonfate (12252 posts) -

FUCK I DONT KNOW HOW TO HANDLE THIS NEWS

#35 Posted by chikenfriedrice (9828 posts) -

I didn't like Infamous:SS but the news does suck

#36 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (1926 posts) -

@farrell2k said:

farrell2k, probably the worst poster on this site. Nothing but misinformation day after day. You're worse than FreedomFreeLife.

yea, does not even troll well... guess that why nobody pay attention to his posting now.

#37 Posted by heretrix (37306 posts) -

It's a vicious cycle, but one that is pretty common in the industry at this point. A project starts, people get hired at various points until you get to a point where you need as many hands as possible on it. Once it's over, people are let go. Sucker Punch probably had to ramp up Infamous because it was supposed to be a high profile launch title.

While it sucks to be in that situation, it's not really something I would consider newsworthy.

I hope everybody lands on their feet. It can be rough out there.

#38 Posted by magicalclick (22426 posts) -

@heretrix:

That's a horrible system that I really wish console makers at least don't leading such terrible trend.

#39 Edited by WilliamRLBaker (28357 posts) -

bubbubububbubuubububub Sony never fires or lay's off anyone, they are a charitable organization that people just make games for for free, they never charge for anything, and never use any sort of practices that are evil....except when Microsoft forces them to with mind control.

#40 Posted by Mr_Huggles_dog (644 posts) -

bubbubububbubuubububub Sony never fires or lay's off anyone, they are a charitable organization that people just make games for for free, they never charge for anything, and never use any sort of practices that are evil....except when Microsoft forces them to with mind control.

That shit ain't even true by Sony fanboy logic.

Way to over exaggerate things.

#41 Posted by Evo_nine (1628 posts) -

well....that's what happens when your game flops.

#42 Edited by Liquid_ (2430 posts) -

@D4RKL1NG said:

@primorandomguy said:

@mems_1224 said:

Ignore m(L)ems_1224. His ignorance knows no bounds. But I admire his will power to try and keep on "trolling"

will power? I just assumed it was his low IQ